Obscene.  Boras?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tek-9. Show Tek-9's posts

Re: O Mother of God! Cano !!!!

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Obscene.  Boras?

Hova

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I wonder what this does to Ellsbury's price?

Unfortunately, it'll be out of this world.  So, thank you Ellsbury for your best years...good bye.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

So now players are aspiring to be paid more than a quarter of a billion dollars? If this is the way it's headed be prepared for the first billionaire ballplayer in our lifetime.

ARoids is earned half a billion.......Yes, kids, cheating really does pay - big time!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I'm assuming that's U.S. Dollars.   LOL

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

After A-Roid, Pujols et al, no way Cano gets anything near 300M. In fact, at 31 years old for contract year 1, I think he'll have a hard time finding anything near 200M. His value ends beyond 4 years and 80M, which, frankly, a smart GM would never offer that much. 

Agreed, but here's guessing he gets 5-7 yrs at about 30-35 Mil per season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

After A-Roid, Pujols et al, no way Cano gets anything near 300M. In fact, at 31 years old for contract year 1, I think he'll have a hard time finding anything near 200M. His value ends beyond 4 years and 80M, which, frankly, a smart GM would never offer that much. 

We can speculate all we want to about how much a team can afford to pay a player but AFAIK none of us who post here are privy to any team's balance sheet so we don't really know how much money there is to be made in owning a team.  Should Cano get anywhere near this kind of money it will be a real eye-opener to most fans - not to mention the rest of the MLB players - as to just how much money a team can pay in salaries and continue to turn a profit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I could see $27,500,000 * 7 = $192,500,000 with some incentives to get him to $200,000,000 - like most HR's for a 2b.......

anyone who gives him $305 over 10 will deserve exactly what they get

the fair market would be something like 25 X 5

the best thing about this is the yankees can NOT win here - they lose if they let Cano walk and they lose if they give him the huge long term contract......you see, that's simply the genius of Cashman and why I think he's the best thing to happen to the Red Sox since Pedro Martinez

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Times are changing, smart teams invest in Scouting and development. Using money for the International Market, and signing bonuses. Long term contracts are fading.
    Teams might not look at this Free Agent Class, but next years to see who might be available, to save money.
    Arbitration Process has put it where the best years for Free Agents are behind them, or at least not long term. Teams like Sox proved it this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

they would be better off letting cano walk

let most of their guys walk

take the draft picks

use 2014 as a bridge

2015 FA class is decent (and they will probably go to 250 payroll pending ticket sales which have been DOWN)

JJ Hardy - SS

The Panda - 3B

Kershaw - LHSP

Scherzer - RHSP

The one thing that has changed that hurts the yankees is a lot of teams lock up their guys before they can reach FA....Cashman's policy is to wait......Guys like Longo, King Felix, and The V-Man may never reach FA.   Have I mentioned how much I love Cashman?!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

We can speculate all we want to about how much a team can afford to pay a player but AFAIK none of us who post here are privy to any team's balance sheet so we don't really know how much money there is to be made in owning a team.  Should Cano get anywhere near this kind of money it will be a real eye-opener to most fans - not to mention the rest of the MLB players - as to just how much money a team can pay in salaries and continue to turn a profit. 

It's the entertainment business, but there is a limit to how many entertainers get big contracts when future ratings are dubious. As for balance sheets and profit, nothing stops labor from using their own capital.

Please clarify.  How are you suggesting labor could use their own capital in the realm of professional sports?

They have no case for complaining about how much profit someone else is making.

There was no complaining in my post.  It was only an observation, and one that I stand by.  While I agree that labor has no case for complaining about a company's profits, at the same time a knowledge of the scope of the profits gives labor some bargaining clout.  If Cano gets a contract ~$300M that will be an indication that the team that purchases his services can afford an investment that large, which can't help but spill over into the rest of baseball.

While that will have NO impact on the fans - other than satisfying the curiousity of some - it could have a far-reaching impact on player's salaries in the future as well as player's expectations. 

The Yankee brand will survive Cano's departure. Story lines and winning baseball is where ratings come from.

I agree to a point. Winning baseball is where ratings come from, and the Yankee fan base has become so accustomed to their backing a winning team that I would predict at least a 25% drop-off in team revenues (based on 2012) should the Y's have another season like this one.  And that's not to say that they're a lot different from the Red Sox fan base. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

No way. Not even close.  20-25 mil per,  and that's too much. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The most astounding thing about this is that it was leaked to someone in the Press.....because as Jay Z's Agencies 1st large contract negotiation they are now in a No WIn situation unless they get near that money. If as many here have said Cano gets nearer to a 200MM contract, even if the AAV is 25M+, which would be a record for 2nd baseman, it looks like they failed in getting their player what they wanted and what he was worth!.....I am sure Boras will be playing that up with every other player who is contemplating leaving him or signing with him

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think it's going to be a long, drawn out process

They will stick with their 305 million for months.......Eventually, a team with money who had their Plan A and B fall through may decide to make a splash.......even if it's not for the full 305.........waiting i think will be a good strat for RC

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

That sounds about right.

In your opinion do you think the Yanks will be players at that figure?

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

[QUOTE]

That sounds about right.

In your opinion do you think the Yanks will be players at that figure?

[/QUOTE]

My guess is if it's closer to 5; he'll never get 10 from them. From what I've seen, the majority of NYY fans want him to leave; the most common quote 'He can take his lack of hustle with him'

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The Yankees are now in a rebuilding process, and don't think they are going to go the route of giving 200 or 300M to a 30 year old 2nd baseman with a career .860 OPS. While that might be chart topping for a middle infielder, it's a lousy value. 

I don't think Cashman's a rebuilding type of guy; his forte is signing expensive 40 yr olds that break down; maybe the NYY will toss him