Please let Papi go!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Re: Please let Papi go!

If Ortiz is not given the 3 year deal he wants then he'll pout and whine when he signs for less realizing that no other team but the Sox will give him a DH deal.       Teams now want players that can DH and fill in at another position.
    He's 36 and could drop off quickly in not catching up to a good fastball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Where do you get 300/30/100 from if you let him go?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Agreed that Ortiz should not be back. He has been a great player for a long time and I am very happy for him that he was able to have a great season. But don't forget, not too long ago Ortiz had two consecutive seasons in which he started ice cold and people were questioning whether or not he was done. He is a chronic whiner, incredibly sensitive, and has a selfish attitude at times. Giving him a three year deal would not be prudent business given roster unflexibility. He can't field, he struggles against lefties, and he wants 10+ for 3 years. I feel like DH position could be used to give position players a breather during the season. Lavarnway - has nothing left to prove hitting in AAA and showed me enough at the end of 2011 defensively - is ready for a shot.

I feel like removing the aforementioned selfish, sensitive whiner and replacing him with a young, hungry Ivy League basher will go further in changing clubhouse atmosphere than will resigning (and overpaying) our 36? year old strict DH.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

Please let Papi go!

I know many of you will disagree, but it is time to give Papi his walking papers.  Just as was the case with Nomar's departure, it is time for new leadership, and change with this team.  For years, Red Sox fans have enjoyed career-log tenures with many loveable players, and Ortiz fits the bill.  The Red Sox also went 87 years without winning a World Series, until that trend was broken with the Nomar trade.  Everyone thought Nomar would be with Red Sox forever, he got traded, and 2 rings later we were all smiling.

Please don't fault me, I love the big fella.  I just think Papi was a bit more worried about his new contract, then leading his team out of a funk last year.  There are other guys that can fill in with the right qualities of leadership.  Pedroia certainly leads by example.  I think Crawford will show up with an entirely different attitude next year.  If Papi's gone, then Gonzalez will likely become the big man on campus.  The team needs to get younger, and I personally hope to see Ellsbury and Youkalis back.

I just don't want to watch him in pinstripes, who is the Yankees DH anyway?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Please let Papi go!:
    [QUOTE]I know many of you will disagree, but it is time to give Papi his walking papers.  Just as was the case with Nomar's departure, it is time for new leadership, and change with this team.  For years, Red Sox fans have enjoyed career-log tenures with many loveable players, and Ortiz fits the bill.  The Red Sox also went 87 years without winning a World Series, until that trend was broken with the Nomar trade.  Everyone thought Nomar would be with Red Sox forever, he got traded, and 2 rings later we were all smiling. Please don't fault me, I love the big fella.  I just think Papi was a bit more worried about his new contract, then leading his team out of a funk last year.  There are other guys that can fill in with the right qualities of leadership.  Pedroia certainly leads by example.  I think Crawford will show up with an entirely different attitude next year.  If Papi's gone, then Gonzalez will likely become the big man on campus.  The team needs to get younger, and I personally hope to see Ellsbury and Youkalis back. I just don't want to watch him in pinstripes, who is the Yankees DH anyway?
    Posted by jmmyslinski[/QUOTE]

If Papi isn't happy with what we offer I agree.  Papi has to also realize in the back of his mind that we stuck with two or three years of his mediocre seasons after Manny left.  He had a couple injuries that also could have attributed but I wouldn't use those as the only excuse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Is there a better hitting DH in the league?  That is why we should sign him (at a decent salary).

What needs to take place though with him, for both fans and himself, is to realize that he is no longer the leader as he was for so many wonderful years.  That aspect of thinking does neeed to change for both parties involved, himself and the fans.  He is just a very good DH that we should be happy to have him hitting for us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]I know many of you will disagree, but it is time to give Papi his walking papers.  Just as was the case with Nomar's departure, it is time for new leadership, and change with this team.  For years, Red Sox fans have enjoyed career-log tenures with many loveable players, and Ortiz fits the bill.  The Red Sox also went 87 years without winning a World Series, until that trend was broken with the Nomar trade.  Everyone thought Nomar would be with Red Sox forever, he got traded, and 2 rings later we were all smiling. Please don't fault me, I love the big fella.  I just think Papi was a bit more worried about his new contract, then leading his team out of a funk last year.  There are other guys that can fill in with the right qualities of leadership.  Pedroia certainly leads by example.  I think Crawford will show up with an entirely different attitude next year.  If Papi's gone, then Gonzalez will likely become the big man on campus.  The team needs to get younger, and I personally hope to see Ellsbury and Youkalis back. I just don't want to watch him in pinstripes, who is the Yankees DH anyway?

Crawford from all reports had a great work ethic and attitude, he may have been pressing too hard and wasn't acclimated to the new surroundings ( fishbowl). Crawford also apparently lost confidence in himself after the poor start and the mountain of flak from the talk show callers and forum bashers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

There is absolutely no loyalty to this fan base, except when it comes to home-grown players.
    Papi has given the RS all they could have hoped for in the 8 years he's been here, and had a stellar season this year. Yet, so many on here want him gone.

Serves us right if he signs with NY.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to Re: Please let Papi go!:
    [QUOTE]Funny how he wasn't that good for two solid years, then last year and this, in 2 contract years mind you, he suddenly found success again. Did better at 35/36 than 33/34, it's not normal, and worth considering. He's 36. Complained the past two years about not getting signed, and feeling disrespected. Complained about losing out on an RBI in the middle of Tito's post-game obligations. Threatened that he didn't want to deal with the drama, and would consider playing for the Yankees. Goodbye. He's been paid well for what he's done. Now overpay in both years AND dollars to keep him around? No thanks. That DH spot will become valuable to shuffle in aging position players (Youk) or young prospects who need at bats at the ML level (Kalish/Reddick/Lars/Middlebrooks/Lavarnway). Without Ortiz, the Sox have options, with Ortiz, their lineup again has little it can change. Let him walk. It's time. It's a few years PAST time actually. And for all those "where else can we get a dh 300/30/100? He's the best DH in baseball..." Blah blah blah, and what, exactly, did all those stats get the RED SOX TEAM the past 2 years? 2 third place finishes. Yeah, give me 9 guys who can only hit, not field, not run, not help in any other way, and I'll show you the way to a 5th place team. Use the money elsewhere, or be happy with 84-90 wins and don't complain about it.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]
    2009 was bad but he still was 30/100. 2008 he hurt his knee at Yankee Stadium on netting of a batting cage. It was pretty freak thing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]There are other guys that can fill in with the right qualities of leadership.  Pedroia certainly leads by example.  I think Crawford will show up with an entirely different attitude next year.  If Papi's gone, then Gonzalez will likely become the big man on campus.  The team needs to get younger, and I personally hope to see Ellsbury and Youkalis back. I just don't want to watch him in pinstripes, who is the Yankees DH anyway?

I agree with you that Crawford will have a better year next season. As far as your concern with Papi going to the Yankees, I doubt that they would have any interest in him. They already have several older players whose best years are behind them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Where do you get 300/30/100 from if you let him go?
    I have used this handle since 2005.

Thanks Joe, for making sense.  I get tired of the people that presuppose that Papi will whine and waste away ...

His return to form after a couple years of recovery from an significant injury - the significance may have been as much mental as physical - but still, be did make it back.

Adding Adrian to the team gave him some kinda boost.  Even with all the time out for injury, he still scared 30/100 to death and hit 20 points higher in BA than his lifetime average.

Sure, he could go into decline, but he also could very easily be as great a producer as (almost) ever.

BTW, his OBP was 20 points higher than his lifetime average too ....

He's sliiiippppiiiinnnggg .... by having HIGHER returns on his BA and OBP than ever .... 

:o)

::  ::  ::

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

You can't have it both ways. If the RS don't re-sign him, it's pretty much guaranteed he'll be a Yankee.....may be one anyway as I'm sure now that the negotiating window has passed, they will offer much more than Boston, and I guarantee he will hurt us big time. much like Damon did when we let him go to the evil empire.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

There is absolutely no loyalty to this fan base, except when it comes to home-grown players.
    Papi has given the RS all they could have hoped for in the 8 years he's been here, and had a stellar season this year. Yet, so many on here want him gone.

Serves us right if he signs with NY.

Ali ...

There are those of us who have stood by Papi through every stage of his time here ... When injured, when recovering .... and of course through all the good times.

You are correct that there are too many whiffers when it comes to staying true ... they complain that Papi might whine, when they do the whining about how he might slow down ....

I bet that a good number of guys that call him fat are burger dandies themselves. 

It is a crying shame that so many voice their negativity toward him.  He deserves to be treated very well.  We have enjoyed an awful lot of great baseball because of him.

BTW, someone mentioned his good standing is slipping because his restaurant closed.  Duh ... has anyone noticed that the food service business suffers greatly when the economy turns down?  And it's not just turned down, it's been a toboggan run for several years now.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Overweight, slow, and old.  That is why he is a DH.  It is not like we have him for our SS. Instead of saying overweight, slow, and old.  How about batting .300, 30HR, and 100RBI.  Do you have another DH that can out up those kind of numbers? Agreed.  Let the baby blanket go as far as him being our leader, our main man.  But, I have no problem with that type of production for our DH who ever it is.  Might as well let be Papi.  I don't know of another DH to put up those kind of numbers.
    Posted by sjddaj[/QUOTE]

Ding! Ding! Ding!

What baby blanket? 

Our main man part transferred last season when Adrian came on board, but that isn't a knock on Papi, just a huge addition to the team.

You are very much right - no other DH puts up this numbers.  He has been one of the best, had a couple tough injury troubled seasons, and is now back among the best.

He is the best DH of all time, I think.

And fortunately, he isn't done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Overweight, slow, and old.  That is why he is a DH.  It is not like we have him for our SS.

Instead of saying overweight, slow, and old.  How about batting .300, 30HR, and 100RBI.  Do you have another DH that can out up those kind of numbers?

Agreed.  Let the baby blanket go as far as him being our leader, our main man.  But, I have no problem with that type of production for our DH who ever it is.  Might as well let be Papi.  I don't know of another DH to put up those kind of numbers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Funny how he wasn't that good for two solid years, then last year and this, in 2 contract years mind you, he suddenly found success again. Did better at 35/36 than 33/34, it's not normal, and worth considering.

He's 36.

Complained the past two years about not getting signed, and feeling disrespected.

Complained about losing out on an RBI in the middle of Tito's post-game obligations.

Threatened that he didn't want to deal with the drama, and would consider playing for the Yankees.

Goodbye.

He's been paid well for what he's done. Now overpay in both years AND dollars to keep him around? No thanks. That DH spot will become valuable to shuffle in aging position players (Youk) or young prospects who need at bats at the ML level (Kalish/Reddick/Lars/Middlebrooks/Lavarnway). Without Ortiz, the Sox have options, with Ortiz, their lineup again has little it can change.

Let him walk. It's time. It's a few years PAST time actually.

And for all those "where else can we get a dh 300/30/100? He's the best DH in baseball..." Blah blah blah, and what, exactly, did all those stats get the RED SOX TEAM the past 2 years? 2 third place finishes. Yeah, give me 9 guys who can only hit, not field, not run, not help in any other way, and I'll show you the way to a 5th place team. Use the money elsewhere, or be happy with 84-90 wins and don't complain about it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I wonder if all the ever-optimistic sheep are in the private group all holding hands and reassuring each other that everything is just fantastic! I don't see them around here so much, but 2/3rds through the season when I started a thread "I'm done with Ortiz" they sure came out in droves and went on the attack. Where are you all now? Ignorance really is bliss, sometimes I'm jealous of all the ignorance.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]Where do you get 300/30/100 from if you let him go?
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

uh did we get that in 2011 from him? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

I personally think the Red Sox have better DH on the team right now -his name is Kevin Youkilis - DH Youk- who can back up both 1st and 3rd base(unlike Papi who simply can't play the field anymore) and you have an upgraded DH and improved depth

Despite this last year - David Ortiz best days are behind him - it is time to thank him for everything he did for the Red Sox and move on

Like the Sox just did with Tito Francona

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

He wasn't bad the year before last either.  His average was a lower, but not horrible at .270.  He still had the power and RBI's though.  Numbers that were better than most DH's.

As far as doing good in contract years, that case can be made for most players in baseball.  Unfortunatley.

As far as his attitude, I agree 100%.   Also with many of the fans attitude about him being so awesone.  Our baby blanket.  That is why I said an adjustment in attitude needs to be made on both parts.  He is no longer King Papi or deserves specail attention.  But, he is still a very, very, good DH and if we can keep him for a decent price, then why not?

Do you really think those pool of guys you mentioned would put up the same numbers at the DH spot?  Not even close.  Why lessen our team?

Where did his number get us......3rd place, blah, blah, blah.    I guess we should get rid of Ells, Gonzo, Pedi, too.  Where did their numbers get us?   3rd place.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]Is there a better hitting DH in the league?  That is why we should sign him (at a decent salary). What needs to take place though with him, for both fans and himself, is to realize that he is no longer the leader as he was for so many wonderful years.  That aspect of thinking does neeed to change for both parties involved, himself and the fans.  He is just a very good DH that we should be happy to have him hitting for us.
    Posted by sjddaj[/QUOTE]

Hopefully the Red Sox find out if there is a better DH. One who can field, who can run, who isn't always complaining. One who can supply rest bits for others.
    None of us are not appreciating what Ortiz has meant and done for the Sox. But signing him to a 3 yr. deal would just hamper the team for the next 3 yrs. Time to move on. Give someone like Youk or some other utility player a shot at helping the team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]There is absolutely no loyalty to this fan base, except when it comes to home-grown players. Papi has given the RS all they could have hoped for in the 8 years he's been here, and had a stellar season this year. Yet, so many on here want him gone. Serves us right if he signs with NY.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I don't think it has anything to do with loyalty alibiike. If it did then should the Sox also keep Wake and V-tek? 

It has more to do with improving the team overall. All fans appreciate Ortiz and all his past heroics. But those days are gone. Yes, his numbers were nice, but did they help win games like his past heroics? He is 36. Got payed well for all his years of service. It would be a disservice to pay him all that he wants at his age. It would hamper the team. 

Don't you think the DH spot and money could be more effectively used? Get someone who can play the field, give our starters rest bits, run out ground balls, and complain less.

And there is no way NY signs him. He would get half a yr. as DH at most. They have DH's(Jeter, A-rod,).

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.