NAP'S been taking balls at THIRD, likely he STARTS tomorrow?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: NAP'S been taking balls at THIRD, likely he STARTS tomorrow?

Someone already posted a thread about this.  Napoli won't start at third if he has never played this position.  I just don't see it happening. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

To be precise, in 2004 Mike Napoli played thirdbase in two games for the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes of the High Class A California League, making two assists in two chances:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=napoli002mic

I suspect that Napoli is nothing more than an emergency backup at thirdbase.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Where's the longterm outlook with some of these "after thoughts"?

I suggested last winter we give Bogey some time at 3B this year: now, he's learning on-the-job on the biggest stage in the world.

Napoli could have caught a few innings this year without risking his hip too much. His taking a lot of pitches has been missed at NL parks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Napoli at third base base would not be a good idea. I think he is taking the grounders in preparation for an emergency situation.  Not something I would like to see. Would be very, very surprised if he started a game at third.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli at third base base would not be a good idea. I think he is taking the grounders in preparation for an emergency situation.  Not something I would like to see. Would be very, very surprised if he started a game at third.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Not sure that is the way to go ....Too many adjustments on the fly ....Leave Bogaerts at 3rd & Drew at $$ ......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

If they really want his bat in catching would make a lot more sense.  Then again very little in this Series has made much sense. As much as I like Naopli, keep the status quo.

The only way they do put him at 3rd is if they have used up all the infielders for other moves.  I'd guess that is why he's even taking ground balls.  They probably have some other out of position players taking fly balls in the OF too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Bogie at 3B works well despite the errors.  He has been good with the bats too.  No need to take him out.

Naps plays 1B, or just a PH in SL for game 5.  Back to 1B at Fenway.

He will be a huge liability on the field other than at 1B.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The cure for defensive miscues is NOT trying players in positions they have never played before. .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The cure for defensive miscues is NOT trying players in positions they have never played before. .

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Putting Napoli at third is just asking for trouble.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Defense is the key - we gave away TWO games to poor defense.  We have to go w/ our better defensive options.

Napoli taking some reps at 3b is only for emergency purposes.  Like extra innings, an emergency, etc.  It is a last resort; Farrell only has 1 extra IF'er on the bench.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

Farrell needs to go with the same lineup tonight.   Not sure what he does if Victorino can go though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I suggested last winter we give Bogey some time at 3B this year: now, he's learning on-the-job on the biggest stage in the world.

Napoli could have caught a few innings this year without risking his hip too much. His taking a lot of pitches has been missed at NL parks.

[/QUOTE]

i don't understand why this is an issue for you. Bogaerts a SS and a solid athlete shouldnt havean issue playing third. He has played 3rd better than Middlebrooks. When he makes an error pump your chest, until then move on. 

Napoli can't or they don't want him to catch. They clearly feel that a lifetime catcher is less of a risk playing third then his natural position. Why would that be other something physical?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

PUBLIC ANNOUNCER: 'Now batting 5th and playing third base, from the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes, Mike Napoli.' *=)) rolling on the floor

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They gave him time at 3b this year Moon. Also a little in the WBC. They werent going to do it at AA for obvious reasons. He played 3b every 5th game in AAA. When a young kid (20yo) is still learning a position(SS), you want to limit moving him around until necessary. Especially since Bogey was making good defensive strides. It became a very good possibility that he could be used in Boston with WMB struggles and Iggys departure. He was then used more at 3b which is where he would more likely get the majority of the time in Boston this year.

They are not going to take their top prospects and start moving them all around unless there is a need like they had this year with Xander.