Our story thus far

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Our story thus far

We are just a few days away from a point where we will be able to tell if the Red Sox can right the ship and make the playoffs.

Doesn't look good now but wait. Just wait. Give it a few more days. The Yankees stunk in 2009 until Mid-May, when they turned on their afterburners and won the whole shebang. 

So wait. The same could happen here.

Um, or not.

But even if it does not, please!  No jumping off the ledge!  No swan dives from the Zakim bridge. This team is not worth that; nothing is, in fact.

I am going to give all of you some advice, and it is worth what you just paid for it.

Enjoy the season.

That's right. Enjoy it for what it is: a journey through time with your fellow humans.

Stop drinking Red Bull for breakfast. No more listening to WEEI on the way to work and spitting bullets into your morning coffeee. 

No more yelling at Josh Beckett. John Lackey? Who he?  A sad case of anger management gone awry.  All the money in the world, with personal issues, family isses, and half of Red Sox Nation wanting to lop off his head. He's the lucky, rich one. Right?

I bet if he could trade the contract and the money for a healthy family and peace of mind, he would do it.

Would you? 

So stop obsessing about the people places and things that you cannot change.

Which brings us to my take on the season so far. Now, pay attention because there will be a quiz later.

Hold on.

Wait. It's coming.

Okay, here it is.

It doesn't matter.

I will say it again: It doesn't matter.

Stop whining. Do something else this summer. Take a vacation. Talk to your spouse about a private little getaway and then make sure the both of you get away. 

Maybe take the kids. Hug them every day.  Marvel at their resilience and their capacity to laugh.  You can learn a lot from your spouse and kids. So what are you waiting for?  Learn something from them.

And while you are at it, take a fresh look at baseball, and at the young players in the farm system.   Get to the park early some day, and walk around during BP.  And don't just listen to the sounds of baseball - hear them as well.

Me? I like to listen to the ball strike the bat, or hear the ball go 'thwap' into a catcher's glove with a pop that makes your head spin around as you say, "Whoa! That...that was a fastball!"

Do me a favor. No, do yourself a favor. Hike up to Portland to catch a Sea Dogs game instead of going to Fenway. Watch those young hungry kids do the simple things that so few of us can do so well. Again, as Crash Davis says in Bull Durham: "It's a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball. Simple." Ah, but if it is so simple, how come so few of us can do it at all?

Yes, go to Portland, or Pawtucket, and sit in the stands under an August moon; feel the warm breeze against the back of your neck and take a deep breath. Exhale slowly. Time will stand stil and, darn if you hear your heartbeat. Open your eyes, and say, "This is enough. I am enough. The love of my life and my children: they are enough. Life is good." 

And somewhere around the fourth inning, the shortstop will take a pick from deep in the hole, then pivot in mid-air and fire to first for a bang-bang play that the umpire calls an...calls an...out!

One hundred years from now, your progeny will take their children -- your descendants -- to a baseball game under a moonlit sky with a thousand diamond specks above third base, and say the same thing. Be a part of this mystery, this narrative without end.

Or it will pass you by, and you will miss the most important part: its baffling, brilliant mix of hope and stability and peace, mixed with athleticism, grace and power.

"What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how
    infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and
    admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like
    a god! the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals..."

Baseball.

Remember - the game itself is its own curative. As Annie Savoy says in Bull Durham: "Walt Whitman once said, 'I see great things in baseball. It's our game, the American game. It will repair our losses and be a blessing to us.' You could look it up."

Baseball, not the Red Sox, will be our blessing and repair our losses.

Enjoy the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Our story thus far

Sweet post.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Our story thus far:
    [QUOTE]Sweet post.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]
    +1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I like that attitude!!

Wait until few veterans come off of the DL such as Youkilis, Dice K and Ellsbury.  If they can come in and start helping the team to make alot of noise, then I think this team can turn around.  AL East is not usually like in the past where Yankees and Boston are young team and have too many talents to dominate the division.  Right now this AL East division are all pretty even against each other.  

Rays and Orioles will start to go on losing streak soon.  Yankees is being Yankees.

So therefore, I can just wait until the end of the month of June to see where Boston is standing in that division.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Eloquent Summer.  Lovely.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I dig the Red Sox.  I don't need to win every year.  In fact when the Red Sox won the WS for the first time I was confused.  I felt like part of my identity as a Red Sox fan was gone.

Obviously I want them to win.  But all you need to know about me is the guy I root for the hardest on the team is DMac.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I dig the Red Sox.  I don't need to win every year.  In fact when the Red Sox won the WS for the first time I was confused.  I felt like part of my identity as a Red Sox fan was gone. Obviously I want them to win.  But all you need to know about me is the guy I root for the hardest on the team is DMac.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Right on Snake.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Sweet post.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Much appreciated!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our story thus far : +1
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Thanks, hill! Good to have your around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]I like that attitude!! Wait until few veterans come off of the DL such as Youkilis, Dice K and Ellsbury.  If they can come in and start helping the team to make alot of noise, then I think this team can turn around.  AL East is not usually like in the past where Yankees and Boston are young team and have too many talents to dominate the division.  Right now this AL East division are all pretty even against each other.   Rays and Orioles will start to go on losing streak soon.  Yankees is being Yankees. So therefore, I can just wait until the end of the month of June to see where Boston is standing in that division.
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Go. I think the Sox have a chance, but even if they don't make it I hope we can all enjoy the journey together.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]I dig the Red Sox.  I don't need to win every year.  In fact when the Red Sox won the WS for the first time I was confused.  I felt like part of my identity as a Red Sox fan was gone. Obviously I want them to win.  But all you need to know about me is the guy I root for the hardest on the team is DMac.

nothing wrong w/dmac, or aviles, sweeney, byrd...those guys play hard with what ever talent they have...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Eloquent Summer.  Lovely.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Space! Thanks for the props, bro.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Good take, Snake.  Thanks for the share.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I agree My favorite all time player Don Buddin go figure.

It is the ride and not always the outcome.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Wow!  Too much Oprah!!!

You guys act as though people venting a bit about how horrific the season is going, is mutually exclusive of living a NORMAL LIFE!  As though the rest of us are ONE DIMENSIONAL!  PLEASE!!!!  It's insulting & self serving!  As though this is some revelation???? 

Come on now fellas!  YOU need to lighten up!!!  Not the rest of us who enjoy a little "RECREATIONAL B I T C H ING!

:)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

one of the best posts I've read here in three years. thanks summer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]is Dr. Wayne Dyer posting on this board now?
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

you think Bobby V is cool.  Posts like this are lost on you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Just enojoy the fact that actual baseball is being played.  And quit acting like the Sox not making the post-season is something you've never seen before.

Of course, I never give up on the Sox until math tells me I have to.  And I view anyone who does otherwise in April or May as either a newcomer to the game, or a complete idiot.

If you are a baseball fan, watch the Sox.  Enjoy it.  It's baseball.  If you are a winning fan, and especially one of those fans who calls for the manager to be fired after every game for this or that, regardless of the actual turnout of the game, then maybe give baseball a pass and go take in some UConn Lady Huskies basketball games at some point, and understand they are probably the only team in all of sports that wins at the only pace you find acceptable

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Beautiful post. It's amazing how so many people can only enjoy all the intricacies of a season when their team is winning.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]one of the best posts I've read here in three years. thanks summer.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

My pleasure, JBay. Thanks. See you around the BDC fantasy league...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Beautiful post. It's amazing how so many people can only enjoy all the intricacies of a season when their team is winning.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Kim. You are one of the good ones and your kind comments mean a lot to me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Just enojoy the fact that actual baseball is being played.  And quit acting like the Sox not making the post-season is something you've never seen before. Of course, I never give up on the Sox until math tells me I have to.  And I view anyone who does otherwise in April or May as either a newcomer to the game, or a complete idiot. If you are a baseball fan, watch the Sox.  Enjoy it.  It's baseball.  If you are a winning fan, and especially one of those fans who calls for the manager to be fired after every game for this or that, regardless of the actual turnout of the game, then maybe give baseball a pass and go take in some UConn Lady Huskies basketball games at some point, and understand they are probably the only team in all of sports that wins at the only pace you find acceptable
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Thanks for taking the time to comment, notin. Much appreciated. I haven't had as much time this year as in years past to post and to stay current with moon's great thread, but I miss reading your insights. Glad you are around to share. Thanks again.