NAPOLI offered a one year deal! BOTH sides still talking...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: NAPOLI offered a one year deal! BOTH sides still talking...

I read this as the 3/39 is no longer in play...will be interested to see what the final agreement ends up being in years and dollars.

Here's what I think he will end up having to take or walk (just my hunch):

$12M/1 with a $1M bonus for over 550 PAs.

2nd year team option at $12M base if under 550 in 2013 and $13M base if over 550 PAs in 2013 with $1M buyout.

3rd year same as 2nd.

I would not do this deal. At this point, I'd be afraid to give $8M/1.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I read this as the 3/39 is no longer in play...will be interested to see what the final agreement ends up being in years and dollars.

2nd year team option at $12M base if under 550 in 2013 and $13M base if over 550 PAs in 2013 with $1M buyout.

3rd year same as 2nd.

I think the length of the delay has contributed to negative impressions of how bad Napoli's hip is.

Just keep in mind, the Sox infallible medical guys are the only ones who have the knowledge here, so we're in great hands. :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Napoli-Red Sox situation likely to be resolved by next week By Jon Heyman | Baseball Insider January 16, 2013 9:42 am ET Mike Napoli has a 1.107 OPS at Fenway, so Red Sox are trying to make their deal stick. (US Presswire) Free-agent Mike Napoli and the Red Sox have made progress and continue to try to work out an agreement after the first deal -- three years, $39 million -- hit a snag, though the new deal isn't done yet and Napoli and Boston are keeping their options open. More on Red Sox Related content Rumors: Red Sox eyeing Overbay, Kotchman? More news & notes | Latest MLB rumors There is a belief that there will be a resolution to the situation by next week at the latest. The Red Sox re-opened talks after something came up in the physical following the first agreement, but Napoli has remained their top first base target. Boston has been said all along much more likely to sign Napoli than make a trade for Mike Morse, as it still considers Napoli the best fit for them and Fenway. Napoli has a career 1.107 OPS at Fenway, the highest ever for a right-handed batter. Napoli is said to be talking to a couple other American League teams but the Red Sox are clearly heavily involved and may be the focus. The Mariners and Rangers originally had interest. There is said to have been a concern with a hip that came up in the physical, but league sources suggest Napoli expects to be ready for Opening Day. He is said to have been working out. It's been more than seven weeks since the sides made the original agreement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

3rd year same as 2nd.

There is no harm whatsoever in a one year deal with team options for all additional years. I think it would be entertaining to see if Napoli can continue to rake at Fenway. I suspect his numbers will decline significantly because the excellent OPS is based on a very small sample size, but his story line is one that would hold some interest this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

3rd year same as 2nd.

There is no harm whatsoever in a one year deal with team options for all additional years. I think it would be entertaining to see if Napoli can continue to rake at Fenway. I suspect his numbers will decline significantly because the excellent OPS is based on a very small sample size, but his story line is one that would hold some interest this year.

Keep in mind who he batted against at Fenway, Red Sox pitchers. 
    Secondly, if it's more than a one year deal, the Red Sox got swindled. Just like they did with Drew and Lackey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

3rd year same as 2nd.

Keep in mind who he batted against at Fenway, Red Sox pitchers. 
    Secondly, if it's more than a one year deal, the Red Sox got swindled. Just like they did with Drew and Lackey.

Thats why I said I would be in favor of a one year deal only-with or without a team option for another year or two. He did bat against some pretty bad pitching on the part of the Red Sox, but in general Red Sox pitching for the last several years has not been horrible, just middle of the pack (except 2012 when they were #12 of the 14 AL teams in ERA) at position number 7-9 in ERA in the AL. Also, he had, I believe, only 72 ABs at Fenway. In any event, following how Mike Napoli does might turn out to be more interesting than following how the rest of the team does.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

3rd year same as 2nd.

I think the length of the delay has contributed to negative impressions of how bad Napoli's hip is.

Just keep in mind, the Sox infallible medical guys are the only ones who have the knowledge here, so we're in great hands. :-)

Well, I think the fact that TX did not offer him a "qualifying offer" might hint at their medical people "knowing something" as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, I think the fact that TX did not offer him a "qualifying offer" might hint at their medical people "knowing something" as well.

Perhaps, or the Rangers just didn't want to pay him that much.  Other players who didn't receive qualifying offers were Torii Hunter, Edwin Jackson and Angel Pagan.

Napoli didn't end 2012 on the DL.  In fact he ended the year on a power tear, with 7 HR in 16 games. 

The fact is, we have no medical facts here.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

That's a new one. A Rollator contract.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Perhaps, or the Rangers just didn't want to pay him that much.  Other players who didn't receive qualifying offers were Torii Hunter, Edwin Jackson and Angel Pagan.

Napoli didn't end 2012 on the DL.  In fact he ended the year on a power tear, with 7 HR in 16 games. 

The fact is, we have no medical facts here.  

It was just specualtion.

Not of the 3 guys you mnentioned signed for more than $13M/yr, but they did get multiple years. (Jackson: $13M x 4, Hunter $13M x 2, and Pagan $10M x 4)

I doubt any of them would have taken the qualifying offer and same with Naps. Hard to know back then...

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to COMMIE-CONTRARIAN's comment:

ok jambronis, ITS DONE.. THEY WERE IN FACT TALKING about a 1-year deal AND BOTH SIDES WERE IN FACT MUTUALLY INTERESTED.. ok doubters, stand up and acknowledge you were like the GOP on election day on this one..

Oh geez... not politics again...