Negative in game threads

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Negative in game threads

My two cents...

I was on the the game thread the other night something I rarely do and the few times I do log in i quickly depart. In part because the thread and most of the comments tend to be knee jerk reactions based on one isolated incident during the game with little perspective of the big picture...Often followed by a barage of reply's reinforcing the negetives. To me to the overriding sense that I get from the majority of those that post on the thread is that they lack confidence in our teams ability to win the game starting from the first pitch. I think someone already used the term "Angst" to define the tenor of most of the game threads and I'd say that's fairly accurate.

Which begs the question of what is the purpose of the game threads and how can we encourage more participation from all of the members? In an ideal world. I would love to have some of those that see themselves as expert in-game managers actually post their thoughts during the game before the results of the play or the move by the manager and not after a day of hindsight is 20/20. 

Here's the deal the Red Sox as a rule don't lose games the other team wins them. Sometimes the other teams hitters hit the ball even though our guys made a good pitch...Sometimes our guys strikeout not because they can't hit, it's because the opposing pitcher makes a good pitch. Baseball is an unpredictable sport...Victorino went from goat to hero in a matter of hours. 

We the many can if we choose to, can change the tenor of the game threads or simply stay away and let those that enjoy the current format continue to use it in the manner that it's currently being used. Who am I to judge or to impose my will on them. On Wednesday, I'll likely check in early while watching our boys go for it all and if the tenor is not to my liking...I'll just close my IPad and watch the game and wait until it's over and check back in before heading off to bed...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

-Buchholz struggled in both games and couldn't go 6 in either.

4 hits and 2 3-2 walks in 5 innings is hardly struggling.  And he left with a shutout going.  I will gladly take that outing twice against the Cards.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to freediro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's annoying, but I kee. Positive in those threads. Sure things upset you like Farrell bringing in Morales when Workman has been the man all postseason. I just ignore the debating guys thinking every out means the game is over, there ae still a few guys in there that configure nicely.

where else do some of you go for game threads?

[/QUOTE]

There is a chatroom MEF set up first then I set up as a premium chatroom to accomodate everyone. By consensus its a "by invitation" room so that those there are there because there were no significant objections to their participation. Some are there because there is generally less negativity (its not been eliminated) and it is not beset by the problems that BDC has from a technical standpoint. If you or anyone else wants the URL to that room please PM me, JBay, MEF, S5, SP or anyone else who has mentioned that room so we can bring your name up there. If you are Pike, don't waste your time.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an exclusive club. Members only. Kind of like the Elks. Can a prospective member be black balled ? There is an ignore button on here if you don't like a particular poster's views. Is it ethical to use the BDC free forum to promote a site that draws people away from here ? I am surprised that the moderators do not object.

[/QUOTE]

Gale, I understand how it sounds. Its not exclusive except that there might be a handful of BDC members who would ruin it for those who participate.  All reasonable people are welcome. Pike is not, nor is Conan. The other thing is that its only active DURING the games. At other times no one is there, so its not competition for BDC.

Unlike here, a member can be banned by IP address there, though its never happened. You were mentioned as someone who might be interested in joining us. If you are, you need to change your profile to public so we can send you the link. I doubt anyone would object to your joining us. The truth is that so far everyone who has expressed an interest in joining has joined. Not that exclusive, then, is it? 

[/QUOTE]

I believe it should be explained to everyone that when you join a private chatroom, you are giving your IP address to other posters who are moderating and/or running the site, and they can do whatever they want with that information.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to lmitaly's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've been following this board for a long time. It's tough following in game threads on here. It seems like the majority of posts are negative. Why can't we as RS fans enjoy all this team has given us this year. Let's bring positive energy to the World Series and regardless of the outcome appreciate all this "team" has done this year. Go Sox!!!

[/QUOTE]Because the "BIG O" has taught us that to divide & demonize is good !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's annoying, but I kee. Positive in those threads. Sure things upset you like Farrell bringing in Morales when Workman has been the man all postseason. I just ignore the debating guys thinking every out means the game is over, there ae still a few guys in there that configure nicely.

[/QUOTE]

There is a chatroom MEF set up first then I set up as a premium chatroom to accomodate everyone. By consensus its a "by invitation" room so that those there are there because there were no significant objections to their participation. Some are there because there is generally less negativity (its not been eliminated) and it is not beset by the problems that BDC has from a technical standpoint. If you or anyone else wants the URL to that room please PM me, JBay, MEF, S5, SP or anyone else who has mentioned that room so we can bring your name up there. If you are Pike, don't waste your time.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an exclusive club. Members only. Kind of like the Elks. Can a prospective member be black balled ? There is an ignore button on here if you don't like a particular poster's views. Is it ethical to use the BDC free forum to promote a site that draws people away from here ? I am surprised that the moderators do not object.

[/QUOTE]

Gale, I understand how it sounds. Its not exclusive except that there might be a handful of BDC members who would ruin it for those who participate.  All reasonable people are welcome. Pike is not, nor is Conan. The other thing is that its only active DURING the games. At other times no one is there, so its not competition for BDC.

Unlike here, a member can be banned by IP address there, though its never happened. You were mentioned as someone who might be interested in joining us. If you are, you need to change your profile to public so we can send you the link. I doubt anyone would object to your joining us. The truth is that so far everyone who has expressed an interest in joining has joined. Not that exclusive, then, is it? 

[/QUOTE]

I believe it should be explained to everyone that when you join a private chatroom, you are giving your IP address to other posters who are moderating and/or running the site, and they can do whatever they want with that information.

[/QUOTE]

Also you have to understand that these are just people you talk to online, and don't really "know" no matter how long you've been talking to them. Just something to think about.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gale, it was initially set up due to the IT issues and mods gone wild. The link was posted in the game thread, early on,  for those who were interested. The mods did remove it initially, we then checked with BDC, and said it was OK. You're more than welcome, if you're intersted.  As far as the IP address, it's protected, only shows  the last 4 digits, like a credit card. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

illuminati

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to lmitaly's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've been following this board for a long time. It's tough following in game threads on here. It seems like the majority of posts are negative. Why can't we as RS fans enjoy all this team has given us this year. Let's bring positive energy to the World Series and regardless of the outcome appreciate all this "team" has done this year. Go Sox!!!

[/QUOTE from Bill]Because the "BIG O" has taught us that to divide & demonize is good !!!

See?  You're dragging politics into a sports board again.  This is one reason why nobody takes you seriously. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

No game threads for me.

I'm a positive person during the games and I'd like to keep it that way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

No game threads for me.

[/QUOTE]then what was that TV with a giant hole in the screen doing on your lawn the other day?Tongue Out

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gale, it was initially set up due to the IT issues and mods gone wild. The link was posted in the game thread, early on,  for those who were interested. The mods did remove it initially, we then checked with BDC, and said it was OK. You're more than, welcome if youre intersted.  As far as the IP address, it's protected, only shows  the last 4 digits, like a credit card. 

[/QUOTE]

J, Thanks. Pumpsie also. I'll think about it. Don't really like chat rooms. Actually, not too crazy about the internet in general. I just like to come here and see what other Sox fans are saying. And , add my two cents worth. Have a little fun with the back and forth. The game thread has deteriorated to the point that it is not worth bothering with while the game is in progress. I just get aggravated, so what is the point? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

can't stop smiling at the thought of

mr green moderating a chat where many go to get away from the neg

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Game threads are fraught with peril, even when the Sox are leading.  Why is this condemned as somehow unnatural?  It's the way fans universally are.  Fanatics by definition over-react.  So we should ignore what's said in the game threads or even threads begun during a game when emotions are high. 

Later, we will continue to disagree and worry and so on, but it will be a little more temperate.  And there will be some good insights. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gale, it was initially set up due to the IT issues and mods gone wild. The link was posted in the game thread, early on,  for those who were interested. The mods did remove it initially, we then checked with BDC, and said it was OK. You're more than, welcome if youre intersted.  As far as the IP address, it's protected, only shows  the last 4 digits, like a credit card. 

[/QUOTE]

J, Thanks. Pumpsie also. I'll think about it. Don't really like chat rooms. Actually, not too crazy about the internet in general. I just like to come here and see what other Sox fans are saying. And , add my two cents worth. Have a little fun with the back and forth. The game thread has deteriorated to the point that it is not worth bothering with while the game is in progress. I just get aggravated, so what is the point? 

[/QUOTE]

I didn't and was hesitant, also, gale. Took some getting use to, but it's a good group. A little faster pace, depending on how many are in the room. It's year to year, so hopefully it's only 4 more games. No harm in trying it out. You may decide it's not for you, but could be fun, during the World Series.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

No game threads for me.

[/QUOTE]then what was that TV with a giant hole in the screen doing on your lawn the other day?Tongue Out

[/QUOTE]

LOL

That TV was broken BEFORE game 1!!