Ortiz looking for 2 years

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Re: Ortiz looking for 2 years

Ortiz is worth every penny that he asks for.  The Red Sox owe him.  I'd love to have a team full of guys like Ortiz.  He knows what his worth is and he isn't going to be an idiot about it like some would.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ortiz is worth every penny that he asks for.  The Red Sox owe him.  I'd love to have a team full of guys like Ortiz.  He knows what his worth is and he isn't going to be an idiot about it like some would.

[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox owe him? Thats not the way the business works. No team owes a player anything other than to fulfill their half of the contract between them. I don't see him being worth much more than $12 for one year with a team option for a second year. Why should the Red Sox assume the risk of a drop in production, which could occur at any time given his age? Hey-hey has done a lot for the franchise. But they owe him nothing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I would like to see Ortiz finish his career with the Sox. I would prefer a one year deal with an option year.  There has to be some concern about his health and durability at this point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

But we are talking peanuts for Ortiz to keep him happy as compared to the hundreds of millions they pissed away on some guys they just unloaded.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]

But we are talking peanuts for Ortiz to keep him happy as compared to the hundreds of millions they pissed away on some guys they just unloaded.

[/QUOTE]

We have a BINGO !!! You're exactly right.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What we owe Papi is a big thank you for those two World Series Titles he helped our team win, but owe him future considerations we don't.  This is a business the Red Sox are in and if we use the Yankees as an example when it was time for Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neill, Posada and Williams to hit the trail they were shown the door.  Keep in mind that Ortiz is going to be 37 this fall, has health issues with his wrist, shoulder and now with his achilles tendon.  I would offer him a one year contract with a team option and if he doesn't like it he can see if he can do better somewhere else.  No one is going to pay $12-14 million for a DH who can no longer play any kind of defense worthy of the name.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What we owe Papi is a big thank you for those two World Series Titles he helped our team win, but owe him future considerations we don't.  This is a business the Red Sox are in and if we use the Yankees as an example when it was time for Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neill, Posada and Williams to hit the trail they were shown the door.  Keep in mind that Ortiz is going to be 37 this fall, has health issues with his wrist, shoulder and now with his achilles tendon.  I would offer him a one year contract with a team option and if he doesn't like it he can see if he can do better somewhere else.  No one is going to pay $12-14 million for a DH who can no longer play any kind of defense worthy of the name.

[/QUOTE]

this makes too much sense SBF...youre spposed to say things like "2004" and "We love Big papi"....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

What great PR it would be to insult the player who was leading the Sox in nearly every offensive catergory before he was hurt. The press would have a GREAT time lambasting the FO if Ortiz signed with another team.All because the of the Sox cheaping out and not offering a second year he rightly deserves.If I were Ortiz,a 1 year deal would be insulting.Especially after the HUGE salary dump this season.

Have fun replacing his HRs,RBIs,AVG.,walks and legendary stature for a better price.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What great PR it would be to insult the player who was leading the Sox in nearly every offensive catergory before he was hurt. The press would have a GREAT time lambasting the FO if Ortiz signed with another team.All because the of the Sox cheaping out and not offering a second year he rightly deserves.If I were Ortiz,a 1 year deal would be insulting.Especially after the HUGE salary dump this season.

Have fun replacing his HRs,RBIs,AVG.,walks and legendary stature for a better price.

[/QUOTE]

He'll be back next year.  The debate will rage on about his "worth," but at the end of the day, they want him back and he wants to come back.  The negotiations are a mere formality.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

southpaw listens to the media thus he has been convinced there is a market in Boston for 2 years. southpaw probably also believes that Farell is a must have manager.... because the media tells him so.

Great point Trotter, if there is only one market then you are competing against yourself.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

this makes too much sense SBF...youre spposed to say things like "2004" and "We love Big papi"....

[/QUOTE]

You have to wonder Georom of the mind sets of some of our colleagues here.  No one questions Papi's contributions but a little reality is in order.  Would it be a PR disaster if Ortiz signed with another team?  Well if he was a Yankee and signed with another team it wouldn't be anything of the kind because as much as I hate to say it, that organization knows when someone's time is up, their time is up.  There are too manys people in Boston who cling to the Auld Lang Syne.  We can't let this or that guy go because they meant so much to Boston.  The reality is if you want to win you have to take the tack of WHAT HAVE Y OU DONE FOR ME LATELY AND WHAT WILL YOU DO IN THE FUTURE? If the Red Sox want to start winning again and g et out of the outhouse that has to be the story line.

Think about this for a minute.  The Yankees open new stadiums in 1923 and 2009 and what to they do those two years?   They win World Series titles.  We celebrate the 100th Anniversary of our ballpark this season and we disgrace ourselves and finish last in the AL East.  Think the mindset of some of the fans and people in the front office need to change?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You have to wonder Georom of the mind sets of some of our colleagues here.  No one questions Papi's contributions but a little reality is in order.  Would it be a PR disaster if Ortiz signed with another team?  Well if he was a Yankee and signed with another team it wouldn't be anything of the kind because as much as I hate to say it, that organization knows when someone's time is up, their time is up.  There are too manys people in Boston who cling to the Auld Lang Syne.  We can't let this or that guy go because they meant so much to Boston.  The reality is if you want to win you have to take the tack of WHAT HAVE Y OU DONE FOR ME LATELY AND WHAT WILL YOU DO IN THE FUTURE? If the Red Sox want to start winning again and g et out of the outhouse that has to be the story line.

Think about this for a minute.  The Yankees open new stadiums in 1923 and 2009 and what to they do those two years?   They win World Series titles.  We celebrate the 100th Anniversary of our ballpark this season and we disgrace ourselves and finish last in the AL East.  Think the mindset of some of the fans and people in the front office need to change?

[/QUOTE]

Actually, one of the strengths of this Front Office is to know when to let players go.  They were right with Pedro, Damon and Bay to name a few.  They have done well with the compensation picks as well.  Even though some fans were upset about losing Beltre and Martinez, they got Blake Swihart and Jackie Bradley for Beltre and Matt Barnes and Henry Owens for Victor Martinez, 4 guys who are now among their top prospects.  Beltre is doing well in hindsight, but he had an up and down career up to that point and I don't think the Sox were willing to give him the 96 millionTexas did when he seemed to play well during contract years only. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

southpaw listens to the media thus he has been convinced there is a market in Boston for 2 years. southpaw probably also believes that Farell is a must have manager.... because the media tells him so.

Great point Trotter, if there is only one market then you are competing against yourself.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry B...Im not a follower like some of you...This is what I believe should be done (2yr deal). If you dont understand what I mean when I say theres a 2 year market in Boston, then I dont know what to tell ya champ. Personally, I could care less what guys like you and softy think...By the way, I worked in the sports media biz for over 15 years, I know how it works a lot better than you...But thanks for the concern.....

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I thought you never changed your position... 

You've gone from calling me a racist for suggesting we offer Papi $20M/2 to saying he may be worth $5M/yr and maybe offering him $8M/1 if some absurd prognosis says he can play 125 games...like that is an actual statement a doctor would make.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry B...Im not a follower like some of you...This is what I believe should be done (2yr deal). If you dont understand what I mean when I say theres a 2 year market in Boston, then I dont know what to tell ya champ. Personally, I could care less what guys like you and softy think...By the way, I worked in the sports media biz for over 15 years, I know how it works a lot better than you...But thanks for the concern.....

[/QUOTE]

You sound like a winner... "know how it works better than you" ?? How do you know that. I have not even once got the impression you knew more than everyone else.

Sports Media sounds like a loser sales job where you have to cold call to make any money. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Actually Sports Media is pretty cool... it says you can get a "certificate" to work in the field rather than a degree. What color is your certificate?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Actually Sports Media is pretty cool... it says you can get a "certificate" to work in the field rather than a degree. What color is your certificate?

[/QUOTE]

Too funny...your ignorance is shining through once again...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

ignorance?  what sort of word is that? If I called you ignorant what would that mean? only a jack-azz tries to tell someone on the Internet thay know more than another person, without knowing anything at all about that person - that is called ignorance.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

If there was a market for Ortiz then why was not a two year deal signed last year... boy you are ignorant

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ignorant..Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular.

You made comments about me while not knowing anything about me...ie; ignorant to who I am and what im all about.

Now, Im done with you...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Wow; how ignorant of you. Hopefully Cherry does not think like a sports media certificate holder and sign Ortiz to a two year deal as the "marketplace" dictates.

25. This post has been removed.