Patience

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Patience

Since 2000, the Red Sox have lead baseball in pitches per plate appearence 6 times. And they have had their share of success offensively during that time. The Oakland A's have lead baseball in PPA 4 times during the same stretch. The A's made the playoffs "ALL" 4 seasons, including last year when they lead baseball at 3.98 PPA. The only team I can find to best that number was Boston in 2010 at 4.02. Not sure if 4.02 is the all time record, but it might be.

Here are the likely top 11 Red Sox hitters in PPA from last year...

Napoli-4.43
    Drew--4.28
    Ross-4.25
    Nava--4.07
    Saltalamacchia--4.06
    Gomes--4.05
    Pedroia--3.97
    Ortiz--3.91
    Ellsbury--3.89
    Middlebrooks--3.88
    Victorino--3.69

If they all get the same amount of at bats, that would be an average PPA of 4.04. And if Papi and Pedey decide to revert to their patience of 2010 of 4.33 and 4.37, the numbers jump to 4.12. Add in Mauro Gomez[4.05] and Lavarnway[4.07]. And although Kalish's numbers last year stunk[3.61], he was great when healthy in 2010[4.16]. Only Ciriaco[3.47] and Iglesias[3.48] are weak links. But they might not play much at all.

Taking pitches is going to wear on our opponents pitching staffs. With no easy outs 1-9. It isn't just getting starters out early and wearing out bullpens. Its also psychological . Pitchers will know coming in they are in for a long day. One long at bat can screw a pitcher up. One long inning can screw a pitcher up.

I think adding Napoli, Ross, and Drew are no coincidence. This seems to be a strategy. And a winning one at that. This teams offense is going to be much better then people think.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Patience

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Since 2000, the Red Sox have lead baseball in pitches per plate appearence 6 times. And they have had their share of success offensively during that time. The Oakland A's have lead baseball in PPA 4 times during the same stretch. The A's made the playoffs "ALL" 4 seasons, including last year when they lead baseball at 3.98 PPA. The only team I can find to best that number was Boston in 2010 at 4.02. Not sure if 4.02 is the all time record, but it might be.

Here are the likely top 11 Red Sox hitters in PPA from last year...

Napoli-4.43
    Drew--4.28
    Ross-4.25
    Nava--4.07
    Saltalamacchia--4.06
    Gomes--4.05
    Pedroia--3.97
    Ortiz--3.91
    Ellsbury--3.89
    Middlebrooks--3.88
    Victorino--3.69

If they all get the same amount of at bats, that would be an average PPA of 4.04. And if Papi and Pedey decide to revert to their patience of 2010 of 4.33 and 4.37, the numbers jump to 4.12. Add in Mauro Gomez[4.05] and Lavarnway[4.07]. And although Kalish's numbers last year stunk[3.61], he was great when healthy in 2010[4.16]. Only Ciriaco[3.47] and Iglesias[3.48] are weak links. But they might not play much at all.

Taking pitches is going to wear on our opponents pitching staffs. With no easy outs 1-9. It isn't just getting starters out early and wearing out bullpens. Its also psychological . Pitchers will know coming in they are in for a long day. One long at bat can screw a pitcher up. One long inning can screw a pitcher up.

I think adding Napoli, Ross, and Drew are no coincidence. This seems to be a strategy. And a winning one at that. This teams offense is going to be much better then people think.

[/QUOTE]

Good post.  I agree.  Seems like they at times got a bit rushed at the plae last year.  When the Sox were at their strongest a few years back Tito was VERY adament that they take as many pitches as possible.  The strategy often worked as the starter would rarely go over 5-6 innings.  That was one of the things I always liked about Youk.....say what you want but the guy knew how to take a pitch and pitchers HATED pitching to him!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Very interesting.

Also of note, the A's lead the league last year with a few former Sox hitters - Crisp, Reddick, Moss, Kottaras.

Also, my suggestion of Seth Smith as a platoon LF would fit into this strategy with his 4.12PPA

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also, my suggestion of Seth Smith as a platoon LF would fit into this strategy with his 4.12PPA

[/QUOTE]

Considering the former Angel with the bad hip, I am starting to think the team might keep Salt and use Napoli almost exclusively at 1B, leaving 1B no longer needed. So Mr. Smith seems just jolie as the OF addition. 

Only problem is we would have to trade with Brad Pitt again.