Name the outside Starting Pitching targets you are going to budget for trade or FA market value to make sure you acquire him or them?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wow! You actually offered a pitcher more than $1M. That's the first in 2 years.

Once again, however, your offers will not come close to what these guys will end up getting (except for maybe Guthrie at $10M/2), so you might as well just post, "no pitcher signigs this year" as your official position.

You often berate posters for wanting to sign or trade for starters from outside the AL East and claim they will fizzle against the east, but if you look at Guthrie, his record has been pretty poor vs the AL East over a significant sample size:

vs NYY: 4-9 5.15

vs TBR: 7-10 4.14

vs TOR: 3-7  3.46

vs BOS  3-8  4.88 (including 6.68 at Fenway with as .999 OPS against)

Guthrie also turns 34 in April.

That being said, I actually like trying to get Guthrie*, but just thought I'd point out how he seems to go against your previous value criteria.

My choices:

Other than my specific trade offers to Oakland for Brett Anderson, I'd offer these FA starters these deals:

1st choice: B. McCarthy $22M/3 (If he looks healthy, I might go to $25M/3 or $30M/4 with IP incentives.)

If yes, I'd then offer S. Marcum $12M/2 (see Guthrie is SM says no). 

2nd Choice: A. Sanchez $42M/4 (Yes, it is overpay, but he's worth the gamble.)

If yes, then I'd offer J. Saunders $6M/2

3rd Choice: Sign 3 of McCarthy, Marcum, Guthrie, and Saunders and look to trade Doubront & Morales (along with others) in a deal to get J Upton or some other big RH'd bat.

4th Choice: E. Jackson $30M/3

If yes, then I'd also offer J Guthrie $11M/2 or J Saunders $6M/2.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Once again, however, your offers will not come close to what these guys will end up getting (except for maybe Guthrie at $10M/2), so you might as well just post, "no pitcher signigs this year" as your official position.

You often berate posters for wanting to sign or trade for starters from outside the AL East and claim they will fizzle against the east, but if you look at Guthrie, his record has been pretty poor vs the AL East over a significant sample size:

That being said, I actually like trying to get Guthrie*, but just thought I'd point out how he seems to go against your previous value criteria.

My choices:

Other than my specific trade offers to Oakland for Brett Anderson, I'd offer these FA starters these deals:

1st choice: B. McCarthy $22M/3 (If he looks healthy, I might go to $25M/3 or $30M/4 with IP incentives.)

3rd Choice: Sign 3 of McCarthy, Marcum, Guthrie, and Saunders and look to trade Doubront & Morales (along with others) in a deal to get J Upton or some other big RH'd bat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My choices:

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My choices:

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am not going to budget trade or FA market value for any outside starting pitchers that have a 2 year high market base value. I am going to budget 8 million to make sure I acquire 2 outside starting pitchers to MLB and/or minor league contracts. I will acquire 2 from the following list of FA:

Jeremy Guthrie  (offer MLB contract two years and up to base 5)

Jeff Francis  (Offer MLB contract one year and base 1M and option year 2 @ base) 

Rich Harden (Offer minor league contract 1M guaranteed or player can opt out and become a FA is not added to MLB roster at least one week before the deadling for turning in the opening day roster)

Eric Bedard (Offer minor league contract 1M guaranteed or player can opt out and become a FA is not added to MLB roster at least one week before the deadling for turning in the opening day roster)

2013 projected opening day rotation:

Lester

Buch

Doubrant

Lackey

Tazawa (1st half)

or Season injury/bum replacement depth:

3 from Morales or Guthrie or Francis or Bedard or Harden and farm De La Rosa or Webster

Now, I've studied the market and there are no 1st rate starting pitcher FA or trade values, and all the 2nd rate high base FA or trade market pitchers are terrible value probabibilities.

However, it's very important they you provide the specifics on the starting pitchers you are going to budget for trade or FA market value to make sure you acquire him or them. Cherry is incompetent and will react and blunder, so it's important that you provide the details of what you would do to provide the contrast needed to keep you from looking like a blathering idiot who doesn't do anything but throw out names like "I want Felix or if we can't get him lets get Greinke or insert the name of other high market base FA pitchers".

I'm looking forward to reading your specific plans for Red Sox starting pitching, with all the details.

We have a poster on here who poses as an expert but never provides any decision specfic details. He likes to post a lot of spreadsheet type of useless information that is used to either impress or convce you that Wakefield was a good active roster pitcher value in those last years after he was totally washed up but wanted everyone to see him break records associated with poor quality and a lot of many years of quantity stats. I call him the stooge. He won't provide his details, but will speak in generalities and throw out names like Charlie McCarthey et al. He lobbied to bring Wakefield back for 2012 and Beckett back for 2013 and beyond. Every year, he whines that "we need a #1 pitcher or a good #2" but never provides the specific details on who and how much to pay market to acquire.

Anyway, don't be like the stooge, provide your specifics before the biggest part of the baseball season begins of this fall and winter. It's more important than who the musical chair manager is. 

So, don't be told to shut up when you complain about starting pitching that Cherry goes with, provide what you are going to do.

Also, my confidence in Cherry as the GM, the most important man on a MLB team, is zero. Please provide the percentage confidence you have in Cherry.

Thank you, and hears to an overdue year of hard work from indolent billion dollar Big Labor payroll.

Trot

cc: Board Members

[/QUOTE]

Wow! You actually offered a pitcher more than $1M.

That's the first offer like that in 2+ years.

Once again, however, your offers will not come close to what these guys will end up getting (except for maybe Guthrie at $10M/2), so you might as well just post, "no pitcher signings this year" as your official position.

Guthrie also turns 34 in April...an age you usually call "wheelchair".

That being said, I actually like trying to get Guthrie*(see below), but just thought I'd point out how he seems to go against your previous value criteria.

My choices:

Other than my specific trade offers to Oakland for Brett Anderson, and assuming it is rejected, I'd offer these FA starters these deals:

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I am not going to budget trade or FA market value for any outside starting pitchers that have a 2 year high market base value. I am going to budget 8 million to make sure I acquire 2 outside starting pitchers to MLB and/or minor league contracts. I will acquire 2 from the following list of FA:

Jeff Francis  (Offer MLB contract one year and base 1M and option year 2 @ base) 

Rich Harden (Offer minor league contract 1M guaranteed or player can opt out and become a FA is not added to MLB roster at least one week before the deadling for turning in the opening day roster)

Eric Bedard (Offer minor league contract 1M guaranteed or player can opt out and become a FA is not added to MLB roster at least one week before the deadling for turning in the opening day roster)

Lester

Buch

Doubrant

Lackey

Tazawa (1st half)

3 from Morales or Guthrie or Francis or Bedard or Harden and farm De La Rosa or Webster

Now, I've studied the market and there are no 1st rate starting pitcher FA or trade values, and all the 2nd rate high base FA or trade market pitchers are terrible value probabibilities.

However, it's very important they you provide the specifics on the starting pitchers you are going to budget for trade or FA market value to make sure you acquire him or them. Cherry is incompetent and will react and blunder, so it's important that you provide the details of what you would do to provide the contrast needed to keep you from looking like a blathering idiot who doesn't do anything but throw out names like "I want Felix or if we can't get him lets get Greinke or insert the name of other high market base FA pitchers".

I'm looking forward to reading your specific plans for Red Sox starting pitching, with all the details.

We have a poster on here who poses as an expert but never provides any decision specfic details. He likes to post a lot of spreadsheet type of useless information that is used to either impress or convce you that Wakefield was a good active roster pitcher value in those last years after he was totally washed up but wanted everyone to see him break records associated with poor quality and a lot of many years of quantity stats. I call him the stooge. He won't provide his details, but will speak in generalities and throw out names like Charlie McCarthey et al. He lobbied to bring Wakefield back for 2012 and Beckett back for 2013 and beyond. Every year, he whines that "we need a #1 pitcher or a good #2" but never provides the specific details on who and how much to pay market to acquire.

Anyway, don't be like the stooge, provide your specifics before the biggest part of the baseball season begins of this fall and winter. It's more important than who the musical chair manager is. 

So, don't be told to shut up when you complain about starting pitching that Cherry goes with, provide what you are going to do.

Also, my confidence in Cherry as the GM, the most important man on a MLB team, is zero. Please provide the percentage confidence you have in Cherry.

Thank you, and hears to an overdue year of hard work from indolent billion dollar Big Labor payroll.

Trot

[/QUOTE]

Once again, however, your offers will not come close to what these guys will end up getting (except for maybe Guthrie at $10M/2), so you might as well just post, "no pitcher signings this year" as your official position.

That being said, I actually like trying to get Guthrie*(see below), but just thought I'd point out how he seems to go against your previous value criteria.

My choices:

Other than my specific trade offers to Oakland for Brett Anderson, and assuming it is rejected, I'd offer these FA starters these deals:

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Lester

Buch

Doubrant

Lackey

Tazawa (1st half)

Trot

[/QUOTE]

My choices:

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2 out of the 4 will be closable if the press is made from the get go.

Roy Oswalt last year was the bum market I expected. You were way beyond the market value, and so was Roy.

Last year you listed 4 starters who would you would offer $1M/1 to get. They all signed for $3M or more.

I was never ever for signing Oswalt. Before the season started, I said I thought he'd get $7-9M, and I'd only offer him $3M/1.

He ended up getting $5M for a partial season.

You said he was worth a $1M/1 offer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Unless you profide a pool that would close that trade deal, no need to simply throw it out as a pipe dream.

You invent the foolish rules. My offers were multiple, so it covers your choice requirement, and most posters here said i offered too much, unlike your lowball "pool offers".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

ou already have McCarthey. No hedging on these big base market contract deals. Your foolish offer will get Sanchez if it's make early. So, please make up your mind on which one you are going to close on those terms on,

My choices are clearly listed in order of my priority. The fact that you can't understand it underscores your lack of reading comprehension skills.

If I get McCarthy for that money (doubtful in my opinion), then there is no second choice- get it? Good!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Your offers for Marcum and Suanders are too low, so that means just McCarthey and Guthrie. Doubrant and Morales along with others means you must provide specifics on "with others".

I have provided specifics on your other thread, clown.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

Lester

Buch

Doubrant

Lackey

Tazawa (1st half)

Trot

[/QUOTE]

I am not going to budget trade or FA market value for any outside starting pitchers that have a 2 year high market base value. 

I stopped reading here.  You realize that this sentence makes no sense whatsoever, correct?  "I am not going to budget trade or free agent market value for any outside starting pitchers that have a two year high market base value."

Please say that aloud. You sound like the village idiot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

Lester

Buch

Doubrant

Lackey

Tazawa (1st half)

Trot

[/QUOTE]

I am not going to budget trade or FA market value for any outside starting pitchers that have a 2 year high market base value. 

I stopped reading here.  You realize that this sentence makes no sense whatsoever, correct?  "I am not going to budget trade or free agent market value for any outside starting pitchers that have a two year high market base value."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Translation:

"I am not going to offer any dumpster dive pitchers 2 years. I will only lowball 1 year dumpster dives to a point where we sign no starting pitchers this year. Our 5.00+ starter ERA last year was a mirage. Just look at the game logs!"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

how about taking that 150 mil we saved in that trade and sign the best pitcher?  this is not rocket science.....we can afford to sign that player long term and still save money....imho that is  zach g.....too many people here trying to be too cute in playing GM....get a guy who can pitch/dominate every 5 games...and let the best pitchers fill out the rest of the rotation....is their anyone in the sox rotation that has won a cy young?

resign cody and papi too....and hope farrell can get the players to relax and play well next season

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

how about taking that 150 mil we saved in that trade and sign the best pitcher?  this is not rocket science.....we can afford to sign that player long term and still save money....imho that is  zach g.....too many people here trying to be too cute in playing GM....get a guy who can pitch/dominate every 5 games...and let the best pitchers fill out the rest of the rotation....is their anyone in the sox rotation that has won a cy young?

resign cody and papi too....and hope farrell can get the players to relax and play well next season

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

These back and forths are not nearly as enjoybale with the hideaous BDC Quote issue.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

These back and forths are not nearly as enjoybale with the hideaous BDC Quote issue.

edit: or the repetitive issue ho-hum