Prospect rankings season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Prospect rankings season

I'm just curious, but whatever happened to Ryan Lavarnaway. He was supposed to be a hot prospect at the end of 2012 and I think he started 2013 on the 25-man, but he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth since then. Did he get hurt or traded or abducted by aliens?

[/QUOTE]

He will be in AAA this year with the Sox, unless soemone gets hurt. (C/DH)

[/QUOTE]

What I mean is that a couple years ago, he was supposed to be the Sox' top catching prospect and now he seems to have fallen to #3 at best. Did he regress that much or did Swihart and the other guy (can't remember his name) improve so much they vaulted ahead of him? On the other hand, being at AAA probably means he's first up should something happen to AJ or Ross.

[/QUOTE]

Both

Lava really hasn't been give an extra long look at the ML level, but at his age, I think some may view his ship as "sailed"- fair or unfair.

I think he will be given a chance to play everyday in AAA at DH and catcher, and if he lights it up, he may get a chance if Papi or a catcher gets hurt this season, otherwise, he will probably be traded.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

(Using this thread again because I'm reluctant to start yet another prospect ranking thread.)

Baseball Prospectus ranked 6 RS in top 101:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=22670

Bogaerts #2

Bradley 23

Cecchini 51

Barnes 64

Owens 69

Swihart 71

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

(Using this thread again because I'm reluctant to start yet another prospect ranking thread.)

Bogaerts #2

Bradley 23

Cecchini 51

Barnes 64

Owens 69

Swihart 71

[/QUOTE]

With 30 teams in MLB, the norm would be about 2-3 players in the top 71. Having 6 is amazing!

My guess is Ranaudo, Webster, Workman, and Betts were all pretty close to #101.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

That's 6 in baseball prospectus, 9 at MLB.com and BA will have their top 100 coming out soon...which I think has a decent chance of landing 10 guys.  I know they are a little bit higher on Ranaudo than a lot of other people so I'm assuming he sneeks in. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/1/1/5264914/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2014

Here's another red sox list. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Bogaerts #2

Bradley 23

Cecchini 51

Barnes 64

Owens 69

Swihart 71

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks Barnes is our best pitching prospect right now.  I still think Owens could take a jump forward this year, but the guy who has the highest ceiling is definitely Trey Ball. 

UNLESS I'm missing something, the Yankees have 1 guy on this list, Gary Sanchez at #85.  As weak as their system has been he's been the one shinning spot but they seem to be particularly low on him.  He seems to be in the 20-40 range everywhere else.