Ok..Name pick 7....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Ok..Name pick 7....

My pick

Sean Manaea. 

6' 5" lhp Indiana st 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Ok..Name pick 7....

Austin Meadows.  Although I think the Sox take Khol Stewart if he's there.  Honorable mention goes to Clint Frazier. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130530/mlb-mock-draft-2-0-kris-bryant-jonathan-gray-mark-appel-dave-perkin/

i'm hoping this....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sox should pick a position player for the first pick, not a SP.  I say Austin Meadows or Colin Moran.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

Moran would be a very interesting pick. If the RS think Iggy is the long term solution at SS ( which I do ) that would open up thepossibility of including Boggie and Cecchini along with say Webster in a deal for Stanton. Moran they say is pretty close to MLB ready so Midds can keep the seat warm for him and then either move to 1st or also be traded. A 2015 line up of Stanton, Midds, Pedey, JBJ,Moran,and maybe Brian McCann catching....hmmmmmm. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

Moran would be a very interesting pick. If the RS think Iggy is the long term solution at SS ( which I do ) that would open up thepossibility of including Boggie and Cecchini along with say Webster in a deal for Stanton. Moran they say is pretty close to MLB ready so Midds can keep the seat warm for him and then either move to 1st or also be traded. A 2015 line up of Stanton, Midds, Pedey, JBJ,Moran,and maybe Brian McCann catching....hmmmmmm. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying I wouldn't trade for Stanton, but supposedly MLB ready prospects who go in the first round go bust VERY often.  I don't think we should make trades and start planning around players who aren't even in our system yet. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to raider3524's comment:

[QUOTE]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130530/mlb-mock-draft-2-0-kris-bryant-jonathan-gray-mark-appel-dave-perkin/

i'm hoping this....

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying I wouldn't trade for Stanton, but supposedly MLB ready prospects who go in the first round go bust VERY often.  I don't think we should make trades and start planning around players who aren't even in our system yet. 

[/QUOTE]

True....but remember...we would still have Midds

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[/QUOTE]

Hehe, while you're dreaming, you may as well dream well!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Historically, which kind of draft pick future performances are harder to predict: Position players or pitchers?

And: How do you deal with the "signability" issue for this year?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

My pick

Sean Manaea. 

6' 5" lhp Indiana st 

Perhaps the best lefthander to come out of Indiana State since Zane Smith, who won 100 games (and lost 115) in 13 MLB seasons, including the 1995 season with the Red Sox:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/smithza01.shtml

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

Historically, which kind of draft pick future performances are harder to predict: Position players or pitchers?

And: How do you deal with the "signability" issue for this year?

Hitters, by far.

They deal with the signability issues the same way teams did last year.  Sign a few guys for below slot and/or draft more college seniors who have less leverage and sign playersrafter the 5th round for as little below 100,000 as you can.  Then you spread the money around.

A lot of people didn't like that last year because of some of the performances last year.  The reality is thouugh, compared to othersteams we did decent in the draft last year.  Last year was considered a very weak draft, much like this year.

This draft is weak, and I have a feeling next year may be too....we are seeing and adjustment period to the new CBA.  Less high school talent is coming into the draft, and more signability kids are going to college or playing other sports.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Sox should pick a position player for the first pick, not a SP.  I say Austin Meadows or Colin Moran.

Agreed.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I like Austin Meadows but I'm going to continue to beat my anti Moran drum.

I won't be over dissapointed with the Moran pick.  He is considered a sure top 10 draft pick, and he is also considered the most likely to become a major league regular.  But he has the lowest ceiling of any of those guys.

I guess there really isn't a right or wrong answer here.  I mean if we picked a kid who was ranked 459th with the 7th pick that would obviously be a bonehead move but all things considered this is subjective and all a matter of opinion.

The Sox Farm system is the deepest it has been in a while and is very top heavy.  If we draft a guy who doesn't pan out with our first pick this year, it's not going to handicap this team.  We have a wave of talent in the upper minors right now. I'd like to see us start to feed that next wave below that.  

To me Guys like Frazier/Stewart/Meadows have the tools to be all-stars at the MLB level.  Frazier has the kind of bat speed you don't get every year in the draft,  he's pretty much a less polished Byrce Harper (bat speed and power comparision) You can teach a guy to play baseball but you can't teach him to be a better athlete.  Just like you can teach a kid to play basketball but you can't teach someone to dunk.  No matter how hard you practice, no matter how hard you try you can just NEVER do something like that if you don't have the genes to do it.

The Sox have a chance to draft a kid who has legitimate MVP'ish tools.  Doesn't mean he will grow into that, but you don't get that chance when you pick at 25 (ok Mike Trout's happen here and there but that is insanely rare) to draft that kind of talent.  When will the Sox get another chance like this? maybe in 2-3 years maybe not for another 20 years.  I say go for the HIGH ceiling player.  

The stats on highschool players going bust is high, but it's much much lower in the top 10 of the Draft.  From everything I have heard from all the industry insiders is that the Sox absolutely loathe Kohl Stewart.  That is there pick if he falls to #7.  Although it is widely believed he will be drafted #4 by the twins but most feel Clevelland and Miami would pass on him because the Indians love college players and are said to really like Moran and SHipley and Miami is just horrible at baseball and hates spending money.

If Stewart doesn't get picked by #4 that's our draftee.  If he does Then very likely Frazier/Meadows/Moran/Ball/Shipley will still all be on the board.

I would be willing to bet my house, and my Fiancee (although I'd retreive Liam Neeson style if I lost this bet) that at least 1 of those 5 is going to be our pick.  Although the more I think about it the more I think I like Meadows over Frazier.  Frazier is going to hit homeruns, but he might have a lot of swing in miss and could up like a Mark Reynolds if the hit tool doesn't develop.  Meadows doesn't have the same bat speed, but he has above average bat speed, 5-tools, more speed, and while the present power isn't as good if his hit tool develops he can still be a 30 HR guy who projects to stay in Center.......ummm yeah!!!!

The Sox will draft one of (in order of likelyhood): Meadows/Frazier/Stewart/Shipley/Ball

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'm wondering how far Jonathon Gray will fall because of his positive test for Adderall.It could very well shake up the choices for Boston at 7th.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/draft/2013/story/_/id/9338983/top-draft-prospect-jonathan-gray-had-positive-test-adderall

Jonathan Gray, the University of Oklahoma pitcher and No. 2 prospect heading into this year's MLB Rule 4 draft, tested positive for the medication Adderall during baseball's predraft drug testing program, according to multiple sources familiar with the details of Gray's test.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I don't think he will fall.

If anything it just lowers his value ensuring he goes #1 and not Appel

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

My pick

Sean Manaea. 

6' 5" lhp Indiana st 

Name seventh pick?  Iwould name him  ( LUCKY SEVEN ) Would that work?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm really starting to think It's going to be one of Frazier/Meadows.  The Sox would take Stewart over all if he fell....but he won't.

I was listening to soxprospects podcast, and I guess a scout in their system had scouted Frazier, was a greenville hitting instructor and is Austin Meadows private hitting coach.

They are ranked high enough to go #7 and the connection is there.  Kinda weird that two kids who practically live in the same town might go within a few picks of each other in the top 10 of the MLB draft. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

If Stewart doesn't get picked by #4 that's our draftee.

Why? Why would Cleveland and Miami pass on him if he is so good?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It has been widely discussed that Cleveland likes the college guys and are in love with Shipley and Moran.  Miami is cheap, that's not news....they are going to try to save money.  Another thing to consider is a lot of these teams are more used to picking earlier while the sox get a once in a lifetime opportunity.  If the sox draft a bust, they still have one of the stronger farm systems, if they hit big with a high ceiling guy who becomes a franchise player (#7 picJana's been saturated with them) them the whole Sox organization can really take a big step forward for a decade.  

So the way I see it he high ceiling guys are much more important to the Sox, while team like Houston and Miami will try to save money.  Cleveland is likely o go college.  I think Frazier goes to Minnesota though....I think we take Frazier or Meadows.  I've been saying Frazier, but I almost want to switch to Meadows now.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'll go with Stewart.  He's not good enough to join the top-3, so he won't be a must-draft for anyone.  If Houston is looking to draft down and save money for later, they won't take the big-3 or Stewart.  So 3 other teams in fornt of us will take the big-3.  That leaves us two competitors for his services, but a substantial signability issue.  I think he'll fall, and the RS are in a position where they can gamble that he won't sign and the pick carries over to next season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

It has been widely discussed that Cleveland likes the college guys and are in love with Shipley and Moran.  Miami is cheap, that's not news....they are going to try to save money.  Another thing to consider is a lot of these teams are more used to picking earlier while the sox get a once in a lifetime opportunity.  If the sox draft a bust, they still have one of the stronger farm systems, if they hit big with a high ceiling guy who becomes a franchise player (#7 picJana's been saturated with them) them the whole Sox organization can really take a big step forward for a decade.  

So the way I see it he high ceiling guys are much more important to the Sox, while team like Houston and Miami will try to save money.  Cleveland is likely o go college.  I think Frazier goes to Minnesota though....I think we take Frazier or Meadows.  I've been saying Frazier, but I almost want to switch to Meadows now.  

My points are directed as much at the experts as they are to you, so hope you are not taking my disagreements personal, since this is one of my favorite topics and you are talking about it more then anybody, so the discussion ends up being with you.

Lets start with the rumors of who likes who. I believe 80% of it is pure garbage made up by writers. I don't believe every organisation is leaking who they like to these "experts". What good does that do to Cleveland to leak out who they love?

Second is the idea Cleveland will not take a high school player. Not buying it. Maybe they lean college and have a history of college picks. But if the clear cut 4th guy is sitting there, I highly doubt they pass on him to take the 6th best player because he is from college. If they would, the boss should be fired.

Finally on Miami and saving money. Simple question, did any team last year leave overall slot money on the table? Did any team not spend their full alotment? My guess is that they ALL spent their money. I did a quick glance from the signings last year and my quick glance says  everybody spent their money. Nobody "saved" money. Miami spent 100 grand over their slots in their first 3 picks for example. The value of these picks and this slot money is too great to not use and let disapear.

If Miami or any other team goes under slot with their first pick, it will be for the purpose of spending it later. That is strategy, not cheapness. If Stewart is the 4th best player and he is there at 6, Miami will take him unless Stewart tells them not too. Getting a 4.5 million dollar player for 3.5 million slot is crazy to pass up. If Stewart says it will take over slot to sign him, they might pass. But then wouldn't the Red Sox pass aswell. Do we want to pay over slot for Stewart? How much? Is he worth killing all our 5% surplus and all our 5-10 pick money on? Especially if we could get Frasier or Meadows for slot? You do it if you believe he is the 4th best player and worth what he is asking for. But Miami would think the same way and would have to eat into their surplus less.

Of course Miami and Cleveland might not think he is the 4th-5th best player. We don't know. But we also don't know that the Red Sox think that either. Think that is what I am trying to say.

With all that said and done, its almost time to open the presents. Hopefully that big ugly 6-3 package poorly wrapped in the corner isn't a Stanek. I told mom I didn't want a stupid Stanek.Wink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

[QUOTE]

My points are directed as much at the experts as they are to you, so hope you are not taking my disagreements personal, since this is one of my favorite topics and you are talking about it more then anybody, so the discussion ends up being with you.

Lets start with the rumors of who likes who. I believe 80% of it is pure garbage made up by writers. I don't believe every organisation is leaking who they like to these "experts". What good does that do to Cleveland to leak out who they love?

Second is the idea Cleveland will not take a high school player. Not buying it. Maybe they lean college and have a history of college picks. But if the clear cut 4th guy is sitting there, I highly doubt they pass on him to take the 6th best player because he is from college. If they would, the boss should be fired.

Finally on Miami and saving money. Simple question, did any team last year leave overall slot money on the table? Did any team not spend their full alotment? My guess is that they ALL spent their money. I did a quick glance from the signings last year and my quick glance says  everybody spent their money. Nobody "saved" money. Miami spent 100 grand over their slots in their first 3 picks for example. The value of these picks and this slot money is too great to not use and let disapear.

If Miami or any other team goes under slot with their first pick, it will be for the purpose of spending it later. That is strategy, not cheapness. If Stewart is the 4th best player and he is there at 6, Miami will take him unless Stewart tells them not too. Getting a 4.5 million dollar player for 3.5 million slot is crazy to pass up. If Stewart says it will take over slot to sign him, they might pass. But then wouldn't the Red Sox pass aswell. Do we want to pay over slot for Stewart? How much? Is he worth killing all our 5% surplus and all our 5-10 pick money on? Especially if we could get Frasier or Meadows for slot? You do it if you believe he is the 4th best player and worth what he is asking for. But Miami would think the same way and would have to eat into their surplus less.

Of course Miami and Cleveland might not think he is the 4th-5th best player. We don't know. But we also don't know that the Red Sox think that either. Think that is what I am trying to say.

With all that said and done, its almost time to open the presents. Hopefully that big ugly 6-3 package poorly wrapped in the corner isn't a Stanek. I told mom I didn't want a stupid Stanek.Wink

[/QUOTE]

That's what I meant....they spend under slot tospread the money around.  I'm not suggesting they don't spend all of their bonus.  I wouldn't say 80% of the hype is pure garbage.  Peopnow know who is scouting who, who is talking to who etc etc.  the people at BA, Soxprospects, minorleagball, perfect game, Espn, Alex spier, Keith law, jim Cali'sgenerally know what they are talking about.  They aren't just pulling this stuff out of their behinds.  Thing is is a certain team is linked to 5 different players then people who read information on the other 4 will feel like they were misinformed.

For what it's worth I'm a very close follower over at soxprospects, and they do a lot of predraft coverage every year and have been very very good at predicting pics.

If you go back and listen to their podcasts the last couple years, they have discussed and predicted most of the Sox recent picks.  

If that is any indication of who the sox pick then the most likely picks are

stewart Frazier meadows.

If you don't believe me go to their site and listen.  They were talking about how in love the soxwere with Matt Barnes, Swihart, Owens, Brentz, before those draft picks.  They seem to be spot on.  I'd take Cali's words over Laws though