Monday Night Game Thread:Red Sox at Indians- Buchholz vs. Masterson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Monday Night Game Thread:Red Sox at Indians- Buchholz vs. Masterson

Go Sox!

Here are the lineups:

RED SOX (25-21)
    Ellsbury CF
    Pedroia 2B
    Gonzalez 1B
    Youkilis 3B
    Ortiz 1B
    Drew RF
    Lowrie SS
    Crawford LF
    Saltalamacchia C

Pitching: RHP Clay Buchholz (4-3, 3.42).

INDIANS (29-15)
    Brantley CF
    A. Cabrera SS
    Choo RF
    Buck DH
    Laporta 1B
    O. Cabrera 2B
    Hannahan 3B
    Kearns LF
    Marson C

Pitching: RHP Justin Masterson (5-2, 2.52).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Re: Monday Night Game Thread:Red Sox at Indians- Buchholz vs. Masterson

Can Red Sox lefties get to Masterson
    By ESPN
    Keep an eye on how Red Sox lefties fare against the surprising Justin Masterson (5-2, 2.25 ERA) tonight in Cleveland. 
    While the right-handed Masterson has limited right-handed batters to a .141 batting average, the lowest of any major-league pitcher this year, lefties are hitting .326 against him, the fourth-highest average in the majors (minimum 100 PA).

Left-handers have an OPS against Masterson that is over twice as high as right-handers, and righties both miss and chase his pitches at a much higher rate.

Those differences could prove dangerous for Masterson tonight. Seven of Boston’s nine regular hitters bat left-handed, including switch-hitters
    Jed Lowrie and Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Curiously though, of those seven batters, six have faced Masterson before (
    Adrian Gonzalez excluded), and they have combined for a .185 average (5 for 27) with 2 home runs.

Another key for Masterson will be continuing his success at inducing ground balls. At 59.7 percent, he has the fifth-highest ground-ball rate of any pitcher this season. According to Fangraphs, the Red Sox are an average team in that category this year, ranking eighth in the American League at 44.3 percent.

Masterson, of course, was traded from Boston to Cleveland in the deal that sent
    Victor Martinez to the Red Sox a couple of years ago. He did not face his former team when Cleveland swept Boston in the season’s opening week. But in two starts against the Red Sox last year, he surrendered one run in 14 innings and held them to a .133 average, as the Indians won both games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

Go indians!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Monday Night Game Thread:Red Sox at Indians- Buchholz vs. Masterson:
    [QUOTE]Go indians!!
    Posted by --The--Babe--1[/QUOTE]

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

7. Go Red Sox!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Edith Bunker,

I like that analysis on lefty hitters vs. Masterson.  Tonight the Sox will have five lefties and two switch-hitters (of those two, Jed and Salty, the latter is better from the left side).  And the two righties are Pedroia and Youk. 

The scary part though is that the Indians are 18-4 on their home turf.  Of course, the Sox recently took three straight at Yankee Stadium, so who knows?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I've always wished the Sox traded Manny DelCarmen for Martinez and kept Masterson instead.I know they've tried to get the Indians to trade him back,but Cleveland didn't want to.
      He's having a pretty good year so far and I wish him well,except against the Sox of course.This should be a pretty good series against a surprisingly tough Indians team.Masterson's pitched well against Boston,with 2 starts he's 2-0,pitched 14 innings and has a 0.64 ERA. 
       Boston's going to have to try to get to him early and make him throw a lot of pitches to get into Cleveland's bullpen in order to win. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

THE SOX USED TO HAVE A GUY NAMED  MASTERSON !!   UMMMMM

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I've got nothin' else to do tonight, let's hit'um hard and hit'um early boys!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Monday Night Game Thread:Red Sox at Indians- Buchholz vs. Masterson:
    [QUOTE]  THE SOX USED TO HAVE A GUY NAMED  MASTERSON !!   UMMMMM
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]
    And they also had a playoff team in 2009 ...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

It should be a great game and I definitely miss Masterson.  I wish he was never traded, but Martinez was a good addition to the Red Sox.  I wish Martinez was still with the Red Sox.  If they had resigned Martinez, I am not sure who would not be on the current Red Sox team.    Unfortunately, I won't watch much of the Red Sox game since the Bruins are on.  I will watch the Bruins game once that begins. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

[QUOTE]  THE SOX USED TO HAVE A GUY NAMED  MASTERSON !!   UMMMMM
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]
    Yes, they got a .300 hitting catcher for him, win-win trade.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Challenging series coming up for the Sox, glad they have the top of their rotation going.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dtcarcy18. Show dtcarcy18's posts

Clouds are moving in after a sunny day here in C-town.  Feeling dubious that they get this game in.

As a Cleveland fan, not to sound like a coward, but i would love to have some postponed games so we can play Boston with Sizemore/Hafner in the lineup.  We are resting Santana tonight and essentially throwing a AAA lineup at you.  Its all on Masterson.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Two sinker ball pitchers in 2 days - Masterson and Carmona.

Hopefully Sox batters can light it up against both, and a little pay back to one of the teams that put Sox in early hole this season.

Here's to hoping Buch has a good game, and the BP too.

Go Sox !

• You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Monday Night Game Thread:Red Sox at Indians- Buchholz vs. Masterson : Yes, they got a .300 hitting catcher for him, win-win trade.
    Posted by joyceand[/QUOTE]

But Masterson is still pitching productively for the Indians !

Doesn't make sense to me how the GM's give up long term potential for a short term hired gun.  Don't know if Sox expected to keep VMart long term when they did the trade ?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Tarp is on, rain...means I have to really work...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

hi all,looking forward to this pitcher's duel. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Rain delays suck.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

no update?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

estimated start time is 8:05; tarp is coming off the field; pitchers warming

• You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]estimated start time is 8:05; tarp is coming off the field; pitchers warming
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Sweet

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

indians take the field.........let's go red sox; let's return the favor!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

Start us, Jacoby!