Phils sign Hamels to 6/144!!!! That's seems fairly moronic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Phils sign Hamels to 6/144!!!! That's seems fairly moronic

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-phillies-hamels-agree-135230230--mlb.html

He is now the SECOND HIGHEST PAID PITCHER IN BASEBALL!

I don't know where, exactly, I'd rank him, but it sure as h e l l wouldn't be second. Or in the Top 5. Possibly not in the Top 10.

They're going to be paying him 24 million dollars when he's 36.

I mean, he's a good pitcher and all...I just don't see it. For a team that went out and got Halladay AND Lee because Hamels wasn't a true 'ace', and then to plunk down this kind of cash. Wow. Real head scratcher for me.

24 million. A year. For 6 years. STARTING when he's 30.

I can't wrap my head around this, I simply can't. MAYBE you overpay someone ELSE'S FA that much....but to re-uo your own guy at that cost? Wow, I want to see the dirt he has on upper management. It must be extensive.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Phils sign Hamels to 6/144!!!! That's seems fairly moronic

One less pitcher on the deadline market.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's crazy money but it's the current market rate for ace pitchers.  Didn't shock me in the least.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

They overpaid Papelbon last season.  Agree that it doesn't make sense to pay Hamels this much.  I always liked Hamels but he isn't worth what he is being paid.  They are currently in last place in their division and needed to spend this money somewhere else to improve this team. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

This is above the going rate. He's NOT an ace, as proven by PHI going and getting 2 others.

The going rate, on the market, is roughly 1 million per win. Going by that standard, Hamels is worth no more than 15 per season.

This is a gross overpayment along the lines of Crawford: too many years AND too much money per year. I could see about 18 per, but 24?!

In no way should Hamels be the second highest paid pitcher in baseball. No. Flipping. Way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Phils sign Hamels to 6/144!!!! That's seems fairly moronic:
    [QUOTE]This is above the going rate. He's NOT an ace, as proven by PHI going and getting 2 others. The going rate, on the market, is roughly 1 million per win. Going by that standard, Hamels is worth no more than 15 per season. This is a gross overpayment along the lines of Crawford: too many years AND too much money per year. I could see about 18 per, but 24?! In no way should Hamels be the second highest paid pitcher in baseball. No. Flipping. Way.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE] agree..but better them than you..no ??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Phillies seem to be getting themselves into a mess with high priced players.

I figured Hammels would get what Lee got so this seems like a bit much. 

On the one hand he's been great except for one year but on the other hand he's never won 20 games.  If you look at contracts for pitchers w/o a 16 game win season, his contract must be the largest ever by at least 10 times......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]Phillies seem to be getting themselves into a mess with high priced players. I figured Hammels would get what Lee got so this seems like a bit much.  On the one hand he's been great except for one year but on the other hand he's never won 20 games.  If you look at contracts for pitchers w/o a 16 game win season, his contract must be the largest ever by at least 10 times......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE] AM, do you think it's the market period, or does the "teams still covet LH's" theory fall in there somplace?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Phils sign Hamels to 6/144!!!! That's seems fairly moronic : agree..but better them than you..no ??
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Amen.  Can you just imagine the sh-tstorm on this board if the Sox traded for Hamels and gave him that kind of contract.  I think Bill's head might explode...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Phils sign Hamels to 6/144!!!! That's seems fairly moronic : Amen.  Can you just imagine the sh-tstorm on this board if the Sox traded for Hamels and gave him that kind of contract.  I think Bill's head might explode...
    Posted by Yukon-Cornelius[/QUOTE] no doubt YC, plus given the current fallout on Crawford, the media may have Hamels almost needing to pitched a near shutout each time out there...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Too much money , and too long a contract. They never learn.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

All of Hamels's numbers are very good.  He's been consistent.  He's been durable.  His postseason numbers are excellent. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]All of Hamels's numbers are very good.  He's been consistent.  He's been durable.  His postseason numbers are excellent. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Very good = 150 million ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]Good, a generic fault of GMs in MLB is exposed. FAs are paid too much money and it is extremely risky to pay such $$$ to pitchers. This is great since one would think, by reading this forum, that only Red Sox GMs do this. 2000 threads bashing Theo and BC and very few about Cashman.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE] pike, just speaking by and large here, but doesn't said threads pertain to the Sox??...now granted, that many threads and the bashing is a bit much, but they are from Sox fans...what are that many threads bashing Cashman going to accomplish?...they're not your contracts...lord knows a lot of Cash's stuff should be bashed(and is) but imo, unless it's directly related to a Yanks/Sox discussion...that many Cashman bashes doesn't make sense on a Sox board... Edit..since this one is about the Phils..i guess a Cashman bash could be fair game

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]All of Hamels's numbers are very good.  He's been consistent.  He's been durable.  His postseason numbers are excellent. 

Yes and it was well known that only 3 years earlier the team traded for Halliday because they knew Hamles was not going to be  a #1.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Phils sign Hamels to 6/144!!!! That's seems fairly moronic : Very good = 150 million ?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

It's 6 years at 24 million.  The guaranteed value on Cliff Lee's contract is 5 years 120 million, so it also averages 24 million.  And Lee turned down higher offers!

Hamels has better numbers than Lee aside from the counting numbers.

In a world gone mad, this is market value money for Hamels.  He would have gotten that much at least in free agency.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Phils sign Hamels to 6/144!!!! That's seems fairly moronic : Yes and it was well known that only 3 years earlier the team traded for Halliday because they knew Hamles was not going to be  a #1.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

Well, he's certainly been their #1 this year.  That's why they had to cough it up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Phils sign Hamels to 6/144!!!! That's seems fairly moronic : It's 6 years at 24 million.  The guaranteed value on Cliff Lee's contract is 5 years 120 million, so it also averages 24 million.  And Lee turned down higher offers! Hamels has better numbers than Lee aside from the counting numbers. In a world gone mad, this is market value money for Hamels.  He would have gotten that much at least in free agency.

There's no doubt that the way he pitched this year he would have earned himself a 100 million dollar contract but we are talking about a guy pitching for one of the best teams in baseball who has never won even 16 games and he award 144 million....seems a little high and risky for me is all.....Phillies now have to dump other salaries - they are quickly becoming the Red Sox!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Phils sign Hamels to 6/144!!!! That's seems fairly moronic : There's no doubt that the way he pitched this year he would have earned himself a 100 million dollar contract but we are talking about a guy pitching for one of the best teams in baseball who has never won even 16 games and he award 144 million....seems a little high and risky for me is all.....Phillies now have to dump other salaries - they are quickly becoming the Red Sox!

Wins just don't mean that much any more.  When Cliff Lee was belle of the ball, had the Yankees, Rangers and Phillies after him and got his big payday, he was coming off a season in which he won 12 games!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Phils sign Hamels to 6/144!!!! That's seems fairly moronic : Wins just don't mean that much any more.  When Cliff Lee was belle of the ball, had the Yankees, Rangers and Phillies after him and got his big payday, he was coming off a season in which he won 12 games!

not a good comparison

Lee had pitched for weaker teams PLUS had WON 22 games one year......and never pitched poorly in the playoffs (yes, Cole got ROCKED in the 2009 post season).....

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Phils sign Hamels to 6/144!!!! That's seems fairly moronic : No, imo the thread title and OP is generic. It does not at all pertain to the Red Sox. The Hamels contract should be discussed compared in relation to all other similar contracts in MLB. It should be compared to similar contracts whether they be on the Yankees, Angels, Didgers, or Braves. My point is , discuss it as if you are a generic MLB fan and leave out Theo, Duquette, or Cherrington.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE] OK, that's fair to say...thanks!!..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Phils sign Hamels to 6/144!!!! That's seems fairly moronic : not a good comparison Lee had pitched for weaker teams PLUS had WON 22 games one year......and never pitched poorly in the playoffs (yes, Cole got ROCKED in the 2009 post season).....

Hamels's win totals seem to be the product of bad luck.

227 innings
    3.09 ERA
    14 wins

208 innings
    3.06 ERA
    12 wins

216 innings
    2.79 ERA
    14 wins

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Phils sign Hamels to 6/144!!!! That's seems fairly moronic : Hamels's win totals seem to be the product of bad luck. 2008 227 innings 3.09 ERA 14 wins 2010 208 innings 3.06 ERA 12 wins 2011 216 innings 2.79 ERA 14 wins

not buying that

the better arguement is that he will win about 18 this year.........