Next Manager

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

Next Manager

They should hire Jason Varitek as the new Manager and hire Brad Mills as his bench coach.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Re: Next Manager

In response to Yaso#7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They should hire Jason Varitek as the new Manager and hire Brad Mills as his bench coach.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt mind that at all.... someone else mentioned Mike Lowell who I think we be great...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt mind that at all.... someone else mentioned Mike Lowell who I think we be great...

[/QUOTE]

Brad Mills?  That loser who was canned by the Astros after three miserable seasons of failure?  Right, that's what we need----another loser added already to a losing franchise.  Varitek is not ready to manage in the Big Leagues, but, then again, he can't do any worse than Valentine did this year or FrancoMa did his last three.  But no Mills and no John Farrell.  We don't need any more losers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

Tek and Mike.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I don't think Varitek is our guy.  I don't think he did his job as team captain the way a bunch of the guys were behaving last year.  He should be the first guy to get it cleaned up as team captain.  He didn't appear to do anything.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brad Mills?  That loser who was canned by the Astros after three miserable seasons of failure?  Right, that's what we need----another loser added already to a losing franchise.  Varitek is not ready to manage in the Big Leagues, but, then again, he can't do any worse than Valentine did this year or FrancoMa did his last three.  But no Mills and no John Farrell.  We don't need any more losers.

[/QUOTE]

Come on Fred, Mills had as much chance in his years in Houston as Bobby V had this year with the Sox. I'd actually prefer him over Farrell but hope the Sox go in a different direction entirely.

If Varitek or Lowell were brought in it would make sense that a former major league manager fill the bench coach role.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Arnie Beyeler

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Go get Joe Maddon !!! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Tek should NOT be the next manager.  He as a player, was a part of the downturn...we don't necessarily need someone who had a hand in where the Sox are today.  I know...Manny was a good player...he could do it! *sarcasm*

As for Brad Mills...Francona and other baseball peeps always acknowledged how in tune he was with what was going on in the field.  If a guy was leading a little too far off base, he would signal to the pitcher (directly or indirectly) to throw over to first.  Stuff like that.  But he was horrendous in Houston.  I don't know enough about the guy to really say, but I think another couple years removed from his disaster would be better for him.

I know Francona mentioned a number of coaches of his that would be great candidates for the Sox.  All of them led their teams to dismal records and had very little good to show for their efforts.  Demarlo Hale is the only one doing anything with a team that is good...and he's the third base coach.  I'm still not sold on Farrell...he presided over the erosion of our pitching staff in addition to doing absolutely nothing with the Jays.

No one really screams out...THERE'S THE GUY that can handle it.  It will be really interesting to see who they end up with ultimately.  They've got a blank slate...so it should be easier for a manager to make his mark on the young players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'd prefer someone who had at least some coaching experience. Plus, Tek and Lowell would have to manage a few players they had played with before, which could be weird.

Though I do think Tek could be a good manager one day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

I called 98.5 today and said Kevin Millar why not. I think he would be a great canidate for the job.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortuee. Show Ortuee's posts

they should clean out the front office first.....Luchino must go......front office clueless as to who to hire as manager.....Balentine was Luchino guy.......it would be good to get Billy Beane...cant believe As took the West......

if we dont clean out front office maybe we could have the first lady manager......and plant rose bushes along 1st and 3rd baselines.....make a splash, shake things up, who needs a winning team......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I have a feeling that Larry won't be playing as much an active part this time around.  I think Cherington is going to lead the charge on this.  Larry will be involved, but won't be overruling anyone this time around I think.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Here is a though.....why not put Captain V as bench coach?  Couldn't he help call the games from there?  Getting him closer to the game seems like a no brainer to me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Tony Pena.  former manager of the year, former Red Sox, tough and good with players at the same time.

Done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Ortuee's comment:
    [QUOTE]they should clean out the front office first.....Luchino must go......front office clueless as to who to hire as manager.....Balentine was Luchino guy.......it would be good to get Billy Beane...cant believe As took the West......

if we dont clean out front office maybe we could have the first lady manager......and plant rose bushes along 1st and 3rd baselines.....make a splash, shake things up, who needs a winning team......[/QUOTE]

Lucchino is part of the ownership group and you can't fire the owners.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Torre..........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Snake, I'm with you on Pena. He's the guy I wanted last year.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]was reading an article on the home page...some still touting Farrell

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to VeniceSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Brilliant post...Francona, Belechick and Rivers all had bad records before they came to Boston and ALL won championships here...

This has got to be the most stated and the weakest argument out there right now...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Varitek is not a candidate to be manager. I like the idea of Pena too, but not Farrell, since he has roots here. Here is what Cherington said about Varitek: 

“Right now, that’s not what he’s focused on,” Cherington said Thursday. “He’s joined the organization as a special assistant. He’s going to get his feet wet in a lot of different areas. He’s excited about that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to never1954's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here is a though.....why not put Captain V as bench coach?  Couldn't he help call the games from there?  Getting him closer to the game seems like a no brainer to me.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with Lloyd. It's too soon for Tek to be managing the Sox.

I think the Sox are putting Tek in the correct position as an ast. to the Gm.

He certainly knows the game.
    Now, he can learn about drafting, player developement and contracts.

Down the road, make him a bench coach and, eventually, manager.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Snake, I'm with you on Pena. He's the guy I wanted last year.

[/QUOTE]

Same here...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pena was on the short list of candidates, last year. He was scheduled to interview, but never did. Never heard an explaination as to why. Did Pena take himself out of the running? Anyone know?