Not sure if I like Bard as a Starter...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

Not sure if I like Bard as a Starter...

A couple of innings is too soon to tell.

One thing I do know watching the game is, Francona is a mutch better sunflower seed spitter than Valentine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Not sure if I like Bard as a Starter...

I am sure of one thing: I like him as a set-up man.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Neh, too early to tell, but I think he'll be fine. Could be a big surprise actually....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I can guarantee you one thing.  Bard ABSOLUTELY WILL BE worlds better than Lackey or Dice-K!!!!  

Ok, that's not saying much, but I really have high hopes for this kid!  His change up is a sick contrast to his fast ball, and his slider is flat out one excellent major league pitch.  :)  There will certainly be growing pains, but I honestly think this kid has the stuff to be an excellent starter.  Bard is so much more valuable to this team as a starter!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Not sure if I like Bard as a Starter...:
    [QUOTE]A couple of innings is too soon to tell. One thing I do know watching the game is, Francona is a mutch better sunflower seed spitter than Valentine.
    Posted by tbs2007[/QUOTE]

3 more excellent innings ...  still too soon, but not a bad start!  Much easier to be hopeful with this beginning than if he got rocked twice.

(Please don't remind me it was against that powerhouse line-up of TB....  hehe!)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Not sure if I like Bard as a Starter...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Not sure if I like Bard as a Starter... : 3 more excellent innings ...  still too soon, but not a bad start!  Much easier to be hopeful with this beginning than if he got rocked twice. (Please don't remind me it was against that powerhouse line-up of TB....  hehe!)
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Hey Yaz,

Bard's stuff alone makes him a legit contender. The question that remains to be answered is can he command it for 100 pitches, every 5 days and successfully navigate a lineup three times in a game? If he can then he'll be just fine. My guess is that he'll hit a few bumps along the way. I like his upside (#1 stuff), if the kid can consistently command his offspeed stuff while maintianing a plus fastball for 6 or 7 innings. The key to me is his change up vs lefties and i'm pretty sure that he'll propbably add a cutter to his arsenal as well...

I thought he looked pretty good yesterday maintined a 95 plus fastball over 3 innings and didn't look to be over throwing, he spun a couple of sliders that were nasty, but rolled a few of them too...We'll learn more as we get deeper into the spring, his last two starts will give us a better barometer from which to measure where he is.

To me the key's are...

1) Maintianing his fastball velocity (95 plus) and command, after he passes the 60 pitch threshold (innings 5-6-7). Then going out and doing it every 5 days...;

2) Change-up/two seemer combo to lefties. While mixing in a few cutters in on the hands.

3) Use of his slider as a put away pitch to righties and throwing it down and in at the lefties back foot.

Should be fun to watch...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

We all know Bard can pitch well for 1,2 or even 3 innings. The question is can he pitch 6,7, or 8 innings-and can he do it consistantly for a season. This outing says nothing about that. Time will tell, but I suspect that if he struggles in the starter role, Dice-K will replace him in the rotation and he'll return to late inning studness again. It's how I see things going.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Francona choosing to cling to Bard as a set up guy when the team was crashing and burning miught have been the dumbest thing he ever did...and that is saying a lot...even if he has trouble lasting more than 6 innings, he is a huge improvement over Wakefield or anyone else they stuck with in 2011....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Not sure if I like Bard as a Starter...:
    [QUOTE]A couple of innings is too soon to tell. One thing I do know watching the game is, Francona is a mutch better sunflower seed spitter than Valentine.
    Posted by tbs2007[/QUOTE]

Bard could easily become another Justin Masterson, or a bust like Joba or Hughes as a starter.  Either way I hope it doesn't screw up his mind set if he does return to the pen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Not sure if I like Bard as a Starter...": [QUOTE]Francona choosing to cling to Bard as a set up guy when the team was crashing and burning miught have been the dumbest thing he ever did...and that is saying a lot...even if he has trouble lasting more than 6 innings, he is a huge improvement over Wakefield or anyone else they stuck with in 2011.... Posted by georom4[/QUOTE] It's actually even more stupid to try to convert a reliever into a starter DURING the season. It's never, ever done for a reason...I'm hoping you weren't serious with this post...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

jasko....are you serious? who came up with that rule? you? why wouldnt you if you were down 3 starters and fighting for the last playoff spot? Was bard's head going to explode if he or Aceves started in September? Your idiocy knows no bounds does it?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

georom, I think you might have a better case saying Aceves should have made some starts...but you can't blame the pitching meltdown on Tito, by the end of September Aceves was about the only reliable pitcher we had.  Bedard was no help at all.  Weiland, Wakefield, Miller...they were all horrible.  And Bard's arm was exhausted by that point.  Just a total disaster. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

HFX, you are right, Aceves was the better choice - but I have no idea what jasko is talking about....throwing the same crapola out there in september doomed us - we needed fresh blood badly  Aceves or bard were more than capable and ready

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Not sure if I like Bard as a Starter...": [QUOTE]jasko....are you serious? who came up with that rule? you? why wouldnt you if you were down 3 starters and fighting for the last playoff spot? Was bard's head going to explode if he or Aceves started in September? Your idiocy knows no bounds does it? Posted by georom4[/QUOTE] Wow, I'm the idiot, but you're going to take a one inning reliever and make him a starter in September? That's ridiculous at best. Aceves was at least stretched out a bit, a term you're clearly not familiar with, but he would have given us 5 or 6 innings tops, and there was risk in that as well. Stick to your forte, OCD induced Beckett rants.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

pesky - 8th inning setup man or a starter...you have to choose one...what do you choose? is this a serious question?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Not sure if I like Bard as a Starter...": [QUOTE]pesky - 8th inning setup man or a starter...you have to choose one...what do you choose? is this a serious question? Posted by georom4[/QUOTE] Tito actually wanted to make Bard a starter last September, but unfortunately his magic wand was in the shop being repaired.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Geo you must know that it would take months to get a guy ready to pitch 100 pitches a game who is used to coming in and throwing 30.

That's how you end guys careers.

Regardless I wouldn't worry too much about Bard this year.  Even if he isn't amazing his stuff is good enough for him to win 10 to 15 games.  I don't see how he will be a complete failure out there with the arm and control that he has.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

snake, were no talkiing about 120 pitches...were talking about geting 5 innings from a young guy with a strong arm - he's not made of glass

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]snake, were no talkiing about 120 pitches...were talking about geting 5 innings from a young guy with a strong arm - he's not made of glass
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

You have a point but it isn't just Francona that wouldn't have done it.  No manager would have.  Even if it makes no sense it just isn't done.  I can't think of one time in the 35 years I have been following baseball that the Red Sox have started a guy who is used to pitching one inning a game.

Now Aceves is a different story, he was stretched out a little bit and could have gone 5 without too much trouble.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]jasko....are you serious? who came up with that rule? you? why wouldnt you if you were down 3 starters and fighting for the last playoff spot? Was bard's head going to explode if he or Aceves started in September? Your idiocy knows no bounds does it?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Well, as you've since acknowledged, Aceves and Bard are apples and oranges...Aceves was a swing man who could pitch multiple innings in relief and who made spot starts within the season...he had been prepared before the season for such a role.

Before you take jasko to task, answer this...how many times have you seen a one-inning RP converted into a starter midseason, without at least some sort of gradual conversion (i.e. some time in the minors or use in long relief)?

You are essentially advocating for Bard to have gone from frequent single innings to immediate use as a SP...I'm certain that would not be a good idea for the health of the pitcher's arm. There's a reason players are "stretched out" during spring training. If the Sox had wanted to make Bard a SP, they would have essentially needed to surrender about a month at some point midseason to make the conversion BEFORE actually using him for starts...think they were in a rush to do that while looking like a playoff lock?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Hopefully Bard works out as a starter...a lot depends on what happens to his speed and how well he can throw strikes with his other pitchers which he really didn't have to use in the BP.  There are not many pitchers like Verlander who can throw 100mph a whole game.