NAPOLI offered a one year deal! BOTH sides still talking...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: NAPOLI offered a one year deal! BOTH sides still talking...

if the yankees were going to give napoli a better contract they already would have done so.  they have moved on from martin who was/is a better catcher,healthier and at a lower cost. and, they already have texiera at first base and other older guys to fill the DH spot on a rotating basis.  napoli cannot solve the yankee's need for a right handed hitting corner outfielder.

if any other teams wanted to pay napoli 13 M even for one season they would have already done so as well. 

whether he likes it or not, napoli is now damaged goods and comes with a very high risk of not being able to play on a regular basis.  as it stands, he is not taking a pay cut but rather looking/searching for something that is going to pay him this year and give him a chance to redeem himself by staying healthy. 

if the sox really wanted to be hard core, they could adjust their offer to him for about $8 M for the 2013 season and i would still bet that napoli would not get a better offer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if the yankees were going to give napoli a better contract they already would have done so.  they have moved on from martin who was/is a better catcher,healthier and at a lower cost. and, they already have texiera at first base and other older guys to fill the DH spot on a rotating basis.  napoli cannot solve the yankee's need for a right handed hitting corner outfielder.

if any other teams wanted to pay napoli 13 M even for one season they would have already done so as well. 

whether he likes it or not, napoli is now damaged goods and comes with a very high risk of not being able to play on a regular basis.  as it stands, he is not taking a pay cut but rather looking/searching for something that is going to pay him this year and give him a chance to redeem himself by staying healthy. 

if the sox really wanted to be hard core, they could adjust their offer to him for about $8 M for the 2013 season and i would still bet that napoli would not get a better offer.

[/QUOTE]

Geo has no understanding of the business side of baseball. you should of seen him at the beginning of the hot stove season...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to oscars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ben bootlickers more worried about salvaging his already shaky gm rep than doing whats right for the team...move away from this overpriced, oft injured mistake...we will just add napoli to the long list of ben mistakes...

[/QUO

Do you actually believe the crap you post?

[/QUOTE]

just read the nonsense posted and you can see it clearly...do bootlickers like you really think that napoli is going to want to be jerked around by ben for a one yr contract because ben is having buyers remorse? napoli will sign with the yanks just to spite him, like youk did...you are aware that Youk gave up a multi year contract in order to stick it to the sox, right? but in your polyanna world napoli will accept the analysis of the lickers here and relegate himself to a 66% pay cut because he has no other "options"...

beyond dumb

[/QUOTE]

I look forward to revisiting this post when the Napoli situation is resolved.

Your incessant bagging of Ben before the off season is over shows you in a poor light, and illustrates your lack of prospective.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

how about our AAA MVP First baseman?

[/QUOTE]

I agree, why not give him a shot. What is there to lose.

[/QUOTE]

Ya know, at this point why the heck not. Maybe 1 yr with Naps with lots of protection if he misses games. If he doesnt agree, then go with internal options and a minor signing like Kotchman...

Defensively Morse is not good and really its all or nothing with the bat too. Low OBP with absolutely no plate discipline...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ya know, at this point why the heck not. Maybe 1 yr with Naps with lots of protection if he misses games. If he doesnt agree, then go with internal options and a minor signing like Kotchman...

Defensively Morse is not good and really its all or nothing with the bat too. Low OBP with absolutely no plate discipline...

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say a career .347 OBP is "low".

Our team OBP was .315 last year. That's "low".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to oscars's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ben bootlickers more worried about salvaging his already shaky gm rep than doing whats right for the team...move away from this overpriced, oft injured mistake...we will just add napoli to the long list of ben mistakes...

[/QUO

[/QUOTE]

just read the nonsense posted and you can see it clearly...do bootlickers like you really think that napoli is going to want to be jerked around by ben for a one yr contract because ben is having buyers remorse? napoli will sign with the yanks just to spite him, like youk did...you are aware that Youk gave up a multi year contract in order to stick it to the sox, right? but in your polyanna world napoli will accept the analysis of the lickers here and relegate himself to a 66% pay cut because he has no other "options"...

beyond dumb

[/QUOTE]

Your incessant bagging of Ben before the off season is over shows you in a poor light, and illustrates your lack of prospective.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it will get resolved, but don't you at least agree it's a very embarrassing situation? The offer was given 42 days ago. The contract haggling/negotiation probably started a month ago. The Red Sox could have walked away a month ago once they had the physical results, but I'm sure there is still haggling. This is one negotiation that will be a LOSE/LOSE and nothing more. Napoli has no market and the Red Sox are either stuck with damaged goods or no first baseman, which to me is better than a damaged one. They could have tried a combination of Gomez/Sands/Kotchman, but now Sands is gone. They could still sign Kotchman to a minor league deal and platoon him with Gomez.

And one last comment, I've watched Ortiz play 1B in interleague games, and I'm guessing even at his age, he's probably a better fielder than Napoli.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to oscars's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUO

[/QUOTE]

beyond dumb

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it will get resolved, but don't you at least agree it's a very embarrassing situation? The offer was given 42 days ago. The contract haggling/negotiation probably started a month ago. The Red Sox could have walked away a month ago once they had the physical results, but I'm sure there is still haggling. This is one negotiation that will be a LOSE/LOSE and nothing more. Napoli has no market and the Red Sox are either stuck with damaged goods or no first baseman, which to me is better than a damaged one. They could have tried a combination of Gomez/Sands/Kotchman, but now Sands is gone. They could still sign Kotchman to a minor league deal and platoon him with Gomez.

And one last comment, I've watched Ortiz play 1B in interleague games, and I'm guessing even at his age, he's probably a better fielder than Napoli.

[/QUOTE]

The JD Drew negotiations tood 70-something days.

No one cared, once the season started.

No one will care about it this year either.

If you want to spend your time being "embarrassed" about it , knock yourself out.

I'm sure Georom will hold hands with you and commiserate...

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

JD Drew, now there is an argument for not being worried about protracted negotiations...that worked out well...

lol

4Bs are you serious, JD DREW? I guess you miss paying 14 mil a yr for a part time player...heck yea sign Napoli up pronto!  he could be the next JD DREW....

bootlickingly dumb

[/QUOTE]

Was JD Drew injured when the 2007 season started?

Drew played in 140 games that year.

I know you're a history teacher, but your math skills can't be that atrocious.

Drew wasn't great, but he was hardly a part time player.

Finally, quit being such a d ick.

You don't need the practice.

i bet you wish you could have that comment back, huh?

But JD Drew aside, how is Napoli ever going to be trusted/seen as an asset with that type of medical baggage hanging over his head? And if somehow he manages to stay healthy, what does that say about the team medics and Ben himself? Too bad you cant see what a no win situation this has become..and all for the cheap price of 13 million a yr? Are we that hard up for a 1B?  hardly...just admit the mistake and move on...Ben is not new to that...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

JD Drew, now there is an argument for not being worried about protracted negotiations...that worked out well...

lol

4Bs are you serious, JD DREW? I guess you miss paying 14 mil a yr for a part time player...heck yea sign Napoli up pronto!  he could be the next JD DREW....

bootlickingly dumb

[/QUOTE]

Was JD Drew injured when the 2007 season started?

Drew played in 140 games that year.

I know you're a history teacher, but your math skills can't be that atrocious.

Drew wasn't great, but he was hardly a part time player.

Finally, quit being such a d ick.

You don't need the practice.

i bet you wish you could have that comment back, huh?

But JD Drew aside, how is Napoli ever going to be trusted/seen as an asset with that type of medical baggage hanging over his head? And if somehow he manages to stay healthy, what does that say about the team medics and Ben himself? Too bad you cant see what a no win situation this has become..and all for the cheap price of 13 million a yr? Are we that hard up for a 1B?  hardly...just admit the mistake and move on...Ben is not new to that...

[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me?

If the Sox sign Napoli, whether it's a one, two or ten year contract, and he stays healthy and produces, they'll be very happy!

If they sign hiom, it mean they think he's healthy enough to play.

You'll be ticked, because you'll look like a mroron, ...again.

But, the sox will be thrilled.

You only wish it was a lose-lose situation, because you haven't been able to stop whining about it since they "agreed" to a contract.

And, no I don't wish I had that comment back.

Feel free to show the board what jerk you really are.

[/QUOTE]

+ 1

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

At some point everyone in the Boston organization is going to realize that napoli pipes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Mike Napoli has averaged only 103.8 games per year over a seven year career, only playing in more than 114 games once in a season. Mike Napoli is 31 years old. Mike Napoli was brought here to play 1B, catch a little bit, and hit for power (though he only averaged 20.8 homers per season). Mike Napoli has a hip problem. Mobility anyone? 

Does not a 1B or CA need to be mobile?  Don't we already have a full-time DH?

Yet ThefourBs, Beantowne, and others stand by their man. They wave the Red Sox pennant in the air and call the rest of us haters, or dumb, or both. Dumb-Haters. And when they are losing an argument they tell us we didn't use "your" correctly when as it should be "you're".

We are the irrational ones they say. Even if we love Pedroia, Middlebrooks, and root for Iggy and Lav to finally make it we get called names like "doomers" and "gloomers".  If we don't care for one player, or one manager, we get the whole wet blanket label while the so-called positive fan cheers on the signing of Drew, Lackey, Napoli, Crawford.... etc.,...

Why would anyone endorse bringing this player here to begin with let alone with the current hip issue?

Mike Napoli Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe i misread, but still...Hes a very free-swinger that will cost too much in players. there are better values out there IMO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Maybe i misread, but still...Hes a very free-swinger that will cost too much in players. there are better values out there IMO.

I agree, but I am surprised the "here and now" posters don't like the Morse upgrade.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

So if everything went as expected Napoli would play in 108 games and hit 21 homers... wow! That is some amazing stuff.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So if everything went as expected Napoli would play in 108 games and hit 21 homers... wow! That is some amazing stuff.

[/QUOTE]

If I could get him to do that for say...8M for one year? Id be Ok with it. Problem is, none of us know what the medicals specifically say or what new offers have been thrown back and forth.

I wasnt a huge supporter of this sign at 13M and 3 years, but I think the Sox FO was in love with this guys swing from the right side playing 81 games with that Babe Ruth League distance in LF.

Theve been signing some guys that can use the parks demensions to help their usual stats (see Cody Ross & Adrian Beltre). Gomes and Napoli fit this perfectly. Both having good OBP's vs opposite side pitchers. Lots of LHP in the ALE.

If it fell through, I wouldnt have an issue picking up a LHH 1b and platooning him with Gomez until a better option is available. Save 13M.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.