most 'stirring' performance in sports

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: most 'stirring' performance in sports

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With no interest whatsoever in the Super Bowl, and Spring Training still a ways away, perhaps a chat regarding ‘stirring’ moments in sports’ performances will relieve the boredom.

So for starters, the most 'emotional' performance that I remember was Teddy Ballgame’s final at bat when he hit a homerun, but for the all and all most ‘stirring’ performance in sports that leaves me with goose bumps each time I re-watch it on Youtube, it was Secretariat, Big Red, like a runaway locomotive winning the third leg of the Triple Crown of racing at Belmont in 1973.

Whether you’re a racetrack fan or not, watch it on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18ui3Rtjz4

Now what is your choice of the most ‘stirring’ performance in sports?

[/QUOTE]
    I like your choices dusty! I was there when "the splendid splinter" hit his last homerun at fenway. I was just 13 at the time. That said, mine are the following:
    when the red sox won the world series in 2004 and when adam split the uprights in 2001 to win the superbowl. and for honorable mention, the stanley cup winning sI-Iot by #4 is right up there as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

throwing in a T&F entry..Bob Beamon's record(at the time) long jump...stood for an impressive 23 years....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

• red sox hats appearing on gravestones throughout NE in October 2004.
    • 1980 semifinal game USA v Soviet Union
    • UCONN v DUKE 1999 finals.  huskies were 9 point dogs
    • Kirk Gibson - the HR
    • Bobby Thompson - the s|-|ot heard round the world
    • Tom Brady's 1 minute march 2001

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

George W Bush throwing a perfect strike after 911

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to JIMMYPROFFER's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agreed; the analogy heard at the time was it was a like a Canadian College ALL Star football team defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers. This was perhaps the greatest upset in sports history. The odds were unthinkable, perhaps 100, maybe 1000 to 1. Recall the NHL was embarrassed by the Russians a few months earlier. The movie 'Miracle On Ice' was a revelation as well.

Although a great sportcaster otherwise, recall the Quake in the '89 WS, this was Al Michael's defining moment as well. He's still terrific. Ditto Vin Scully.

[/QUOTE]

I think Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson was the greatest upset in sports history.

[/QUOTE] made more miraculous due to Douglas being almost out on his feet the previous round....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Stirring.  Stirring implies a strirring of the emotions.  I have witnessed and been part of some deeply stirring sports moments.  But, there is only one at the top and it is so far beyond everything else that I won't sully its stirring nature by naming it.  But, it may or may not have taken place over the course of 4 days in October of 2004.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Agreed; the analogy heard at the time was it was a like a Canadian College ALL Star football team defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers. This was perhaps the greatest upset in sports history. The odds were unthinkable, perhaps 100, maybe 1000 to 1. Recall the NHL was embarrassed by the Russians a few months earlier. The movie 'Miracle On Ice' was a revelation as well.

Although a great sportcaster otherwise, recall the Quake in the '89 WS, this was Al Michael's defining moment as well. He's still terrific. Ditto Vin Scully.

[/QUOTE]

I think Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson was the greatest upset in sports history.

[/QUOTE] made more miraculous due to Douglas being almost out on his feet the previous round....

[/QUOTE]
    Yo brothah "B"! I would have to say that even I was really moved to a case of wet eyes when jeter and andy went out to get mo in the bottom of the 8th. Ironic isn't it my friend? a die hard red sox fan feeling that much emotion about a yankee legend. I would also have to agree about the 99 all star game when they brought TW out in that golf cart and he was instantly surrounded by the players. the only thing that ruined it for me was that hitter.net cap on his head instead of the blue red sox cap.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stirring.  Stirring implies a strirring of the emotions.  I have witnessed and been part of some deeply stirring sports moments.  But, there is only one at the top and it is so far beyond everything else that I won't sully its stirring nature by naming it.  But, it may or may not have taken place over the course of 4 days in October of 2004.

[/QUOTE] ah, shaddup YellTongue Out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Yo brothah "B"! I would have to say that even I was really moved to a case of wet eyes when jeter and andy went out to get mo in the bottom of the 8th. Ironic isn't it my friend? a die hard red sox fan feeling that much emotion about a yankee legend. I would also have to agree about the 99 all star game when they brought TW out in that golf cart and he was instantly surrounded by the players. the only thing that ruined it for me was that hitter.net cap on his head instead of the blue red sox cap.

[/QUOTE] hey big D...yeah, that was cool..my fave parts were Mo's smirk when he saw them coming, and Jeter telling Mo.."it's time to go" ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

OUCH...........you guys were so close......Wink

***I tried to paste a picture of Bartman during the Cubs/Marlins game but I cannot***

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Not trying to 'name drop' but the most stirring moment in my sports life has to be told in its context.

I've been a baseball-first fan all my life and I was privileged to be (way) in back of home plate at the 1999 All-Star game when Ted Williams came onto the field in the golf cart.  Seeing him in that state and knowing what he brough to the Red Sox for so many years, and without what he wanted most, a WS championship brought tears to my eyes.  That, and the players almost refusing to leave the mound at the conclusion of the ceremony even now makes the hair on my neck stand up. 

A very moving moment. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OUCH...........you guys were so close......Wink

***I tried to paste a picture of Bartman during the Cubs/Marlins game but I cannot***

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

I have three:

1) The 1969 Miracle Mets.... Talk about your heavy underdogs given no chance. (Proof good pitching and defense will win more often than not in a series.)

2) As much as I hate to admit it, the JESTS! beating the overwhelmingly favored Colts in SB III, speeding up the NFL/AFL merger. (No other single game had a similar impact on it's sport that was and is being felt for so long.)

3) The 1954 Indiana State HS BB Champions: Milan High (of "Hoosiers" fame). This really small school won the "everyone enters" Indiana State HS Championship, where there is no "classification" by school size. Keep in mind it didn't win the championship in it's CLASS (school size), but for the entire STATE.  (No, I didn't need the movie to remind me of this event.)   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Nancy Kerrigan getting her knee whacked by Tonya Hardin

Barry Sanders retiring

Mike Tyson biting the ear off of Evander Holyfield and subsequent jail time for other reasons

Len Bias died from a cocain overdose after he was supposed to build up our franchise from the ambers

Ryan Westmoreland getting brain cancer as well as Lester were pretty shocking as well

Magic Johnson announcing that he was HIV positive

OJ Simpson and the white bronco chase

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Barry Sanders retiring

Mike Tyson biting the ear off of Evander Holyfield and subsequent jail time for other reasons

Len Bias died from a cocain overdose after he was supposed to build up our franchise from the ambers

Ryan Westmoreland getting brain cancer as well as Lester were pretty shocking as well

[/QUOTE] man, i was bummed by that one...

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Barry Sanders retiring

[/QUOTE]

Both Len and Reggie's deaths set the Celtics back years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Kerri Strug's Vault at the 96 Olympics.  On one leg, in the biggest pressure situation imaginable, with the world watching........she nails it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With no interest whatsoever in the Super Bowl, and Spring Training still a ways away, perhaps a chat regarding ‘stirring’ moments in sports’ performances will relieve the boredom.

So for starters, the most 'emotional' performance that I remember was Teddy Ballgame’s final at bat when he hit a homerun, but for the all and all most ‘stirring’ performance in sports that leaves me with goose bumps each time I re-watch it on Youtube, it was Secretariat, Big Red, like a runaway locomotive winning the third leg of the Triple Crown of racing at Belmont in 1973.

Whether you’re a racetrack fan or not, watch it on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18ui3Rtjz4

Now what is your choice of the most ‘stirring’ performance in sports?

[/QUOTE]

Kerri Strug clinching the Womens all around gymnastics title at the 96 Olympics is one I will never forget. She had a bad ankle, which she injured earlier in the competition, and had to do the vault which possibly could have injured it worse. She did the first attempt but fell on the landing. The second attempt she fought the landing gallantly and raised her hands to the crowd while standing literally on one leg. Bela Karolyi then picking her up and carrying her to the podium was very emotional. She had tremendous heart to be able to pull off what she did.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Barry Sanders retiring

[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was so dissapointing... it was when I stopped watching basketball after the Bird years. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I had all the games on my Tivo when they sold them with DVD burners.  I rewatched the comeback when my sister went into labor seven years ago... so epic.  That might be the craziest stirring of emotions. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Hey, thanks to all for playing along.  Some fascinating posts of 'stirring' sports performances, some of which I had forgotten about.  Truly a reminder of the impact that sports, and those who perform, can have on our lives.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Barry Sanders retiring

[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was so dissapointing... it was when I stopped watching basketball after the Bird years. 

[/QUOTE] for me, being a Tar Heel fan, though he went to Maryland..i was excited having another great ACC player going into the NBA