Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox

In Response to Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]I'm glad we have Papi in our line-up. I can't imagine it without him. I am hoping one thing returns:  his walk-off hits.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

well Moon, thats what he is being paid for...but didnt see a whole lot of that the past few years...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]i would take pedroia, ells, agon, cano, tex, grandy,and a crippled youk/arod before Papi... thats eight right there... pujols? fielder? howard? im not the one who said he was a top 8 hitter in mlb...just silly he is not bad for a one-dimensional player at 37...thats about it...he is getting a golden goodbye kiss from Ben/JHenry thats for sure
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

He was 8th in the majors in OPS, that's a fact. 

A-Rod was lousy last year, look it up.

A-Gon was absolutely awful against the Yankees and Rays last year-where is the scrutiny on his 'clutch' performance?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]i would take pedroia, ells, agon, cano, tex, grandy,and a crippled youk/arod before Papi... thats eight right there... pujols? fielder? howard? im not the one who said he was a top 8 hitter in mlb...just silly he is not bad for a one-dimensional player at 37...thats about it...he is getting a golden goodbye kiss from Ben/JHenry thats for sure

Haha, actually that's NOT 8 right there. You'd take Teixeira over Ortiz right now? Did you watch any Yankee games last year? I won't say Tex can't rebound, but as of right now his swing is a mess.

As for Ellsbury and Pedroia, I would take them over Ortiz if I needed a baserunner, but if I needed a HR or an RBI with two outs, it would be Ortiz without any doubt.

And why don't you just keep a gem of a piece of evidence like "not recalling" Ortiz having many clutch RBIs last year to yourself...that's about as valuable as a sneeze in an intellectual discussion. Facts, please!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Granderson hit .188 against the Red Sox and .203 against the Rays.  Hey, there's another guy who fattened up against the bad teams. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox : top 8? cmon...i can think of 8 guys on the yankees and red sox who i would put up at the plate before ortiz at this point of his career....he is not worth 14 million...that salary is a sin for a team supposedly concerned with the luxury tax... Posted by georom4[/QUOTE] He also makes a heck of a lot less money than Texeira, Arod and Crawford, and he had a better year than all 3 of them...and those 3 guys didn't provide some of the greatest moments in the history of their respective franchises...You spew nonsense about one of the most successful managers in team history, about a pitcher who led this team two one of 2 Championships over the last 96 years, and now about a guy who is a Boston icon...what exactly is good enough for you, or are you just a miserable human being?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brown615. Show Brown615's posts

I personnally think there are a lot of dummies out there (for lack of using the correct word or words).  Where do you replace David's bat and his attitude?  Even for what he signed for?  Were the Sox going to bid on Fielder or Pujols?  No, I don't think so!  Yes, he is getting older, and he has slumps, but, I can't find a guy that does not try harder to acheive.  And, at the end of the year, his numbers are good if not better than that.  One can not program the year, it is what it is every year.  Very few guys in history are always perfect.  To use an old joke, if Teddy were still alive, he'd only get 5 mil a year; of course, he'd be in his nineties.  Am I going to complain that Gonzo slumped some in 2011? Probably ought to get rid of him as well?!? Again, No, I don't think so!  Watch the games; when the Sox do a neat thing, walkoff or great defensive play to win, Papi and Gonzo are right out front to beatup the hero.  That is needed on the team!!  I think at times David gives an impression that he is self-centered, but I am convinced that it is that great Latino blood that takes everything at heart.  I think he is a winner and his greatest desire is for the team to win - which he has helped do twice.  I'm 67, I waited a long time.  David is one of our winners and will continue to be!  I hope they work out a 2 year deal!  To the neasayers, up-yours; strong letter to follow!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

I'm glad it's only 1 year.

You lobbied for a 2 year deal. I lobbied for a one year deal, for less money in 2012 but a team buyout and player opt out that would have made the guarantee payout about 14 million.

Ortiz is likely to decline for 2012, so this shold be his final year. He should retire, as there will not be any Tim Wastefield welfare contracts.

I'm glad Wakefield is only zero year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox:
    I'm glad we have Papi in our line-up. I can't imagine it without him. I am hoping one thing returns:  his walk-off hits.
    Posted by moonslav59

well Moon, thats what he is being paid for...but didnt see a whole lot of that the past few years...

I agree. It's been about 3-4 years now. 

We need to see the "old Papi" again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Expensive roll of the dice for a player that conceivably could have been let go two years ago - replacing 28/95 is easy to do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to  Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox : I'm glad we have Papi in our line-up. I can't imagine it without him. I am hoping one thing returns:  his walk-off hits. Posted by moonslav59 well Moon, thats what he is being paid for...but didnt see a whole lot of that the past few years... I agree. It's been about 3-4 years now.  We need to see the "old Papi" again.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

And indeed you will because Ortiz is actually old. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox : Haha, actually that's NOT 8 right there. You'd take Teixeira over Ortiz right now? Did you watch any Yankee games last year? I won't say Tex can't rebound, but as of right now his swing is a mess. As for Ellsbury and Pedroia, I would take them over Ortiz if I needed a baserunner , but if I needed a HR or an RBI with two outs, it would be Ortiz without any doubt. And why don't you just keep a gem of a piece of evidence like "not recalling" Ortiz having many clutch RBIs last year to yourself...that's about as valuable as a sneeze in an intellectual discussion. Facts, please!
    Posted by redsoxu571[/QUOTE]

Geo doesn't do facts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

We need to see the "old Papi" again.

The old Papi has been pretty good, the last few years. Older and in decline, but still pretty good. Let us hope we never see the old Tim Wastefield again, ever!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Expensive roll of the dice for a player that conceivably could have been let go two years ago - replacing 28/95 is easy to do.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

No it isn't.  Look at the players who put up those numbers last year, how many were available this year and how much money they'll be making.  Not easy to replace at all. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

His numbers are soft like Becketts era.... imo. Just an opinion. He does not instill fear in anyone and should be paid less..... I will go with 27/92 and a .265, that is about all the stats I can handle  Embarassed

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]break down the homers and tell me who they were against and against which pitchers.  Tell me how many of his homers actually  made a difference in the outcome of the game. a lot of his homers came when the sox were either up or down by several or more runs, thus eliminating pressure. no problem, the ortiz lovers are having their day and will be on a fourn roll until opening day.  I will have may day the first time he goes 2 for 20.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]
    Another Softy clone? Pick a player, any player and do nothing but post negative comments, call for a trade, a waiver, anything, then be wrong and continue to post negative comments for years until the player retires, then say "I told you so"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

I do believe this will be Papi's last year.  While he is not likely to produce at 2003-07 levels, it would not be surprising if he had 25 HR, 90 RBI and .285 average.  Ok numbers but certainly not worth $15 million!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]I do believe this will be Papi's last year.  While he is not likely to produce at 2003-07 levels, it would not be surprising if he had 25 HR, 90 RBI and .285 average.  Ok numbers but certainly not worth $15 million!
    Posted by RS75[/QUOTE]

i would take that....but youre right, not a lot of value for the money...sorry if that upsets the bootlickers

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Fear not.    Expect Ortiz to start bellyaching about a new 2-year deal sometime in July and say the team doesn't appreciate him.
    He's delusional enough to think he can get around a fastball until he's 46 years old.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]I do believe this will be Papi's last year.  While he is not likely to produce at 2003-07 levels, it would not be surprising if he had 25 HR, 90 RBI and .285 average.  Ok numbers but certainly not worth $15 million!
    Posted by RS75[/QUOTE]

How many free agents earn their contracts?

By definition, free agents are overpaid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

In truth, $14MM is a lot of money for a star on the decline that I'm happy to see went to Ortiz this year and not some younger talent.That being said, I speak for many Yankee fans that will be freakin' glad to get that guy out of the lineup. Yea, he started waving at more lefty breaking balls but no one here would mind having him as the lefty DH in the Stadium, even now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NunciRom. Show NunciRom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox : i would take that....but youre right, not a lot of value for the money...sorry if that upsets the bootlickers

Hey my pison, what are we gonna do with all of these bootlickers?

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox : Hey my pison, what are we gonna do with all of these bootlickers?
    The beer chugging and chicken eating fat slob who doesn't care about his teammates has to go. Show him the door.
    Posted by NunciRom[/QUOTE]

Which slob are you referring to...is it yourself?
    Last I checked, nobody reported Ortiz as being part of the "beer and fried chicken" crowd.
    And how are you so sure that Ortiz doesn't care about his teammates? Most evidence points to the exact opposite...

25. This post has been removed.