Predict a lineup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Predict a lineup

Now that the roster's pretty much set, I'm thinking about what the lineup will look like. Here's my stab at a lineup.

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

Victorino

Gomes/Nava

Salty/Ross

Drew

Kalish could end up taking Nava's place if he has a strong spring.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Predict a lineup

Victorino

pedey

big numbah 2

Naps

Papi

WMB

Gomes/platoon partner

Salty/ross

Drew

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ells has the best splits vs LH & RHP so I think he should leadoff. If he starts mashing like in 2011, then we can adjust for changing conditions. I also like Drew batting 9th instead of say, Salty. With Ells leading off you dont want dirt trains like Salty and Gomes in front of him. I know drew doesnt exactly tear up the base paths, but hes a lot better than those 2. Also, SV has good numbers batting in the 7 spot. Ok, here it goes...

Ells - CF

Pedey - 2b

Papi - DH

Naps - 1b

WMB - 3b

Salty/Ross - C

Victorino - RF

Gomes - LF

Drew - SS

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Man I really hope it is going to br Kalish instead of Nava,

Seriously...

but yeah 

Ells

Vic

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

Gomes/Kalish

Salty/Ross

Drew

That isnt a bad line up at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Now that the roster's pretty much set, I'm thinking about what the lineup will look like. Here's my stab at a lineup.

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

Victorino

Gomes/Nava

Salty/Ross

Drew

Kalish could end up taking Nava's place if he has a strong spring.

I think you nailed it on the opener!  Looks about right.  They want Papi in the #3 w/ protection.  Starts out Naps for sure, & stays that way if healthy.

Just looking at it, I'm getting more excited every day.  I can't flippin wait!  :)  But....  When is Kalish going to man up & really show us if he's got the goods?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

I'm going to wait on my lineup projections, until the first month of the season reveals the DL members from Ellsbury, Ortiz, Napoli, Shane and Drew. I gurantee there will be lot of DL time between these guys.

Anyone here if Napoli deal has been signed.

Also, still time to trade Ellsbury.

better question: when isn't it time to trade big numbah two?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

1)  Victorino

2)  Elles

3)  Pedroia

4)  Ortiz

5)  Middlebrooks

6)  Napoli

7)  Whomever in the heck is in LF

8)  Salty/Ross

9)  Drew

Man we are dead meat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What they will do...

vs RHPs       vs LHPs

1)           Ellsbury

2)           Pedey

3)           Ortiz

4)           Naps

5)        Mioddlebrooks

6)   Salty         Gomes

7)       Victorino

8)       Drew

9)  Nava          D Ross

What makes more sense...

vs RHPs    vs LHPs

1)       Ellsbury

2)  Victorino    Gomes

3)       Pedey

4)       Ortiz

5)       Naps

6)       Midds

7) Salty       Drew

8) Drew      D Ross

9)  Nava      Victorino

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

When Ortiz & Napoli are your 4 and 5 hitters you are doooooomed. It is over,

=  )

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would go:

ellsbury

pedroia

middlebrooks

ortiz

napoli

victorino

kalish/gomes

salty

drew

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The Red Sox lineup isn't strong at the top, it's a dohnut in the middle, and it's not strong at the bottom. Fenway will inflate the season long stats.

So far, this is a lousy defensive team, a marginal offensive team, and a team with a strong pen and marginal starters. A buble playoff team.

Feel free to cheer for someone else. I think Tampa is looking for fans.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

It is true though... we have sacked defense yet again but this time we do not have a Manny, Mo Vaughn, or Jim Rice to cover for us. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

It is true though... we have sacked defense yet again but this time we do not have a Manny, Mo Vaughn, or Jim Rice to cover for us. 

I think the hitting will be fine, top 3-4.  D?  I'd say we are strong at 4/8/9, weak at 3 & 7, and ok at 2/5/6.     Up the middle stronger than the corners at least. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The Red Sox lineup isn't strong at the top, it's a dohnut in the middle, and it's not strong at the bottom. Fenway will inflate the season long stats.

So far, this is a lousy defensive team, a marginal offensive team, and a team with a strong pen and marginal starters. A buble playoff team.

I think if after last year and with all of the naysayers espousing doom and gloom for the 2013 season. I'll take a bubble playoff team...

I think our lineup will look something like this...

Ells

Victorino

Pedrioa

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

Salty/Ross

Gomes/Kalish

Drew

or

Ells (prototype leadoff guy..)

Pedrioa (is among the best two hole hitters in the game)

Ortiz (proven run producer)

Napoli (proven run producer)

Middlebrooks (a solid 5 hole type)

Salty (pop)

Gomes (pop)

Drew (on base, professional hitter)

Victorino (on base, professional hitter with speed "prototype 2nd leadoff guy" hitting in the 9 hole)...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

It is super when you use bIg words like "prototype".... I am impressed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

We know it's a bubble playoff team.  this thread is about the order of the line up. ADD much?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I would think the first line up will start with: The first month of the season will be musical chairs until Farrel and company figure out the puzzle)

Ells LF

Vict. RF

Ped 2B

Napoli 1B (Napoli will get the DH start once in a while to rest Papi especially later in the season and will see Gomez get more starts later in the season)

Papi DH ( Gomez may get a chance to play DH to give Papi a night off)

Salty C ( Ross will split road games with Salty and late innings (7,8,9) close scoring games we will probably see Ross come in to replace Salty)

Middle 3B

Gomes LF (home games) and Nava/Kalish (away games)

Drew SS ( Ciriaco will get the chance to start home games periodically)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Someone posted our defense is bad.  I don't think it will to bad. Very good fielders Victorino, Ells, Pedroia.  Average to above.  Drew, Middlebrooks.  poor Salty, Gomes, Napoli--2 of those 3 are platoon players.  Subs are good fielders Iggy, Kalish, Ross.  We need a defensive guy at 1st to play late innings and spell Nap.  Middlebrooks has potential to improve greatly this season.  The hitting will be there and hopefully the OBP will improve over last year with a better approach.  The key as always is pitching, which was awful last year.  Not sure if we improved enough there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

It is super when you use bIg words like "prototype".... I am impressed.

?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

While Ells is the best leadoff hitter in the game i seriously think we should consider moving him down in the order... especially since many of you worry about the amount of hitters in the middle of the order. Idk about you, but i want jacoby up to the plate when guys are on base as opposed to empty bags.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

While Ells is the best leadoff hitter in the game i seriously think we should consider moving him down in the order... especially since many of you worry about the amount of hitters in the middle of the order. Idk about you, but i want jacoby up to the plate when guys are on base as opposed to empty bags.

Someone wrote earlier that he thinks we should start with Ells leading off and see how it goes.  I agree with that.  There have been a lot of lineup changes and it might be good to kick off with the Ells/Pedey/Papi in the slots they are accustomed to, plus they are all coming off injuries.  If, say, Victorino gets off to a good OBP start and Ells an SLG start we will have a lot of options. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I also think Ellsbury would be a great #3 especially when we platoon Victorino at the lead off spot against LH. Against RH pitching I slot Ellsbury #1 and Victorino #9. 

I don't like a set lineup. Guys should be able to function if they are moved around in the lineup. It's a team right! Not some group of egos which need to be stroked. We need more "team" and fewer "egos".

Victorino has historically had bad splits against RH pitching. I'm sorry but he hits #8 or 9 in my lineup every day he is up against a RH starter. Why in heck would we give him more AB than any other offensive player on the team against RH starters? I'm assuming Lavarnway and Iglesias start the year in AAA.

Moon has some good thoughts here. He's right. They will not do what they should do. I think I move people around a little but his concept is similar to mine:

What they should do...

vs RHPs       vs LHPs

1)           Ellsbury/Victorino

2)           Pedey

3)           Ortiz/Ellsbury

4)           Napoli/Ortiz

5)        Middlebrooks

6)       Nava/Gomes 

7)      Drew/Napoli  

8)     Salty/Ross

9)       Victorino/Drew

The above is based mainly on career splits, which I think we are going to see more emphasis on going forward. Team management will be done more according to the math this year, than Tito's buddy/buddy approach.