Posada best DH money can buy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from playoffredsox. Show playoffredsox's posts

Posada best DH money can buy?

.174 average.

Why would the Yankees not bring up Jesus Montero?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Posada best DH money can buy?

They pinch-hit Jones for Posada last night.  It's a tough situation for them considering how good a hitter Posada has been, his status and his salary.  But with his continued struggles and the team's recent problems scoring runs, the move to Montero is probably very close.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I think they are taking a page out of the Red Sox book from a few years ago.  Posada has been a huge part of that team's success over the past decade and a half.  People were ready to give up on Ortiz a few years ago and it was around this time that he broke out.  That's not to say that Posada's leash is getting shorter and shorter by the day.  I expect Montero to be up in about 2 weeks of Posada doesn't start turning things around.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from saintJ. Show saintJ's posts

Posada is 40, while great in his prime he is done.  How many 40 year old, even non catchers, have hit for power or average?  Bring up the kid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I know this was discussed ad nauseum in threads last week, but this is only the first time this issue has popped up for the Yankees.  They're looking at this same problem at least two more times (Jeter & Rivera) in the future unless those two decide to voluntarially walk away while they can still play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

Imagine if the Skankees had taken N Cafardo's offseason advise and signed Man-Ram to platoon with Posada at DH?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

In Response to Re: Posada best DH money can buy?:
    [QUOTE]Imagine if the Skankees had taken N Cafardo's offseason advise and signed Man-Ram to platoon with Posada at DH?
    Posted by JoeFoyFan[/QUOTE]

They would have been in same situation - ManRam stays home retired to avoid drug investigation, and Posada struggles.

In the post steroids era, there is not going to be any superstar 35+ batter.  Yanks are going to be writing off major portions of ARod's contract.  Posada should retire, and Yanks should bring up Montero soon as they can so he can have enough big league at bats before playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]Imagine if the Skankees had taken N Cafardo's offseason advise and signed Man-Ram to platoon with Posada at DH?
    Posted by JoeFoyFan[/QUOTE]

Then they'd still have a slumping catcher/DH and a suspended (for 100 games) DH.  Can you imagine the NY press' reaction to that?  Priceless!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

Where are the comments from Yankee fans? Where is their honesty and realism? It is perfectly understandable for a Yankee fan to vent once in awhile, Red Sox fans do it all of the time and have it down to a science. Fellow Sox fans are very tolerant and forgiving of such behavior. Why can't our Yankee contingent be like that?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Posada best DH money can buy? : Then they'd still have a slumping catcher/DH and a suspended (for 100 games) DH.  Can you imagine the NY press' reaction to that?  Priceless!
    Posted by gr82bme[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Posada best DH money can buy? : Then they'd still have a slumping catcher/DH and a suspended (for 100 games) DH.  Can you imagine the NY press' reaction to that?  Priceless!
    Posted by gr82bme[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY! The media drama would have been worth the price of admission!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Where are the comments from Yankee fans? Where is their honesty and realism? It is perfectly understandable for a Yankee fan to vent once in awhile, Red Sox fans do it all of the time and have it down to a science. Fellow Sox fans are very tolerant and forgiving of such behavior. Why can't our Yankee contingent be like that?                     

what's to comment on pike ?

that I think dunn is the  best DH money can buy

besides it's not always about how many it's about when

posada got two big hits last week one a PH

as far as montero goes

why they won't bring him up ?

I believe it's 1 of 2 reasons

nyyfans will believe one 

while some sox fans need to believe the other

1) we think he needs to play everyday to become a mlb catcher

2) every scout is wrong and they don't want him to lose his trade value

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

[QUOTE]Where are the comments from Yankee fans? Where is their honesty and realism? It is perfectly understandable for a Yankee fan to vent once in awhile, Red Sox fans do it all of the time and have it down to a science. Fellow Sox fans are very tolerant and forgiving of such behavior. Why can't our Yankee contingent be like that?                      what's to comment on pike ? that I think dunn is the  best DH money can buy besides it's not always about how many it's about when posada got two big hits last week one a PH as far as montero goes why they won't bring him up ? I believe it's 1 of 2 reasons nyyfans will believe one  while some sox fans need to believe the other 1) we think he needs to play everyday to become a mlb catcher 2) every scout is wrong and they don't want him to lose his trade value
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Did Cashman give Posada a contract that was one year too long.  If so, couldn't you possibly have Dunn on your roster now?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Posada best DH money can buy? : They would have been in same situation - ManRam stays home retired to avoid drug investigation, and Posada struggles. In the post steroids era, there is not going to be any superstar 35+ batter.  Yanks are going to be writing off major portions of ARod's contract.  Posada should retire, and Yanks should bring up Montero soon as they can so he can have enough big league at bats before playoffs.

Posted by blingblang[/QUOTE]

I think they are waiting til June to bring Montero up because it delays the clock on his major league service time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

It's sad to see Jorge going out like this. He's a class act, a true Yankee, who I've always respected. Even with all the big bats they've had over the years, Posada was always the last guy I wanted to see at the plate with the winning run on second. In his prime, he was so clutch.

(It was hit hit against Pedro in the '03 ALCS that caused me to throw a balled-up pair of sox at the television, which missed and send some video tapes crashing to the floor, which set off our alarm. But I digress).

I hope he turns things around ... just as long as he never hurts us and his team loses the rest of its games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Did Cashman give Posada a contract that was one year too long. 

come on pike even 4U that seems like a silly question

of course he did, the question is why ?

a lot of people think the mets offer was legit

that said

how many FA contracts aren't to
    long

If so, couldn't you possibly have Dunn on your roster now?

great point pike

TG they signed posada 1 yr to long

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

which missed and send some video tapes crashing to the floor, which set off our alarm. But I digress).

LOL  LloydDobler

BTW I tried to bump your thread ( with an update) the other day

and they closed it

what's up with that chit

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Posada is past his prime. 

The Yankees will make a move at the trading deadline and get a bat or two. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

[QUOTE]Where are the comments from Yankee fans? Where is their honesty and realism? It is perfectly understandable for a Yankee fan to vent once in awhile, Red Sox fans do it all of the time and have it down to a science. Fellow Sox fans are very tolerant and forgiving of such behavior. Why can't our Yankee contingent be like that?
    Posted by Babe-Ted[/QUOTE]

TIRED ACT

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]I read this in EPSN Insider today: From the looks of it, it seems like Montero is far from anything special. I guess they would be better off trading him before people find out he's overatched by Triple A pitching. Jesus Montero, C, Yankees There has been a spotlight on the Yankees' DH slot of late, but Montero hasn't exactly forced the issue with his bat. He's hitting .311 thus far, but with little power and the reports of his defense behind the plate continue to be negative. As I've mentioned before, we also must monitor his teammate, Jorge Vazquez, a 31-year-old first baseman signed out of the Mexican League. He swings at about everything but has hit 17 homers and batted .301 thus far. We just don't know if either player will get a look in the near future. Also, Montero could still be trade bait (for a starting pitcher), just as he was last season. Projected role and fantasy utility: If Montero comes up, I think he's probably worth a look at the catcher slot in most mixed leagues because he has the ability to hit for both average and power. It's just a question of how quickly it all comes together for him. Vazquez, meanwhile, would be an AL-only consideration as a pure power-category play.

Posted by playoffredsox[/QUOTE]

So hitting .311 shows that he's overmatched by AAA pitching?

So, according to your logic, every member of the red flops not named adrian gonzalez must be overmatched by big league pitching.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Montero's batting avg. is OK but his OPS is not that great so far this year, not many walks or exta-base hits.  Still, he's only 21. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]I read this in EPSN Insider today: From the looks of it, it seems like Montero is far from anything special. I guess they would be better off trading him before people find out he's overatched by Triple A pitching. Jesus Montero, C, Yankees There has been a spotlight on the Yankees' DH slot of late, but Montero hasn't exactly forced the issue with his bat. He's hitting .311 thus far, but with little power and the reports of his defense behind the plate continue to be negative. As I've mentioned before, we also must monitor his teammate, Jorge Vazquez, a 31-year-old first baseman signed out of the Mexican League. He swings at about everything but has hit 17 homers and batted .301 thus far. We just don't know if either player will get a look in the near future. Also, Montero could still be trade bait (for a starting pitcher), just as he was last season. Projected role and fantasy utility: If Montero comes up, I think he's probably worth a look at the catcher slot in most mixed leagues because he has the ability to hit for both average and power. It's just a question of how quickly it all comes together for him. Vazquez, meanwhile, would be an AL-only consideration as a pure power-category play.
    Posted by playoffredsox[/QUOTE]

did you read your own post

''he has the ability to hit for both average and power.

It's just a question of how quickly it all comes together for him.''

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Law on Montero: He’s pressing

May 31, 2011 by Brien@IIATMS

Keith Law has an updated top 25 prospect list (Insider required) and he has top Yankees prospect Jesus Montero up a spot in 3rd, even though Montero has had an odd start to the season and is currently in a bit of a slump. Here’s what Law is hearing about Montero:

I’m holding on this one, because I think he’ll hit and no one is reporting anything significantly wrong with him except over-eagerness at the plate; I imagine there’s some frustration that the Yankees are employing a guy hitting .174/.292/.348 in a spot Montero could fill.

That’s pretty much what all I’ve been able to gather from second hand information and statistics on Montero as well. There’s no real sign that he’s regressed per se, he just seems to be pressing a bit rather than exercising patience at the plate. I don’t really have any good ideas about what to do to fix that, but maybe the Yankees should be as clear as possible with him about their plans for him this season. The last thing you want him to do is develop bad habits at the plate while trying to force his way into the big leagues, especially if the team has no intention of letting him do that in 2011.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Montero warming up, 2 run triple and a solo home run so far:

swbyankeesTT
    Just my take, but Montero is going to get bored playing in AAA. I don’t know if it’s time to give him a look, but it’s getting real close.
    4 minutes ago