Ortiz looking for 2 years

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Ortiz looking for 2 years

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2 years, 26 million.  A slight decrease in pay, similar to Jeter's last deal.

[/QUOTE]

THIS.  100%.

THE DAY THE RED SOX SAVED A QUARTER BILLION DOLLARS IS THE DAY THEY SHOULD HAVE SIGNED PAPI TO 2 YEAR DEAL.  why do we have to bargain shop for DH?  our payroll is slashed.  they will not spend it on another position.  it is ridiculous that this hasnt been settled yet.  David is right for calling it "disgusting".  this man has earned it and continues to.  FO should have put a 2 year contract in front of Papi and told him to fill in the $ amount and sign it.  WHY DO THE BOSTON RED SOX NEED TO COST CUT FOR DH POSITION? 
    ridiculous.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Eff flupper!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

There is no doubt that Papi has done an awful lot of tremendous hitting for the Red Sox and was once the face of the franchise by helping us win two World Series.  However, let's try to be a little realistic about this for a change.  The guy is going to be 37 very soon, has a bad achilles tendon, has had troubles with his wrist and shoulders, and the going rate for DH's has been plummeting since most teams employ a semi-regular or rotate one of their better players to DH for them.

We should offer him a one year contract with a mutual player-club option.  If he performs well, he gets the option, if not, he doesn't.  All this talk of we have to give this or that because of what he has meant to the team is miserable business sense and it doesn't help the win in the long run.  The Red Sox have been guilty as h@ll with this auld lang syne  garbage.  We saw it with their keeping Varitek and Wakefield around two or three years too long with disastrous results.  Offer him a one and one and if he doesn't want to take it let him look elsewhere.  He might find the market for an expensive DH is drying up faster than the Sahara Desert.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

There is no doubt that Papi has done an awful lot of tremendous hitting for the Red Sox and was once the face of the franchise by helping us win two World Series.  However, let's try to be a little realistic about this for a change.  The guy is going to be 37 very soon, has a bad achilles tendon, has had troubles with his wrist and shoulders, and the going rate for DH's has been plummeting since most teams employ a semi-regular or rotate one of their better players to DH for them.

We should offer him a one year contract with a mutual player-club option.  If he performs well, he gets the option, if not, he doesn't.  All this talk of we have to give this or that because of what he has meant to the team is miserable business sense and it doesn't help the win in the long run.  The Red Sox have been guilty as h@ll with this auld lang syne  garbage.  We saw it with their keeping Varitek and Wakefield around two or three years too long with disastrous results.  Offer him a one and one and if he doesn't want to take it let him look elsewhere.  He might find the market for an expensive DH is drying up faster than the Sahara Desert.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They have to give Ortiz the 2 years.If they lose him to free angency,the front office would take a HUGE public relations hit.People would hate them for letting Ortiz go especially with the salary they dumped.

Besides that,he's the best hitter the Red Sox have.He's leading the team in Average,Slugging and OBP.He's just recently been tied for the HR lead by Saltalamacchia.

If anyone deserves to be overpaid,Ortiz has earned that right for a 2 year deal.He may only be good for a couple of months,but it's possible he can be good for another 2 years too.

[/QUOTE]

If he can be good for another couple of years, let him prove it. I would not give him more than one year with a club option for a second year. If he produces he gets, in effect, a second year. The burden of proof will be on him.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

2 yrs @ $11M each + incentives on games played ($1M if Ortiz plays more than 140 games something like that) and 3rd year team option at $9M. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Who cares if theres a 2 year market for him on another team. The Sox can afford, and should offer him 2yrs around 24mm...He means more to this team and city, from a player and a business standpoint, than any other team..

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wrong. There is no market for 24M guaranteed. Assuming he passes the medical records scrutiny, offering him 1 year and 12M and a mutual option and team buyout of 2M will mean he will sign with the Red Sox because he'd take a huge pay cut if he signed elsewhere.

You must have teken the Cherry and Inepstein GM for Dummies course, bidding against yourself where you see a Coke for a dollar but you offer 2 dollars.

[/QUOTE]

You've suggested so many different offers over the past year that you are bound to get one of them right.

Then you will brag about it for years.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

No kidding.  That's why I ignore B.S. comments like that. Ortiz has more to lose and nothing to gain. He was on pace for more than 35 home runs and even 40 with one hot streak to go along with 115-plus RBIs and a top three -- maybe top -- OPS.  Missing out on those numbers is costing him money.  royf19

"on pace" ???  What does that really mean. If s player played one game and hit a homer you could say he was on pace for 162 home-runs.

"on pace" ? lol. Did he hit 35 homers?  When was the last time he hit 35 homers?  115 ribbies? Really? I haven't see those numbers on his stat sheet in a long long time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

2007 was the very last time Ortiz hit 35/115.... 2007 !!!! that was 5 years ago!  Roy likes to pay a player for "was on pace" numbers rather than the actual numbers

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good interview with Big Papi from WEEI.com including this paragraph

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/rob-bradford/2012/09/12/how-david-ortiz-wants-help-fix-red-sox

"The thing is when people talk about me signing a multi-year contract, they make it seem like I'm asking for a four- or five-year deal. A guy like me isn't going to be looking for more than two years in the market. I know I'm going to be 37 years old and the only reason I might be asking for whatever I'm asking for is because I'm in good shape to provide something the next couple of years. The reality is my problem is not what I want or what I need, my problem is what I want to be by this time next year -- If I [will] be looking forward to going to the playoffs, or if we're going to be in the situation we are right now, which is disgusting. I like to win. I like the atmosphere around here when we are winning. I like the feeling of preparation going to the playoffs. I haven't lost that taste. The taste of that has not been there. I got used to that."

[/QUOTE]  37 GOING ON 43 ....... WITH A BAD HEEL !!     Please spare me/us  !!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wrong. There is no market for 24M guaranteed. Assuming he passes the medical records scrutiny, offering him 1 year and 12M and a mutual option and team buyout of 2M will mean he will sign with the Red Sox because he'd take a huge pay cut if he signed elsewhere.

You must have teken the Cherry and Inepstein GM for Dummies course, bidding against yourself where you see a Coke for a dollar but you offer 2 dollars.

[/QUOTE]

read my post again and pay attention this time... I said who cares if theres not a 2yr market on him. He means more to this team and city than any other place...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

since 2004 Papi has played in 140+ games a year, over 150 games 4 of them except for 2 of them....When he got hit on the wrist with a pitch and this year. hes been durable his whole career. 28, 32, 29...Those are his HR totals the last 3 years. 99, 102, 96 are his RBI...Id take that for 12mm per and 2 years...

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

There is in Boston...I dont care about the other 29 teams...Understand now? Your not evena Sox fan so what do you care...Your wrong, so just sit there in all your wrongness and be wrong..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

2 years isnt going to kill the team...but hes not worth the money at this point in his career

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

@ trotter - how much are the sox paying cook this year?  i would take wakey-wakey @ 2MM over that everyday 5th day of the week everytime.....

how about you?