Phil Hughes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Phil Hughes

How about Hughes as an under the radar bullpen addition? Wasn't he pretty solid when the Yanks used him a set up man? I wonder if he could be had on a reasonable contract. Buy low?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: Phil Hughes

Such a move would require a manipulation of the 40 man roster which I doubt that the Sox will do until at least after the Rule 5 draft on December 5th as they will not want to expose one of the guys they just added.

If they could get Hughes cheaply enough and thought that he would have been better than Badenhop they probably already would have him under contract.

Hughes may end up signing a minor league contract, and it that happens the Sox could become more interested.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Not a good fit for Fenway, with all the homeruns he gives up. He's better suited for a pitchers park. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not a good fit for Fenway, with all the homeruns he gives up. He's better suited for a pitchers park. 

[/QUOTE]

or retirement. he's a bum.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to tripleb2066's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about Hughes as an under the radar bullpen addition? Wasn't he pretty solid when the Yanks used him a set up man? I wonder if he could be had on a reasonable contract. Buy low?

[/QUOTE]

He likely wouldn't take a BP job.  And he will get paid real money by someone.  Bad 2013, but a #3 type in 2012.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to tripleb2066's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yup in 09 he had a very good yr in the pen

I think he should and will get a fresh chance at starting somewhere

doesn't mean much but just 4 ha ha's

29 yr old hughes career 454 era 132 whip

30 yr old vargas career  430 era 132 whip

Royals have signed thirty year-old southpaw Jason Vargas to a four year $32 million deal.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/vargaja01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hugheph01.shtml

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

hes a flyball pitcher that does not do well in fenway and some of the smaller ALE parks. Better suited for Citi Field, Petco, etc...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He is not looking for bullpen work or bullpen money, and will not have to settle for it...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Hahahahahahahahahahaha......breathe.......hahahahahahahaha....etc.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, Hughes remains a great fit for the Yankees.....from  a Red Sox perspective. I hope he and Slappy stay there for ever and ever and ever......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"On the other hand, Hughes remains a great fit for the Yankees.....from  a Red Sox perspective. I hope he and Slappy stay there for ever and ever and ever......"

Ha true. As a Sox fan I love seeing Hughes on the mound - for the other team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Hughes is a good pitcher ... if they bring back Forbes Field, the Astrodome, the old Boston Braves park (South End Grounds) , the old RS park (Huntington Grounds) or the OLD YS, less the short porch, for him to pitch in.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If the Sox are planning on adding anymore pitching the guyi would concentrate on is Tanaka. The rest are just pieces, he's a division changer. Think of the Felix and you have the comparison. Also by winning the bidding when it finally takes place also keeps the billionaires club from getting better! Right now the odds on favorites to win the bidding war, the Yankees and the Los Angeles Red Sox, If he has to land somewheres other than Boston I'm rooting for our West coast affiliate! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Hughes RH flyball pitcher in Yankee band box was not a good fit. Some team looking for a possible cheap 3-4 guy in a pitchers park might get a good find. Media was brutal on him in NY a change of scenery might just be the right thing for him. Are the Padres listening?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Hughes will likely sign a deal with a team tThat will give him a shot to be part of the rotation coming out of camp...of which there are at least a dozen teams in need of a quality back of the rotation starter...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Hughes will likely sign a deal with a team tThat will give him a shot to be part of the rotation coming out of camp...of which there are at least a dozen teams in need of a quality back of the rotation starter...

agreed

Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that the Marlins are showing interest in Phil Hughes.

Hughes is coming off a disappointing 2013 season, having put up a 5.19 ERA over 145 2/3 innings for the Yankees. The potential is there, though, and he would be a nice rebound candidate in the National League and in a pitcher's park. The Mets, Royals and Twins are also known to have inquired on the right-hander. Source: Miami Herald Nov 24 - 9:40 AM

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hughes RH flyball pitcher in Yankee band box was not a good fit. Some team looking for a possible cheap 3-4 guy in a pitchers park might get a good find. Media was brutal on him in NY a change of scenery might just be the right thing for him. Are the Padres listening?

[/QUOTE]

I too think a change of scenery could help the kid overcome some of his issues. End of the day commanding his fastball has been his biggest hurdle...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] agree, they could be a fit..a pitcher's park..and he's a Cali kid