PAPI OR "LAV" AT DH TONIGHT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

PAPI OR "LAV" AT DH TONIGHT

Now that Papi has been cleared by the medical staff to play starting with the game tonight against the Rangers, who should DH tonight?  Papi or "Lav"?  I'm sure that Francona will have Papi as the DH tonight, but with Harrison, a lefty, pitching tonight and having a pretty good season thus far, would you have "Lav" as the DH tonight?  All "Lav" has done (so far) is a BA or .318, OBP of .423, and SLG of .409.  Tough call I think, but being Papi's 1st game back after not playing for awhile, and maybe being a little rusty, I think that I would start "Lav".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Re: PAPI OR "LAV" AT DH TONIGHT

Start Lav.  It's on national Tv and I haven't had a chance to see him play.  A little selfish, but who cares?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Is Big Papi healthy? The heel isn't suddenly going to be better. It will come back, the heel "bursitis" and he will shake his head as he's never had this before. Once he learns it is going to be a chronic condition, maybe he won't miss 2 weeks in the heat of a pennant race as a designated hitter in a contract year. Or he will go on the DL as our medical staff for the Sox makes sure that the players are 100 percent a-ok before they hit that field. Hit Lavarnway, he's tall, and he's healthy.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

If Papi's healthy, he starts. That's pretty easy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Why the nickname "LAV"? According to the dictionary, lav is a plumbing fixture for defecation and urination.

I'll go with Papi.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In Response to Re: PAPI OR "LAV" AT DH TONIGHT:
    [QUOTE]Why the nickname "LAV"? According to the dictionary, lav is a plumbing fixture for defecation and urination. I'll go with Papi.
    Posted by playball01[/QUOTE]

LOL.....just my saying......GO SOX AND "LAV"!Smile

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

wild horses couldn't keep big papi outta the line up tonight!
    Let's hope that the other big texan also likes to pitch in the heat!
    GO SOX!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Unbelievable all the abuse Papi has taken here since he went out with the bursitis.  Hmm, maybe Softy was right ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]If Papi's healthy, he starts. That's pretty easy.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

especially with the easily predictable 'cona.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

If Lavarnway is going to be sitting 99% of the time, now that Papi is back, he should be returned to Pawtucket.
    Why should he rot on the bench and hit on a very limited basis? Nobody develops on the bench.
    Let Ryan work on his defense, so he can have an impact in 2012. I love this kid's poise and plate discipline.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]If Lavarnway is going to be sitting 99% of the time, now that Papi is back, he should be returned to Pawtucket. Why should he rot on the bench and hit on a very limited basis? Nobody develops on the bench. Let Ryan work on his defense, so he can have an impact in 2012. I love this kid's poise and plate discipline.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%..If hes not going to get plenty of AB's, then send him back..He'll be back in Sept anyway..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to PAPI OR "LAV" AT DH TONIGHT:
    [QUOTE]Now that Papi has been cleared by the medical staff to play starting with the game tonight against the Rangers, who should DH tonight?  Papi or "Lav"?  I'm sure that Francona will have Papi as the DH tonight, but with Harrison, a lefty, pitching tonight and having a pretty good season thus far, would you have "Lav" as the DH tonight?  All "Lav" has done (so far) is a BA or .318, OBP of .423, and SLG of .409.  Tough call I think, but being Papi's 1st game back after not playing for awhile, and maybe being a little rusty, I think that I would start "Lav".
    Posted by lucbom[/QUOTE]  I LIKE LAV FOR TONIGHT AND BEYOND !!!  GOSH, HE LOOKS LIKE A  ML HITTER AND A THINKER TOO !!!!  NEXT YEARS  D H FOR SURE !!!!   THEO & I WILL TAKE CARE OF THIS !!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to PAPI OR "LAV" AT DH TONIGHT :   I LIKE LAV FOR TONIGHT AND BEYOND !!!  GOSH, HE LOOKS LIKE A  ML HITTER AND A THINKER TOO !!!!  NEXT YEARS  D H FOR SURE !!!!   THEO & I WILL TAKE CARE OF THIS !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Great Post. Every clubhouse needs at least one "Lav".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

All reason and common sense has gone out the window. You want a still-wet-behind-the-ears rookie to start in place of David Ortiz?
    Remarkable!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lavarnway belongs in Pawtucket if he isn't going to get playing time.  However if he does stay, I wouldn't mind seeing them throw him behind the plate in a game in which the Sox have a commanding lead....but that's neither here nor there.

I've been following Lavarnway for two years now and have been very excited with what he has done, he's has by no means struggled with MLB pitching and he started the year in Portland.  But Ortiz is the one who will DH going forward this year.

Is it possible he is on the post season roster?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to PAPI OR "LAV" AT DH TONIGHT :   I LIKE LAV FOR TONIGHT AND BEYOND !!!  GOSH, HE LOOKS LIKE A  ML HITTER AND A THINKER TOO !!!!  NEXT YEARS  D H FOR SURE !!!!   THEO & I WILL TAKE CARE OF THIS !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

you'd better hurry bill; i'm hoping theo won't be here much longer.

he'll be heading to chicago to turn the cubs around.lol!

let's see if the cubs' owners can cover theo's blunders the same way as john henry has.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PAPI OR "LAV" AT DH TONIGHT : you'd better hurry bill; i'm hoping theo won't be here much longer. he'll be heading to chicago to turn the cubs around.lol! hopefully, the cubs' owner can cover theo's blunders the same way as john henry has.
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]  AND I WILL BE HIS RIGHT HAND MAN !!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

If Ortiz thinks he can play he should ... end of story.  For those saying Lavarnway should go back to Pawtucket if he isn't going to play most games, consider this:
    1 - It's only a week until he'd be called up again anyway
    2 - Even if he is "on the bench" he is getting valuable learning time with Tek, Tuck, Salty, and the rest of the team
    3 - If you fly him back to Pawtucket and Ortiz comes up hobbling in a game what are you going to do?
    4 - Did I mention it's only a week

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

Tek will sign a multi-year "personal services" contract after the season.
     Papi will sign a one year contract, with a mutual option for year 2.
    Ryan Lavanway will be the Pawtuctet catcher until he is called up in June, then will take over for tek who will become a coach.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]If Ortiz thinks he can play he should ... end of story.  For those saying Lavarnway should go back to Pawtucket if he isn't going to play most games, consider this: 1 - It's only a week until he'd be called up again anyway 2 - Even if he is "on the bench" he is getting valuable learning time with Tek, Tuck, Salty, and the rest of the team 3 - If you fly him back to Pawtucket and Ortiz comes up hobbling in a game what are you going to do? 4 - Did I mention it's only a week
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

your right, I didnt realize the date..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Southpaw - Sadly, the summer has almost slipped by us already.  At least we have playoff baseball to cushion the blow :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Now, I would be all in favor of putting Lavarnway in LF in place of Crawford against LHP.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pierreisme. Show pierreisme's posts

[QUOTE]If Ortiz thinks he can play he should ... end of story.  For those saying Lavarnway should go back to Pawtucket if he isn't going to play most games, consider this: 1 - It's only a week until he'd be called up again anyway 2 - Even if he is "on the bench" he is getting valuable learning time with Tek, Tuck, Salty, and the rest of the team 3 - If you fly him back to Pawtucket and Ortiz comes up hobbling in a game what are you going to do? 4 - Did I mention it's only a week
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

It may be longer than a week since Pawtucket will be in the playoffs this yr. If Ortiz does come up hobbling in any game Lavarnway can be called up right away in case of said injury. Personally I like the idea of keeping Lavarnway up here so he can keep on working with Tucker, get better defensively and work with Tek and Salty on calling games, but I can see the argument for letting Lavarnway go back to AAA and gain playoff experience before the invetiable call up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

I said a week based upon roster expansion, not the end of Pawtucket's season.  I don't see the FO keeping him in AAA to play in the IL playoffs if they think he might be able to provide even an iota of help to the Sox.  But I could be, and have often been, wrong.