Papelbon and Free Agency

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

Papelbon and Free Agency

I would love for Paplebon to stay in Boston, but he may just price himself out of the city.  What might be the top landing spots for Papelbon?  Who may pony up that kind of scratch, with exception of the Yanks of course?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

Re: Papelbon and Free Agency

The Yanks already have Mo and Soriano tied up with huge contracts so I doubt if they will be after Paps...the Mets like to throw big contract's around but they might be out of money, maybe Detroit or Philadelphia might consider him but my guess is he is most valuable to the Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Mets?

The Cubs?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I bet the Mets will do something regardless of their finance situation, but the one position they will not pay top dollar in will be Closer. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Papelbon and Free Agency:
    [QUOTE]I would love for Paplebon to stay in Boston, but he may just price himself out of the city.  What might be the top landing spots for Papelbon?  Who may pony up that kind of scratch, with exception of the Yanks of course?
    Posted by westcoastsox9[/QUOTE]

I think every one would like to see Papelbon re-up....I am sure the Sox will offer arbitration, which he'll refuse and take his services to the open market. If recent history is a means of predicting the future, if another team steps up and overpay's beyond the value they have assigned to the closers role, given his age, predicted performance for the life of the deal, they'll thank him for a job well done, wish him well and glady take the compensation draft picks.

End of the day, the question(s) that needs to be answered by the Sox baseball operations team is what are they willing to offer to retain him and/or are they ready to annoint Bard the closer (and if so who do they replace him with in the 8th)?

Bottom line is Paplebon will get paid, just how much we'll have to wait and see? He'll probably make somwhere north of 12M but I don't see him getting more than say 15M which is currently what the Yank's are paying MO....

Joe Nathan rhp
    • 4 years/$47M (2008-11), plus 2012 club option
      • signed extension with Minnesota 3/24/08, replacing option year of previous deal
      • 08:$11.25M, 09:$11.25M, 10:$11.25M, 11:$11.25M, 12:$12.5M club option ($2M buyout)
      • price of 2012 option increases by $0.5M each for 55 GF in 2010, 55 GF in 2011, and 110 GF in 2010-11 combined
      • limited no-trade clause
      • award bonus: $25,000 for All Star selection

Francisco Rodriguez rhp

•  
      • 3 years/$37M (2009-11), plus 2012 option
        • signed by NY Mets as a free agent 12/9/08
        • $2M signing bonus
        • 09:$8.5M, 10:$11.5M, 11:$11.5M, 12:$17.5M option ($3.5M buyout)
        • 2012 option becomes guaranteed with:
          • 55 games finished in 2011, and
          • 100 games finished in 2010-11, and
          • doctors declare Rodriguez healthy after 2011
        • Rodriguez receives $3.5M termination buyout if 2012 option does not become guaranteed
        • annual performance bonuses, 2009-11:
          • $0.15M each for 50, 55 GF; $0.2M for 60 GF
        • 2012 performance bonuses:
          • $0.3M each for 50, 55 GF; $0.4M for 60 GF
        • limited no-trade clause allowing Rodriguez to block deals to 10 clubs
        • award bonuses: $50,000 for LCS MVP; $0.1M each for All Star, WS MVP; $0.1M for Cy Young ($75,000 for 2nd in vote, $50,000 for 3rd, $25,000 for 4th or 5th); $0.1M for MVP ($75,000 for 2nd in vote, $50,000 for 3rd, $25,000 for 4th or 5th); $0.1M for 1st-time Rolaids ($75,000 for 2nd in vote, $50,000 for 3rd, $25,000 for 4th or 5th); $0.2M for 2nd-time Rolaids; $0.4M for 3rd-time Rolaids; $0.8M for 4th-time Rolaids
        • acquired by Milwaukee in trade from NY Mets 7/13/11, with Rodriguez agreeing to convert vesting option to mutual option in exchange for a $0.5M increase in his buyout. Mets pay Brewers about $5.9M in the deal ($3.5M of buyout plus half remaining $4.9M salary in 2011)

2012 free agents closers (from Cot's)
          Heath Bell SD
          Jonathan Broxton LAD
          Francisco Cordero CIN *
          Ryan Madson PHI
          Joe Nathan MIN *
          Jonathan Papelbon BOS
          Francisco Rodriguez NYM *
          Rafael Soriano NYY (may opt out)
          Jose Valverde DET
          Brad Lidge PHI *

Kyle Farnsworth TB *

2012 free agent Relief Pitchers to include the above....
          Danys Baez PHI
          Miguel Batista STL
          Matt Belisle COL
          Heath Bell SD
          Rafael Betancourt COL
          Blaine Boyer
          Jonathan Broxton LAD
          Tim Byrdak HOU
          Shawn Camp TOR
          Matt Capps MIN
          Todd Coffey MIL
          Clay Condrey MIN
          Francisco Cordero CIN *
          Lance Cormier TB
          Juan Cruz TB
          Octavio Dotel TOR *
          Kyle Farnsworth TB *
          Randy Flores NYY
          Frank Francisco TOR
          Ryan Franklin STL
          Jason Frasor TOR *
          Chad Gaudin WAS
          Mike Gonzalez BAL
          John Grabow CHC
          LaTroy Hawkins MIL
          Brad Lidge PHI *
          Scott Linebrink ATL
          Javier Lopez SF
          Ryan Madson PHI
          Damaso Marte NYY *
          Sergio Mitre NYY
          Joe Nathan MIN *
          Hideki Okajima BOS
          Darren Oliver TEX
          Jonathan Papelbon BOS
          Joel Peralta TB
          Chad Qualls SD *
          Jon Rauch TOR *
          Chris Ray TEX
          Dennys Reyes BOS
          Arthur Rhodes TEX *
          Fernando Rodney LAA
          Francisco Rodriguez NYM *
          George Sherrill ATL
          Rafael Soriano NYY (may opt out)
          Brian Tallet STL
          Koji Uehara BAL *
          Jose Valverde DET
          Tyler Walker WAS
          Kerry Wood CHC
          Jamey Wright SEA
          Michael Wuertz OAK
          Joel Zumaya DET

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Papelbon has been absolute lights-out lately.  Since the ASB, 13 innings, 1 run, 5 hits, 14 K's, no walks.  He is making this very interesting.  Probably the #1 thing on Theo's mind right now.

No way you can rule the Yankees out.  Mo only has one year left on his deal.  They tossed 35 million at Soriano just to set up.  Taking Papelbon from us would be a 'major coup' for them, and they kind of like those. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I would love for Paplebon to stay in Boston, but he may just price himself out of the city.  What might be the top landing spots for Papelbon?  Who may pony up that kind of scratch, with exception of the Yanks of course?

I get the impression some fans feel we can't afford to sign Pap which is far from true.  If Pap continues to pitch well through the PS, Theo will make a resonable offer but won't go crazy on a guy that normally pitches one inning. 

Good closers are hard to find but and I wouldn't mind keeping Pap.  After what happened with the K-Rod signing I don't see anyone allowing John to set some sort of new bar for a closers salary.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I doubt is Papelbon would go from the Sox the Mets. If he leaves, he'll go to the highest bidder, a winning team with playoff chances and not the perrenial losing Mets.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The thing will closers is that you have a rough idea of how much he is going to make. He is going to be in 12+ three year range. Is that 12 million better spent on Papelbon or 400,000 for Bard and 11.5 elsewhere.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MJKJRMRYAZ. Show MJKJRMRYAZ's posts

Bard is very capable of taking over the closer role.  Although Papelbon's numbers have improved from the past 2 years, he is reverting back to a one pitch pitcher agian, fastball, fastball, fastball.

The diffence this year is increased velocity and better control.  As he ages, that velocity will start to diminsh.  Papelbon will not get the huge payday he expects, especially with the other FA closers on the market. I say, let him go.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon and Free Agency:
    [QUOTE]Bard is very capable of taking over the closer role.  Although Papelbon's numbers have improved from the past 2 years, he is reverting back to a one pitch pitcher agian, fastball, fastball, fastball. The diffence this year is increased velocity and better control.  As he ages, that velocity will start to diminsh.  Papelbon will not get the huge payday he expects, especially with the other FA closers on the market. I say, let him go.
    Posted by MJKJRMRYAZ[/QUOTE]

Bard may well be able to take over as closer.  The next question is, who takes over for Bard?  (And please don't say Jenks.)  The set-up man is almost important as the closer now, and getting pricy as well. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

This is tough. Even if Theo were to offer him a contract now he won't accept. Pap seems dead set on testing the open market. The truth is that once he is there no one knows what will happen. If you think the Yankees won't make a bid for him, think again. There may also be teams that you don't expect making offers. Texas, Tampa, Cleveland, Detroit. Free agency. Everyone's in play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Paps been pretty great overall, but he wasn't looking so good last year after the collapse against the Angels in the playoffs the previous season.  Now in his walk year and he's looking great again.  Will he be this great in the next one two three or four years?  That's the risk.  I feel comfortable with Bard; the Yankees may well get Paps, so we'll get to hate him if that happens, and celebrate doubly when he blows saves against the Sox and if picks we get for the signing pan out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

I'm happy paps is doing well, His mouth has made his act tiresome for me a while back. I will have no problem with Bard taking over the closer role. Personally, I think the whole "Closer" crap is just a bit overdone anyway. Getting 3 outs in the ninth isn't any harder then getting three outs in any other inning, The Inning simply depends on who's batting, not whether it's the end of the game or not. For heaven's sake Wakefield was a "Closer" at one time !!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]I'm happy paps is doing well, His mouth has made his act tiresome for me a while back. I will have no problem with Bard taking over the closer role. Personally, I think the whole "Closer" crap is just a bit overdone anyway. Getting 3 outs in the ninth isn't any harder then getting three outs in any other inning, The Inning simply depends on who's batting, not whether it's the end of the game or not. For heaven's sake Wakefield was a "Closer" at one time !!
    Posted by ALaGatorAL[/QUOTE]

Personally I think having a great closer is a huge asset.  If we had a great closer in 1986 we probably win the Series in 6.  If we had one in 2003 Grady takes Pedro out and we win.  We had a great one in 2004, Series champs.  We had one in 2007, Series champs.

Foulke in 2004, Jenks in 2005, Wainwright in 2006, Paps in 2007, Lidge in 2008, Rivera in 2009, Wilson in 2010.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Rednecks might consider FA contract outside of Boston.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon and Free Agency : Personally I think having a great closer is a huge asset.  If we had a great closer in 1986 we probably win the Series in 6.  If we had one in 2003 Grady takes Pedro out and we win.  We had a great one in 2004, Series champs.  We had one in 2007, Series champs. Foulke in 2004, Jenks in 2005, Wainwright in 2006, Paps in 2007, Lidge in 2008, Rivera in 2009, Wilson in 2010.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

HF, this is one of the best posts you've ever written. This is exactly why I don't take closers for granted. The very best ones helped the Sox win, the shaky ones caused managers to make painful non-moves and painful moves in relief of Sox starters. Don't forget that Frankie with Percival made the Angels formidable in 2002.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In my opinion in 2003, though, Grady should have had the faith of Tim-Bree at that point because in that series they were on fire.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If you base it on reg. season, which Grady obviously kept thinking might happen, then he felt he was in the right to stay with Pedro no matter what.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Worry about rigjht now.  We'll deal with the future if and when it gets here.   Some of us won't even be around to see what Papelbon decides. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Papelbon has certainly earned the right to ask for a giant payday especially considering the paydays accorded to guys who didn't get brought up through the Sox system or helped the team win a WS. He is a top 5 in MLB-caliber closer. I too want the Sox to "pay the man!"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

I hope we can sign him for a couple years so he is happy and Redsox too. He is not the best closer in the game but definately the best closer for the Redsox. I think Redsox are best team for him as well. You can never have enough bullpen/closers and if he goes on FAgency I bet Yankees will do their best to land him. I do not want Redsox to lose him but at the end of the day its business.