1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Re: OFF Topic - Dennis Rodman, Diplomat

In response to ampoule's comment:

In response to HankukSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Like East and West Germany, only worse?

Yes.  That's exactly how it is viewed.  The cost to catch the north up would be immense.  There would be population shifts to the south, or poor and displaced, that there is not infrastructure to handle.  So yes, if asked that would be exactly how it would be compared.

I should add, about the culture thing.  Know this, I am not an expert, these are just things I have observed over the years (and yes, I do speak passable Korean).  But even a 100% genetically Korean person born and raised, in say, America, Canada, wherever, who speaks Korean, would never been seen as 100% Korean.  There is very much...  How do I put it, almost like the Korean culture of the south is the correct culture, and the only correct one.  It's actually very hard to explain.  Probably best I could compare it is when Irish Americans say they are Irish to a person from Ireland.  But it's still not quite the same.

[/QUOTE]

Again, thank you so much for your imput.

Now the big question.  Would you PLEASE share a good recipe for bulgogi with me???

[/QUOTE]

I would have to dissapoint you on that one.  I just buy bulgogi pre-marinated in the market.  But.......  If you go to any Asian store, they have the sauce.  That's all you need.  Just tell them bulgogi sauce.  Add some carrots, onions, and the thick Asian mushrooms (they have much more sustance when eaten in something like that, and enhance the dish compared to the western cap mushrooms), and that is it.  let it marinate for a while.

If interested in Jjigae, or mondukok or anything like that, I would be glad to share.  Shoot.  I even know how to make mandu (the stuffed dumplings), which is funny because I have ended up teaching Korean women how...  I think 4 times now.  :D

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That is my impression also.  My daughter worked in Seoul for a year and of course never got closer to the North than the DMZ, but her Korean friends there and Korean American friends here value education highly.  I dont think that level of experiece is available to people inthe North without leaving the country.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  And the usual route of escape, if I remember correctly, is north via China....and then south.  The whole thing is incredible.  And yes, the south is concerned that if unification took place, it would mess up everything for them.  Of course, they're not keen on the idea.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Hankuk, I'm embarassed to admit that I'm unfamiliar with those dishes.

I wish I knew more about them, but the small town I live in doesn't even have a Korean restuarant.

There is a sushi place in town run by Koreans.  I'll ask them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Grantid, Rodman is dumb as a stump, & is a classic dupe.

Having said that..... after studying N Korea for quite some time now, he could unwittingly do some good overthere, visa vi, shedding sunlight.   Not withstanding thd recent executions.....  & already noted brutal repressions......

strangely enough, I'm curious.   NOTHING ELSE HAS HELPED, OR IS LIKELY TO HELP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Grantid, Rodman is dumb as a stump, & is a classic dupe.

Having said that..... after studying N Korea for quite some time now, he could unwittingly do some good overthere, visa vi, shedding sunlight.   Not withstanding thd recent executions.....  & already noted brutal repressions......

strangely enough, I'm curious.   NOTHING ELSE HAS HELPED, OR IS LIKELY TO HELP.

[/QUOTE]

Dog buddy, did you read all the posts?  If so, and if you've studied N Korea, I'm sure you realize it's a very complicated scenario.  This being said and understood, Rodman's trip is worthless no matter what political view you take.  He's an embarassment to us and a slap in the face/rejection to the millions of captives in the labor camps ignoring basic human right issues.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Well, we're lucky enough to be geographically born in the best country in the world where people can voice their opinions or travel without fear.  So, it wouldn't surprise me if he hasn't violated anything.  Good point though.  I wonder if it's a violation to go to Cuba?

It hasn't always been the case Amp, which this story from today proves!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/07/us/burglars-who-took-on-fbi-abandon-shadows.html?hp%20.

..perhaps the most damning document from the cache, a 1970 memorandum that offered a glimpse into Hoover’s obsession with snuffing out dissent. The document urged agents to step up their interviews of antiwar activists and members of dissident student groups.

“It will enhance the paranoia endemic in these circles and will further serve to get the point across there is an F.B.I. agent behind every mailbox,” the message from F.B.I. headquarters said. Another document, signed by Hoover himself, revealed widespread F.B.I. surveillance of black student groups on college campuses.

But the document that would have the biggest impact on reining in the F.B.I.’s domestic spying activities was an internal routing slip, dated 1968, bearing a mysterious word: Cointelpro.

Neither the Media burglars nor the reporters who received the documents understood the meaning of the term, and it was not until several years later, when the NBC News reporter Carl Stern obtained more files from the F.B.I. under the Freedom of Information Act, that the contours of Cointelpro — shorthand for Counterintelligence Program — were revealed.

Since 1956, the F.B.I. had carried out an expansive campaign to spy on civil rights leaders, political organizers and suspected Communists, and had tried to sow distrust among protest groups. Among the grim litany of revelations was a blackmail letter F.B.I. agents had sent anonymously to the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., threatening to expose his extramarital affairs if he did not commit suicide.

“It wasn’t just spying on Americans,” said Loch K. Johnson, a professor of public and international affairs at the University of Georgia who was an aide to Senator Frank Church, Democrat of Idaho. “The intent of Cointelpro was to destroy lives and ruin reputations.”

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

The books I've read about the North Korean Death/Labor camps are enough to give anyone nightmares.  But, evidently the learned, liberal professor at Columbia is immune to these atrocities...going on as we speak.

Will Rodman be talking about these human rights violations? Or, just telling us what a great leader he is?

I think it would be a GREAT thing if Rodman stayed there.  Or, was not allowed back.

[/QUOTE] yeah, he's just the model of "diplomacy"...Dennis Rodman, dressed as a bride, poses for photographers at a New York bookstore while promoting his book, "Bad As I Wanna Be," in May 1996. Sealed

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The books I've read about the North Korean Death/Labor camps are enough to give anyone nightmares.  But, evidently the learned, liberal professor at Columbia is immune to these atrocities...going on as we speak.

Will Rodman be talking about these human rights violations? Or, just telling us what a great leader he is?

[/QUOTE]

What a shock

[/QUOTE]

I suppose you think it's a good thing?

[/QUOTE]

Quite frankly I don't know what to think about this; he's definiitely insubordinate with respect to the State Dep't, so from that POV, No.

[/QUOTE]

Seriously, please read about the atrocities over there.  It's absolutely so terrible that it's hard to imagine.

I just went to my Kindle and was going to give you the titles of a few of the books...well, the damned battery is drained...couldn't do it.  But, if you have a Kindle, I strongly suggest reading about it.  And, the books on Kindle are really inexpensive.

If interested, I'll get you the titles when it's alive again.

[/QUOTE]

It may even be some sort of violation of a federal statute, but I'm not a lawyer.

[/QUOTE]

Apparently travel to North Korea is not banned; its just difficult to get a visa. Rodman broke no law. He is a psycho. You cannot punish the mentally ill because they do not even know that they their acts are unacceptable.

Where to Obtain a DPRK Visa: North Korea does not have an embassy in the United States. U.S. citizens and residents planning to travel to North Korea may obtain DPRK visas at the DPRK Embassy in Beijing, China, which will issue visas only upon authorization from the DPRK Foreign Ministry in Pyongyang.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

tom-uk, Absolutely correct.  Hoover was a paranoid psycho.  It's astounding to me that he was in power as long as he was.

jete...Too funny, man!   LOL

Pumpsie, Interesting information.  I'm sure Rodman, in his heart, means no harm.  I'm not convinced he's really psycho though because I wonder if his activity is intentional for publicity/monetary purposes.  What they are? who knows.  Only him and Jung-un know. It's hard to believe that he invested money wisely.  Didn't he file bankruptcy a while back?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Reminds me of when an Ethiopian woman writer (whose name escapes me at the moment) commented that "If Youssou N'Dour went to London and started telling people how to resolve, say, the financial crisis people would say "p1ss off back to Senegal, what does a singer know about economics" but it's perfectly acceptable for white pop singers like Paul Hewitt and Bob Geldof to tell Africa how to resolve poverty and hunger."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

tom-uk, Absolutely correct.  Hoover was a paranoid psycho.  It's astounding to me that he was in power as long as he was.

Pumpsie, Interesting information.  I'm sure Rodman, in his heart, means no harm.  I'm not convinced he's really psycho though because I wonder if his activity is intentional for publicity/monetary purposes.  What they are? who knows.  Only him and Jung-un know. It's hard to believe that he invested money wisely.  Didn't he file bankruptcy a while back?

[/QUOTE]

I vaguely remember hearing about him filing for bankruptcy a while ago. I was kidding a bit about him being mentally ill, but he really is a sandwich or two short of a full picnic. Trying to know what he is thinking is like trying to read a box of scrabble letters. I watched him on Celebrity Apprentice (yeah, I know ?Celebrity Apprentice?) but only when the Sox were not playing. His words, his reasoning (if you want to call it that), and his actions were very unpredictable and eccentric. I do not think he knows that when he goes there he is out of line.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I vaguely remember hearing about him filing for bankruptcy a while ago. I was kidding a bit about him being mentally ill, but he really is a sandwich or two short of a full picnic. Trying to know what he is thinking is like trying to read a box of scrabble letters. I watched him on Celebrity Apprentice (yeah, I know ?Celebrity Apprentice?) but only when the Sox were not playing. His words, his reasoning (if you want to call it that), and his actions were very unpredictable and eccentric. I do not think he knows that when he goes there he is out of line.

[/QUOTE]

I just saw the interview CNN had with him.  The guy asked about brokering for the release of Bae(I think that's his name), the Korean/American being held by the north.  Rodman went totally off!!  totally irrational.  It was almost scary watching him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I just saw the interview CNN had with him.  The guy asked about brokering for the release of Bae(I think that's his name), the Korean/American being held by the north.  Rodman went totally off!!  totally irrational.  It was almost scary watching him.

[/QUOTE]

Amp,

Just saw the clip.   YIKES!   Is it too late to change my last post?  The poor guy is truly sick.  

He was doing so much better whe I last saw him on The Celebrity Apprentice.  ;)

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Amp,

Just saw the clip.   YIKES!   Is it too late to change my last post?  The poor guy is truly sick.  

He was doing so much better whe I last saw him on The Celebrity Apprentice.  ;)

[/QUOTE]

Yep...a real nut job.  I'd start him at about 400mg quetiapine...not really, but he does need to be on something.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Never watched the Celebrity apprentice. Is that on the Disney Channel? I watch CNN all day long however

[/QUOTE]

Good on ya!  You must be very uniquely informed.

i have this radical, somewhat liberal idea of watching, reading, & listening to via broad variety of news & info outlets ranging from, CNN to MSNBC to FOX to PBS to The NYT to the WSJ to Drudge to HUFPO to Politico TO.......  I could go on pall night, but I've already lost you.  Strangely enough, my view go from con to lib on almost any particular issue.

Perhaps you should stick to Disney & CNN exclusively.  I fear the alternative would be just too much for you.

;)

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Actually I have CNN, MSNBC, and PBS on as background noise. Can't stand FOX. Never listen to talk radio since it is 95 percent ultra-conservative and that is too one-sided.

Never listen to sports talk radio neither. Our grandparents enjoyed sports as much as we do and they never had to listen to debate about their favorite teams and the perfect lineup 24/7. Lucky them. They just rooted for the team that was dealt to them and bought the Sporting News on Sunday mornings on their way home from church. Less was more for them. 

[/QUOTE]

Oh,  then since you're so new, we do kind of keep up to date on the whole debating of all thing Red Sox around here, so you will likely want to look elsewhere for something more simple that you can follow.  Something that is less debate oriented.  I don'hit think you'll like it much around here.  Take care!  & good luck finding something more to your liking.

:).  Glad to save you needless time & aggravation

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Refer to http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/local-schedule/

This FRONTLINE program looks promising

Tuesday, January 14  —  10:00pm   13.1 - WQED-TV Secret State of North Korea Life inside North Korea is documented. Included: footage smuggled from inside the dictatorial state; insights from recent defectors who are now living in South Korea. DURATION:  60 MIN DETAILS:  [HD] | [CC] [STEREO] [ED TAPING RIGHTS: 1 YEAR] GENRE:  PARENTS PICKS

This week they had a compelling program about insider trading corruption; unfortunately they're the elite.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]

Tuesday, January 14  —  10:00pm   13.1 - WQED-TV Secret State of North Korea Life inside North Korea is documented. Included: footage smuggled from inside the dictatorial state; insights from recent defectors who are now living in South Korea. DURATION:  60 MIN DETAILS:  [HD] | [CC] [STEREO] [ED TAPING RIGHTS: 1 YEAR] GENRE:  PARENTS PICKS

This week they had a compelling program about insider trading corruption; unfortunately they're the elite.

[/QUOTE]

Hey...thanks for the info

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey...thanks for the info

[/QUOTE]

Sure

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

OFF Topic - Dennis Rodman, Idiot

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OFF Topic - Dennis Rodman, Idiot

[/QUOTE]

If you think about it, it kind of shows just how dumbed down we have become. That we would pay one bit of attention to this fool, whose only skill was rebounding a missed shot. Rodman is not worthy of all this attention. My guess is that him and his deadbeat, broke NBA buddies are being paid by the North Korean president to help humanize him. A sorry state of affairs. Let's not waste any more of our time discussing this moron. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

As is obvious most powerful people in a communist country do not live in the same manor to which they force the average citizen to live.

Here in Cambodia it is a democracy and every single politician blatantly displays their wealth, to which every single one of them made from corruption, taking the land of the poor, or even murder. That is not up for debate either, it is a set-in-stone FACT!