Papi: Not sure I want to stay here

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: Papi: I"m not sure i want to stay here for this drama" and He would consider the Yankees cause they are right t...

Read the Pedroia article. You may be overstating. Calm down. Don't let Shaunnessy brainwash you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Re: Papi: I"m not sure i want to stay here for this drama" and He would consider the Yankees cause they are right t...

Clean out the whiners and has-beens.     Even though Cherington doesn't have much in trading chips, he can get creative by scanning rosters to see if some worthwhile players fall through the cracks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Yankees would not even bother to sign Papi.  They have way too many players that may have to bat DH from A-Rod to Jeter to Montero within next four years.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

I think Big Papi would be an excellent signing for the Yankees. After all, the Yankees can use a 36 year old designated hitter with declining skills. He would fit in with the other AARP players with declining skills. Their road plane rides would be fascinating, they can discuss their arthritis and hip replacements. A-Rod can begin the discussion. Then there can be a rousing discussion of the "good old days" when they all used PEDs. Yep, Papi would be a fine Yankee.

management will be OK with all of these geezers playing for the team. Sure, they all signed big (and long term) contracts, but they are so old they won't remember whether they were paid or not each month. The Steinbrenners can just say "Why, of course we paid you" and the team members will all be happy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: Papi: I"m not sure i want to stay here for this drama" and He would consider the Yankees cause they are right there and they know what to do.:
    [QUOTE]I think Big Papi would be an excellent signing for the Yankees. After all, the Yankees can use a 36 year old designated hitter with declining skills. He would fit in with the other AARP players with declining skills. Their road plane rides would be fascinating, they can discuss their arthritis and hip replacements. A-Rod can begin the discussion. Then there can be a rousing discussion of the "good old days" when they all used PEDs. Yep, Papi would be a fine Yankee. management will be OK with all of these geezers playing for the team. Sure, they all signed big (and long term) contracts, but they are so old they won't remember whether they were paid or not each month. The Steinbrenners can just say "Why, of course we paid you" and the team members will all be happy.
    Posted by mjnmjn[/QUOTE]
    Don't see why you need to be raggin' on the yankees. yankees have an ex steroid user - sox have an ex steroid user. Yankee fans on this forum have been very quiet about the Sox problems. Make no mistake about it though, I like the yankees team as its currently constituted alot more than I do the Sox squad and pokin' at the yanks over age and steroid use seems kind of silly given the current circumstances.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Papi is a Red Sox icon. We should never forget his contributions to the team, especially in 2004.  I will say that his attitude has become an issue of late.  Maybe it is time to move on , but he obviously can still hit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

I do not think Papi will decline if he is a Yankee player.  With short porch right field, he could hit as many 25 homeruns at the Yankee stadium.  But I know he will struggle hitting on the road.  

But the Yankees already said that they need to concentrate their starting rotation first but if CC Sabathia opt out, they are imore in serious trouble.  Then focus RF (if Swisher opt out) and possible 3B if A-Rod continues to be injure prone player.  DH spot is their last resort during their off season.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

The Yanks don't need Papi anywhere near as much as the Sox do.  IMO, Papi was not the problem in the clubhouse, he was more of a symptom of the problem.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

First off not sure that Papi ever was a real leader in the clubhouse to begin with. He's always been a me first guy and part of that has to do with the fact that his value lyes in his getting his numbers...It is becasue he's been playing for his next contract for the last 3 years and selfishly he has to protect him own interest. Frankly all proffesional athletes due to the nature of their jobs are by nature selfish. They get paid based on how they perform. Not on how well the team performs or the chemistry in the clubhouse...

So if you're a guy that closes games you get rewarded based on your ability to pitch in the ninth. That's where the real moneys are for relievers. So had the Sox asked Papelbon to set-up instead of closing this year, how do think he'd have responded? Asking a guy to set-up becasue that's in the best interest of team is fine and in a perfect world, you'd hope they'd understand but you could also understand how he might not be happy given that he's in his walk year...Papi as a DH gets paid to hit the ball and drive in runs...this offseason he'll be rewarded in kind based on his value on the open market. Given that he can only play for an AL club, had the Sox dropped him in the order and or platooned him against all lefties this year. Do you think he would've gladly accepted that role? doubful, so I have no problem with the inference that he may have been selfish or that he would have an issue with where and how often he was in the lineup.

All of these issues lay at the feet of the manager...who's responsible for ensuring that the teams goals are foremost in every players mind and that each of them does their part to ensure that when called upon they're ready to do their part...That said, this past season he and Papelbon were both auditioning for every team in baseball and as such how they performed as individual will set their market value...The drama within the clubhouse and the subsequent collapse will have zero impact on them...

So Papi's comments about having reservations about coming back IMHO are warrented based on the drama that's playing out...Who could blame him for not wanting to resign with a club that appears to be in termoil...Unless someone can convince him that whatever was the casue of the drama will be eradicated and the press is going to let sleeping dogs lye...Because we all know that Tommase and Shaunessey will be looking for every opportunity to "break" the news of every apparent problem next year too.

What I've yet to hear is any of the players step up and take responsibility for or stand up and say...I'm all in and any guy that doesn't show up next year ready to compete will have to deal with me! That's not who Papi is and he's never been that guy and if anyone is expecting him to be that guy your likely to be disapointed...

enough's, enough. I get that we had issues last year and that we have guys that took advatage of or took for granted the honor of wearing a major league uniform...that doesn't mean that the 2012 club or the new manager has to be punished or held accountable for what was cleary an organizational issue that was allowed to go unchecked!

As I see it the new manger has to come in and establish the rules by which every player must follow without exception...if indeed there are players that need to go becasue they won't by in then so be it...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

Don't see why you need to be raggin' on the yankees. yankees have an ex steroid user - sox have an ex steroid user. Yankee fans on this forum have been very quiet about the Sox problems. Make no mistake about it though, I like the yankees team as its currently constituted alot more than I do the Sox squad and pokin' at the yanks over age and steroid use seems kind of silly given the current circumstances.

posted by pri360

You're serious right? I have been a Sox fan for over 55 years. In those 55 years I have seen some abominable Red Sox teams at the same time that the Yankees were reeling off 20 + World Championships. During that entire time, I (and everone else I know) was constantly ragging on the Yankees. Now that we have a small blip on the screen you want me to stop. Say, are you new in town? You know the monster didn't always have seats on top don't you? Ever hear of Tom Yawkey? Has anyone ever mentioned it snows here in the winter? Don't rag on the Yankees; that's like putting a Hungarian restaurant in the North End.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaGolfer. Show TampaGolfer's posts

I, like many of you follow Boston teams with great interest. I no longer live in the Boston area, and listen to other cities complain about how the Boston sports teams play.  I have always defended them and management.

Now with this mess starting in Sept. and continuing to spin out of control I think it's time for the team to do some real soul searching.

Let's start with Tito. I am flabbergasted that he is being thrown under the proverbial bus!  For the past 8 years this guy has done amazing things with a bunch of overpaid children.  For awhile he managed them, coddled them, had their backs and they responded.  For whatever reason, in 2011 they abandoned him.  Not just the team, the fans and most importantly, management.  But, in my opinion, he left with dignity and the same class that he ran the team with.  Joe Buck even gave him an open forum the other day when he sat in for McCarver on the Fox broadcast.  But, Terry didn't waiver.  He kept his thoughts to himself and at least kept his thoughts away from the media. I hope he finds another great home and does great.

Theo has always been treated with kid gloves.  He has been considered a magician and super GM.  I'm not sure that many others with a similar baseball acumen and the unlimited budget that he had couldn't have done as well or better than he did.  The Sox had an immense group of talent the year before he came on board and quite frankly, his acquisitions have pretty much all been in question, even when the Sox were winning.  IMO, he did much better with the secondary signings.  The Bill Hall's of his era were very productive.  This year it was Aceves and Avila.  But again, he didn't make every decision alone, so he truly can't be praised or berated, exclusively.

Management has done some great things in Boston and for this team.  They didn't do it because they have been philanthropic, they obviously realized the financial benefits. However, it appears to me that they are totally avoiding the fans and maybe even the team right now and that's a bad thing!

If they have the class that they have often shown when this team was winning and winning and winning, (no intentional Charlie Sheen reference), they need to calm the waters now, by getting out in front of the fan base and explain a plan, even if they don't have all of the pieces yet.  I think it's important to get someone hired for both positions asap, so we can all have something positive to think about as we enter the free-agent times right after the series.

Now, the players.   When I was a kid, the Sox drafted me.  I was a low pick and really was a big fish in a small pond in my hometown.  Maybe I could have made it, but it was so far back, the players needed a job in the off season because the money was so small, so I just opted to get a job and move on. That being said, my desire to play baseball and my desire to play for the Sox was unreal!  It was something that to this day I think about and wonder how different my life could have been and I have no complaints about how things have turned out for me.

But, if all of this stuff is true and the players actually bailed on the season, I am horrified and truly disappointed. These overpaid kids have the best job on the planet.  They get paid stupid money to play a kids game! They get idolized by millions of people because they can throw a ball 100mph or hit 40 home runs.  All they have to do is be honest to the team and it's become quite apparent that the 2011 version of the Red Sox was not a team and it's imperative that someone find out why and find out quickly and let us know what they intend to do to fix it.

Was Francona at fault?  Maybe, maybe not.  Once you lose respect it's almost impossible to ever get it back.  But how did he lose it? Were there players that created the havoc or is this just a smear tactic to make it appear more justifiable to us that changes had to be made.  I reaaaalllllyy don't like Shaughnessy or Mazzerotti, as they are just usually trying to get under our skin, with outlandish, poorly written articles, so it's hard for me to just buy into this article about how bad things were in the dugout and clubhouse.

But if they were right, and it's uncommon for this stuff to take place, then who let it get so out of control and who were the primary offenders? Hopefully when this is finally addressed, some heads will roll!  I mean players heads as Tito is already out, as we all know.

The word "entitled" is very often taken advantage of when it comes to athletes.  They seem to think that their s**t doesn't stink because of all the adulation and special treatment that they get.  What that doesn't do is give them the authority to take advantage and in this case, if all of this is true, that's exactly what happened.  And, by taking advantage, many of these players have lost the respect of the fans and unless someone acknowledges that they made errors in judgement and that their actions may have hurt the team, we could all be in for several lousy summers over the next few years and I, for one would really hate that!

Are there players on this team to keep and others to get rid of, sure, but that's not going to change a bad culture. It's obvious that management can't ditch the majority of the team to start over, so where do you draw the line? What, other than performance can be used to determine how much crap someone puts up with? That's the tough part of being a Manager.  

So, IMO, this team needs a total change of direction.  That will start with the Manager.  Then it has to be an implied change in the GM and finally, it comes down to ownership.  Will these guys let the team be potentially lousy by getting rid of some highline players that have been a cancer?  I doubt it. But if what was written about Varitek, Wakefield, what we heard Papi say, and any other dirt that comes out soon, is true, then you ditch them immediately as they are not going to have the kind of impact they have had in the past and yes I include DO, even though I have had his back during the ups and downs of the past couple of years with his lousy starts and this years pretty impressive stats. 

I loved the 04 team!  Watching those guys play was re-living my childhood when baseball was played LIKE A GAME!  They had fun.  They had heart.  And they had a winning at all cost attitude.  That didn't come from Management, it came from them being a team!  I live in Tampa now and it's amazing how badly their team is appreciated.  These guys have talent, attitude and truely play to win.  I miss that and I fear that unless there is a really huge turnover in personel and motivation, we are going to be hard pressed to see it again for awhile. 

I know this was long, and I am sorry.  This team means so much to so many people that I thought it important to share my thoughts with those who live and die with this and all Boston teams.  I truly wish that the Globe, Ownership and the players would read some of these posts because there is heart here! There is motivation to offer help here.  There are true fans here.  Obviously not all, but for the majority, the stuff written here is well constructed and has justifiable points. 

So, these are my thoughts of the 2011 version of my home team.  My Red Sox.  My love of sport.  How this team is handled from this day forward will have such a huge impact on many peoples lives may be silly, but it's true. 

Based on that alone, how will it turn out? Not sure. In a perfect world, the players realize that they messed up and it's really mostly on them and they take ownership of those problems and offer fixes.  If Beckett or Lester or even Lackey were to come out and say, "You know what? I messed up! I took this group of guys and my coach and you fans for granted and I'm sorry."  I fully intend on coming to camp in the best shape that I have ever been in and I will make you have faith in me again! I promise"

That will get me back to appreciating what talent it takes to play this game.  That would immediately endear any player again to the fans.  So, I can only hope that we get some quick resolve to what became the "Nightmare on Yawkey Way."  Let's all hope that players are soul searching because of us.  The fans.

Just my thoughts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from boissroy. Show boissroy's posts

Yes David, Aceves probably should have started. Hey how is your foot doing? Where was your leadership in September? And how professional of you to scream about a small stat while your manager was in a press conference. You are showing your true colors David and many of us don't like the shade of greed and your self-serving actions. Maybe it's time to move on. Go to the Yankees. Go ahead. It is time for you to go and maybe you would be kind enough to take many other whiney millionaires with you. And when you leave maybe the ownership will sell the team to those who truly love the Sox and not placate to those players who can't and won't give 150%.....David we need dirt dog types and you have become a little fragile with no fangs and no desire to lead.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Papi: Not sure I want to stay here

Welcome aboard TampaGolfer. That was a nice thoughtful piece.

I'm reloacted here in Texas, and love my Sox too. They will be back next year... hopefully stronger and better, but I'm willing to take a step back to be even better in 2013.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

Well said TampaGolfer, well said!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmini. Show mrmini's posts

OK PAPI,, YOU DID YOUR THING BUT ITS TIME FOR YOU TO GO
    WITH THAT ATTITUDE. REMEMBER HOW YOU CLOG THE BASES WHEN YOU GET ON FIRST BASE. NEED THREE GOOD HITS TO GET YOU HOME AFTER YOU STUTTER STEP A LITTLE. OUR SPEED ON THE PATHS HAS TO GET BETTER SO HAT IS WHY
    YOU WILL NOT BE BACK. WE STILL HAVE YOUK, AGON, VERITEK, SALTY, THAT
    CAN CLOG THE BASES. THIS IS THE REASON WE LEAVE ALL THESE RUNNERS ON BASE. ADD YOUR NAME TO THE ABOVE ALONG WITH JD. TIME TO PURGE AS
    MANY AS POSSIBLE. THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES YOU WILL NEVER BE LOVED LIKE YOU WERE IN BOSTON.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaGolfer. Show TampaGolfer's posts

In Response to Re: Papi: Not sure I want to stay here:
    [QUOTE]Welcome aboard TampaGolfer. That was a nice thoughtful piece. I'm reloacted here in Texas, and love my Sox too. They will be back next year... hopefully stronger and better, but I'm willing to take a step back to be even better in 2013.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Thanx.  I appreciate that.  I too am willing to take a step back, my fear is that ownership won't think about that way. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

He is overpaid    by MLB standards as a DH... Had a 12.5 million dollar option picked up for this season..
    Hey Papi   how about  10 million for 1 and 18 million  (club option for 2) ?

He'll go home to the DR   and live large all winter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I saw the video interview, Oriz did say he was interested in the yanks and he wasn't sure if he wanted to come back to the sox.

For someone who claims to love sox fans he is acting pretty selfishly.  We have enough on our plates right now we don't need his turncoat comments.

He probably should find another team rather than return to the sox.  He doesn't have what it takes to be a clubhouse leader and he hasn't shown any loyalty towards sox fans.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: Papi: I"m not sure i want to stay here for this drama" and He would consider the Yankees cause they are right there and they know what to do.:
    [QUOTE]Don't see why you need to be raggin' on the yankees. yankees have an ex steroid user - sox have an ex steroid user. Yankee fans on this forum have been very quiet about the Sox problems. Make no mistake about it though, I like the yankees team as its currently constituted alot more than I do the Sox squad and pokin' at the yanks over age and steroid use seems kind of silly given the current circumstances. posted by pri360 You're serious right? I have been a Sox fan for over 55 years. In those 55 years I have seen some abominable Red Sox teams at the same time that the Yankees were reeling off 20 + World Championships. During that entire time, I (and everone else I know) was constantly ragging on the Yankees. Now that we have a small blip on the screen you want me to stop. Say, are you new in town? You know the monster didn't always have seats on top don't you? Ever hear of Tom Yawkey? Has anyone ever mentioned it snows here in the winter? Don't rag on the Yankees; that's like putting a Hungarian restaurant in the North End.
    Posted by mjnmjn[/QUOTE]
     I have seen and know all about all the things you speak of, and enjoy Taranta's on the north end; used to go to Boston regularly on business. It's just most yankee fans are practicing restraint in ragging on the Sox ........ but if you feel you must; go right ahead. As long as we're at it. the Yanks would have never have  paid 12m for Ortiz, we already were paying an ungodly sum for Posada. And I believe the Yanks will not have a true DH for a number of years with Arod and Jeter needing regular rests. Lastly, the yanks have not fielded alpayer that overweight in years, probably Joba Chamberlain comes the closest, but he didn't have to run bases; apparently Ortiz doesn't either. I'd venture to say the Yankees want nothing to do with Ortiz. I;m not so sure this is a smal blip on the radar screen. You're locked into too many players who consistently underperform.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Ortiz should be part of the housecleaning. Can't see why the Yanks would want him with Fielder avaiable, but I'd thank him for past services and wish him well wherever he lands.