options at first base

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: options at first base

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There's also Morneau and K Morales as possible trade targets.

[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that Belt might be accessible.  Since SF is concerned about signing Pagan, I was wondering if they'd be interested in one year of Ellsbury, plus his draft comp, in exchange for Belt.

[/QUOTE]

SF has said that hes not being traded.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would not sign Swisher for 3/11, and not becuase I do not think he is worth that amount of salary.  I would not want to give up the draft pick. 

I know for the Sox that would only be a second round pick, but a second round pick for the Sox might be only the 40th or so pick in the draft overall.  The actual number is TBD.  The new rules make a second round pick much more valuabe than in the past. 

Last season there were 29 compensation picks between round 1 and round 2.  If I understand the new rules correctly, this season there will be a maximum of 8.  In addition to that, if all 8 of the free agents who were offered qualifying deals are signed by other teams, there will be up to 8 fewer picks in the first round (since signing teams have to give up a 1st round draft pick unless they are in the top 10 slots), meaning that the second round could start with the 32nd player selected overall.  Beyond that, I am unclear as to how it goes since I do not know how the "Competitive Balance Lottery round" goes.  But however that works, it seems reasonable to conjecture that the Sox would be picking somewhere near the 40th overall player with that second pick.  So signing Swisher or LaRoche means paying their salary and giving up the 40th (or so) best player available in the first-year player draft.

This makes me think that Napoli is a better target.  But that also begs this question:  Who will have a better year at the plate, Napoli or Youkilis?  Youkilis is the much better glove.  And Youk, even with his reduced production, has good OBP skills like Napoli, and good RH power, as Napoli has.  All other things being equal, contract-wise, would Youk provide more value for the money, or Napoli?  I kind of think it will be Youk.

[/QUOTE]

Since we don't have a first baseman worth a da#n in the minors why not try for a long r ange view and go for a trade for Ike Davis of the Mets.  We know the Mets want Lucas Duda to play that position since that is his natural spot and he is one of their untouchables.  We have what the Mets want---catchers.  We could fashion a trade I believe.  I just wonder if Cherington is even thinking along those lines, or even thinking at all.  Again, I have little use for the guy but am willing to issue a Mea Culp if he actually shows he has something between his ears this winter and get us the reinforcements we need.

[/QUOTE]

Now that Ben has made a good move in acquiring David Ross, there is a good possibility that a trade with the Mets could happen involving one of our catchers. Since they are in need of one we could start conversations for Ike davis or John Niese.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I would not sign Swisher for 3/11, and not becuase I do not think he is worth that amount of salary.  I would not want to give up the draft pick. 

I know for the Sox that would only be a second round pick, but a second round pick for the Sox might be only the 40th or so pick in the draft overall.  The actual number is TBD.  The new rules make a second round pick much more valuabe than in the past. 

Last season there were 29 compensation picks between round 1 and round 2.  If I understand the new rules correctly, this season there will be a maximum of 8.  In addition to that, if all 8 of the free agents who were offered qualifying deals are signed by other teams, there will be up to 8 fewer picks in the first round (since signing teams have to give up a 1st round draft pick unless they are in the top 10 slots), meaning that the second round could start with the 32nd player selected overall.  Beyond that, I am unclear as to how it goes since I do not know how the "Competitive Balance Lottery round" goes.  But however that works, it seems reasonable to conjecture that the Sox would be picking somewhere near the 40th overall player with that second pick.  So signing Swisher or LaRoche means paying their salary and giving up the 40th (or so) best player available in the first-year player draft.

This makes me think that Napoli is a better target.  But that also begs this question:  Who will have a better year at the plate, Napoli or Youkilis?  Youkilis is the much better glove.  And Youk, even with his reduced production, has good OBP skills like Napoli, and good RH power, as Napoli has.  All other things being equal, contract-wise, would Youk provide more value for the money, or Napoli?  I kind of think it will be Youk.

[/QUOTE]

Since we don't have a first baseman worth a da#n in the minors why not try for a long r ange view and go for a trade for Ike Davis of the Mets.  We know the Mets want Lucas Duda to play that position since that is his natural spot and he is one of their untouchables.  We have what the Mets want---catchers.  We could fashion a trade I believe.  I just wonder if Cherington is even thinking along those lines, or even thinking at all.  Again, I have little use for the guy but am willing to issue a Mea Culp if he actually shows he has something between his ears this winter and get us the reinforcements we need.

[/QUOTE]

Now that Ben has made a good move in acquiring David Ross, there is a good possibility that a trade with the Mets could happen involving one of our catchers. Since they are in need of one we could start conversations for Ike davis or John Niese.

[/QUOTE]

or we could get prospects from them to flip to AZ for J upton or PG

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that Belt might be accessible.  Since SF is concerned about signing Pagan, I was wondering if they'd be interested in one year of Ellsbury, plus his draft comp, in exchange for Belt.

[/QUOTE]

Belt has upside and if this team were truly going to take it easy for 2013 and wait for 2014 to buy some stars then I would say yes. However I fear the FO thinks we insist on winning the WS every year and thus they will sign a couple of half wit former stars trying to make it the play-offs now.

I just as soon play rookies, acquire players like Belt, and plan on 2014 for the teams return to the play-offs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Kendry M. took until July to even hit a homer.... (slight exageration) but still ended up with 22 dingers. He may be a great player to target.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kendry M. took until July to even hit a homer.... (slight exageration) but still ended up with 22 dingers. He may be a great player to target.

[/QUOTE]

We are going to have to take some chances, and KM is a nice gamble. He kind of reminds me of Papi with the Twins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Yes except the Morales had a big season already (2010)... he showed he is quite capable of putting a 40 doubles, 25 homer, 90 ribbie, good .obp season together.

I am too lazy to look but I think 16 of his homers must have come in the second half last year, he was terribly slow out of the gate after missing all of 2011.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Belt has upside and if this team were truly going to take it easy for 2013 and wait for 2014 to buy some stars then I would say yes. However I fear the FO thinks we insist on winning the WS every year and thus they will sign a couple of half wit former stars trying to make it the play-offs now.

I just as soon play rookies, acquire players like Belt, and plan on 2014 for the teams return to the play-offs.

[/QUOTE]

It would have to be players like Belt because SF has said hes not available. Although that could just be posturing, Im not sure it would be smart for them to let Belt go in a trade with as much upside as he has.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Okay got the Splits, second half of 2012 (keep in mind he is only 29 years old):

15 doubles, 14 homers, 40 ribbies, .313 OBP, 120 Total Bases.

He still missed nearly 20 games but I suppose management rested him often sue to the previous injury?

Anyhow, if he could be had without any long commitment he is worthy. Of course if he performs well we all know the team can afford to re-sign its best stars.  The Angles may simply not have room for him and maybe a single prospect or say Daniel Bard straight up?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

His name (Belt) is definitely in the rumor mill.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

softlaw I may not have given it much thought but someone has to play first-base. I don't think the teams has anyone from within who can take up that position do they? At least Iggy is a defensive phenomena .... who do we have that can play first and offer something to the overall team?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

His name (Belt) is definitely in the rumor mill.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Ive heard/read his name as well. Also read SF GM saying he wasnt going to trade him. But we all know that might not be true. I was just letting you know what Ive read about that possibility.

Personally, if we could snag Belt I wouldnt hesitate to do so...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

softlaw I may not have given it much thought but someone has to play first-base. I don't think the teams has anyone from within who can take up that position do they? At least Iggy is a defensive phenomena .... who do we have that can play first and offer something to the overall team?

[/QUOTE]

Nobody thats ready or worth giving the starting spot to.

Sands, Gomez and Shaw is still a couple years away.

Unless we convert someone like Bogaerts or Cecchini, but even that wouldnt work for 2013.

Names that are possibilities...

Ike Davis, Kendry Morales, Justin Morneau, Adam Laroche, Youk, Brian LaHair, Mike Napoli, Brandon Belt (maybe, but would cost a ton), Billy Butler, Casey Kotchman, Carlos pena, Carlos Lee, James loney, and aubrey huff...Im sure theres a few more. this is just a few names off the top of my head that are possibilities for 1b.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

theres NO WAY we could have dumped CC and beckett seperately without eating most if not all of their contract. giveing up a-gon sucked but we payed virtaully none of their remaining contract and got prospects from the deal. great trade overall

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I want my AGon back!!!! But indeed he was the steep price that had to be paid to rid the team of the other two (the highly paid and unproductive two).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you just had to show me up.... didn't ya?

[/QUOTE]

That's pike at his finest. Ever ready with the link to the prefab opinion but no baseball opinions of his own. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Huh? I guess you've never heard of Travis Shaw or Michael Almanzar. Not surprising since your grasp of Red Sox baseball seems to be limited to factoids you can use to bash Ben C with.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Honestly we may have to lower our expectations at 1B for a few years.  We will find someone, it may even come from within, if we get a big bat that can't play his position.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

theres NO WAY we could have dumped CC and beckett seperately without eating most if not all of their contract. giveing up a-gon sucked but we payed virtaully none of their remaining contract and got prospects from the deal. great trade overall

[/QUOTE]

No kidding.  Trotter's position on this is totally unique and totally absurd.

22. This post has been removed.