NYY Death Watch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

NYY Death Watch

2 nails left in the coffin before it is slammed shut; and that's optimistic. However, this yet again banged up team does not show any indication of going on a streak; that's what you get for having a bunch of expensive 40 yr olds - injuries galore.

Note - I know there's a similar thread, but for some reason I can't post there

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: NYY Death Watch

I just don't understand why ownership would want to keep Ca$hman.  He served his job OK when he had blank checks but they need to get someone in there who is much more baseball savvy.  Just look at this year vs Ben - he could had gotten all the guys Ben got - Napoli, Victorino, Uhera, Carp, Gomes........and he didn't......He could had kept Ibanez and Swisher but he chose to go in another direction.  He could had kept Russell Martin and passed......or even David Ross...........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Ibanez did not want to stay with the team; Perennial playoff choker Swisher wanted a big contract, and they were fed up with his PS flubs; Martin was the biggest goof; Stewart can't hit, and he's not that good defensively either. While I don't like Cashman (let's not forget the barren farm), he does have his hands tied by his anal superiors.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

They lived a full life, loved and were loved. Their passing will leave a void that time alone can never fill, they will be missed.

NYY (4/1/13 - 9/29/13)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Ibanex did not want to stay with team; Perennial playoff choker Swisher wanted a big contract, and they were fed up with his PS flops; Martin was the biggest goof. While I don't like Cashman (let's not forget the barren farm), he does have his hands tied by his anal superiors.

Believe me.  I will NOT forget the barren farm system.  If they had any farm system at all you'd see those kids up here now and doing well.  The mess is going to last for at leat 2 seasons.  Especially next year........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Ibanex did not want to stay with team; Perennial playoff choker Swisher wanted a big contract, and they were fed up with his PS flops; Martin was the biggest goof. While I don't like Cashman (let's not forget the barren farm), he does have his hands tied by his anal superiors.

Believe me.  I will NOT forget the barren farm system.  If they had any farm system at all you'd see those kids up here now and doing well.  The mess is going to last for at leat 2 seasons.  Especially next year........

Agreed

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I would think Cashman would be Ok if he was left alone to do his job. There are deals that were more George, and now the sons of George, than Cash.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

It's going to be interesting to see what the Yankees do next season.  A healthy Pineda could be a big boost, but presumably no A-Rod, Pettitte & Rivera.  Kuroda, Cano & Jeter question marks.  Salary concerns.  You would think that stringing together a few bad seasons would be more costly to the franchise than going over the luxury tax, but even if they empty their wallets, is there enough talent on the FA market to make a difference?  It's hard to believe they won't find some way to stay relevant.

As for the rest of this season, I think the Indians and Rangers are going to win the wild-card spots.  The AL East teams are just knocking each other out of contention.  It's kind of a shame - it won't be the next two best teams that make the playoffs, which was the point of the new format.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys...  Smile

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Also, I want to put Baltimore on a death watch as I recall painfully their knocking us out of the playoffs 2 years ago and it was a World Series for them doing it to us. NY too could not win one game vs Tampa & blew a 7 run lead in the last.

Although the Orioles can't knock us out of a playoff spot or even the inevitable, I believe, division title, I want to put a nail in their playoff coffin and also keep winning so that we have the best record and home field. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

They'd rather take an attendance hit than go over the luxury tax IMO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The walk out of the woods is about 3-4 years long for NY.  Unless they decide to just go insanely crazy and say "F the luxury tax" and overspend on free agents every offseason.

But the problem with that is not as many elite players are entering free agency, and when they do they are often a few years older than in the past and bare more risk.  Even if they wanted to buy a team it would be much harder, more expensive than it was in the past with the new much more harsh luxury tax.  Also they would constantly lose draft picks, So if their overpaid AARP teams under performed or became injured plagued (reference 2013) they would have a barren farm system to provide depth.

Oh wait....this has already happened.

It doesn't take a decade to rebuild in baseball like it does in basketball, NY's time in the basement could be very short lived but they would have to fully embrace the stink.  They HAVE to get under the cap for a season or two, take the higher draft picks, let free agents walk and take the draft picks, and get these contrats off the books.  There is no reason with their willingess to spend that they can't be a force in the A.L. east again.....but they are going to be pretty horrible (in my opinion) for the next couple years. 

If they live in denial it could be longer than that.   But seriously what Yankee fan in their right mind can rationalize decisions like letting Robinson Cano go right now. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Yankees need to win all of their remaining games to have a shot at a wild card berth.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I would think Cashman would be Ok if he was left alone to do his job. There are deals that were more George, and now the sons of George, than Cash.

that still doesn't explain the feeble farm system

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

The Yankees need to win all of their remaining games to have a shot at a wild card berth.  

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, breathe, Hahahahahahahahaha....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'd say the Rangers and Orioles don't do better than 6-6.  I think the Yankees can get in going 9-2, and other than the Rays they do have a favorable schedule.  I doubt it happens, but I don't think they need every game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

The walk out of the woods is about 3-4 years long for NY.  Unless they decide to just go insanely crazy and say "F the luxury tax" and overspend on free agents every offseason.

But the problem with that is not as many elite players are entering free agency, and when they do they are often a few years older than in the past and bare more risk.  Even if they wanted to buy a team it would be much harder, more expensive than it was in the past with the new much more harsh luxury tax.  Also they would constantly lose draft picks, So if their overpaid AARP teams under performed or became injured plagued (reference 2013) they would have a barren farm system to provide depth.

Oh wait....this has already happened.

It doesn't take a decade to rebuild in baseball like it does in basketball, NY's time in the basement could be very short lived but they would have to fully embrace the stink.  They HAVE to get under the cap for a season or two, take the higher draft picks, let free agents walk and take the draft picks, and get these contrats off the books.  There is no reason with their willingess to spend that they can't be a force in the A.L. east again.....but they are going to be pretty horrible (in my opinion) for the next couple years. 

If they live in denial it could be longer than that.   But seriously what Yankee fan in their right mind can rationalize decisions like letting Robinson Cano go right now. 

They would only have to be under the luxury tax next yr. And assuming ARod's suspension holds up, or even cut in half, they would have maneuverabilty next yr. And if they sign Cano, they would probably have a record similar to this yr, if not a little worse IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

slomag, this is the most pro-NYY I've ever seen U.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, breathe, Hahahahahahahahaha....

+1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I have an excel file w/ their payroll

I can email it to you if you want

but

the net net is that if AR is out next year that covers Cano's pay

They still have to cut 50 million

Some guys are coming off payroll

the net there is they will have $30 mil to spend

but they need lots of guys - 3 relievers including a closer, 2 SP's, a 3rd baseman, a catcher, and someone to replace Granderson's 40 HR's....all for 30 million?  Ca$hman is not exactly Dan Duquette or Andrew Freeman here.  You're screwed!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

A slight exaggeration; they have a surplus of relievers and young catchers. Also Cano, if he stays, would likely agree to a back loaded contract. Granderson, not so much. Also, you may want to recheck players coming off the payroll. Otherwise, it looks like a long season in 2014.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

A slight exaggeration; they have a surplus of relievers and young catchers. Also Cano, if he stays, would likely agree to a back loaded contract. Granderson, not so much. Also, you may want to recheck players coming off the payroll. Otherwise, it looks like a long season in 2014.

I have the list of the guys coming off payroll

Backloaded doesn't matter for Luxury Tax - they take the AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY

They are loaded with Catchers?  Who?  Romine?  He's terrible.

And relievers?  Where are they?  There best pitching prospects were Joba Hughes and Kennedy and look at where they are now compared to Lester and Buck?  Until it happens with their pitching, it does not exist.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Also, I want to put Baltimore on a death watch as I recall painfully their knocking us out of the playoffs 2 years ago and it was a World Series for them doing it to us. NY too could not win one game vs Tampa & blew a 7 run lead in the last.

Although the Orioles can't knock us out of a playoff spot or even the inevitable, I believe, division title, I want to put a nail in their playoff coffin and also keep winning so that we have the best record and home field. 

Agree with you about Baltimore and also Tampa Bay.  I don't mind if either team misses the playoffs.  Although, I still believe that Tampa Bay has a good chance. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

And relievers?  Where are they?  There best pitching prospects were Joba Hughes and Kennedy and look at where they are now compared to Lester and Buck?  Until it happens with their pitching, it does not exist.

RP - Robertson, Logan, Kelley, Claiborne, Warren, Phelps

C- Stewart, Cervelli, Romine, Sanchez, Murphy - admittedly a weak bunch, but they don't need any

You talk like they'll lose 90+ games next yr; I doubt it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

RP - Robertson, Logan, Kelley, Claiborne, Warren, Phelps

C- Stewart, Cervelli, Romine, Sanchez, Murphy - admittedly a weak bunch, but they don't need any

You talk like they'll lose 90+ games next yr; I doubt it.

Robertson is a rookie?  Logan is a rookie?  Kelley Claiborne Warren and Phelps are good?

Cervelli is a rookie?  Nope, just another cheater.   But who cares really - that's a really sad lot.

I don't know how many games they will lose but I do know next year will be worse for them.