M.O.P. Dustin Pedroia

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: M.O.P. Dustin Pedroia

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

HFXSOXNUT: Yeah, Francona's gone too...after 8 years and 2 titles, compared to BV after 1 year and 93 losses...I guess they're even LOL. 

Red Sox history will treat Francona as a great success and BV as a joke.

And those 93 losses are the most by the Red Sox since 1965.

[/QUOTE]

yea, BV caused that by keeping the same players on the team who epically collapsed in 2011...

[/QUOTE]

The team that collapsed in 2011 still won 90 games.

The team that collapsed in 2012 won 69 games.

And like you said, they were the same players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Georoom= BV's agent.

I guess pitching the idea that this is the best draft pick the RS will have in the last 47 years is a good selling point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If the Cards win it all this year, will some of us finally see that the manager does not make that much of a difference?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So we have a player who is 29, is one of twwo players in MLB history to win a Rookie of the Year, Gold Glove, Silver Slugger and MVP in his first two seasons, and fans are turning on him as being overrated because he wasn't as personable and struggled with injuries?

Or is it because he was in the face of the manager who replaced the guy georom flogged daily?  How dare Pedroia  not kneel at the Altar of the Anti-Francona Savior?!!?!  Take off that sacriligious red pullover and don the new Holy Fake Mustache, you unwashed heathen!!!

Clearly, he is OVERRATED!!!

hey moe, look at his stats and tell me if you see a trend from the first part of his career and the second part....i would reconcile myself to this sad reality asap because when Pedey leaves to follow his man crush in Cleveland, you will be less hurt

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2011 was a career best season for him.  Fangraphs valued it at 7.9 WAR, which is not only a career high but also a higher value than Robinson Cano achieved this season.

In fact, Pedroia's 2012 was valued at 4.7 WAR, which is higher than Cano achieved in 2009, which was a season where he hit .320 / . 350 / .520 with 25 HRs.

I am waiting for this eveidence of downward trends.  And one season does not constitute a trend...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

HFXSOXNUT: Yeah, Francona's gone too...after 8 years and 2 titles, compared to BV after 1 year and 93 losses...I guess they're even LOL. 

Red Sox history will treat Francona as a great success and BV as a joke.

And those 93 losses are the most by the Red Sox since 1965.

[/QUOTE]

yea, BV caused that by keeping the same players on the team who epically collapsed in 2011...

[/QUOTE]

Even Butch Hobson did not lose 93 games.  And Francona did not lose 93 with the same players.

Oh wait, they were hurt for Valentine.  Except Pedroia, because you already said his injuries don't count...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

rbis, games played and homers are about the same for  DP & MA

stolen bases are the about the same for DP and PC (even though PC played 60 less games)

PC batting avg is 13 points higher....facts are vstubborn things...and anyone who thinks pedroia is a leader is stupid....he's a passive aggressive child who cant keep his mouth shut...you know those same qualities you despised valentine for....if some team is dumb enough to get us a quality pitcher for pedroia, then we should make th deal...pedro C over a full year at 2b will be just as good

bootlickers never prosper

[/QUOTE]

Give Ciriaco 600 ABs and you will see a rapid decline.  In fact, you saw it in Spetember.  Many probably wrote it off as a slump, and I might have too had a not predicted it with remarkable accuracy 6 weeks earlier. Ciriaco is an AAAA utility infielder, and if your perception is so good as to notice a decline in Pedroia's stats, you should see how bland Ciriaco is extremely clearly.

PPedroia is no declining.  He is as good as ever.  Sorry, he did not get along with your anti-Francona man crush, but he i making you look foolish, somethin some of us remember Pedroia doing to you back in 2007 as well.

Really, the problem here is you have painted yourself into a corner and are trying to extricate yuorself from it with compunded foolishness.  you did not like Francona - fine.  But you tyhought that meant you therefore HAD to like his replacement else you would be labeled as someone who whined about every manager.  (You would have.  I would have done it to you myself.  That's a promise.)

However, the problem really was, the guy they replaced Francona with was worse than Francona.  There is no denying it.  None.  He was.    The team did worse, everything was worse.  And Francona had a rough ending, but also had 2 titles.  Valentine has no titles here and no good times to go with his season of misery. 

Don't come back with some stupid rationalization or cherry-picking as to why he was better than Francona. If you are going to play your stupd stat games with Ciriaco/Pedrioa, be prepared to deal with them here. For a manager, 2 stats matter - wins and titles. Valentine was worse than Francona at both. End of argument.

Stop the Valentine Love.  He did nothing to deserve it, and it really does not make you look any more intelligent.  And if, as well all know, his only real achievement was not being Francona, take heart.  The next guy the Sox hire won't be Francona either...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And one season does not constitute a trend...

With some here, 1 month or even 1 week is a trend.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

yea the most overrated player is the only one that was producing in august and september while the rest of the team was playing like crap....this thread is so dumb.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

WAR <flush>

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You want to also flush OBP, SLG, OPS, Fielding...?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't like any numbers.  The dude is in love with BV, and anyone that crossed BV must be dealt with.  As always, Geo has nothng but his hatred of RS players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUO

How many HOF players are inducted for any of those metricbabble measures? OBP???? lol..the hardest thing to do in sports is to get a hit, the easiest is to draw a walk or get on by an error - they all count the same according to that nonsense....face it Pedey is downright pedestrian in stats that matter...RBIS and Hits and avg...you just have a player who won the first triple crown in 45 years...did that escape you and Joey? Show me something even comparable with any of those stats? There are none because they dont matter...like that silly UZR nonsense <flush> and the even more laughable CERA <dblflush>

Pedey is the heart and soul of our team and he cant even make the all star team anymore...what does that tell you?  I can see why you quote the stats - truth hurts like a mf

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUO

How many HOF players are inducted for any of those metricbabble measures? OBP???? lol..the hardest thing to do in sports is to get a hit, the easiest is to draw a walk or get on by an error - they all count the same according to that nonsense....face it Pedey is downright pedestrian in stats that matter...RBIS and Hits and avg...you just have a player who won the first triple crown in 45 years...did that escape you and Joey? Show me something even comparable with any of those stats? There are none because they dont matter...like that silly UZR nonsense <flush> and the even more laughable CERA <dblflush>

Pedey is the heart and soul of our team and he cant even make the all star team anymore...what does that tell you?  I can see why you quote the stats - truth hurts like a mf

[/QUOTE]

OK geo, if you want to stick to the easier stats:

Pedroia

Career OPS .830

Career HR and RBI per 162 games 17/77

Player #2

Career OPS .829

Career HR and RBI per 162 games 16/79

Player #2, like Pedroia, is a middle infielder who hits at the top of the order

Player #2 is a first-ballot Hall of Famer

Player #2 went down with a season-ending injury last night

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

WAR <flush>

[/QUOTE]

Right, WAR is nothing but using HR and SB is a much, much better method of evaluating anyone.

The facts are, Pedroia ia not declining yet, Valentine was horrible, and Aviles and Ciriaco are utility infielders at best.  Arguing otherwise is not making you look smart...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How many HOF players are inducted for any of those metricbabble measures? OBP????

While OBP was not viewed highly in days past, it is now.

lol..the hardest thing to do in sports is to get a hit, the easiest is to draw a walk or get on by an error - they all count the same according to that nonsense...

Actually reaching on an error does not pad your OBP. Drawing a walk is not "easy", even if you are a feared hitter.

face it Pedey is downright pedestrian in stats that matter...

.296 since 2009 is hardly "pedestrian". He has hit .299 in 2011-2012 combined. That's an improvement over 2009-2010, yet you see decline based on an injury affected season.

RBIS and Hits and avg...

HRS & RBIs per 162

2007:   9 58

2008: 17 85

2009: 15 75

2010: 25 88

2011: 21 92

2012: 17 74 

I don't see any sign of decline. One season does not make a trend. His 2010 and 2011 seasons were actually better than 2008 in RBIs per game.

If your point was that recent injuries might be signalling a decline, you might have a valid argument, but his production is not in decline over any sequence of years. 

you just have a player who won the first triple crown in 45 years...did that escape you and Joey? Show me something even comparable with any of those stats?

No, I missed it. Did someone really win the triple crown? LOL

There are none because they dont matter...like that silly UZR nonsense <flush> and the even more laughable CERA <dblflush>

Your short sample size nonsense is the biggest flush.

Pedey is the heart and soul of our team and he cant even make the all star team anymore...what does that tell you?

He's been hurt? Cano has had some great recent seasons? Voters are idiots like you? You tell me.

I can see why you quote the stats - truth hurts like a mf

I just quoted stats you brought up. How do they hurt now?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How many HOF players are inducted for any of those metricbabble measures? OBP????

While OBP was not viewed highly in days past, it is now.

lol..the hardest thing to do in sports is to get a hit, the easiest is to draw a walk or get on by an error - they all count the same according to that nonsense...

Actually reaching on an error does not pad your OBP. Drawing a walk is not "easy", even if you are a feared hitter.

face it Pedey is downright pedestrian in stats that matter...

.296 since 2009 is hardly "pedestrian". He has hit .299 in 2011-2012 combined. That's an improvement over 2009-2010, yet you see decline based on an injury affected season.

RBIS and Hits and avg...

HRS & RBIs per 162

2007:   9 58

2008: 17 85

2009: 15 75

2010: 25 88

2011: 21 92

2012: 17 74 

I don't see any sign of decline. One season does not make a trend. His 2010 and 2011 seasons were actually better than 2008 in RBIs per game.

If your point was that recent injuries might be signalling a decline, you might have a valid argument, but his production is not in decline over any sequence of years. 

you just have a player who won the first triple crown in 45 years...did that escape you and Joey? Show me something even comparable with any of those stats?

No, I missed it. Did someone really win the triple crown? LOL

There are none because they dont matter...like that silly UZR nonsense <flush> and the even more laughable CERA <dblflush>

Your short sample size nonsense is the biggest flush.

Pedey is the heart and soul of our team and he cant even make the all star team anymore...what does that tell you?

He's been hurt? Cano has had some great recent seasons? Voters are idiots like you? You tell me.

I can see why you quote the stats - truth hurts like a mf

I just quoted stats you brought up. How do they hurt now?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUO

[/QUOTE]

Wow man, I've destroyed someone's intellect.

Avg is apparently uber-important, but OBP is not, even though avg is about 90% of OBP.

And OBP, SLG and fielding are metric babble, even though those numbers have been around since the beginning of time.

And Geo didn't even know enough about BB to distinguish between someone batting at the top of the order and th emiddle of the order.

Then he says Pedey is pedestrian in RBIs and avg.  He is 3rd in RBI over the past two years, behind two guys that bat 5th.  And 4th in average.  I guess Geo thinks 5th and 4th are the average to the number 30 (psst, Geo, 15.5 is average when referring to the number 30).

Not for nothing Geo, but I am sorry to have snapped you like a twig.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

how many games did pedey bat 3 or 4th this season....poor Joey...lol.. he attacks time tested batting avg then admits OBP is 90% avg...the only thing your stats show about the past two years is that our team stinks, we have no really good hitters anymore, pedroia is indeed overrated, and you cant spin 15 home runs and 80 rbis for a guy who swings for the fences every at bat....and even then he still had less rbis then a guy who was having an off year and traded in august....let me know when he makes the all star team again....i hope he lets the new guy manage a bit before lecturing how things are done.....

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

how many games did pedey bat 3 or 4th this season....poor Joey...lol.. he attacks time tested batting avg then admits OBP is 90% avg

[/QUOTE]

You do realize OBP isn't a new-fangled stat...the alltime leader in OBP is Ted Williams and he is just a bit renowned for that.