Outfield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Outfield

As moon says, the lack of a better choice for RHed bat in RF will not necessarily cost the Sox in the playoffs, but some of us ( may I speak for others? ) are, shall we say, uneasy with McDonald and Aviles as the choices. McDonald is not a good defender, and RF in Fenway is not hospitable to mediocre defenders. Aviles has not played the position since high school. 
    If the Sox get to the WS, Lee and Hamels will be on hand to greet them. Terry will either go with Reddick or with one of the other two.  What I'm saying is that it can't hurt to have a better choice if one shows up on the waiver wire, say, like Francoeur.  He is a better bet than either McDonald or Aviles to hit one out or to throw out a runner at the plate. One play in a big game can and has made the difference.  Maybe someone else who's suitable will become available. It would depend, of course, on what the other team wanted.
    BTW, Max, NY does not have an all-lefty OF. Swisher is a SH.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Outfield

I still don't get the issue with an all LH OF???
    If you had an all RH OF would you be looking for a LH OF?????

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Outfield:
    [QUOTE]I still don't get the issue with an all LH OF??? If you had an all RH OF would you be looking for a LH OF?????
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]
    In general, lefties have more trouble hitting lefties than righties have hitting righties.  
    That was not the basic issue. It was a question of whether the Sox can do better than McDonald or Aviles when the club does put a RHed bat in the outfield, as it almost certainly will in the post season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jim, you really don't have an issue with this?

OPS vs LHPs

Crawford: .506 (.684 career)
    Ellsbury:   .749 (.751 career)
    Reddick: Has just 35 career PAs vs LHPs out of 276. (.991 OPS)
    DMac: .720 (.781 career)

Philly has 2 LHPs out of their top 3 guys: Lee and Hamels.
    Texas has 3 LHPs out of their top 4: Wilson, Holland, and Harrison.
    NYY has CC Sabathia.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The point might be a bit moot.  Until Reddick shows he can't hit lefties, it should be assumed he can.  As such, Crawford is the biggest liability.  If we are not willing to replace him with a RH bat, then no trade will help us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

slo, I don't agree with the logic. The fact that Reddick has only played vs LHPs about 1/8th of the games shows Tito does not have a lot of faith in him vs LHPs, despite his nice numbers in a short sample. He ddin't hit lefties well in the minors. I can't bring myself to "assume" he can hit lefties. 

I agree, Tito will live and die with CC as a FT player. I just hope the team doesn't "die" because of that fact.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]slo, I don't agree with the logic. The fact that Reddick has only played vs LHPs about 1/8th of the games shows Tito does not have a lot of faith in him vs LHPs, despite his nice numbers in a short sample. He ddin't hit lefties well in the minors. I can't bring myself to "assume" he can hit lefties.  I agree, Tito will live and die with CC as a FT player. I just hope the team doesn't "die" becuase of that fact.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Against lefties from here onwards, Terry will not sit both Crawford and Reddick in the same game save for rest. The club does not have two reliable RHed replacements. As moon says, Crawford will play every day. That leaves either McDonald or Aviles to spell Reddick against lefties. I have already expressed an opinion on this issue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]slo, I don't agree with the logic. The fact that Reddick has only played vs LHPs about 1/8th of the games shows Tito does not have a lot of faith in him vs LHPs, despite his nice numbers in a short sample. He ddin't hit lefties well in the minors. I can't bring myself to "assume" he can hit lefties.  I agree, Tito will live and die with CC as a FT player. I just hope the team doesn't "die" becuase of that fact.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Reddick never hit near this well against anybody in the minors.  Either something clicked for him this year (maybe patience started to pay off) or he's been real lucky.  If the latter, he can be just as lucky against lefties.  In either case, he needs a lot more ABs before we can make a determination.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's a small sample size, slo.
    The sample size vs LHPs is even smaller.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

I would never ever consider benching Crawford because a lefty is on the mound.  It sure as hell made no difference when he played for Tampa.  Last night going 4 for 4, 3 off of Sabbathia and another off of Logan may indicate he's baaack and that is god awful news for Yankee fans.  Imagine Crawford hitting at a high level batting 6th or 7th!

I'll also take my chances with Aviles batting against lefties early in the game but later replacing him with Reddick for defensive purposes.  And I believe Reddick can put a good swing on most lefties also. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Outfield : Reddick never hit near this well against anybody in the minors.  Either something clicked for him this year (maybe patience started to pay off) or he's been real lucky.  If the latter, he can be just as lucky against lefties.  In either case, he needs a lot more ABs before we can make a determination.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
    The prior question is whether this year Reddick will get enough PA's against lefties to begin to make a determination. The evidence so far suggests probably not, and brings us back to the question of a RHed replacement, which was the original topic of this thread.  Thoughts on that?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

No worries. Offer Ellsbury 143M and go with Crawford, Ells and Reddick for the post season and next 6 years. Theo said he wants to give Ells a big extension. Crawford followed up his career year with another career year. Makes sense. No need for anything but Mac and a Francouer and Avilles for years to come. Ells and Crawford are superstars.