Myths Dispelled #1: Sox Management Overly-Conservative in Promoting Young Prospects to Big Club

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Myths Dispelled #1: Sox Management Overly-Conservative in Promoting Young Prospects to Big Club

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Maybe we should have let the fat Doubie pitch in 2011.

Or Weiland get 25 starts.

Or Bowden.

Or ______.

no  we had wakefield..we were honored as fans to see him go for the record...how did that work out for you?

The same as it worked out for you:

better than Lackey

better than Weiland

better than Miller

Doubront was not an option early on, and was lower on depth chart than those listed above- maybe due to being out of shape.

did you really just say wakefield was in better shape than FD? seriously...very funny

btw, once again i think you need to contact lucchino about not understanding the red sox promotion scheme and being wrong about what he said...after all Moon you have 10 million posts and LL is only CEO/Pres of the red sox

and he also thought signing BV was a good idea. So how smart can he really be??

But geo thinks Bobby V is the best manager in the history of baseball. :-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Myths Dispelled #1: Sox Management Overly-Conservative in Promoting Young Prospects to Big Club

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

The only 2 players the Sox really left in the minors too long I can think of are Youkilis and Wade Boggs.  And that lengthy list covers 30 years.

And with Youk, they had Bill mueller, who was a batting champion, playing 3b at the time.

....and in 1981 3B Carney Lansford hit .336 for the Sox....plus people seem to think Boggs was in his late 20s when he was promoted rather than 24...

Boggs was 24 but he did spend more time in the minors than anyone else in the Hall of Fame...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The only 2 players the Sox really left in the minors too long I can think of are Youkilis and Wade Boggs.  And that lengthy list covers 30 years.

And with Youk, they had Bill mueller, who was a batting champion, playing 3b at the time.

....and in 1981 3B Carney Lansford hit .336 for the Sox....plus people seem to think Boggs was in his late 20s when he was promoted rather than 24...

exactly. If there was no good reason to promote a prospect when he is clearly ready, then Ok. But in Youk and Boggs case, there was a valid reason for them to be delayed.

That pretty much leaves no good names besides Geo's last ditch effort with Michael Bowden...Myth: unfounded

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I'd venture that this was the first time in Geo's 7000+ posts that he's ever mentioned Michael Bowden in a positive light, much less suggested he should have been in the majors in a significant role. Just a guess.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

exactly. If there was no good reason to promote a prospect when he is clearly ready, then Ok. But in Youk and Boggs case, there was a valid reason for them to be delayed.

That pretty much leaves no good names besides Geo's last ditch effort with Michael Bowden...Myth: unfounded

Agree on Youk but Boggs played a lot of 1B when he came up.  Was a future Hall of Famrr really "blocked" by Dave Stapleton?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Agree on Youk but Boggs played a lot of 1B when he came up.  Was a future Hall of Famrr really "blocked" by Dave Stapleton?

I think defense was holding Boggs back. He wasn't considered a strong defensive 3B coming up in the minors. The other concern, I think, was that he played a power-hitting position (3B) but wasn't a power hitter. So he wasn't necessarily this can't miss prospect, although his natural hitting ability finally let him get his chance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Boggs was 24 but he did spend more time in the minors than anyone else in the Hall of Fame...

notin, where do you get all this data?

You amaze me over and over again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

notin, where do you get all this data?

You amaze me over and over again.

half of his brain is a machine

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Boggs had not played that much 1B before joining the Sox, and he only played a little the first year before moving to 3B for a long while.

Minors:

3B  433 gms

1B    42 gms

2B    40 gms

SS    33 gms

MLB

1982: 422 innings at 1B / 353 innings at 3B

He basically plays exclusively at 1B the rest of the way.

After 1982:

3B: 18,600 innings

1B:      115 innings

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

When the best idea you can come up with is that Michael Bowden got held back, and you're compelled to inaccurately trash Tim Wakefield to try to gain a desperate foothold in the argument, I'd say you got whipped on this thread. 

I have plenty of criticisms of Sox ownership and management (for example the revolving door shortstop fiascos since Cabrera), but not giving young guys a chance is not one of them. Or it is so far down the list it's irrelevant.

Even with Bradley and all the huffing and puffing on him, it's clear he's going to play this year, it's only a matter of when....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

When the best idea you can come up with is that Michael Bowden got held back, and you're compelled to inaccurately trash Tim Wakefield to try to gain a desperate foothold in the argument, I'd say you got whipped on this thread. 

I have plenty of criticisms of Sox ownership and management (for example the revolving door shortstop fiascos since Cabrera), but not giving young guys a chance is not one of them. Or it is so far down the list it's irrelevant.

Even with Bradley and all the huffing and puffing on him, it's clear he's going to play this year, it's only a matter of when....

And IF they sent him to AAA for the 1st 9 games, he will still be a week away from his 23rd B-Day. Geo got schooled on his own thread. maybe hes the one who should admit he was wrong, not me, like he suggested.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

TrollSpanker "when" in Boston could mean late August. They always sit on their hands.... all the players they traded last August shoudl have bee dealt 6 motnhs earlier. Iggy and Lav should have been up and playing in July.

Nice thought, but the Dodgers trade wasn't available 6 months earlier.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

TrollSpanker "when" in Boston could mean late August. They always sit on their hands.... all the players they traded last August shoudl have bee dealt 6 motnhs earlier. Iggy and Lav should have been up and playing in July.

Nice thought, but the Dodgers trade wasn't available 6 months earlier.

Both the sox and the dodgers were in different places. the sox were still "in" it at the deadline and the dodgers were still seeing what they had to work with. Once it became clear that the sox were not going to make the playoffs and the dodgers learned that they aren't getting anywhere with Loney @ 1B they made a move for A-gon when we dropped him on waivers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

We haven't had that many great prospects to hold down in the first place. I'm still waiting for one clear example of a prospect under Henry's watch that was held down too long.

Bowden? Please!

Doubront? Was out of shape and in rehab in 2011, and was given every chance in the worl to win the jon.

Weiland? Come on!

Kelly?

Hagadone?

Masterson?

Rizzo?

Lars? Yeah, we should have handed him the job right away!

Cue: sound of crickets...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

http://youtu.be/CQFEY9RIRJA