No major trade--LL and Ben blowing smoke.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

No major trade--LL and Ben blowing smoke.

I think the Sox are going "stand pat" and see  how their Prospects work out in the minors this season. I would say this is not a Bridge year but a Transition year. New Gm, new Manager and a new Philosophy on Managements part.

I honestly see the Sox as a 4 th place finisher as they go into the season unless they pull off a significant trade similar to what the Reds gave up to get Latos; sell the farm. If they don't trade major prospects for guys like Gio, Bailey and Hanley they will be major sellers at the deadline. 

Management will have a built in "Ace" of an excuse: TJ surgery to Dice and Lackey along with losing Pap and an injury to Youk.

As I see it the Jays and Rays will fight it out for first with their pitching.
    The Yankees and Sox will duke it out for third. and the O's will be a distant 5.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: No major trade--LL and Ben blowing smoke.

really??? this team won 90 games and likely played up to their potential LESS than any other team in MLB and you think we will be a 4th place team.  Without making any changes this team is already likely to have a better season than last year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I won't say you're wrong ctred but I would like to hear the rational with the abundance of pitching the Rays and Jays have versus the Sox question marks with starters and closers, oft injured 3 b and a less than stellar RF, and a LF that didn't perform  last year and your "Ace" who's track record indicates he doesn't pitch well in even years and lost his personal catcher this season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Two trades I would consider to be major that the Sox could make.

1. Trade Crawford for Werth--even up---no prospects, no money. Both are coming off less than stellar seasons for high priced FA.

CC would be a better player in DC and I think Werth would satisfy Sox needs. Werth has a better arm and can play RF, he is a RHanded bat who would be a good middle of the order guy perhaps between AGon and Papi.

2. Trade Bard to the A's for either Gio or Bailey--other pieces if necessary. If Bard is going to be a starter or closer I would rather the experiment be with the A's rather than the Sox. In essence we are getting a player back that we want and need rather than someone we are trying out for three to 6 months.

Ben and Larry if you can't make these two trades...keep us guessing through the off season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero. Show bosoxhero's posts

In Response to Re: No major trade--LL and Ben blowing smoke.:
    [QUOTE]I won't say you're wrong ctred but I would like to hear the rational with the abundance of pitching the Rays and Jays have versus the Sox question marks with starters and closers, oft injured 3 b and a less than stellar RF, and a LF that didn't perform  last year and your "Ace" who's track record indicates he doesn't pitch well in even years and lost his personal catcher this season.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]
    i agree with the sox could win the division.i feel the players that didn't do that well last year will get more production.i feel the injured like agon,pedroia and youkilis will be healthier.lester and buchholtz will pitch full seasons.nobody knows what kalish and reddick will do for a full season.and last but not least crawford or whatever name you guys call him will be better.why do you have spend a ton of money and trade for the best teams.we all expect the sox to do the best they can.but my god only thing i think would make sox fans totally happy would be a payroll of 200 million like the yanks.and they didn't win either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Sox could withstand some improvement in the rotation, but to say this team is a fourth place team is silly.

And seriously, the Jays' pitching?  The Rays have serious depth, but the Jays? 
    That Romero-Morrow-Cecil-Drabek rotation really scares you?   If that waqs the Sox rotation, you would (correctly, this time) be citing the need for much more SP. 

And why do people still think of Brandon Morrow as anything but a lightly above average SP?  Seriously? Are people still buying his pre-draft press hype?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

on paper the team remains easily in the top 7 teams in all MLB, why must we make a move?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]on paper the team remains easily in the top 7 teams in all MLB, why must we make a move?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Because the ranking system on this board is much harsher for Boston than other teams.  Did you hear about that awesome pitching trio in Toronto?  They have Ricky Romero, Brandon Morrow AND Brett Cecil. 

I know our top three are better, but Beckett, Lester and Buchholz are not perfect.  Therefore they are not better. 

SEE THE PROBLEM?!?!!?!?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox could withstand some improvement in the rotation, but to say this team is a fourth place team is silly. And seriously, the Jays' pitching?  The Rays have serious depth, but the Jays?  That Romero-Morrow-Cecil-Drabek rotation really scares you?   If that waqs the Sox rotation, you would (correctly, this time) be citing the need for much more SP.  And why do people still think of Brandon Morrow as anything but a lightly above average SP?  Seriously? Are people still buying his pre-draft press hype?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

You're way off on this assessment.

He's had basically 2 major league seasons pitching in the very un-pitcher-friendly AL East.

In that time, he has gone 21-18 with about a 4.6 ERA. He struck out 178 in 146-1/3 inning in 2010, and 203 in 179-1/3 last year. His WHIP went from 1.38 in 2010 (ok) to 1.28 in 2011 (progression, and that's pretty good). Going over 200 ks in ANY season puts a pitcher in the ace discussions, whether or not they maintain it determines if they ACTUALLY are. But he's 27, just coming into his prime.

Yeah, there's plenty of reason to think he is good, and Romero is better than him. Drabek was only available to get Halladay, so I'd hold out hope for him too.
    I would HAPPILY swap Beckett/Lester/Buccholz and their money and age for the Jays 3. Lester I think is the best of the bunch, but I'll take Romero/Morrow as 2/3 before coming back to the Sox for Beck/Bucc, and Drabek may have the highest ceiling of any of them.

Oh, and Brett Cecil is nothing to sneeze at, certainly better than anyhting the Sox will trot out on the 4th day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox could withstand some improvement in the rotation, but to say this team is a fourth place team is silly. And seriously, the Jays' pitching?  The Rays have serious depth, but the Jays?  That Romero-Morrow-Cecil-Drabek rotation really scares you?   If that waqs the Sox rotation, you would (correctly, this time) be citing the need for much more SP.  And why do people still think of Brandon Morrow as anything but a lightly above average SP?  Seriously? Are people still buying his pre-draft press hype?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Over the past two seasons Brandon Morrow ranks 14th in WAR* among American League starters.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

In Response to No major trade--LL and Ben blowing smoke.:
    [QUOTE]I think the Sox are going "stand pat" and see  how their Prospects work out in the minors this season. I would say this is not a Bridge year but a Transition year. New Gm, new Manager and a new Philosophy on Managements part. I honestly see the Sox as a 4 th place finisher as they go into the season unless they pull off a significant trade similar to what the Reds gave up to get Latos; sell the farm. If they don't trade major prospects for guys like Gio, Bailey and Hanley they will be major sellers at the deadline.  Management will have a built in "Ace" of an excuse: TJ surgery to Dice and Lackey along with losing Pap and an injury to Youk. As I see it the Jays and Rays will fight it out for first with their pitching. The Yankees and Sox will duke it out for third. and the O's will be a distant 5.

You're probably right in saying "transition year".         Theo previous used up the bridge year and run prevention year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Because the red sox are the only team that has injuries year in and year out?  and the correlation between Josh Becketts performance and odd/even numbered years is relevant or coincidence????  Yes other teams are deep with young pitching talent, as if we have NONE??? Thats just not true, and I would agree that we need depth and a couple starters to fill in the back ranks...but EVERY team has holes to fill every year.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]really??? this team won 90 games and likely played up to their potential LESS than any other team in MLB and you think we will be a 4th place team.  Without making any changes this team is already likely to have a better season than last year.
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

C'mon Hugh, you left out the best part.  Not only are the Sox supposedly a 4th place team, but they're battling the Yankees for 3rd in the AL East!  Supposedly the Jays coming of an 81-81 season are now better than the Yankees (97 wins) and Sox (90 wins, playing below expectations).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman2. Show antiqueman2's posts

[QUOTE]on paper the team remains easily in the top 7 teams in all MLB, why must we make a move?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I agree Burrito. Crawford will be better. The Sox will got better by subtaction.Not having Lackey pitch will make Sox better. No Wake or Tek.  Youk, if still on the team, will do better. And if either Aceves or Bard work out as a starter, good things will happen for the Sox.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Rumor has it that Toronto has won the rights to try and sign Yu Darvish.If it's true,he could help their starting rotation.But nobody really knows how he'll adjust to the transistion of a life changing move away from Japan,pitching in the Majors and everything that goes along with it.
      Even so,the Sox are a 90-95 win team as they are right now.It's still early,plenty of time to do some deals and/or sign free agents.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No major trade--LL and Ben blowing smoke. :  Rumor has it that Toronto has won the rights to try and sign Yu Darvish.If it's true,he could help their starting rotation.But nobody really knows how he'll adjust to the transistion of a life changing move away from Japan,pitching in the Majors and everything that goes along with it.   Even so,the Sox are a 90-95 win team as they are right now.It's still early,plenty of time to do some deals and/or sign free agents.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

I'm having trouble buying those rumors (although we'll find out tonight).  The Jay's are rumored to have placed a bid in the mid to high $40M range, while the winning bid is (supposedly) in excess of Dice's $51.1M.  That just doesn't add up for me.  One of the rumors is wrong, or Texas placed the winning bid.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to No major trade--LL and Ben blowing smoke.:
    [QUOTE]I think the Sox are going "stand pat" and see  how their Prospects work out in the minors this season. I would say this is not a Bridge year but a Transition year. New Gm, new Manager and a new Philosophy on Managements part. I honestly see the Sox as a 4th place finisher as they go into the season unless they pull off a significant trade similar to what the Reds gave up to get Latos; sell the farm. If they don't trade major prospects for guys like Gio, Bailey and Hanley they will be major sellers at the deadline.  Management will have a built in "Ace" of an excuse: TJ surgery to Dice and Lackey along with losing Pap and an injury to Youk. As I see it the Jays and Rays will fight it out for first with their pitching. The Yankees and Sox will duke it out for third. and the O's will be a distant 5.

Although anything can happen in a 162 game schedule, I still believe the Sox can still put out an everyday line-up that is better than all teams in the division except the Yankees. I believe that their top 3 starters are also above average and will win enough games to keep the team at the top tier of the AL East standings. Bear in mind the Yankees will be there also.

We all know that the Sox rotation needs help in the 4 and 5 spots, but are they playing any games right now?? NO...so how about we worry about those two slots come March...by then we'll have a clearer picture of both the rotation and bullpen.

Just because they have not reeled in any top tier free agents...which I personally agree with based on the market prices of guys like Wilson and Buerhle...I would think they'll let the market come to them as we get into January and earlier February...at that point we may see a straggling free agent coming to the Sox looking for a job for one season...like Beltre did.

By the time opening day arrives the Sox AND Yanks will have their teams ready to compete. How good they are will depend on their players.

I also think we have not finished hearing about the Jays and Rays...both of these teams will also upgrade before opening day...but I still like the team the Sox can put out there everyday over most of the others.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No major trade--LL and Ben blowing smoke. : I'm having trouble buying those rumors (although we'll find out tonight).  The Jay's are rumored to have placed a bid in the mid to high $40M range, while the winning bid is (supposedly) in excess of Dice's $51.1M.  That just doesn't add up for me.  One of the rumors is wrong, or Texas placed the winning bid.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

We'll know for sure tonight at 9 pm.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

This is just another whiny Sox fan complaining that no deals have been made yet.  The go-to line is now: "they are a third place team" because they have been inactive in picking up players. (although the OP went to the ludicrous extreme that they are a 4th place team.)

NOTE: the OP includes the obligatory reference to trading for Hanley from this crowd.

They still havent fixed the pitching, there's a gaping hole in RF and they will definitely miss Papelbon and they could finish anywhere between 1-4.  We shall see.  Last time I looked they didnt start playing games in December.

If Crawford wakes up they could possibly make a huge deal in moving Ellsbury before he leaves.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

The Sox are fine. Save your complaints until the season ends. Ah, good to be back under my original name. I hate when I can't recall passwords.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Trade Crawford for Werth--even up---no prospects, no money.

Crawford trade value is low. Ellsbury is the player to trade, for a profile like J. Upton or Hanley Ramirez. Add blocked farm parts and net a 2nd tier starter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

By the fourth grade Ellsbury was 6' and 230 pounds of solid hard muscle that bulging out of his massive forearms. He could dunk on a 10' rim in 3rd grade. In high school, Ellsbury lettered in tennis, softball, football and baseball for four years and in Ice hockey, boce, golf, swimming and basketball for three. He hit .981 and had 102 stolen bases his senior year in baseball and averaged 37.6 points per game and had an average of 10.4 blocks per game in basketball. He finished his football career with 39 interceptions and 22 kickoff returns for touchdowns. He was a total all round beast at sports. They called him Dunk a Roo because he would dunk hard in his highschool basketball carrer. He was thought to become the next Michael Jordan.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]Two trades I would consider to be major that the Sox could make. 1. Trade Crawford for Werth--even up---no prospects, no money. Both are coming off less than stellar seasons for high priced FA. CC would be a better player in DC and I think Werth would satisfy Sox needs. Werth has a better arm and can play RF, he is a RHanded bat who would be a good middle of the order guy perhaps between AGon and Papi. 2. Trade Bard to the A's for either Gio or Bailey--other pieces if necessary. If Bard is going to be a starter or closer I would rather the experiment be with the A's rather than the Sox. In essence we are getting a player back that we want and need rather than someone we are trying out for three to 6 months. Ben and Larry if you can't make these two trades...keep us guessing through the off season.

Now this makes a lot of sense!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Wow, how time flies.  I had no idea the trade deadline of July 31st had past already.

And here I still have my tree up for pete's sake!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]By the fourth grade Ellsbury was 6' and 230 pounds of solid hard muscle that bulging out of his massive forearms. He could dunk on a 10' rim in 3rd grade. In high school, Ellsbury lettered in tennis, softball, football and baseball for four years and in Ice hockey, boce, golf, swimming and basketball for three. He hit .981 and had 102 stolen bases his senior year in baseball and averaged 37.6 points per game and had an average of 10.4 blocks per game in basketball. He finished his football career with 39 interceptions and 22 kickoff returns for touchdowns. He was a total all round beast at sports. They called him Dunk a Roo because he would dunk hard in his highschool basketball carrer. He was thought to become the next Michael Jordan.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Pure athelete. Why not wait a few years to see if he developes into another Fred Lynn and see what the market value is for him then. You could also determine how many teams by then have two outfielders who are earning $20 mil. By then payrolls might approach $250 mil. which means that teams will have starting positions averaging such salaries. Has anyone looked carefully at the salaries of the Yankee position players? What should Robinson Cano demand? Help me out here Yankee fans or are you here only to curb RS optimism? If the whiners were unhappy with Drew's salary then compare Drew vs. Ellsbury and come back with what Ellsbury should command two years from now.