Novel thought, just ban the press

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: Novel thought, just ban the press

Someone is having a great deal of trouble reading and comprehending the thoughts in this thread. Nobody has advocated censorship. The criticisms are about unprofessional reporting. Mazz admits that he is unprofessional. Here is a Mazz statement from his column in yesterday's Globe:

"Henry seemed legitimately angry. Certainly, he had every right to be. But many of us in this business say and write preposterous things all the time, the words often disappearing without any acknowledgment whatsoever because our subjects know there is nothing behind them."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Entitling a thread "ban the press" is a criticism of unprofessional reporting?  And YOU think there's a reading comprehension issue?

No, it's advocating censorship.

Otherwise, you can entitle the thread "unprofessional reporting."

:: now certain these people are from Texas ::

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Why is closing the clubhouse door to the press censorship. The team can restrict pregame, postgame access or draw lines on the floor that can't be crossed. This doesn't prevent the press from writing anything that they wish. It just means that the team no longer wishes to provide information for story lines. If I ban a Jehovah's witness from my front porch, it isn't censorship. It just means that I don't want them there. The First Amendment only guarantees your right to speak in a public place. The Red Sox clubhouse or my front porch are not public places. Does the press have a right to attend a part on John Henry's yacht?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Novel thought, just ban the press:
    [QUOTE]If you have a problem in a business, you deal with it by cutting loose the problem. The press doesn't have a right to cover the team, it's a privilege. They can still do their "job" by watching TV & writing about the game, the job they are supposed to do, instead of creating drama by making sh*t up. The Boston press has a horrible reputation, rightfully deserved, & maybe if one team takes the first step the rest of them will follow.
    Posted by xxxcrwn[/QUOTE]
    Help me here ... are you suggesting banning the press from the clubhouse, which I don't have a problem with? Or banning the press from Fenway Park to cover the games, which is ludicrous?
    I also disagree with your premise ... the press absolutely has a right to cover the team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Let's not start blaming the press for the Sox problems. Focus on what went wrong , and how to fix it.  Don't shoot the messenger.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

"Why is closing the clubhouse door to the press censorship."

Because the park itself has all kinds of linkage to public projects and tax breaks.  Because MLB is the company, RS are a franchise, and MLB has all kinds of compacts with the public.

I'm sorry, but the lack of knowledge of how things work is just jarring on here ... do people have ANY sense of how intertwined pro sports franchises are with their host cities?  In ways both formal and informal, explicit and implicit?

When you receive the benefit of being a public institution, you have a responsibility to the public.   Professional sports teams schedule press access, and it's very easily controlled at the park. 

A whole other topic is whether it's fair to get a salary of millions of dollars because you play for the public, and then demand privacy when convenient for you.  To an extent - sure.

But let's call it like it is.  The OP is unhappy with some media coverage, petulantly suggests censorship (try to travel outside the country - no, not Cancun), ... get real.

Here's a much better solution for those times when you find you don't like the media coverage of the team: find something else to do with your time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Novel thought, just ban the press:
    [QUOTE]Let's not start blaming the press for the Sox problems. Focus on what went wrong , and how to fix it.  Don't shoot the messenger.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Columnists by definition get paid to have opinions and entertain. The message that they deliver need not be based on facts or quotes. They are free to speculate or to distort what players or management says or does.Shaugnessy is a master at this. He bashes the clubhouse three for being silent and then bashes Lester when he speaks out sincerely. Either way, Dan will nail you. Next year the players should have a team meeting and decide to give the media as little information as possible. Try to remember that the mission of Dan is to sell newspapers or to generate traffic to the website. He job description is identical to that of Felger and Mazz. It is all about entertainment.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

With all of the accusations coming from unnamed sources, did the writer ever think to ask the players named their comments? We saw no exercise to actually confirm any of the accusations. They were just thrown out there. Yes they are true to some degree but not to the degree which most readers jumped to or seemed to be written as.

Goos Journalists will try and confirm their stories. IMHO this was not done in this case. And we are finding this out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]With all of the accusations coming from unnamed sources, did the writer ever think to ask the players named their comments? We saw no exercise to actually confirm any of the accusations. They were just thrown out there. Yes they are true to some degree but not to the degree which most readers jumped to or seemed to be written as. Goos Journalists will try and confirm their stories. IMHO this was not done in this case. And we are finding this out.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]
    Do you have confirmation of this?

From the Bob Hohler story:

Beckett, Lackey, and Lester did not reply to messages left on their phones and with their agents.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-10-12/sports/30271654_1_jon-lester-josh-beckett-terry-francona/4

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Novel thought, just ban the press : Do you have confirmation of this?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Before you start hounding other posters what about Babe Ruth as a celebrity and how is that even remotely comparable to todays standards?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Uticaclub, you have fallen into the trap of deciding what is responsible or not.  The American press has been "irresponsible" for virtually its entire history, going back to at least the 18th century.  Muckraking is a longstanding American tradition.  Mazz ain't no worse than plenty of others. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Actually columnists have the license to speculate and make guesses without having the facts. Most of Shaughnessy's columns are largely devoid of actual facts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Novel thought, just ban the press : Before you start hounding other posters what about Babe Ruth as a celebrity and how is that even remotely comparable to todays standards?
    Posted by RSF4Life234[/QUOTE]
    Baseball players constituted most of the high-profile American sports celebrities in the first half of the 20th century. Football and basketball players took over the celebrity mantel starting in the 1960s. I work with avid sports fans who have no idea who John Lackey is. Baseball has taken a back seat in American culture.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Uticaclub, you have fallen into the trap of deciding what is responsible or not.  The American press has been "irresponsible" for virtually its entire history, going back to at least the 18th century.  Muckraking is a longstanding American tradition.  Mazz ain't no worse than plenty of others. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

If this is so then what does it say about fans who get take these writers seriously and believe them. If fans were smart they would ignore what the columnists have to say since their columns are basically just opinions.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Novel thought, just ban the press : Baseball players constituted most of the high-profile American sports celebrities in the first half of the 20th century. Football and basketball players took over the celebrity mantel starting in the 1960s. I work with avid sports fans who have no idea who John Lackey is. Baseball has taken a back seat in American culture.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

You are ignoring the evolution of the Media, people at the time didnt care about Babe Ruths personal life, he could have drank all he wanted in the club house and it wouldnt have mattered at all as long as he went out and kept performing. Sports writers are targetting beckett who had an insane year, the coverage is turning into something out of the National Enquirer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Novel thought, just ban the press : You are ignoring the evolution of the Media, people at the time didnt care about Babe Ruths personal life, he could have drank all he wanted in the club house and it wouldnt have mattered at all as long as he went out and kept performing. Sports writers are targetting beckett who had an insane year, the coverage is turning into something out of the National Enquirer.
    Posted by RSF4Life234[/QUOTE]
    "Insane?"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

posted at 10/17/2011 5:41 PM EDT
    First: 1/14/2006
    Last: 10/17/2011
    With all of the accusations coming from unnamed sources, did the writer ever think to ask the players named their comments? We saw no exercise to actually confirm any of the accusations. They were just thrown out there. Yes they are true to some degree but not to the degree which most readers jumped to or seemed to be written as. Goos Journalists will try and confirm their stories. IMHO this was not done in this case. And we are finding this out.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

Do you have confirmation of this?

From the Bob Hohler story:

Beckett, Lackey, and Lester did not reply to messages left on their phones and with their agents.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-10-12/sports/30271654_1_jon-lester-josh-beckett-terry-francona/4

They didn't reply because Hohler put himself in a position where he's become a jerk who can't be trusted.
    Ryan wrote a terrific piece on Mueller (GLORY OF '04) recently.
    It's chalk full of interesting quotes from several players.
    Check it out and compare the two.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE] The players should take the opposite track, and intentionally mis-lead the media. pretend they have feuds and problems with other guys, then laugh as the the writers run with it. Remember Beltre's head touching "problem", hilarious!
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

Maybe they did.   Wink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]"Why is closing the clubhouse door to the press censorship." Because the park itself has all kinds of linkage to public projects and tax breaks.  Because MLB is the company, RS are a franchise, and MLB has all kinds of compacts with the public. I'm sorry, but the lack of knowledge of how things work is just jarring on here ... do people have ANY sense of how intertwined pro sports franchises are with their host cities?  In ways both formal and informal, explicit and implicit? When you receive the benefit of being a public institution, you have a responsibility to the public.   Professional sports teams schedule press access, and it's very easily controlled at the park.  A whole other topic is whether it's fair to get a salary of millions of dollars because you play for the public, and then demand privacy when convenient for you.  To an extent - sure. But let's call it like it is.  The OP is unhappy with some media coverage, petulantly suggests censorship (try to travel outside the country - no, not Cancun), ... get real. Here's a much better solution for those times when you find you don't like the media coverage of the team: find something else to do with your time.
    Posted by ABQDan[/QUOTE]

Wrong. There needs to be more responsibility in reporting the "news". If a reporter is just out to sensationalize a story to sell newspapers or sound bites, I see no problem with protecting yourself from the circus they create.

I was traveling out of state for a concert, and a reporter covering it was on the train. He asked me if he could interview me. I said I didn't want to be interviewed. During the trip he asked me two more times. I actually changed cars to get away from him. When he found me again, I said I would do the interview if he would then leave me alone. He agreed. He turned the camera on and pointed it at my feet working his way up my legs and stopping at my face. There was nothing I could say because I had a bright white light shining in my face, and I knew whatever I said he was going to air. He then asked me ridiculous questions that had nothing to do with the show like "Do you think they're going to be serving alchohol at the concert?" I can't even remember some of the things he asked me because I was so livid. I knew he was doing this because I initially refused to talk to him. Thankfully, my friend interrupted the conversation, and I was able to get away from him. Do you think I ever let that happen to me again?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Novel thought, just ban the press : Wrong. There needs to be more responsibility in reporting the "news". If a reporter is just out to sensationalize a story to sell newspapers or sound bites, I see no problem with protecting yourself from the circus they create. I was traveling out of state for a concert, and a reporter covering it was on the train. He asked me if he could interview me. I said I didn't want to be interviewed. During the trip he asked me two more times. I actually changed cars to get away from him. When he found me again, I said I would do the interview if he would then leave me alone. He agreed. He turned the camera on and pointed it at my feet working his way up my legs and stopping at my face. There was nothing I could say because I had a bright white light shining in my face, and I knew whatever I said he was going to air. He then asked me ridiculous questions that had nothing to do with the show like "Do you think they're going to be serving alchohol at the concert?" I can't even remember some of the things he asked me because I was so livid. I knew he was doing this because I initially refused to talk to him. Thankfully, my friend interrupted the conversation, and I was able to get away from him. Do you think I ever let that happen to me again?
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Many members of the press are just slightly removed from the cockroach family.
    I can tell you a few stories about my Nashville days that would even make the roaches cringe.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Cries for censorship are what modern American culture is all about. Don't say anything hateful, which the current administration will define.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Did you see today HP was saying Obama was getting the negative shaft from the media.. yet we are always told the media is a tool of the Left. Point is, the media exists on negativity and they will take their own down if that makes a story.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Novel thought, just ban the press : Many members of the press are just slightly removed from the cockroach family. I can tell you a few stories about my Nashville days that would even make the roaches cringe.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

It was a horrible experience, and I just thought, whatever, no one is ever going to see this. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. And he, apparently, had my name on the screen because I was dumb enough to give it to him. Just goes to show you that your initial instincts are usually correct.