My prediction? The Sox make three trades by the 4:00 PM deadline tomorrow....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

My prediction? The Sox make three trades by the 4:00 PM deadline tomorrow....

I think that the Sox make three moves tomorrow:

1) Trade RYAN Sweeney for a low level prospect

2) Trade Kelly Shoppach for a low level prospect

3) Trade for a 4/5 starting pitcher (someone like Bruce Chen). We will give up a solid, top ten prospect like Brandon Jacobs or Blake Swihart (but not Barnes, Bradley, Jr. or Bogaerts) and a low level prospect.

The Sox call up Ryan Lavarnway and Scott Podsednik and option Mark Melancon to Pawtucket.

The 4/5 pitcher takes Cook's spot in the rotation and Cook moves to the bullpen as a longman (also as insurance).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Re: My prediction? The Sox make three trades by the 4:00 PM deadline tomorrow....

If we make these moves, the Sox would add very little payroll to the 2012 luxury tax.

BTW, I hope we don't trade for Bruce Chen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: My prediction? The Sox make three trades by the 4:00 PM deadline tomorrow....

In Response to My prediction? The Sox make three trades by the 4:00 PM deadline tomorrow....:
    [QUOTE]I think that the Sox make three moves tomorrow: 1) Trade Mike Sweeney for a low level prospect 2) Trade Kelly Shoppach for a low level prospect 3) Trade for a 4/5 starting pitcher (someone like Bruce Chen). We will give up a solid, top ten prospect like Brandon Jacobs or Blake Swihart (but not Barnes, Bradley, Jr. or Bogaerts) and a low level prospect. The Sox call up Ryan Lavarnway and Scott Podsednik and option Mark Melancon to Pawtucket. The 4/5 pitcher takes Cook's spot in the rotation and Cook moves to the bullpen as a longman (also as insurance).
    Posted by Bigpapa1977[/QUOTE]
    Five-time All Star Mike Sweeney retired after playing his final game with the Philadelphia Phillies in 2010:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sweenmi01.shtml

You mean Ryan Sweeney.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I could see us trade Ryan Sweeney for a mid level prospect.

Trade Albers for a low/mid level prospect.

Look to trade Padilla and Cook.

Trade Schoppach in a waiver deal, so Lava keeps his extra year of team control, rather than bring him up for one extra month and lose a year of his prime.

Maybe trade for a decent starter under team control for beyond 2013.

Field offers for Ellsbury, but trade him this winter instead.

Look to dump CC and Dice-K, but don't count on it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to Re: My prediction? The Sox make three trades by the 4:00 PM deadline tomorrow....:
    [QUOTE]I could see us trade Ryan Sweeney for a mid level prospect. Trade Albers for a low/mid level prospect. Look to trade Padilla and Cook. Trade Schoppach in a waiver deal, so Lava keeps his extra year of team control, rather than bring him up for one extra month and lose a year of his prime. Maybe trade for a decent starter under team control for beyond 2013. Field offers for Ellsbury, but trade him this winter instead. Look to dump CC and Dice-K, but don't count on it.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Who is going to replace Alber, Cook, and Padilla. That is a quarter of the pitching staff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Mortensen will be added, perhaps Prior or Bard.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I'd think big: Clifton Lee. The Phillies want to unload his contract. Trade Josh Beckett ($15.75m in 2013, $15.75m in 2014) for Journeyman Lee ($25m in 2013, $25m in 2014, $25m in 2015, $12.5m buyout or $27.5m vesting option in 2016).

The Phillies save $10m in 2013, $10m in 2014, $25m in 2015, and $12.5-$27.5m in 2016. The Red Sox add a legitimate ace and playoff workhorse for this season and beyond without adding significant payroll for 2013 or 2014 (Beckett's salary plus Youkilis' expiring salary exceed Lee's annual compensation).

To even out the numbers for luxury tax purposes this year, the Red Sox could throw in Matt Albers ($1m), Vicente Padilla ($1.5m), and Daisuke Matsuzaka ($6m).

Lee takes Beckett's place in the rotation. Two out of Bard, Prior, and Mortensen take over for Albers and Padilla in the bullpen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: My prediction? The Sox make three trades by the 4:00 PM deadline tomorrow....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My prediction? The Sox make three trades by the 4:00 PM deadline tomorrow.... : Who is going to replace Alber, Cook, and Padilla. That is a quarter of the pitching staff.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

My guess is we keep 2 of the 3 I mentioned, but even if we trade 2 of them, we have Bailey coming back, Mortensen, Dice-K, maybe Bard, maybe Atchison if he gets well, maybe Prior, maybe give Wislon a shot, maybe we later trade for a starter like I said, and a starter moves to the pen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Ryan Sweeney isn't going anywhere, because the goon broke his finger, punching a door.
    Nice way to not get traded. Jerk!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]Ryan Sweeney isn't going anywhere, because the goon broke his finger, punching a door. Nice way to not get traded. Jerk!
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

Hear hear!  Why can't the Sox find more even tempered players like Agon and JD Drew!  What do we need with players that actually seem to care?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My prediction? The Sox make three trades by the 4:00 PM deadline tomorrow.... : Hear hear!  Why can't the Sox find more even tempered players like Agon and JD Drew!  What do we need with players that actually seem to care?
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Players that care or players that dont have good impulse control resulting is selfish acts that HURT the team...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The only trades Ben will make is on his Fantasy baseball team. None of his trades thus far have worked out, Name one!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My prediction? The Sox make three trades by the 4:00 PM deadline tomorrow.... : Players that care or players that dont have good impulse control resulting is selfish acts that HURT the team...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Agreed, it's just increasingly tiresome to read all the complaints here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sweeney likely to hit DL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In Response to My prediction? The Sox make three trades by the 4:00 PM deadline tomorrow....:
    [QUOTE]I think that the Sox make three moves tomorrow: 1) Trade Mike Sweeney for a low level prospect 2) Trade Kelly Shoppach for a low level prospect 3) Trade for a 4/5 starting pitcher (someone like Bruce Chen). We will give up a solid, top ten prospect like Brandon Jacobs or Blake Swihart (but not Barnes, Bradley, Jr. or Bogaerts) and a low level prospect. The Sox call up Ryan Lavarnway and Scott Podsednik and option Mark Melancon to Pawtucket. The 4/5 pitcher takes Cook's spot in the rotation and Cook moves to the bullpen as a longman (also as insurance).
    Posted by Bigpapa1977[/QUOTE]

These moves sound like "do something for the sake of doing something". And, who's worrying about the payroll?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I think the Sox will stay put (make only a minor trade or two).  

I hope the Red Sox trade Crawford to Japan for Hello Kitty and Pokeman.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

My guess is that Shoppach and Cook get traded for minor league prospects and the Sox re-acquire Justin Masterson for a couple of prospects.
      I thought that one of Sweeny,Nava and Ross would go until Sweeny stupidly hurt his hand,but now I don't think so.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If the Reds, Rangers, Nats, Braves or Dodgers put together an enticing package Ells may not be in the lineup for the Sox tonight. It might mean that whoever takes Ells takes Beckett.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Well, the Sox are not trading Ryan Sweeney (or Mike Sweeney, for that matter - thanks Hill).

I still see Shoppach being moved and the Sox adding a pitcher.  I wonder what it would actually take for Masterson?  I feel like we may have to give up a top pitching prospect and we don't have one, outside of Barnes.

I bet the Sox could trade Beckett to Cleveland for Masterson, straight up, if we eat 80% plus of Beckett's salary. If so, they should make this happen.

I always thought that Masterson seemed to always be happy and seemed to love pitching in Boston.  JMHO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from phaedruszamm. Show phaedruszamm's posts

How about Crawford and Ellsbury for Lee.  Basically, dumping Crawford and Ellsbury whom we won't resign for Lee.  (start Posednik, Ross and Nava)

Send Becket to the Rangers for a very low level prospect and eat part of his salary.

Fire Dice K.

Trade Shoppach to a team for prospects.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Victorino went to the Dogers, so that's one place Ellsbury isn't headed.
    Texas got Soto, so Shoppach isn't going there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I like trading those guys for some low level prospects.

We can't get impact Prospects without giving away anything we need to compete.  You get rid of some guys where the Sox have depth for lower level prospects then you might get a few guys that turn into gems down the road.   Replenish the lower ranks of a farm system that has really recovered well the last two years after being depleted. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

looks like your going 0-3.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

[QUOTE]looks like your going 0-3.
    Posted by Medic87[/QUOTE]

Three hours left.