Next Rule Change - NO MORE PHANTOM DOUBLE PLAYS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Next Rule Change - NO MORE PHANTOM DOUBLE PLAYS

You have to tag second base, yes, actually touch it before relaying to first. Runners will have to run hard on both ends and infielders will have to actually execute legit double plays. I hate this more than anything in baseball

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Next Rule Change - NO MORE PHANTOM DOUBLE PLAYS

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You have to tag second base, yes, actually touch it before relaying to first. Runners will have to run hard on both ends and infielders will have to actually execute legit double plays. I hate this more than anything in baseball

[/QUOTE]

Amen Geo.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

with expanded replay coming i suppose they actually will have to touch the bag. if they don't then the manager challenges and the runner is safe.

but yes, i agree. the "neighborhood" play is complete garbage. either you touched the bag and got the out. or you didn't. you can't and shouldn't have both.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Totally agree..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Not gonna happen.  The neighborhood play is about giving some protection to the second baseman, so if they're trying to cut down on injuries, they're certainly not going to change this. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not gonna happen.  The neighborhood play is about giving some protection to the second baseman, so if they're trying to cut down on injuries, they're certainly not going to change this. 

[/QUOTE]

but the neighborhood play isn't in the rule book (i don't think). So next year when managers constantly challenge it umpires will have no choice but to call the runner safe @ second.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

sorry guys Hfxsoxnut is right

the neighborhood play is not reviewable

can't believe no one read the home plate thread

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

OK, I will settle for a moderate adjust in the definition of nighborhood.  Like 3 square blocks vs. the city limits on all sides.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK, I will settle for a moderate adjust in the definition of nighborhood.  Like 3 square blocks vs. the city limits on all sides.

[/QUOTE]

sometimes we're talking out of state.

I mean, i understand why the rule is in place - to keep the fielder from getting blown up but COME ON!

There were a couple Drew got in the PS where even i was like "CMON BLUE! GET YOUR EYES CHECKED!!"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

sometimes we're talking out of state.

I mean, i understand why the rule is in place - to keep the fielder from getting blown up but COME ON!

There were a couple Drew got in the PS where even i was like "CMON BLUE! GET YOUR EYES CHECKED!!"

[/QUOTE]

Oh ... i didn't notice any of those ... Wink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

The next big rule cange will be when the NL adds the DH so that no one ever needs to see a pitcher with a bat in his hands

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Nope, they've already said that the neighborhood double play still will be unreviewable, along with three other things.

- a catch/trap call on a play by an infielder

- a runner being out of the baseline when going from home plate to 1b

- whether a ball is fair or foul when it goes over the bag.

There's just no way they're going to take away the phantom tag of 2B at a time when they're trying to prevent injuries.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This should be a judgement call on the part of the umpire; THAT should be the rule change. The fielder making the relay throw to first base is in a very vulnerable position. If he actually has to confront guys running hard from first to break up the DP he is going to get hurt. That would be incredibly stupid, to put him in that position.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't agree.  This is baseball, not made-for-TV drama.  If the second basement or SS gets taken out of the play, fine -- that's his decision, whether to stay or run.  Is everyone afraid of contact these days?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't agree.  This is baseball, not made-for-TV drama.  If the second basement or SS gets taken out of the play, fine -- that's his decision, whether to stay or run.  Is everyone afraid of contact these days?

[/QUOTE]

I get what you're saying.  But MLB and the NFL are doing this stuff to try to cut down on serious injuries - injuries that can end seasons and careers and even ruin lives.  It's not easy to strike a balance that everybody's going to like. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Ergoetal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I get what you're saying.  But MLB and the NFL are doing this stuff to try to cut down on serious injuries - injuries that can end seasons and careers and even ruin lives.  It's not easy to strike a balance that everybody's going to like. 

[/QUOTE]

but to address it by allowing "Phantom" calls?...........what is NOT in the neighborhood? How do you measure that?.......

don't want injuries but focus should be on the player coming into the base.....that is the player who can control the contact.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nope, they've already said that the neighborhood double play still will be unreviewable, along with three other things.

There's just no way they're going to take away the phantom tag of 2B at a time when they're trying to prevent injuries.

[/QUOTE]

I dont really recall many injuries from people sliding into second base....contact can always cause harm but there is nothing more dangerous than a 100mph ball coming at your head....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

It's like travelling or the 3-second lane rule in the NBA, they should enforce those rules too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dont really recall many injuries from people sliding into second base....contact can always cause harm but there is nothing more dangerous than a 100mph ball coming at your head....

[/QUOTE]

Yep, and that's why the neighborhood double play will stay.  It gives IF's a chance to get out of the way and avoid injury, just like they've been doing for years. 

I don't like it either but I understand why the rule is enforced the way it is and why it won't be enforced to the letter of the law.