1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Napoli Signed!!

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to VeniceSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That could mean that they are not going to sign Drew.

[/QUOTE]

Why does it mean that?

[/QUOTE]

Because the only other option is that either Bogaerts or Middlebrooks is not on the team....

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. This removes the notion of Middlebrooks moving to first.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Good signing especially he love Boston as well he is a great clubhouse guy.   Now down to fix the CF and SS!!  Maybe they may not to cuz these free agency players are asking too much money!!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's a shame, and a mistake.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sox are still in on Drew. They may be able to get him for one year if the Yankees don't want him.  No one else is going to give up a pick for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Looking at the finances and projected WAR, it is certain that the Red Sox will not sign Drew.  They might work with Boras to create a team to bid against in the name of getting a guy a contract, but it will be nothing more than posturing.  They only have a couple mil to spend, so unless they make a trade to free up money... what you see is what you get.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Looking at the finances and projected WAR, it is certain that the Red Sox will not sign Drew.  They might work with Boras to create a team to bid against in the name of getting a guy a contract, but it will be nothing more than posturing.  They only have a couple mil to spend, so unless they make a trade to free up money... what you see is what you get.

[/QUOTE]

I agree that Drew is a long shot, as there are enough people in the organization who feel Bogaerts can play SS and Middlebrooks deserves a longer look.  On the other hand, if a guy like Kemp had the right medical report, a Middlebrooks, Gomes, Peavy/Dempster, prospect type move isn't that far fetched if LA picked up some freight.  That would certainly open the door for Drew.  From what I hear, Drew has a lot of people in his corner within the Sox organization.  I wouldn't worry too much about the luxury cap in December, either.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sox are still in on Drew. They may be able to get him for one year if the Yankees don't want him.  No one else is going to give up a pick for him.

[/QUOTE]

Stephen Drew - SS -  Red Sox

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe believes that re-signing Stephen Drew remains an possibility for the Red Sox.

Abraham cautions detractors not to underestimate how much the Red Sox like the veteran shortstop. His market has been incredibly quiet this winter, and the World Champions would love to bring him back at a discount to provide defensive stability at shortstop while having an insurance policy in case Will Middlebrooks falters at third base.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i'm so happy we got napoli back....he's going to have a better season next year...more HR's i think.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

i'm so happy we got napoli back....he's going to have a better season next year...more HR's i think.

How's that? Can you give us an example to why he will hit more homers? Or how he might play in more than 140 games?

Anyhow it is good to have him onboard but can we finally stop talking about him being better than his career numbers?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How's that? Can you give us an example to why he will hit more homers? Or how he might play in more than 140 games?

Anyhow it is good to have him onboard but can we finally stop talking about him being better than his career numbers?

[/QUOTE]

just my gut...i thought when he came last season he was a 30-35 HR hitter...in fenway also..his swing is made for it.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I am pumped it is only a two year deal, they could have offered 18million and you would not hear a bad word from me with only 2 years.

We still need a better bat in this line-up though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

just my gut...i thought when he came last season he was a 30-35 HR hitter...in fenway also..his swing is made for it.

[/QUOTE]

I understand, but you have to play 150+ games a year for a guy like him to hit 30+ and he has never played in that many.

Anyhow I won't rain on that parade, good to have him back

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

I am pumped it is only a two year deal, they could have offered 18million and you would not hear a bad word from me with only 2 years.

We still need a better bat in this line-up though.

[/QUOTE]

exactly..i think we need one more solid bat.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bilM1bMkL60

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We have to try and be consistent here. Can we celebrate re- signing Napoli for 16 mil per, then ridicule the Yankees for signing Beltran for 15 mil per ? The difference between two and three years is not such a big deal. While Beltran is older, he seems to be in as good, or better , shape than Napoli. I think most people in baseball would say that Beltran is the better player. We are certainly on a World Series high, but let's not lose sight of reality. Some of us are extolling Ben's every move, while underestimating the moves of other G.M.s. That can change in a hurry. It is a very competitive business. If you slip just a bit, others can pass you up very quickly. We are the champions. At this moment, we are probably not as good a team as we were last October. I hope that Ben has more plans in mind. Let's not get too smug in the meantime. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Didn't he already turn down one year? It seems to me if Napoli is worth two years, Drew is easily worth two years. I think Drew adds more value.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Don't know what the whole market was out there for Napoli, but this is a GREAT win for Ben C and the Sox. He keeps it to 2 years and Napoi has incentive to keep his numbers up for 2016 and beyond.  

Napoli DID hit  320 with a much lower 23 percent K/AB rate in 2011, so he HAS shown he can get on an extended hot streak.

Great to have him and Gomes and Ross - The Bearded Trio - back for a reunion tour Cool

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe believes that re-signing Stephen Drew remains an possibility for the Red Sox.

Abraham cautions detractors not to underestimate how much the Red Sox like the veteran shortstop. His market has been incredibly quiet this winter, and the World Champions would love to bring him back at a discount to provide defensive stability at shortstop while having an insurance policy in case Will Middlebrooks falters at third base.[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox should know the need for experience at that pivotal position. There's just so much going on that has to be factored in when you're playing SS. And so much that involves other positions as well. I don't want a newbie at SS, with something to prove and panic only seconds away. The Tigers know this as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Abraham cautions detractors not to underestimate how much the Red Sox like the veteran shortstop. His market has been incredibly quiet this winter, and the World Champions would love to bring him back at a discount to provide defensive stability at shortstop while having an insurance policy in case Will Middlebrooks falters at third base.[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox should know the need for experience at that pivotal position. There's just so much going on that has to be factored in when you're playing SS. And so much that involves other positions as well. I don't want a newbie at SS, with something to prove and panic only seconds away. The Tigers know this as well.

[/QUOTE]

Derek Jeter was the starting SS for a World Series Champion during his first full season. Cal Ripken, Nomar Garciaparra, Alex Rodriguez & Troy Tulowitski, among others, all had excellent seasons as rookie starting shortstops.  I don't think "experience" is as much of a key factor at shortstop as "talent" is.  Xander Bogaerts has a ton of talent.  While there's still a slim chance that he won't be the starting SS next year if they move Middlebrooks (It is and always has been highly doubtful in my opinion), I don't think anyone is going to be worrying about the shortstop position after 2014.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

As a fan I choose to be thrilled to have Napoli back.  You can crunch the numbers and whine a little bit about it and talk about Ks, but I like his RH bat and I love the presence on this team.

Sox just lost an All Star that could not wait to leave skidmarks getting out of Boston, like, let's face it. plenty of guys.

Here's a pivotal guy from a Sox WS Championship thats a nice fit and a great character guy and a guy that LOVES being in Boston. He's a fine glove and it eliminates the disturbing thought of Middlebrooks at first. I like having him on the team I root for.

Pardon the non-SABR analysis.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Derek Jeter was the starting SS for a World Series Champion during his first full season. Cal Ripken, Nomar Garciaparra, Alex Rodriguez & Troy Tulowitski, among others, all had excellent seasons as rookie starting shortstops.  I don't think "experience" is as much of a key factor at shortstop as "talent" is.  Xander Bogaerts has a ton of talent.  While there's still a slim chance that he won't be the starting SS next year if they move Middlebrooks (It is and always has been highly doubtful in my opinion), I don't think anyone is going to be worrying about the shortstop position after 2014.  

[/QUOTE]

Well, I think we saw a starting SS in the playoffs, supposedly the best there was among his peers. In comparison, our SS saved us in a lot of games. There are exceptions, and your list includes the most outstanding of SSs, but I didn't think Bogaerts was all that great when I saw him. He was fine, but I'd still take Drew.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Napoli's hip is supposedly much better than last winter. He played more games than ever in 2013 and suprised many of us with his quickness playing 1B.

It kind of makes you wish we had kept the original deal last winter of $39M/3, but it was understandable to hedge the hip injury.

I think we may still be in on Drew. We could keep Middy for depth, or we could end up trading him with starting pitcher for a CF'er. 

I'd like to see us sign Tanaka and then trade Dempster & Peavy for a needed piece(s).