My god these guys are good

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

My god these guys are good

To think that this guy is there third-best starter. And then look at their line up. It we beat these guys we deserve it. Lesters been brilliant. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: My god these guys are good

In response to irish-sox-fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To think that this guy is there third-best starter. And then look at their line up. It we beat these guys we deserve it. Lesters been brilliant. 

[/QUOTE]

======================

How do you think Kershaw must feel...gave up 2 hits/1run and LA got 5hits/"0" runs & he loses. Sanchez was good but still gave up 6 walks. We swung at balls in the dirt and didn't swing at ones down the middle, especially Napoli who is in a major slump. And Salty too is close behind in the strike out category.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I tried to tell this Board how pathetic the Rays were and how lucky the Red Sox were to play them instead of the Rangers or Indians. "

The Rays won a series of must win games to get to the playoffs, they were plenty good for a first round team. That included a win over the Rangers and then the Indians in case you weren't paying attention. So yeah, they were worse than both but beat both when it counted most. Looking forward to your logic pretzels you will need to explain that. 

"I told you sos" are comical coming from you. If you ran the team we'd still be watching Gonzalez underachieve and Crawford strike out. God knows who would be managing, probably Valentine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

if Drew had thrown to 3rd to force Cabrera out, they´d still be playing, bad at bats and all; MIguel would have never scored from second

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

In response to one-for-the-road's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if Drew had thrown to 3rd to force Cabrera out, they´d still be playing, bad at bats and all; MIguel would have never scored from second

[/QUOTE]

Let's be real. The tigers deserved to win that game. And it wasn't because Stephen Drew thee one ball over to the wrong base. Lester was brilliant, defense was brilliant. We couldn't hit ****

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

not taking anything away from DET, Anibal was lights out (with a little help from hitters being too agresive to balls in the dirt)

I just say that particular play, was a game altering one

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Maybe we're talking about different plays.

If it's the play I'm thinking of...runners on 1 and 2 VMart hits a slow roller to short,  at best Drew would have to stop himself whirl and throw a ball into the back of a runner going to third ...No way he made the right play, going for the double play with VMart lumbering toward first--IMHO. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Detroit pitching allowing only a hit against the top offensive team. 

Hopefully the Red Sox come back today. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

OP is dead on target.  Last night, despite the close score, was a drubbing.  The score was close because the Sox made some very good plays, plus Detroit, who had 9 hits to our 1 hit, was slow on the base paths.

Sanchez was incredibly good last night.  He had a 95-96 mph fastball, but used it sparingly.  He also threw a cut fastball, a fast changeup, a slow changeup, a curve, and a slider.  He struck Ellsbury three times and Ortiz twice, and overall Detroit struck out 17 Sox, which I think tied a record for a 9 inning playoff game.  On top of which, the Sox had one lousy hit. 

While I do like the title of the thread--my god these guys are good--I was thinking of the line from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.  "Who are those guys?" 

The OP is also dead on about the Tigers lineup.  It is very good.  Not so much in the field, but definitely at bat. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Yes, those guys are good, but so are our guys.  When you're in the ALCS, do you expect to face any team that is not good?   They won last night, but they only won by one run. 

Despite the Tigers getting 9 hits, the Sox kept them to only 1 run.  Yes, our good defense and their slow baserunners do count.

Despite only having one hit to the Tigers 9 hits, I don't think that the Sox were dominated by the Tigers as greatly as many seem to think.  It was a well fought game by both teams.

Tonight's a new night!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I tried to tell this Board how pathetic the Rays were and how lucky the Red Sox were to play them instead of the Rangers or Indians. 

I warned this Board that the team with the "weak pen, ha ha, and can't get their starters lined up" is the best chance for the AL to upset the NL winner in the WS.

[/QUOTE]

Sox went 2-4 against Texas, a team that s*cked when it counted down the stretch.  They fell apart.  That's why the Rays went to the postseason.  Remember?

The Sox went 6-1 against Cleveland, putting up 50 runs against their staff.  FIFTY runs in seven games.  Sure wish they made it to this round.  

What are you talking about?  Check the numbers before you write this ****.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

. If you ran the team we'd still be watching Gonzalez underachieve and Crawford strike out. God knows who would be managing, probably Valentine.

I'm the guy who reposted "Avoid Crawford like the plague". And the Red Sox signed him. If I ran the team, Crawford was never signed, Beckett never got the extension and is gone, Iglesias is at SS, J. Upton is in LF (.813 career OPS vs. Sanchez), AGon played first last night and hit 5th last night behind Ortiz, instead of Napoli or pinch hitting Carp, and the Red Sox win the game. I wouldn't have hired Valentine, and would have fired Tito after 2010 and promoted John Farell.  

[/QUOTE]

J. Upton was terrible this year, after April, and in the LDS.

And your previous 'must get' guy, Matt Kemp, has turned into an albatross, stay at home guy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

not taking anything away from DET, Anibal was lights out (with a little help from hitters being too agresive to balls in the dirt)

I just say that particular play, was a game altering one

[/QUOTE]

I thought a couple of the swings were bad, but some of those low pitches were difficult to lay off of.  I try to 'play' hitter watching on the TV, and I'd have swung at most of them.  It was like watching Buchholz when he's on his game.  Sometimes you just have to chuckle at how unhittable some of the pitches are.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The play is behind him.  He has no idea where Miggy is.  Try for the DP was the best option.  2nd best option would've been to go for the sure out at first.

And even if gets Miggy at 3rd, it would've been Fielder scoring from 2nd, and not Miggy.  I don't think there is any way Ellsbury throws out Fielder ruuning with two outs.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

J. Upton was terrible this year, after April, and in the LDS.

149 Games Played in and 27 Homers and .818 OPS is better than your idol, Ellsbury. So, you like Gomes and Napoli over J. Upton and A. Gonzelez, I don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And your previous 'must get' guy, Matt Kemp, has turned into an albatross, stay at home guy.

Ellsbury makes Kemp look like Cal Ripkin, Jr.  

Career OPS is .844. Steals 30 to 40 bases and hits 25 to 30 HR a season when he's not hurt. 

But I've noted you want to spend a bunch of money on Ellsbury instead of on Kemp. Let's see how that turns out, as Kemp's a world beater when you compare the two players work history record to this point. 

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't comparing Upton or Kemp to Ellsbury, of course.  Ellsbury's a left-handed leadoff hitter.  You posited Upton and Kemp as the big right-handed bats we needed to cure our fatal flaw.

Ellsbury isn't my idol.  He's gone after this year, I've never said otherwise.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

David knows what he has to do, and that is take the same advice he gives newbies: be patient, hit it back where it came from, etc. He's more anxious than I've ever seen him.

Napoli may be a lost cause; he looks like a confused zombie. He has nevertheless turned into a better-than-good first baseman so it would be hard to just bench him. He's visualizing the parking lot when he should be thinking of hitting it into centerfield, taking the pitcher along with it. If push comes to shove, I wouldn't mind seeing Nava at first and Gomes in left. (at least for one game)

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Kemp's not much of a cure sitting at home collecting $20 million.

Upton had a 753 OPS from May 1 to Sept. 29, with a pitiful 51 RBI in the middle of the order. Then he was even worse in the LDS.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

. If you ran the team we'd still be watching Gonzalez underachieve and Crawford strike out. God knows who would be managing, probably Valentine.

I'm the guy who reposted "Avoid Crawford like the plague". And the Red Sox signed him. If I ran the team, Crawford was never signed, Beckett never got the extension and is gone, Iglesias is at SS, J. Upton is in LF (.813 career OPS vs. Sanchez), AGon played first last night and hit 5th last night behind Ortiz, instead of Napoli or pinch hitting Carp, and the Red Sox win the game. I wouldn't have hired Valentine, and would have fired Tito after 2010 and promoted John Farell.  

[/QUOTE]

they don't hire known mentally ill people to run baseball teams.