No plan on solving lefties

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

No plan on solving lefties

I'm convinced the Sox have no clue how to solve lefties so far which could end up being the difference between having a chance at the big dance, or a half hearted attempt and commitment to those who will fail.

Lets face it, we can't deal with lefties at this point because we either put the wrong lineup out there, or just don't really know how to correct the weakness.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: No plan on solving lefties

Ben signed two of the best hitters vs LHPs in MLB in Gomes and Victorino. Papi had apparently solved his issues vs lefties. Napoli had hit lefties pretty well over his career. While I had hoped Ben would have found a cheap 3B platoon renatl at the deadline, I can't really blame him for not trying to solve the problem. (Michael Young was not "the savior".)

I don't blame John. There is not alternative to Drew at SS. Lava vs LHPs may be better than Salty, but not enough to make a difference. Snyder has done well in a tiny sample vs LHPs, but I doubt anyone sees him as leading us out of our doldrum vs lefties. 

The plan is to hope Shane and Jonny start doing what we hoped they'd do, Papi turns it around again vs lefties, Pedey and others improve a bit, and pray we don't have to face Price and Moore 4 times in a playoff series.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Ben signed two of the best hitters vs LHPs in MLB in Gomes and Victorino. Papi had apparently solved his issues vs lefties. Napoli had hit lefties pretty well over his career. While I had hoped Ben would have found a cheap 3B platoon renatl at the deadline, I can't really blame him for not trying to solve the problem. (Michael Young was not "the savior".)

I don't blame John. There is not alternative to Drew at SS. Lava vs LHPs may be better than Salty, but not enough to make a difference. Snyder has done well in a tiny sample vs LHPs, but I doubt anyone sees him as leading us out of our doldrum vs lefties. 

The plan is to hope Shane and Jonny start doing what we hoped they'd do, Papi turns it around again vs lefties, Pedey and others improve a bit, and pray we don't have to face Price and Moore 4 times in a playoff series.

Sox4ever

moon, I don't blame Farrell but we do have alternatives within the system.  Middy "315" and Bogy "333" could both be brought up at this point and placed in the same lineup to see if it helps. 

Against lefties?

Jacoby CF

Victorino RF

Pede 2B

Papi, DH

Carp LF 

Napoli, 1B He only hits 243 but with very few SO’s compared to righties

Middy 3B

C?  Doesn't matter none of our catchers hit lefties

SS Bogy

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sox have a winning record against lefties, just not as good a record or as good a team OPS as against righties. 

I like moonslav's explanation of what Ben C had in mind, but would add the team's offense has overall been way better than we had any right to expect.  And I absolutely do not agree the fault last night lay with Farrell for not playing the right guys. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Here's my plan:

DFA Snyder

Demote Holt

Bring up Middlebrooks and Bogaerts.

This would be my lineup against lefties:

Ellsbury   CF

Victorino  RF

Pedroia   2B

Ortiz       1B (yes 1B for a game here and there)

Gomes    LF

Bogaerts  3B/DH

Drew       SS

Middlebrooks DH/3B

Lavarnway  C

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Here's my plan:

DFA Snyder

Demote Holt

Ellsbury   CF

Victorino  RF

Pedroia   2B

Gomes    LF

Bogaerts  3B/DH

Drew       SS

Middlebrooks DH/3B

Lavarnway  C

WOW

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Here's my plan:

DFA Snyder

Demote Holt

Ellsbury   CF

Victorino  RF

Pedroia   2B

Gomes    LF

Bogaerts  3B/DH

Drew       SS

Middlebrooks DH/3B

Lavarnway  C

I wouldn't not have a BU infielder nor would I bench Napoli, but wouldn't it make more sense to have Bogaerts or Middlebrooks play first or have Bogaerts play SS and have Napoli play 1rst? Your line up is pretty wild.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Anybody look at Snyder's splits against Lefthanded Starters and Left Handed relievers?  You sure you want to DFA him? Not me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Since July 1, here are the lefty starters that the Sox have faced, whether the Sox won or lost the game, and the starter's game score in that start. Game score ranges from 0 to 100, with an "average" start being somewhere around 48.

Erlin - W - 37

Stults - W - 29

Wilson - W - 49

Pettitte - W - 48

Sabatthia - W - 24

Moore - L - 86

Price - L - 77

Price - L - 78

Saunders - W - 31

Corbin - W - 48

Oberholtzer - L - 69

Chen - L - 70

Our record against lefties since July 1 (I was too lazy to go back any further) is 7-5, .583%, which is not too shabby.

In the 5 losses, the opposing pitchers were pretty dominant. But looking at the names of those pitchers and how they have performed lately, do you chalk it up to the offense's inability to solve lefties or do you give credit for some pretty good pitching? I don't think other teams have fared much better against these guys recently (small samples for some of them).

In the 7 wins, the opposing pitchers' game scores have been average, at best, meaning that those pitchers were not dominating our line up. Four of those game scores were pretty bad.

While I agree that there is room for improvement against LHP, maybe it's not so much a team weakness, but rather the fact that good pitching almost always beats good hitting. Yes, we struggle against tough lefties, but don't all teams? Isn't that the reason why they're considered tough lefties to begin with?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

moon, I don't blame Farrell but we do have alternatives within the system. 

OK, but you mentioned 2 possible reasons we stink vs lefties and one was putting the wrong line-up out there, so I thought you were implying John was or might be at fault.

Middy "315" and Bogy "333" could both be brought up at this point and placed in the same lineup to see if it helps. 

I'm not sure either would have been good moves, except maybe after the Iggy trade. I think there might be more far-reaching aspects to calling either of them up before Ben thinks they are ready.

Middlebrooks has confidence issues and has been fielding badly. I'm not saying he is not a better option than Snyder, but his confidence could be shaken forever if he comes up and fails again, and besides, would Middy have hit over .900 vs LHPs as Snyder has so far in a tiny sampe size?

Boggy looks ready to me, and seemingly is a better option than Holt or Snyder, but he is just 20 years old. I trust Ben on the timing with this kid. He has risen fast through the ranks already. I understand the need we have right now, but sometimes balance is needed. I'd love to see Boggy sooner rather than later, but find it hard to be too critical about these decisions.

The only move I can see making as a waiver deal would be for cheap platoon rentals: 3Man who hits better than Holt/Snyder or a back-up catcher who hits lefties well and can field better than Lava, but I am not sure on D Ross.

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Since July 1, here are the lefty starters that the Sox have faced, whether the Sox won or lost the game, and the starter's game score in that start. Game score ranges from 0 to 100, with an "average" start being somewhere around 48.

Erlin - W - 37

Stults - W - 29

Wilson - W - 49

Pettitte - W - 48

Sabatthia - W - 24

Moore - L - 86

Price - L - 77

Price - L - 78

Saunders - W - 31

Corbin - W - 48

Oberholtzer - L - 69

Chen - L - 70

Our record against lefties since July 1 (I was too lazy to go back any further) is 7-5, .583%, which is not too shabby.

In the 5 losses, the opposing pitchers were pretty dominant. But looking at the names of those pitchers and how they have performed lately, do you chalk it up to the offense's inability to solve lefties or do you give credit for some pretty good pitching? I don't think other teams have fared much better against these guys recently (small samples for some of them).

In the 7 wins, the opposing pitchers' game scores have been average, at best, meaning that those pitchers were not dominating our line up. Four of those game scores were pretty bad.

While I agree that there is room for improvement against LHP, maybe it's not so much a team weakness, but rather the fact that good pitching almost always beats good hitting. Yes, we struggle against tough lefties, but don't all teams? Isn't that the reason why they're considered tough lefties to begin with?

Excellent leg work.

My biggest fear right now is facing TB and having to go against Price and Moore 4 times.

I think we match up well against Detroit's righty starters.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Erlin - W - 37

Stults - W - 29

Wilson - W - 49

Pettitte - W - 48

Sabatthia - W - 24

Moore - L - 86

Price - L - 77

Price - L - 78

Saunders - W - 31

Corbin - W - 48

Oberholtzer - L - 69

Chen - L - 70

Thanks for info, Snyder combined agianst these Pitchers 9-32. Didn't play against Saunders. Not Hall of Fame, but not that bad for guy who has to platoon.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

I'm not sold on Ben solving this problem.

This problem is named "solving lefties".

Look at the off season moves.

Vic when healthy is a good fielder but worth no where near 13 mil

I agree, but Shane was one of the best hitters vs lefties in MLB the previous 2-3 years.

Gomes can't catch the flu and hasn't hit untill recently .  Expectations were for 20 plus HRs as we speak he has 10.

Fielding better won't solve the lefty issue. Gomes had been one of the best hitters in MLb vs LHPs the previous 2-3 years.

Dempster is fading fast and looks lile a  big mistake at this point.

He doesn't even bat.

Drew and Nap have also been so so at best but i'll give hime these because of the one year contracts.

Drew was signed to hit righties and bridge to Boggy.

Ben got lucky  that the players he inherited were for the most part healtly and are having good years. Oh and Valentine is gone the best off season we made.

Ben picked up Carp for dirt. Ben signed Uehara. Ben acquired Peavy for someone he considered a utility IF'er. 

Healthy?

Buch, Bailey, Lackey, Hanrahan, Papi, Drew, Ross, Miller, and others...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Sox4ever

moon, I don't blame Farrell but we do have alternatives within the system. 

OK, but you mentioned 2 possible reasons we stink vs lefties and one was putting the wrong line-up out there, so I thought you were implying John was or might be at fault.

Middy "315" and Bogy "333" could both be brought up at this point and placed in the same lineup to see if it helps. 

I'm not sure either would have been good moves, except maybe after the Iggy trade. I think there might be more far-reaching aspects to calling either of them up before Ben thinks they are ready.

Middlebrooks has confidence issues and has been fielding badly. I'm not saying he is not a better option than Snyder, but his confidence could be shaken forever if he comes up and fails again, and besides, would Middy have hit over .900 vs LHPs as Snyder has so far in a tiny sampe size?

Boggy looks ready to me, and seemingly is a better option than Holt or Snyder, but he is just 20 years old. I trust Ben on the timing with this kid. He has risen fast through the ranks already. I understand the need we have right now, but sometimes balance is needed. I'd love to see Boggy sooner rather than later, but find it hard to be too critical about these decisions.

The only move I can see making as a waiver deal would be for cheap platoon rentals: 3Man who hits better than Holt/Snyder or a back-up catcher who hits lefties well and can field better than Lava, but I am not sure on D Ross.

Mike hasn't hit lefties well for the past two years now.  In my opinion he may be playing hurt or just isn't the same person he once was due to previous injuries.  Both Gomes and Nap are also playing a lot more games against AL East pitchers and under more pressure in Fenway which could have an impact.  Who really knows but their 2013 stats are pretty bad and we need a change ASAP.

Bogy can probably play 3B or SS and even at 20 is a better hitter than Holt or Snyder in my opinion.  Middy is definately better against lefties so lets bring him back up.  I agree we need to pull off a deal from the waiver draft if we don't feel other options will work.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Mike hasn't hit lefties well for the past two years now.  In my opinion he may be playing hurt or just isn't the same person he once was due to previous injuries.  Both Gomes and Nap are also playing a lot more games against AL East pitchers and under more pressure in Fenway which could have an impact. Who really knows but their 2013 stats are pretty bad and we need a change ASAP.

I'm not sure what's up with Napoli and LHPs. He killed them in 2011 (1.049) and over his career has been better vs lefties (.884) than righties (.838). I am usually one to value the most recent 2-3 year numbers above all else, but some guys are hard to project.

Think of it this way, we signed Victorino and Gomes to continue killing lefties, but they are not. Are we really that sure than Napoli will not revert to his career norm at any minute? And Gomes and Vic as well?

Bogy can probably play 3B or SS and even at 20 is a better hitter than Holt or Snyder in my opinion.  Middy is definately better against lefties so lets bring him back up. 

You want to put a 20 year old under the "pressure in Fenway"? After just saying maybe that pressure has gotten to the vets?

I agree we need to pull off a deal from the waiver draft if we don't feel other options will work.

A cheap 3B or catcher platoon rental... OK.

Sox4ever