OT: the officiating snafus around the league

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

OT: the officiating snafus around the league

The spate of bad calls sure have increased at alarming rate.  My cynical view is that somehow this is not coincidental with the big push to increase instant replay or other external officiating methods.  Just don't buy that umpires have suddenly become so incompetent in so many games - calls that have definitively affected outcome of the game.  Toree is driving the MLB toward expanded reply every chance he gets.  Would like to know who all stands to profit from expanded replay.  Yes, I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist, but this is beginning to reek of a plan being systematically improvised.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: OT: the officiating snafus around the league

I love a good conspiracy and I am probably even more cynical than you.

But, I am sure that the mistake made by the umps in the Angels/Texas game has no bearing on replay. 4 umpires did not know that a relief pitcher cannot be removed from a game until he has faced at least one batter. How does a major league umpire argue with Mike Scoisia that he is wrong when the rule clearly states that Sciosia is right ?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Technology is not always good.

In the wrong hands it can be fatal.

Humans play the game, humans should officiate the games.

Mistakes will always happen.

Until the sport is played by machines, leave it up to humans.

Just make sure those humans are capable of doing their job with proper training.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

fair arguements both sides.  just something odd about the rash of bad calls.  dont misunderstand - not knowing the rule about the relief pitcher is unacceptable - arguing your ignorance of the rule is even worse.  if it is simply a case of incompetence, then the suspensions should wake up some of these guys who take the field without knowing the rulebook.  i just don't believe in coincidences.  too many of these overtly bad calls at the same time the technology expansion is being pushed.  who knows - maybe the umpires want the technology to take pressure off them - too close to call - don't look at me - look at it on replay. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

fair arguements both sides.  just something odd about the rash of bad calls.  dont misunderstand - not knowing the rule about the relief pitcher is unacceptable - arguing your ignorance of the rule is even worse.  if it is simply a case of incompetence, then the suspensions should wake up some of these guys who take the field without knowing the rulebook.  i just don't believe in coincidences.  too many of these overtly bad calls at the same time the technology expansion is being pushed.  who knows - maybe the umpires want the technology to take pressure off them - too close to call - don't look at me - look at it on replay. 

What burns me is that none of the 4 umpires working the game could communicate to Culbreth that the pitcher must face at least one batter?? All four should have been suspended and told to come back when they fully understood the rule book which is the job they are hired to enforce.

Then there's Angel Hernandez, possibly the worst ump in the majors, not getting the HR call right when the TV is showing replays that clearly show the ball clearing the fence. Ya think if TV has the replays, the umps would have access to the same feed.

These type of mistakes are really inexcusable for MAJOR LEAGUE level umpires.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

What burns me is that none of the 4 umpires working the game could communicate to Culbreth that the pitcher must face at least one batter?? All four should have been suspended and told to come back when they fully understood the rule book which is the job they are hired to enforce.

agreed

Then there's Angel Hernandez, possibly the worst ump in the majors, not getting the HR call right when the TV is showing replays that clearly show the ball clearing the fence. Ya think if TV has the replays, the umps would have access to the same feed.

them not having quality equipment or all the  feeds is the only thing that makes sense

but mlb said they did

These type of mistakes are really inexcusable for MAJOR LEAGUE level umpires.

no doubt Soxdog67

maybe  the suspensions will help

IMO they should redo the the ending of the blown A's HR

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Umpires make mistakes. Players make mistakes. Managers and coaches make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. However , it is inexcusable for an umpiring crew to not even know the rules.