Ortiz to Accept Arbitration

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattb5fon. Show mattb5fon's posts

Ortiz to Accept Arbitration

Breaking news, papi accepts arbitration. Still has time to work out a deal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Ortiz to Accept Arbitration

With Papi in the fold, it opens up 2 options:

1) Trade Salty and go with Lava as the FT catcher. Get a cheap defensive catcher as the back-up (probably not VTek, since both VTek and Lava do better vs LHPs). Salty could probably help us get some pen help. Lots of catchers moving around this winter.

2) Lowrie is as good as gone. With Youk pinned to 3B, there is not need for Lowrie and Aviles: the choice is easy. Adios Jed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Have not seen suggestions that Red Sox trade Saltalamacchia, but even though other teams have now had more of an opportunity to see Jarrod for a full ML Season
    and he has show potential as a power bat, would be a great opportunity to trade him.  IMHO, Ryan Lavarnway has already shown more potential behind the plate and may, in fact, have more righthanded power. I know Salty was a favorite of Theo, but since he is gone, it would be interesting to see if Ben Cherington has the gumption to make such a move.  I don't see Salty ever being much more than a serviceable DH.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't see Salty as a hitter good enough to DH.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I cannot find anything on David accepting arb.  I do see a rumor the Sox offered $18 million for 2 years which is exactly what they had to do if they want him back. Glad to not see 3 years here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Theo should have had to take all of his boy toys with him: Salty,Lackey,DiceK,JD,Scrubtaro,18 Wheeler,and any other bum he might have signed to a rediculous contract. Crawford and Gonzo are on that list but i can live with them because in the long haul they will be worth every penny.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

too bad to sign an aging lefty dh when we could get beltran...

gotta say it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I would take Beltran on a 2 year deal - absolutely.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Dewey I agree--Ortiz is a bad addition. JH needs to accept a Luxury Tax increase and increase the amount he is willing to spend. The Sox made a mistake offering arb to Papi and this was your decision John Henry. Spend some additional money and put a team on the field the fans deserve. I cannot believe the Boston Red Sox will be standing pat at this meeting when your Marlins, John Henry,  are making a mockery of the baseball meetings.
    You are allowing our team to free fall by not finding an established closer, I'm not saying Madson but at least Houston Street or Andrew Bailey.
    A right field candidate--what is the problem signing either Beltran or Cuddyer.

John Henry this is rediculous that you are allowing the franchise to go the route of your Marlins from  a few years ago when you sold the team out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from practial. Show practial's posts

BURRITO T  Go to mlb trade rumors.com

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Offering Papi arb was not a bad choice.  

The lure of 2 picks was worth the gamble, and if "losing" means we get to keep Papi, but at only a 1 year obligation, then it's not bad at all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Yeah it stunk when I see him that he may be getting 14 to 15 million dollars just for one year.  But seriously, I rather to see him just to accept the one year offer than seeing Boston may be offering him a two years deal for less dollars amount. 

Then after the next season, let him walk!!!!  

Guess Beltran is out of the picture!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I wish Baltimore had signed him... would have been fun to watch and better for our team overall.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz to Accept Arbitration:
    [QUOTE]With Papi in the fold, it opens up 2 options: 1) Trade Salty and go with Lava as the FT catcher. Get a cheap defensive catcher as the back-up (probably not VTek, since both VTek and Lava do better vs LHPs). Salty could probably help us get some pen help. Lots of catchers moving around this winter. 2) Lowrie is as good as gone. With Youk pinned to 3B, there is not need for Lowrie and Aviles: the choice is easy. Adios Jed.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

moon - Absurd comment in that Salty is also cheap. Why would they trade him?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Yup, dumb move offering him arbitration. They should offer him $20M for 2, and if he doesn't take it, they won't be signing him next offseason. Or he takes arbitration, the Sox are strapped for a year and he's gone next year.

Here's a comment from an agent:

“The Red Sox did him a favor when they offered him arbitration,” one agent said.

Cherington does not disagree with that assessment.

Shows you Cherrington is in over his head.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]too bad to sign an aging lefty dh when we could get beltran... gotta say it.
    Posted by DeweyCBoston[/QUOTE]

No kidding. A dumb move by the FO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Offering Papi arb was not a bad choice.   The lure of 2 picks was worth the gamble, and if "losing" means we get to keep Papi, but at only a 1 year obligation, then it's not bad at all.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

moon - Who said it's a one year arbitration? They'll do the same dumb thing next year. This team has a hard time moving on from aging vets. Hopefully, Wake and Tek are no where near Ft. Myers this spring.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz to Accept Arbitration : moon - Absurd comment in that Salty is also cheap. Why would they trade him?
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Because some Gm will be fooled by his High HRs and over-value him. Salty broke down playing only 103 games. He can't field, his arm was good, but has a history of wildness. His stock is high and we have Lava to catch instead of DH. 

I wouldn't just dump Salty, but I think he has high enough value to get us a nice pen arm, and we gain by starting Lava at catcher as well. Two pluses for the price of one. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Beltran isn't aging?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Am I correct in stating that under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, a contract decided in arbitration is guaranteed (unlike the non-guaranteed arbitration contracts under the former CBA)?

Wasn't the non-guaranteed contract one reason why Jason Varitek (and Scott Boras) declined the Red Sox offer of arbitration following the 2008 season?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Yup, dumb move offering him arbitration. They should offer him $20M for 2, and if he doesn't take it, they won't be signing him next offseason. Or he takes arbitration, the Sox are strapped for a year and he's gone next year. Here's a comment from an agent: “The Red Sox did him a favor when they offered him arbitration,” one agent said. Cherington does not disagree with that assessment. Shows you Cherrington is in over his head.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that one comment from an anonymous agent clinches it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

Here's your link Burrito:

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Predictable. No 3 year market existed. 2 years and 20M max was all there ever was for a player his age. But Ortiz earned a market offer, given his 2010 and 2011 production. Red Sox were correct to offer arbitration, because Ortiz was a 2011 league elite hitter and it may enable them to save 5 to 6M on a second year if no such market exists. If it does, Ortiz has earned a contract and sending Ortiz out during the next year or two is the correct move. Ortiz value is one year and 7 to 10M, but as long as the Red Sox understand that the moment Ortiz washes up like Wakefield and Varitek, he needs to agree to retire or he should be released. A 2 year deal over arbitration one year will reduce the CBT for 2012. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz to Accept Arbitration : moon - Absurd comment in that Salty is also cheap. Why would they trade him?
    Posted by ADG

Because some Gm will be fooled by his High HRs and over-value him. Salty broke down playing only 103 games. He can't field, his arm was good, but has a history of wildness. His stock is high and we have Lava to catch instead of DH.

I wouldn't just dump Salty, but I think he has high enough value to get us a nice pen arm, and we gain by starting Lava at catcher as well. Two pluses for the price of one.

Mr. Moon

I'm with ADG on this one.  I think you are underestimating a couple things in calling for Salty to be traded:

injuries!  As we have seen in 3 recent seasons injuries can destroy the best plans.  Having catching depth sounds good to me.

inexperience!  You say Salty broke down, but you want to hand over the reins to  a guy who wasn't a regular at catcher last year.  I read Salty lost loads of weight during the season which is normal he said, I would guess it is totally normal for a first year catcher to slump in September.

cost!  Salty is cheap and remember he was the top catcher in MLB in XBH / PA.  He has a strong arm and I don't think it is likely Lava will handle the staff better with his major lack of experience.

Salty may not be great but give him time, put Lava in AAA to start the season and let him catch almost every day.  I was disappointed he had to split time last year at catcher with Exposito, who should have been moved by Theo.