Pitching + a left/right middle combo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Pitching + a left/right middle combo

Pitching may be 80% of this game, but no too many teams have gone all the way (or close) without that great one/two, Left/right power combo in the middle of the lineup. Right from Ruth/Gehrig to Ortiz/Manny. Hard to score a lot of runs with them!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Pitching + a left/right middle combo

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pitching may be 80% of this game, but no too many teams have gone all the way (or close) without that great one/two, Left/right power combo in the middle of the lineup. Right from Ruth/Gehrig to Ortiz/Manny. Hard to score a lot of runs with them!

[/QUOTE]

Ruth and Gehrig were both lefties.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Yes, they were; and Cronin and Foxx were both righties. Ruth and Gehrig both hit lefties as well as most of today's right handed hitters do. Point is, two RBI guys in the middle of the lineup. Right now we see Ross and Salty. Doesn't have to be r/L, but Ruth and Gehrigs don't exist any more. I could also point out, that the slider has done more to bring about lefties vs right handers, etc, than anything else. Had Ortiz and Middlebrooks been available these past several weeks, we would not be about to finish dead last in the division. Ortiz is OK vs lefties, this year, but Middlebrooks needs a lot of work in order to hit .300 against RH pitching. But, I guarantee he will, I also look for hime to be a .320--40---130 hitter by 2014. But he's going to need help.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While Gehrig was near 1.000 vs LH'd starters (OPS), he was 130 points better vs RHPs... about the same differential Salty has over his career and a higher differential than Cody's career splits between Lh'd and Rh'd staring pitchers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Well, they'd better darn well give Ortiz 2 years because, if they don't, the Yankees will. I don't think the Yankees will want to go into 1913 with a DH du jour. They'll outbid the RS for Big Papi if it comes down to that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Yanks need the DH slot to park ARod and Jete.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Red Sox offense was great tonight, zero. Red Sox pitching was terrible, giving up 2 runs.

The pitching was good. I wouldn't call giving up 2 runs terrible.   You can't win games if you can't score any runs.  The Red Sox have a very weak offense currently without Ortiz, Middlebrooks and Pedroia.  Not sure but he will probably be playing tonight. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Middlebrooks could give you 25hr as well as salty and papi can give you 30+. Ross can provide 20-25 and Pedey can hit 20. Thats 5 of 9 that can give you over 20 dingers a year and one who can give you 30+. I understand the 1-2 punch thing, but I also like the fact that 2/3 of the lineup can provide some power instead of just 2 guys.

Guys like Bryce Brentz, whos in AAA right now, can also provide 20+ HR power upon his arrival. IOd Bogaerts is up in the next year or 2, hes another 20+ HR guy.

If the Sox resign papi and Ross and go out and get a guy like Torii Hunter on a 1-2 yr deal for about 8mm per, that could add another 20 HR to the list as well as great leadership. His numbers have pretty much remained the same throughout his career and even this year. IMO, hes still got another year or 2 left.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

Well, they'd better darn well give Ortiz 2 years because, if they don't, the Yankees will. I don't think the Yankees will want to go into 1913 with a DH du jour. They'll outbid the RS for Big Papi if it comes down to that.

[/QUOTE]

1913?????????????? ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1913?????????????? ;)

[/QUOTE]

Well, what can you expect from an 87 year old guy with one eye?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

get a guy like Torii Hunter on a 1-2 yr deal for about 8mm per, that could add another 20 HR to the list as well as great leadership

Hunter is washed up. He's also a racist. When the Red Sox can acquire Justin Upton, get rid of Ellsbury, sign Ross, and not spend a dime more for 2013, they don't need to give old man career loser Hunter 8 million a year to add to his fortune that he's already in retirement mode with.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah....309 avg and .360 Obp is washed up...Once again you prove that you know nothing about baseball..

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We'll just have to wait and see on Brentz...Youve been wrong about a number of our "kids" as well as a number of players. Like your thoughts and opinions hold water with anyone on this forum...Your on a lonley island softnut.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

My projection for Brentz was a 20-25 hr guy with the possibility of 30 a couple times. yeah, Ill take that with about a .280avg and a .350 OBP...Thats hardly BU 4th OF profile, as you say...

Yeah, and Ells with his reverse-pivot swing...How about Ross being a dumpster 4th OF profile, and the list goes on...

By the way, Thanks for the grammar lesson. I wouldnt throw those stones to hard though if I were you...

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Thanks. I guess we dont need an edit button afterall...You got that covered...lonley little man

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Softy is a master of the obvious. and quite a good spell checker too.  Only thing is Ross hitting 20+ bombs, holding a .280 AVG and a .500+ SLG with an .847OPS isnt exactly 4th OF profile...More like everyday starter...

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Your stating the obvious with CC and lackey. Nothing new there. The 'lemon" is, and always will be a lead off hitter, not a hr hitter. He may hit 20, but 32 was his dream year IMO. that wont be a yearly occurrence. Good thing that lemon and his reverse-pivot swing won the game for us tonight, huh.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1913? LOL