Please no more "sit Drew" threads...this comes from his biggest critic.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Please no more "sit Drew" threads...this comes from his biggest critic.

I have been on his case most of the season, Stephen Drew has made me look silly.

And I couldn't be happier to admit it.

We all know that these Red Sox are not the 75 Red Sox with Tiant,Lee, Fisk, Lynn, Rice , Evans and Burleson.....very talented stars.

This is more a team that get 110% out of guys with limited talent. Gomes, Napoli, Drew and Ross will never be confused with Mickey Mantle, Tony Perez, Ozzie Smith amd Johnny Bench.

But man, these guys give you all they've got and more!

Now that playoff time has been here a few weeks , I can see these guys come to play. They may not be the most talented but they get the job done with a gritty , grinding hard work ethic. They don't have a chance in hell of getting in the Hall Of Fame.....but they are the pulse of this team.

Napoli's moster shot set the tone.

Gomes terrific catch on the ball over his head snuffed out another Detroit chance.

Ross collision with Aviles showed determination.

Drew's consisitent ( if not dazzling) play at short is reassuring.

I now believe in all 4 of these guys. Although I never thought it was possible that I would be writing these words.

So, please, no more "sit Drew" threads.

He's won me over, along with Gomes and Napoli....Ross I sort of liked from the start.

These are the overacheivers the guys that when you look at their stats you say,"no big deal."

These guys are definately a big deal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Please no more

Right on.  The big problem is that all these fans think about "OFFENSE" and totally do not care about the defense!!

I wish they do put Bogaerts at SS, and then we all saw him making a costly errors as well he end the Sox's season.

I can not wait to see how these "PRO Bogaerts" fans respond to this.

But too bad, I am not going to let Farrell to make it happen!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have been on his case most of the season, Stephen Drew has made me look silly.

We all know that these Red Sox are not the 75 Red Sox with Tiant,Lee, Fisk, Lynn, Rice , Evans and Burleson.....very talented stars.

This is more a team that get 110% out of guys with limited talent. Gomes, Napoli, Drew and Ross will never be confused with Mickey Mantle, Tony Perez, Ozzie Smith amd Johnny Bench.

Now that playoff time has been here a few weeks , I can see these guys come to play. They may not be the most talented but they get the job done with a gritty , grinding hard work ethic. They don't have a chance in hell of getting in the Hall Of Fame.....but they are the pulse of this team.

Gomes terrific catch on the ball over his head snuffed out another Detroit chance.

I now believe in all 4 of these guys. Although I never thought it was possible that I would be writing these words.

He's won me over, along with Gomes and Napoli....Ross I sort of liked from the start.

These are the overacheivers the guys that when you look at their stats you say,"no big deal."

[/QUOTE]

Well  put. I've followed many many sox teams, and can't remember one where I could say; I have confidence in all of these guys. No guarantees, never will be, but I don't feel negative about anyone at bat.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

We might learn something from the Tigers.  They have a brilliant SS, but Leyland sat him twice because of his hitting and because Peralta is a much better hitter, as is whoever goes to LF when Peralta plays SS.  I think Farrell would make exactly the same decision if Middlebrooks weren't struggling just as much at the plate.  Drew stays because he is the best fielding SS on the Sox, because he is a lefty going against mostly righty pitchers, and because he has a lot more experience than Middlebrooks.

Interesting too is that in fact Farrell did make a move last night by replacing Middlebrooks with Bogaerts, and it worked.  Bogaerts got a double and scored and later a walk that should have scored but Vic botched it.  This does not mean Bogaerts is in like Flynn for the duration.  Middlebrooks has a lot more experience at 3B even though his hitting has gone south. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We might learn something from the Tigers.  They have a brilliant SS, but Leyland sat him twice because of his hitting and because Peralta is a much better hitter, as is whoever goes to LF when Peralta plays SS.  I think Farrell would make exactly the same decision if Middlebrooks weren't struggling just as much at the plate.  Drew stays because he is the best fielding SS on the Sox, because he is a lefty going against mostly righty pitchers, and because he has a lot more experience than Middlebrooks.

Interesting too is that in fact Farrell did make a move last night by replacing Middlebrooks with Bogaerts, and it worked.  Bogaerts got a double and scored and later a walk that should have scored but Vic botched it.  This does not mean Bogaerts is in like Flynn for the duration.  Middlebrooks has a lot more experience at 3B even though his hitting has gone south. 

[/QUOTE]

Im thinking Middy ran for him because of the base running mistake Bogey made earlier. It proved to be a smart move as WMB alertly took 3b on that bunt.

Good thread Zill.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

This Red Sox team is similar in some ways to the Don Cherry era Bruins.

Remember , 'the Lunch Pail Gang?"

Some of the names will have been forgotten, they are not in the Hall Of Fame. They didn't lead the league in anything, they weren't fronted by Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky. ( okay , so they fell short of a championship...but came so close!)....names like John Wensink, Bob Miller, Bob Schmautz, Gary Doak, Al Sims, Stan Jonathan, Peter McNab , Don Marcotte and Daryl Edestrand. These guys took regular shifts and busted their behinds against Montreal Canadiens teams loaded with Hall Of Famers.

Johnny Gomes is like a John Wensink. His talent is limited but he gives 100% every game and he has less talent than A-Rod by a long shot....but who would you rather have on your team?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im thinking Middy ran for him because of the base running mistake Bogey made earlier. It proved to be a smart move as WMB alertly took 3b on that bunt.

Good thread Zill.

[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing, paw. Also his lack of experience.. The kid has gone from AA, AAA, to MLB and thrown into a pivital game, in the ALCS. Farrell just spoke to the media. Bogey will remain at 3rd tomorrow, Drew at SS

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great post.

Not much to add.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

This Red Sox team is similar in some ways to the Don Cherry era Bruins.

Remember , 'the Lunch Pail Gang?"

Some of the names will have been forgotten, they are not in the Hall Of Fame. They didn't lead the league in anything, they weren't fronted by Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky. ( okay , so they fell short of a championship...but came so close!)....names like John Wensink, Bob Miller, Bob Schmautz, Gary Doak, Al Sims, Stan Jonathan, Peter McNab , Don Marcotte and Daryl Edestrand. These guys took regular shifts and busted their behinds against Montreal Canadiens teams loaded with Hall Of Famers.

Johnny Gomes is like a John Wensink. His talent is limited but he gives 100% every game and he has less talent than A-Rod by a long shot....but who would you rather have on your team?

[/QUOTE]

Agree, although while McNab played with the style of the other guys you mentioned, he also was very talented and a legit scorer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good thread Zill.

[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing, paw. Also his lack of experience.. The kid has gone from AA, AAA, to MLB and thrown into a pivital game, in the ALCS. Farrell just spoke to the media. Bogey will remain at 3rd tomorrow, Drew at SS

[/QUOTE]

Im sure this will upset a few here that are overly concerned about our #8 hitter (Drew). He's the best on defense at the SS position and has saved us runs this postseason. Like Naps, i believe he too will get the offense going.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What a great post. I'll just add that for some reason when Gomes is in the game, things happen, or don't happen (for the opposing team). And he will gun you down. Love it.

Also, Drew's defense along with Pedroia are a leathal combination for hitters. They have it down, and work so well together. We have to have the most double plays in a postseason and it's not even over yet.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

because he is a lefty going against mostly righty pitchers, and because he has a lot more experience than Middlebrooks.

Hasn't mattered, at all, 2012 and 2013 playoffs if Drew was facing a T-Ball "pitcher". He's a zero. 

This is management's season long pride because they dumpted 9.5 million on this guy and traded Iglesias and pivoted roster moves around this guy all year long. They want him to do something so they can do a QO that will be turned down, then say "you see how smart we were".

Drew makes OCab look like the best MLB SS in history. 

Middlebrooks has the biggest hit of the series, the double to start the "miracle" comeback in the 8th inning. He's also played solid in the field. 

Because Drew's been so pitiful, management couldn't keep Bogaerts on the bench since he was on the playoff roster. So, they took Middlebrooks and jerked him around like they've done all season, back when he was hurting and just needed a DL, instead, they demoted him to AAA.

It would be fitting if the Red Sox are down in Game 6, Drew's still at zero, and Farrell leaves Middlebrooks on the bench vs. a RHP and Drew strikes out.

Red Sox management is asking for it with this move/non-move. There isn't going to be any QO that Drew turns down, regardless of what he does in the last few games of the post season.

This series may as well be tied, with Game 6 being bigger than Game 5 or Game 7. Nice job, Red Sox management, parade S. Drew out there in Game 6 and hope he finds an acorn. 

[/QUOTE]

While I don't share in your fervor.....I do agree with the sentiments in regards to Drew playing.  I think against the best pitcher all season this team is going to need more offensive potential.  WMB gives us that....it's that simple.  Give me the potential of a 3 run bomb vs a soon to be Cy Young winner over a turned double play that Boggy is perfectly capable of doing.  Let's not forget that SS is Boggy's position.  WMB is a MLB 3rd baseman.....Boggy is an MLB 3B experiment.  To me we are risking more defensive issues with him playing 3B over SS.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

because he is a lefty going against mostly righty pitchers, and because he has a lot more experience than Middlebrooks.

Hasn't mattered, at all, 2012 and 2013 playoffs if Drew was facing a T-Ball "pitcher". He's a zero. 

This is management's season long pride because they dumpted 9.5 million on this guy and traded Iglesias and pivoted roster moves around this guy all year long. They want him to do something so they can do a QO that will be turned down, then say "you see how smart we were".

Drew makes OCab look like the best MLB SS in history. 

Middlebrooks has the biggest hit of the series, the double to start the "miracle" comeback in the 8th inning. He's also played solid in the field. 

Because Drew's been so pitiful, management couldn't keep Bogaerts on the bench since he was on the playoff roster. So, they took Middlebrooks and jerked him around like they've done all season, back when he was hurting and just needed a DL, instead, they demoted him to AAA.

It would be fitting if the Red Sox are down in Game 6, Drew's still at zero, and Farrell leaves Middlebrooks on the bench vs. a RHP and Drew strikes out.

Red Sox management is asking for it with this move/non-move. There isn't going to be any QO that Drew turns down, regardless of what he does in the last few games of the post season.

This series may as well be tied, with Game 6 being bigger than Game 5 or Game 7. Nice job, Red Sox management, parade S. Drew out there in Game 6 and hope he finds an acorn. 

[/QUOTE]

Great year to be a Red Sox fan. Glad you are enjoying it so much.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Looks like the FO and Manager John realize the best move is to keep Drew at SS. They are absolutely right too.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

I ask "Unanimous Consent to stand behind JF, BenC and Stephen Drew(and the Red Sox team) as we go up against a formidable foe," knowing in advance the Tea Party repesentative and his most recent associate choose to vote no.

Too bad for them--nice post by Zilla and 95% of the posters. Go Sox find a way Buch to control the Tiger bats and may the Sox bats make a resounding charge, as the Cards did last night, vs the soon to be AL Cy Young winner--leave no doubt about why we finished on top in the AL.

Good luck to all Sox players, Coaches and Red Sox Nation. If not tonight, tomorrow or next year.

19. This post has been removed.