Players Sox need to pursue via trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Players Sox need to pursue via trade

Paul Konerko - Papi should be exiting after hurting fans' feeling and wanting to play for long hated rival Yankees.  We need someone who can replace Papi and I think Paul Konerko will do the job.  He has knowledge, leadership, skills.  Perfect guy to lead this team next season.  DH and time to time 1B when Agon needs to refresh his legs.  (A package built around Youk)

Adam Dunn - I know everyone's gonna say "Adam Dunn???" Well, I'm willing to take my chances if I can dump Lackey.  Adam Dunn just had one really bad year.  Except that, he's one of the top offensive force in the league.  He was putting up 40+ HRs every year.  He could be our DH/1B or even RF(Yes he has some experience in OF).  If WS is willing to dump their bad contract by taking other bad contract, Adam Dunn is more than welcomed than Lackey next season.  Adam Dunn might just need one fresh start. (Lackey&Youk package for Dunn&minor league pitcher)

Josh Johnson - JJ could be our ace next season.  His name constantly floating around and Marlin's might be willing to move him.  Everyone seems uncomfortable with Beckett after the clubhouse incident and many of the fans want him out.  Well, how about sending him back to where he was a WS hero?? Well built package around Beckett might give Marlins something to bite.  (Beckett & Lowrie (their 2B) for JJ & a player)

Dan Haren - We could use Youk as a trade bait for Dan Haren.  Daren has been consistent with Angels for year and a half.  He could be our top of the rotation guy with Lester.  We might be able to send Lackey back to Angels somehow in the trade.  (A package built around Youk)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Players Sox need to pursue via trade

sean...you're kidding right?

Konerko and Dunn? forget about it...

Josh Johnson you mean the oft injured young gun that just signed an extension with the Marlins...that Josh Johnson...love his upside but we need arms that will give us 30 starts and 200 innings...not the promise of...no thanks

Danny Haren would be a great addition...the Angels aren't likely to trade him. FYI Youkilis today is an untradeable commodity due to offseason surgury for a sports hernia and what appears to be a chronic hip issue...If the Sox look to trade him it's doubtful they'd be able to until he proves he's healthy...

What the Sox need to pursue via trade is youth and the one poisition of need they have that they can't fill in free agancy is a righthanded hitting OFer that projects to be an upgrade over what we already have that can play rightfield...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Players Sox need to pursue via trade:
    [QUOTE]sean...you're kidding right? Konerko and Dunn? forget about it... Josh Johnson you mean the oft injured young gun that just signed an extension with the Marlins...that Josh Johnson...love his upside but we need arms that will give us 30 starts and 200 innings...not the promise of...no thanks Danny Haren would be a great addition...the Angels aren't likely to trade him. FYI Youkilis today is an untradeable commodity due to offseason surgury for a sports hernia and what appears to be a chronic hip issue...If the Sox look to trade him it's doubtful they'd be able to until he proves he's healthy... What the Sox need to pursue via trade is youth and the one poisition of need they have that they can't fill in free agancy is a righthanded hitting OFer that projects to be an upgrade over what we already have that can play rightfield...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]Nice post Bean but you lost me at the RH OFer. If the RS are going to try and make a trade do you tweak the highest scoring offense in MLB or try and fix the point of failure, starting pitching?   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox will need to give up value to get value. In the past the Sox would trade highly regarded prospects to acquire a productive MLB player. The problem today is that the Boston farm system is thin on highly regarded prospects.

The Sox could trade a productive hitter for a productive pitcher, but the trade value of many Sox hitters is low (outside Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia and perhaps Adrian Gonzalez).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]sean...you're kidding right? Konerko and Dunn? forget about it... Josh Johnson you mean the oft injured young gun that just signed an extension with the Marlins...that Josh Johnson...love his upside but we need arms that will give us 30 starts and 200 innings...not the promise of...no thanks Danny Haren would be a great addition...the Angels aren't likely to trade him. FYI Youkilis today is an untradeable commodity due to offseason surgury for a sports hernia and what appears to be a chronic hip issue...If the Sox look to trade him it's doubtful they'd be able to until he proves he's healthy... What the Sox need to pursue via trade is youth and the one poisition of need they have that they can't fill in free agancy is a righthanded hitting OFer that projects to be an upgrade over what we already have that can play rightfield...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I know this seems farfetched but it's not impossible.  Paul Konerko might be very pursuable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Hmm...so how do we get a good pitcher without giving up prospects or without trading a productive MLB hitter?

Sign Darvish.

Bolster prospect pool with added draft picks from Pap/Ortiz departure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

And we all know how that very productive left handed hitting lineup did this September agains crapola relievers for the O's and the ray's starting staff.

NOTHING!

Damned right, they need a

right handed hitting RF!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]And we all know how that very productive left handed hitting lineup did this September agains crapola relievers for the O's and the ray's starting staff. NOTHING! Damned right, they need a right handed hitting RF!
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]The RS scored 46 runs in 7 games they faced the O's in during the last two weeks of the season.

The team gave up over 7 earned runs a game during September. It is a Hayward Sullivan trip to get from that stat to Josh Reddick was the problem folks. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Players Sox need to pursue via trade : Nice post Bean but you lost me at the RH OFer. If the RS are going to try and make a trade do you tweak the highest scoring offense in MLB or try and fix the point of failure, starting pitching?   
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

katz...There are arms available in FA and I am not suggesting that they won't or can't trade for an arm...Clearly starting pitching is a need...but with Lester, Beckett and Buccholz all in the fold and Doubront, Ranaundo and Barnes we have the making of a solid rotation...Lackey is the key guy and my take is that they can and will sign one of the top guys that are projectable 4th starter innings eaters (Jacskon or Kuroda)...

My point is that currrently with no free agents on the market that profile to fill the short or long term need for a RH bat that can play right in Fenway...That they'd look to fill that via trade doesn't need to be a blockbuster...just my take unless they decide to give Crawford a shot, then there's tons of guys that profile as leftfielders (Cuddyer or Willingham) any of whom would in my mind be a solid addition...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kirbyrob. Show kirbyrob's posts

Any available FA would have to NOT have a No Trade Clause...One would assume walking into that Chicken Coop with the 'cancers', no current GM (and Ben's been a Theo Lackey -- all the puns today!) no Manager at the moment....Boston's looking at at least a one year BRIDGE year for sure.

I could just never imagine Paul Konerko agreeing to Boston the way things are.

Future Free Agent mulling Boston over 1-2 other teams and envisioning what the bleep happened to Carl Crawford. "His owner didn't want him? The fans hate him..."

WHAT.......a mess.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

What about trading Lackey back to LAA (eating a portion of his deal) for one season of Torii Hunter to play RF? Hunter is a free agent next season, is good friends with Crawford, and could be a nice RH OF to play right and platoon with Reddick...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Players Sox need to pursue via trade : I know this seems farfetched but it's not impossible.  Paul Konerko might be very pursuable.
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Konerko loves CWS. He will surely decline any trade.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]What about trading Lackey back to LAA (eating a portion of his deal) for one season of Torii Hunter to play RF? Hunter is a free agent next season, is good friends with Crawford, and could be a nice RH OF to play right and platoon with Reddick...
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOT

The Angels rather to get rid of Vernon Wells instead of Hunter!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox will need to give up value to get value. In the past the Sox would trade highly regarded prospects to acquire a productive MLB player. The problem today is that the Boston farm system is thin on highly regarded prospects. The Sox could trade a productive hitter for a productive pitcher, but the trade value of many Sox hitters is low (outside Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia and perhaps Adrian Gonzalez).
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Hill
    The Sox have projectable players to fill their short and longterm needs at 3B (Middlebrooks) and SS (Iglesias) and even catcher with Lavarnway..What they lack is a ready for the big leagues righthanded hitting outfielder that has the tools to play right in Fenway unless Brentz shows up at camp and wow's them but I find it hard to believe he's even on the radar given that he's yet to progress beyond A ball and he'll be 23 this December...
    Bryce Brentz
    Born: December 30, 1988
    Knoxville, TN
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 195
    Bats: Right
    Throws: Right
    Drafted: 1st round, 2010
    How Acquired: Draft
    College: Middle Tennessee St.
    High School: South Doyle HS (TN)
    ETA: 2014

Photo © Dave Letizi

MLB Comparison: Jose Guillen
    Scouting Report
    : Solid athlete with developed body. Struggled initially upon signing as he had some kinks in his swing and adjusted to life as a professional. Plus bat speed. Generates strong lift and post-contact extension with his swing. Can be slow with his load, but has made strides reducing wrap in his swing. Ultra-aggressive at the plate. Needs to find balance in his level of selectivity as he moves up the ranks of the system. Tends to chase hard breaking balls off the plate and elevated fastballs. Solid-average-to-better power potential. Can hit with power to all fields and uses hands well when keeping them back during his stride. Possesses the bat control to maintain enough of a batting average with honing of his approach. Does not project to accumulate high walk totals. Average speed. Plus arm and profiles as a major league right fielder. Improving with his routes and judgment on balls. Tends to pull his glove up early when charging balls. Ceiling of a 3rd outfielder at the big league level.

While I agree that they don't have any impact position prospects that they could build a blockbuster deal around...They do have what I would consider tradeable assest in guys like Middlebrooks, Iglesias, Lowrie, Aviles, Kalish, Reddick and Anderson...Players that if packaged together could bring them a serviceable player to man RF in the short term especially if that player has a contract that is seen as more than his club would like to pay....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

They would rather get rid of him, maybe, but if I could have an Angels outfielder, I'd want Hunter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Konerko will end his career with White Sox, he is a true professional and fan favorite.

He would be a nice pickup to bring some leadership to the club.

Dunn is interesting, he cannot have forgoten to hit completly!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]They would rather get rid of him, maybe, but if I could have an Angels outfielder, I'd want Hunter.
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]
    And the Angels would prefer Jon Lester to John Lackey.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Players Sox need to pursue via trade : And the Angels would prefer Jon Lester to John Lackey.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Then we ask for Weaver..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

Why not leverage the value of Kevin Youkilis to get a good starting pitcher? . the young talent Will Middlebrooks is ready to play in the big leagues. Jose Iglesias also. It is true that Jose needs to develop more batting but with the rest of the offense the Red Sox, can be given the opportunity to both (Middlebrooks and Iglesias). In change to that...

3B Youkilis (33 next season) can be traded for pitchers who are free agents after the 2012 season.  And will be available in July.
    Some options may be 

Cole Hamels (29) 

The Phillies have Placido Polanco in his last contract year, with 37 years of age.And Kevin Youkilis with a prospectus and a minor leaguer in exchange for Cole Hamels can be a tentative offer for the Phillies. Kevin Youkilis can replace Placido Polanco at third base and the injury of Ryan Howard for the rest of next season, Youkilis can play first. 

Haren (32) 

The Angels third baseman is Maicer Izturis (free agent after the season 2012).For the Angels would like to change a power player. Kevin Youkilis would be a good option for them. Dan Haren is also good option for Boston 

Zack Greinke (28) 

The Milwaukee Brewers have Jerry Hairston Jr. at third. Not as good as Youkilis, but with this trade, the Brewers could use Kevin Youkilis at first base to replace Prince Fielder (free agent after the World Series, 2011). And having money available to sign for Jose Reyes. Kevin Youkilis with a good prospect is good deal 

Matt Cain (28) 

The Giants have Pablo Sandoval who can play third or first base. If Pablo plays first, there will be no third base. If Pablo plays third, there will be no first baseman.Youkilis has more skill to play Sandoval first. And this would be perfect conbinacion. Should take a day off to one of the two, the other will be available to play the vacancy left 

Any pitcher of these give the Red Sox one of the best rotations in all major leagues. Just thinking: 

-Lester -Beckett  - [Hamels / Haren / Greinke / Cainn] - Buchholz and Lackey
    Dice-K available to trade
    So, True. On the infield you have  Adrian Gonzalez (1B), Dustin Pedroia (2B), Jose Iglesias

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Wow....twisting the idea around. The point of the thread is who we'd like to see the Sox target in a trade. I would like to see Hunter, if the package is right. The Angels have a crowded outfield and Hunter is 36 YO...I see him as just a likely trade target as Wells. Do we want Wells? No. Do they want Lackey? Probably not. But if I am looking for a good fit for our OF and team in general, I think he would be a nice choice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

On the pitching front...John Danks is a player who has been rumored to be dealt this offseason. I would also like to see the Sox in on him if the price is right. He had poor traditional stats (8-12 w/ a 4.33), but when you look at the peripherals they point to an improvement this season. A poor defense reflected his higher BABIP. His K/9, GB/FB have steadily increased each year...his BB/9 has decreased each year. He has a style and build similar to Lester (6'2 210...FB, Cut, SL, and  CH) and it's never bad to add a young lefty who has good control, and produces groundballs to the rotation.

I don't know what the asking price will be though...? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

Love the idea of rebuilding the minor leagues with compensation for losing free agents, but do you want to take the chance?  In order to get the picks you must offer arbitration.  With paps and papi coming off good years and both currently at about $12 million they are due at least $14 million in arbitration.  What team out there will want either at that price or above and a multiple year contract to boot? They can simply resign with the sox and try free agency again next year.  Not so easy to free up dollars and get supplemental draft picks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]Wow....twisting the idea around. The point of the thread is who we'd like to see the Sox target in a trade. I would like to see Hunter, if the package is right. The Angels have a crowded outfield and Hunter is 36 YO...I see him as just a likely trade target as Wells. Do we want Wells? No. Do they want Lackey? Probably not. But if I am looking for a good fit for our OF and team in general, I think he would be a nice choice.
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

Hunter could be more than a good addition in OF.  CC, Ells, Hunter, Kalish can be move around everywhere in OF.  They all can play literally every position in OF.  If Hunter comes to the Sox, all 4 of our OFs will have very healthy year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Papelbon will not accept arbitration...guaranteed. He will sign a multiyear deal. Maybe with us. Maybe somewhere else. So we either get Pap or we get two 1st Rders.

Ortiz is another story.
    If we offer arbitration it is possible that it scares away teams from signing him and he would be in a position to accept a one year deal (good for the Sox), or the Sox could negotiate a new deal at lesser value per year (good for the Sox). But Papi recently said he might not want to come back (long term good for the Sox). So I'd offer arbitration feeling fairly confident that he is looking for his last multiyear deal of his career and that he wouldn't accept it. I would say he comes back on our terms or he finds a deal with another AL team and we get 2 1st Rders.

For the record, I think Pap is more likely to return than Ortiz, but it's concievable that both or neither return as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I don't think a RH OF is all that necessary, given that Lavarnway is likely to be an above-average hitter against lefties right away, with potential to be an elite bat within the next 2-3 years.  I think we should hold on to Aviles and teach Lowrie to play the outfield - that would give us Aviles, Lowrie, Pedroia, Youk, Ortiz, Gonzalez & Lavarnway, all above average to elite against lefties.  Scutaro is above average offensively for his position against lefties - the only real holes is Crawford and he can hit ninth and bunt for more base-hits.

What I'd like to see is the Sox trade for some of the Braves young pitching - I wrote on another thread that we should send Ellsbury and one of the three (if we get Jackson) OF prospects, plus Ranaudo to the Braves for Tommy Hanson, Eric O'Flaherty & Julio Teheran.  Then sign Grady Sizemore, and let him and the other two OF prospects fight for the 2 available OF slots.

I do think Josh Johnson would be a good target as well - the Marlins will probably sell on him this off-season, given he will be making over $13M each of the next two years, and if he misses any more injury time his stock goes way, way down.  It's too much money for the Marlins to gamble with - I think Ranaudo, Iglesias & Weiland might be enough, if a deal can't be worked out with the Braves.