Nationals Sign LaRoche

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Nationals Sign LaRoche

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/nationals-to-sign-adam-laroche-1.html

There goes that option if Napoli doesn't sign (though I wasn't crazy about the idea of giving up the draft pick)...on the other hand, it's been speculated that Mike Morse now becomes a trade candidate. Might be someone the Sox should look into.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Re: Nationals Sign LaRoche

Interested In The $s He Got,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Good news for Napoli.. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thank goodness this 3rd rate bum isn't on the books for several years and 10 million a year plus.

[/QUOTE]

Think you need some Honey Nut Cherrios....

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

softy, they got Larouche for 24 million....you prefer napoli for 39 mil over 3 years?

just cut bait with this guy and move on...ben never lets go

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

softy, they got Larouche for 24 million....you prefer napoli for 39 mil over 3 years?

I wonder if Laroche would ever have gotten less than Napoli had the draft pick compensation not depressed his value.

Question for you, Geo (and other critics of the Napoli signing, which I'm not wild about but also don't think is as terrible as some make it out to be): if the RS were able to knock a year and/or some money off Napoli's final contract, would that change your feelings about it at all?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Given that LaRoche, a better 1B and a healthier player, got an average of $12M a year for the two years, if the Red Sox move forward on the Napoli deal, boy did they get swindled. Bad hip and all, they should walk away from it or give him a two year $18M offer and nothing more.

Contract would be a joke if it stays at $39M over 3.

Shows you the incompetence of Gentle Ben.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if Laroche would ever have gotten less than Napoli had the draft pick compensation not depressed his value.

Question for you, Geo (and other critics of the Napoli signing, which I'm not wild about but also don't think is as terrible as some make it out to be): if the RS were able to knock a year and/or some money off Napoli's final contract, would that change your feelings about it at all?

[/QUOTE]

i actually liked the napoli signing..but apparently ben has second thoughts...im a lil confused by this entire song and dance...it shouldve been resolved by now

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I actually hope for better "language" added than Lackey's.  Maybe each year becomes guaranteed only with a certain amount of games played each year...as an example.  Adding a year to hurt player, even at the minimum salary just doesn't work for a guy at his position.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this whole thing stinks...if the sox truly are concerned about his health - they should cancel the contract...trying to reduce it makes no sense...he's not going to agree to less money or give back his guaranteed salary...and since the sox havent chosen to nullify the signing, they must think he is fit enough to play...

leave it to ben to make a total mess out of this situation..once again proving his superior reverse-Midas touch with everything he does

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's not a mess yet, geo...wait till the final results are in.  We're all just tired of it dragging on so long but the lawyers obviously got involved.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I love how Laroche SIGNED for 2 years, but "according to Sox sources" the Sox wanted him, but only at 2 years, and he was demanding 3.

So, have they constructed the tent to cover this three ring circus yet?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

would have much preferred laroche at even 27 for 2 than having this stiutation with napoli, even with the loss of the 2nd round pick (think if it wasn't for the pick they might have leaned toward laroche). there are now no viable options on the FA market. seems unlikley that this deal won't get done and probably will stay at three years with a lot of language hedging the commitment. if napoli had other viable options he would have walked away. if the red sox were serious about looking elsewhere they would have done so too. now both sides are really limited option wise. the best thing the sox could do would be to get it down to two years (maybe a team option for a third or one that only vests with games played, etc.) with heavy language that gets them out of the second year if he misses big time/has issues with the hip. as long as they do this at least they're covered moving forward. regardless, getting a possible replacement who can also play the outfield is probably a good idea. they should have enough pieces to go out and find someone reasonable. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sti328. Show sti328's posts

I am a RS fan but so far not one of these offseason move excited me. Expect the Napoli deal to go through and then he gets hurt in May, July and shut down in late August. Watch Laroche hit 30 HRs again and watch Youk hit 30 HRs.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Bah! The dawdling front office has blown it and now it's Napoli, and his bum hip, or bust. WTG clowns! While the pick we'd have had to pay might have been decent one, the odds say it woulda been just another wanna be MLB guy who doesn't pan out. Laroche was a gold glove defenseman who is a solid hitter with power. We almost had the market cornered on him too, with only a couple of clubs expressing interest b/c of need and/or the need to give up a pick.  We had him....but napping Cherington wouldn't close the deal. So tear up that reworked contract you'd been trying to iron out for months now. Because Napoli is now in a take it or leave it position vs. the Red Sox.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd trade for Morse only if we could extend him, although he does rate to net a draft pick after turning down a qualifying offer next winter.

My bet is he goes to TB for 2-3 good prospects.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I prefer that they trade for Morse but it would cost some of our valued prospects. The only other option now seems to sign Napoli with a reworked contract and hope for the best injury-wise down the road.

That will be the extent of my "baseball talk" about Napoli. There is no need to regurgitate it every day.

[/QUOTE]

It would cost a LHP in the pen, which we have plenty of on the MLB team and in prospects.

They know teams realize that they have no real use for Morse and thus will not recieve a top prospect in return. Thats why Rizzo has said he wants a Loogy or just a good LHP for the pen.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/nationals-discussing-morse-with-several-teams.html