Napoli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Napoli

Number one concern in redsox nation... 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Napoli

In response to Javi60's comment:

Napoli is an easy strikeout for any good pitcher.  No bat speed. Him batting fifth is a big mistake. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

Napoli is an easy strikeout for any good pitcher.  No bat speed. Him batting fifth is a big mistake. 

[/QUOTE]

It was Ortiz who struck out with a man on 3b and one out.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yes but given a sample size larger than 1 at bat....David Ortiz is a better more productive hitter.

Ortiz doesn't hurt you batting in the middle.....Napolis does.  Honestly if Napoli continues to struggle the Sox need to consider other options or at least drop him in the order.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That is true. But at least it was not totally expected. Are you defending Napoli's performance?  Are you surprised that we blew that scoring opportunity?  Come on Max. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Yes but given a sample size larger than 1 at bat....David Ortiz is a better more productive hitter.

Ortiz doesn't hurt you batting in the middle.....Napolis does.  Honestly if Napoli continues to struggle the Sox need to consider other options or at least drop him in the order.

I give him until Aug 1. Then play Carp more often.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'd give Carp more at bats now....it's not as if Napoli hasn't shown production as a part time player in the past, because he has.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I considered your attack on Napoli to be gratuitious.  Ortiz had the advantageous of righty vs. lefty plus he really only had  to make contact to give Ellsbury a reasonable chance to score.  Ortiz is the only really good bat in the lineup and the best rbi guy, so to me it's a bigger disappointment when he can't get Ellsbury home with just one out.  At least Napoli got the count to full.  I think Ortiz struck out in 3 or 4 pitches. 

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That is true. But at least it was not totally expected. Are you defending Napoli's performance?  Are you surprised that we blew that scoring opportunity?  Come on Max. 

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Some people say that Napoli is a better second half hitter. That is a pipe dream. The guy has no bat speed. The word is out. That will not change. Playing him against tough right handers , much less batting fifth, is not smart. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Some people say that Napoli is a better second half hitter. That is a pipe dream. The guy has no bat speed. The word is out. That will not change. Playing him against tough right handers , much less batting fifth, is not smart. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Bat speed is not relevant tonight.  Weaver is throwing lots of breaking balls and a fastball that averages around 87. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I considered your attack on Napoli to be gratuitious.  Ortiz had the advantageous of righty vs. lefty plus he really only had  to make contact to give Ellsbury a reasonable chance to score.  Ortiz is the only really good bat in the lineup and the best rbi guy, so to me it's a bigger disappointment when he can't get Ellsbury home with just one out.  At least Napoli got the count to full.  I think Ortiz struck out in 3 or 4 pitches. 

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you want to talk about today yes.  But looking at the bigger picture going through the second half and a possible playoff run who do you have more confidence in Ortiz batting 4th or Napoli batting 5th?

Napoli strike out about 1/3 of the time up there and his production has really fallen off.  At the very least we should be concerned with him batting in the heart of the order.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ortiz failed miserably. I don't dispute that. But Napoli is getting to be a sure strikeout. It sounds like you are either trying to defend Napoli, or just be argumentative. I have been trying to make the point that last night's meltdown will have a lingering effect. Others are saying that it was just another loss , and will be quickly forgotten. I ask you this; do you think that Napoli should be batting fifth, given his propensity to strikeout?   

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to CapeCad76's comment:

Let's not be argumentative here guys. We are supposed to be having fun here.

You are right. I try to have fun. But sometimes people try to provoke. I try to ignore it and still have fun. A sense of humor is important in life. What say you, Cape?   I know you have a sense of humor. Why not show it, instead of looking for trouble?  Is that your idea of fun?  Why not use your best qualities?  Seriously. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

Let's not be argumentative here guys. We are supposed to be having fun here.

You are right. I try to have fun. But sometimes people try to provoke. I try to ignore it and still have fun. A sense of humor is important in life. What say you, Cape?   I know you have a sense of humor. Why not show it, instead of looking for trouble?  Is that your idea of fun?  Why not use your best qualities?  Seriously. 

[/QUOTE]

He is Pike DGale.....

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

I expect the front  office to replace Napoli next winter. There is the hip issue that will only get worse, he strikes too much, and he will want to go elsewhere where they ignore his hip.  It was a bargain to sign him for one year at such a low price.

I might be wrong on Napoli but if I were the GM, I would start considering a replacement for him next winter. Just my opinion at this time.

[/QUOTE]

Very well could be Middlebrooks if he rebounds.  This of course is under the assumption Bogaerts takes over at third.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Dgalehouse is indeed trying to have fun because there is nothing he relishes more than the Sox losing and opportunities to say, "I told you these guys were bums." 

I am merely defending Napoli, not because I am unaware of his K's, but because he has been and is a part of a lineup that has scored the most runs in MLB, and Napoli has the second most rbi's, 55, on the team.  Moreover, Farrell continues to bat him fifth, and I'm inclined to think Farrell knows what he is doing.  dgalehouse appears to think Farrell does not know what he is doing.

If you watch this game, you will notice that, while Lackey is pitching a pretty good game, he does love his fastball and is not afraid to put it over the middle of the plate, which is how those two dingers were hit.  Weaver, on the other hand, doesn't much like his 87 mph fastball and throws it off the plate, but throws plenty of sliders, changeups, and curve balls over the plate, which has allowed him to keep the Sox batters very much off guard.  Napoli ain't the only guy striking out.  Ortiz did so with men on first and third and one man out.  Carp has done so twice despite the lefty vs. righty advantage. 

I say all of the above because I think it is wrong to single out Napoli in a game in which the all-star has looked at least as bad if not worse than Napoli.  Pedroi, the other all-star, is also hitless in three at bats.  In fact, everyone is looking bad because Weaver is a smart pitcher with pretty good control and an assortment of off speed pitches. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Napoli also got half his Rbis in the first month and has been largely unproductive ever since.  The Sox unit as a whole has been productive but Napoli has largely reduced his contributions.  While I generally concede that the manager knows best one thing that I notice is that ALL managers are very very very slow to make lineup adjustments based on performance. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

From the 3rd base and 1st base postions, you need power numbers. This team is getting very little from those positions. The Front Office over estimated Middlebrooks and he did not make adjustments when the pitchers adjusted against him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Napoli also got half his Rbis in the first month and has been largely unproductive ever since.  The Sox unit as a whole has been productive but Napoli has largely reduced his contributions.  While I generally concede that the manager knows best one thing that I notice is that ALL managers are very very very slow to make lineup adjustments based on performance. 

Since May 1: .250/.739. Not what you want from your #5 hitter. Aug 1. No longer.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Dgalehouse is indeed trying to have fun because there is nothing he relishes more than the Sox losing and opportunities to say, "I told you these guys were bums." 

I am merely defending Napoli, not because I am unaware of his K's, but because he has been and is a part of a lineup that has scored the most runs in MLB, and Napoli has the second most rbi's, 55, on the team.  Moreover, Farrell continues to bat him fifth, and I'm inclined to think Farrell knows what he is doing.  dgalehouse appears to think Farrell does not know what he is doing.

If you watch this game, you will notice that, while Lackey is pitching a pretty good game, he does love his fastball and is not afraid to put it over the middle of the plate, which is how those two dingers were hit.  Weaver, on the other hand, doesn't much like his 87 mph fastball and throws it off the plate, but throws plenty of sliders, changeups, and curve balls over the plate, which has allowed him to keep the Sox batters very much off guard.  Napoli ain't the only guy striking out.  Ortiz did so with men on first and third and one man out.  Carp has done so twice despite the lefty vs. righty advantage. 

I say all of the above because I think it is wrong to single out Napoli in a game in which the all-star has looked at least as bad if not worse than Napoli.  Pedroi, the other all-star, is also hitless in three at bats.  In fact, everyone is looking bad because Weaver is a smart pitcher with pretty good control and an assortment of off speed pitches. 

Max, as a lifelong Sox fan , I find your  comments to be extremely offensive. Why do you take any criticism of Napoli personally?  Going into tonight . Napoli has struck out 110 times in 300 at bats. That is a fact. Early on this  year, he frequently came up with the bases loaded. To his credit, he came through often enough to pick up a lot of RBIs.  More recently, he has become an easy strikeout. That is simply a fact. Why attack me for pointing that out? Honestly, I have lost a lot of respect for you.  You lose perspective while defending your initial opinions.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

I expect the front  office to replace Napoli next winter. There is the hip issue that will only get worse, he strikes too much, and he will want to go elsewhere where they ignore his hip.  It was a bargain to sign him for one year at such a low price.

I might be wrong on Napoli but if I were the GM, I would start considering a replacement for him next winter. Just my opinion at this time.

[/QUOTE]

He's not signed beyond this year. Thank goodness the deal got changed to a year. He won't be back. He may be on pace for the all time strikeout record.