Ortiz looking for 2 years

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Ortiz looking for 2 years

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

southpaw listens to the media thus he has been convinced there is a market in Boston for 2 years. southpaw probably also believes that Farell is a must have manager.... because the media tells him so.

Great point Trotter, if there is only one market then you are competing against yourself.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry B...Im not a follower like some of you...This is what I believe should be done (2yr deal). If you dont understand what I mean when I say theres a 2 year market in Boston, then I dont know what to tell ya champ. Personally, I could care less what guys like you and softy think...By the way, I worked in the sports media biz for over 15 years, I know how it works a lot better than you...But thanks for the concern.....

[/QUOTE]

Why should the Red Sox assume the risk for Ortiz's aging body? By 2014 they should be able to compete for a playoff berth. And by then Ortiz may well be too old to be effective any more. If that is the case I would not want him to stand in the way of his replacement. Let HIM assume that risk. This is a business, not a charity. Give him ONE YEAR at a reasonable rate and if he does well then the team can opt for an extension.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomp4. Show boomp4's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2 years, 26 million.  A slight decrease in pay, similar to Jeter's last deal.

[/QUOTE]

2 years 10 million. This is resonable for an old DH with no market. Ask Vlad.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

southpaw listens to the media thus he has been convinced there is a market in Boston for 2 years. southpaw probably also believes that Farell is a must have manager.... because the media tells him so.

Great point Trotter, if there is only one market then you are competing against yourself.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry B...Im not a follower like some of you...This is what I believe should be done (2yr deal). If you dont understand what I mean when I say theres a 2 year market in Boston, then I dont know what to tell ya champ. Personally, I could care less what guys like you and softy think...By the way, I worked in the sports media biz for over 15 years, I know how it works a lot better than you...But thanks for the concern.....

[/QUOTE]

Why should the Red Sox assume the risk for Ortiz's aging body? By 2014 they should be able to compete for a playoff berth. And by then Ortiz may well be too old to be effective any more. If that is the case I would not want him to stand in the way of his replacement. Let HIM assume that risk. This is a business, not a charity. Give him ONE YEAR at a reasonable rate and if he does well then the team can opt for an extension.

[/QUOTE]

Its my opinion that they should give him some form of a 2 year deal..Whether it be a straight 2yr or 1yr with an option...Ive stated why I believe this. Other than the year he hurt his wrist getting hit by a pitch, this is the only other year hes missed time due to injury...Hes been durable his whole career...Look at games played...3 are over 140 (149, 145, 146)  with 4 times over 150 (150 twice, 151, 159). No, this isnt a charity and Im not suggesting doing it as such. Ive stated that I believe he can still produce good numbers. If he can hit 25HR and knock in 90 RBI with a .300AVG, like he was doing this year, is he not worth 12mm? I think he can do it and believe he will. Its my opinion and Im sticking with it...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

David Ortiz is poised to hit free agency. And, no surprise, he wants a multi-year deal. He said this to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald:

“Yeah, of course, it’s something I don’t want to be worried about anymore … If I can play, I can play. You can’t take that away from me. I think it’s easier for me not to be answering the questions you’re asking me right now the whole year.”

Ortiz has been down this road before: he’s wanted multi-year extensions in the past and the Red Sox haven’t been willing, probably thinking that Ortiz could hit a wall at any time. But despite some partial-year slumps, he’s come roaring back and stands now as the Sox’ best hitter. Before his injury this year: .318/.415/.611 with 23 home runs, 60 RBI and a 1.026 OPS in 90 games. He’s gonna get paid by someone.

That said, given the fact that there will be interleague all season going forward, I wonder if Ortiz will be one of the last of the truly full-time DHs. I wonder if this is the last monster deal a DH signs. Probably not, but it is weird to see how few of his ilk are around the game

I Say Give Him The 2 Year Deal, We Need His Bat...

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to greatestNYY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Give Ortiz 2 years at the rate of 12 and a half million per year.

[/QUOTE]

Did They Not Just UnLoad $270 Mill...

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.