Post removed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Post removed

Youk started a post about Liverpool FC and a racist incident there recently, I responded to it....now it has been removed.

Youk made a reference to the Sox never having a minority manager, etc., but nothing too serious....

...and it's already been removed....how sad is that?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Re: Post removed

I saw that thread on here when I woke up. It is also sad when the forum gets so boring and slow that threads that infer that the present ownership is racist  over the Liverpool incident and not having a minority manager in our history  need to be started.

One should read about the Liverpool incident and why a three person panel suspended a player for calling a black person a negro. The choice of words don't seem racist but one would need to look into the context in which the words were spoken. A link to the details of the incident could have been provided.

The present ownership is not responsible for the hiring decisions of past owners. That sounds like playing the race card to me.

Yes the Globe BDC moderator had the perfect right to delete such a thread and also should delete this one also.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: Post removed:
    [QUOTE]I saw that thread on here when I woke up. It is also sad when the forum gets so boring and slow that threads that infer that the present ownership is racist  over the Liverpool incident and not having a minority manager in our history  need to be started. One should read about the Liverpool incident and why a three person panel suspended a player for calling a black person a negro. The choice of words don't seem racist but one would need to look into the context in which the words were spoken. A link to the details of the incident could have been provided. The present ownership is not responsible for the hiring decisions of past owners. That sounds like playing the race card to me. Yes the Globe BDC moderator had the perfect right to delete such a thread and also should delete this one also.
    Posted by LadyLake[/QUOTE]

NO!! The moderator ought not to delete it. Let it stand as a witness to quash
    informed debate. The story is topical, and involves the ownership's delay and indignation over a just ruling. The same ownership, that while not responsible for the sins of the father through history, has now owned the team long enough to be responsible for it's own history. A history that is beginning to look familiar.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Guys, it's possible that it was moved off The Front Burner Forum and put somewhere else.

If it wasn't, that's another story and certainly censorship.

Stay tuned.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

In Response to Post removed:
    [QUOTE]Youk started a post about Liverpool FC and a racist incident there recently, I responded to it....now it has been removed. Youk made a reference to the Sox never having a minority manager, etc., but nothing too serious.... ...and it's already been removed....how sad is that?
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]
      I wished all posters a "Merry Christmas" last month and that post was gone 20 minutes later.....that couldn't be,. could it..???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, it's possible that it was moved off The Front Burner Forum and put somewhere else. If it wasn't, that's another story and certainly censorship. Stay tuned.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

Good point '67, but it's not in my posting history, so it was 86'ed, 10-4?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

The offensive word was the reason. " A mind is a terrible thing to waste", so says the classic motto of the UNCF. Can't tell you what UNCF stands for though, their website doesn't acknlowledge it either...it does pay homage to the concept that there are emblems for ideas...

The Symbol

The UNCF symbol resembles a torch. Traditionally, torches have been used to represent knowledge and enlightenment. UNCF uses a flame and torch base to represent how the organization lights the way for advanced learning and leadership. The flame represents the light of knowledge that all UNCF students seek.

Just don't try to seek the light of knowledge of what the letters U-N-C-F stand for. Sheesh the natural outcome of political correctness run amok. What's next? Youtube voice overs of MLK? From every post on BDC, LET FREEDOM RING!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

I can remember in the early 1960s that the proper word to use was "Negro" and many were upset when people of color were called blacks. In the heat of competition of a very physical contact sport sech as futbal what would have happened if the negro or black player had lost his temper and called the caucasion player "whitey" or "honkie"? I just think that the six game suspension was excessive. Maybe the players should be reprimanded and fined based on the context and tone of the voice when the "insult" was made. The ruling was considered excessive by Liverpool ownership. why didn't you post links to the details of this incident that you are exaggerating and blowing out of proportion?

UNCF = United Negro College Fund, am I missing something?

The present ownership has only hired two managers and both are Italians. How far is Italy from Africa? Francona and Valentine aren't WASPS from Northern Scotland. Aren't you looking for a story that isn't there?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]I can remember in the early 1960s that the proper word to use was "Negro" and many were upset when people of color were called blacks. In the heat of competition of a very physical contact sport sech as futbal what would have happened if the negro or black player had lost his temper and called the caucasion player "whitey" or "honkie"? I just think that the six game suspension was excessive. Maybe the players should be reprimanded and fined based on the context and tone of the voice when the "insult" was made. The ruling was considered excessive by Liverpool ownership. why didn't you post links to the details of this incident that you are exaggerating and blowing out of proportion? UNCF = United Negro College Fund, am I missing something? The present ownership has only hired two managers and both are Italians. How far is Italy from Africa? Francona and Valentine aren't WASPS from Northern Scotland. Aren't you looking for a story that isn't there?

Yeah, I could have added a link, but hey that's what GOOGLE is for right? UNCF. does not stand for what you said it does. To think that hiring an Italian manager breaks the color barrier is both insulting and freaking hilarious, you're a real card.
     I have not exagerated anything, nor blown out it's proportion, your hyperbole is Pike-ian in it's proportion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]I can remember in the early 1960s that the proper word to use was "Negro" and many were upset when people of color were called blacks. In the heat of competition of a very physical contact sport sech as futbal what would have happened if the negro or black player had lost his temper and called the caucasion player "whitey" or "honkie"? I just think that the six game suspension was excessive. Maybe the players should be reprimanded and fined based on the context and tone of the voice when the "insult" was made. The ruling was considered excessive by Liverpool ownership. why didn't you post links to the details of this incident that you are exaggerating and blowing out of proportion? UNCF = United Negro College Fund, am I missing something? The present ownership has only hired two managers and both are Italians. How far is Italy from Africa? Francona and Valentine aren't WASPS from Northern Scotland. Aren't you looking for a story that isn't there?

Two points:

1) It's not simply that Suarez used the word "negro" in a polite, English-speaking sense as in "You, sir, are a negro" or "the United Negro College Fund is a force for good don't you think, Patrice?".  Suarez claims his usage was common in Uruguay, Evra that it was obviously meant in a racist way - 10 times - and anyone that had lived in Europe for 5 years and played with and against many black players would know that.  Common sense should make one ask why would Suarez make repeated references to Evra's race.

2) The penalty is fairly harsh, imho, but in 25 years football in England has gone from being a very racist and violent league to one of the least racist and violent.  Spain, Russia, Italy, Holland....terrible abuse on and off the pitch.  England has a very low tolerance which has transformed the game.  It's a myth that England is still a hotbed of such problems, the opposite is true.

Youk's post was not unreasonable, and not off-topic....it just offended the sensibilities of the mods/Globe.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

I had good neighbors where i lived years ago who were Sicilian and their skin color was very close to those of Africans. How far is Sicily from Africa. Isn't skin pigmentation based on exposure to the Sun. The difference between being Sicilian and African on the visible scale is only due to the fact that God placed you 500 miles apart.

What do you come up with when you google UNCF?
    Why hide what you say it is?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

P.S. to Youk, I am not Pike.

Sonics made an excellent, intelligent reply.
    I agree that the suspension penalty was excessive.
    If Youkillus wants an informed discussion then links are needed since everyone is not computer savy at Googling.

Wasn't bigot Tom Yawkey an owner for 43 years and you are comparing him to an ownership that has been there only ten years and show no signs of bigotry. Has John Henry told anyone to " get thoe ni-ggers off the field who were auditioning for a place on the team ( Mays & Robinson?). Tom Yawkey was not only a bigot but hired the best of them, Joe Cronin and Pinky Higgins. Don't preach to me about bigotry on the Red Sox in decades past. I've read all of the books.

My gripe with youkillus is to forget those years. We lost ten pennants because of Yawkey's bigotry but that is now irrelevant. That is water that went over the dam decades ago.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

U-N-C-F= ?? Check their website, and get back to me...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I guess maybe the powers that be thought that Liverpool soccer was not a proper subject for a Red Sox BB thread.  What's next?  A discussion about tennis attire? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]I guess maybe the powers that be thought that Liverpool soccer was not a proper subject for a Red Sox BB thread.  What's next?  A discussion about tennis attire? 
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

That's weak, Joe. The teams have the same ownership, and it's the dead of winter, the lead story is Carmona impersonating some stiff from the DR...a little truth telling should be OK, tennis? ...Not.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

UNCF - checked it all out on Google. Now you present you argument or position. I'm getting tired of you being cryptic and secretive. Don't raise controversy. Elaborate and discuss.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Post removed :  That's weak, Joe. The teams have the same ownership, and it's the dead of winter, the lead story is Carmona impersonating some stiff from the DR...a little truth telling should be OK, tennis? ...Not.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

It's a story about a different sport in a different country.  I have no interest in soccer, even less interest in overseas soccer, my newspaper carries no scores of soccer games, and I could not possibly care less that two of the players had an argument.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Post removed :  Good point '67, but it's not in my posting history, so it was 86'ed, 10-4?
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

Ouch. Then you've got a legit beef, Youk.

Strange, bewildering move. Why would they do that?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]UNCF - checked it all out on Google. Now you present you argument or position. I'm getting tired of you being cryptic and secretive. Don't raise controversy. Elaborate and discuss.
     Okay, I'm gonna say this real s-l-o-w, so you can keep up. You posted that UNCF= United Ne--- College Fund, it doesn't. It did once, in a different time, but not now. Their own website, UNCF.com makes no reference to it's former name. Why? because it's not polite to use the word Neg--. Even though GOOGLE places the words on their anticipatory search screen as you type, does not mean it is legit. It's the same word used by the soccer player that caused the controversy...understand?
      MLK used the word extensively in his epic "Dream" speech. Of course the times were different and it was accepted in general english usage. This week included the MLK Holiday, Boston.com would apparently take down a thread that celebrated that monumentous speech by showing it's text...that why I say in the words of MLK, "Let Freedom Ring!"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

They are going to host a soccer match at Fenway this year but I guess that has nothing to do with the Red Sox (Fenway Park, one of the teams are owned by the same owner of the Sox Sealed)... so nobody better start a thread about that - totally unrelated to a Red Sox forum.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]They are going to host a soccer match at Fenway this year but I guess that has nothing to do with the Red Sox (Fenway Park, one of the teams are owned by the same owner of the Sox  )... so nobody better start a thread about that - totally unrelated to a Red Sox forum.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Burrito, the rest of the story is how JH handled it. It appears like he's pulling back and away, his business JWH, is managing about 1/8th of the funds they once did. The Sox stood pat at the Trade deadline...lost their long time manager after he admittedly lost the team, the GM skipped out early on his contract, and it's been a relatively quiet winter, and the soccer team has player issues. Recent leadership trends are not showing good outcomes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

I was initially quite upset about the Suarez suspension (it seemed a bit draconian at the outset), especially because Liverpool, while a strong defensive club, has had limited success with its current crop of forwards.  The eight game suspension effectively killed their chances for a fourth place finish, and a Champions League berth. Suarez was probably the best striker they had, especially because Andy Carroll is not having a good year. But my wife, who is a huge Liverpool fan (and has made me one as well) and has been to Anfield a number of times in the past 5 years, has repeatedly said that the problem of racism is alive and well among fans and players.  While she would agree it has gotten better, she talked about hearing racist taunts and comments by fans in EVERY match she has attended in the past few years.  She too thinks that the Suarez suspension might be excessive, especially because the evidence is more "he said, she said".  Nonetheless, while England has made real progress in this area, my wife believes that the issue is alive and well in English foootball and British society as well, despite any progress....... 

“Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I understand, I was teasing Joebreidey for saying it was irrelevant.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

I've used the term blacks since the middle 1960s. Why, because that is what society started using. Later I learned that they preferred to br called African-americans. Still throughout the last forty years it never occured to me that using the term Negroe was an insult. I would talk about old Negroe spirituals in their company and it never occured that I was insulting them. I guess that I was out of the politically correct loop.

Just found this  - FYI

The word “Negro” is used in the English-speaking world to refer to a person of black ancestry or appearance, whether of African descent or not. The word negro means 'black' in Spanish and Portuguese, from the Latin niger, 'black', probably from a Proto-Indo-European root *nekw-, 'to be dark', akin to *nokw- 'night'.[1][2]

"Negro" superseded "colored" as the most polite terminology, at a time when "black" was more offensive.[3] This usage was accepted as normal, even by people classified as Negroes, until the later Civil Rights movement in the late 1960s. One well-known example is the identification by Martin Luther King, Jr. of his own race as 'Negro' in his famous 1963 speech I Have a Dream.

During the American Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s, some African-American leaders in the United States, notably Malcolm X, objected to the word, preferring Black,[4] because they associated the word Negro with the long history of slavery, segregation, and discrimination that treated African Americans as second class citizens, or worse.

Since the late 1960s, various other terms have been more widespread in popular usage. These include "Black", "Black African", "Afro-American" (in use from the late 1960s to 1990) and "African American" (used in the United States to refer to Black Americans, peoples often referred to in the past as American Negroes).[5]

The term "Negro" is still used in some historical contexts, such as in the name of the United Negro College Fund[6][7] and the Negro league in sports.

The United States Census Bureau announced that "Negro" would be included on the 2010 United States Census, alongside "Black" and "African-American" because some older Black Americans nevertheless self-identify with the term.[8

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]I understand, I was teasing Joebreidey for saying it was irrelevant.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

In context of the Red Sox, two guys on the other side of the pond having an argument is irrelevant.  I don't it will cost us or gain us any victories.