PUJOLS OR ORTIZ AS NEXT YEAR'S DH?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

PUJOLS OR ORTIZ AS NEXT YEAR'S DH?

it would not shock me if the sox swooped in with a gonzo-type deal for albert for about 5 years to serve as the primary DH. dont forget he can also play some third base and be the emergency first baseman if gonzo went down. lets run through the numbers. it will cost about $14m per year to bring back ortiz for at least 2 years. talking about 29m and likely a vesting option for year 3. slump or not, i love ortiz but as a right-handed hitter in our dominant lefty line up, pujols offers more value (at less than 10m more per year) and is still a better overall hitter than david. plus if you free him from the confines of st. louis and that pitcher-friendly ball park,as with gonzo he too should THRIVE! for pujols, it would be better than going across the street to the cubs for his long term legacy. kind of like ortiz going to the yanks on his own. 

downside is that ortiz would likely end up in NY for 2 years until a-rod and jeter are total liabilities in the field. crawford likely will be in the 5 hole behind pujols with youk hitting sixth. or knowing tito, he may hit pujols sixth. either way, craw gets moved to fifth. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero. Show bosoxhero's posts

Re: PUJOLS OR ORTIZ AS NEXT YEAR'S DH?

I agree totally but you could also play him in right field in place of drew.I always thought he could be had.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: PUJOLS OR ORTIZ AS NEXT YEAR'S DH?:
    [QUOTE]I agree totally but you could also play him in right field in place of drew.I always thought he could be had.
    Posted by bosoxhero[/QUOTE]wow, great point. he insisted on playing third recently when there was a need despite a shaky elbow which tells me he would be open to learning or trying something new. technically, we could have him AND papi back in that case. wow! he's had back issues. how will all that impact him and he's no longer a spring chicken. fact is he would still be the heir apparent at DH. kind of what we could have had with v-mart around. i know pujols has said in the past that he is not ready to be a full-time dh, so perhaps that would give us the edge over the yanks, the only other team in the AL that could compete financially. tex strikes again!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]would Albert play LF ??  that could work is Crawford could partol RF when Nancy leaves living here in STL, it's tough to get a read on AP, except that he won't be returning to the Cards . . . he would certainly prefer 1B, but going over to 2B showed some flexibility I did not expect as the year began the Cubs are likely preparing a Godfather offer . . . but, if AP opens up to playing another position, more teams will join the bidding . . . and in the not-to-far future, spending time at DH would help him
    Posted by SouthSt[/QUOTE]have you seen crawford throw? thats a big requirement for rf! then again, this would put the yanks in the bidding as well. swisher is expendable. perhaps we could move ellsboery to right  with craw at cf and AP in left. if manny could do it, ap could thrive!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Pujols is a dream for sure ... but Papi is doing really well this year, he is more than a hitter, is is part of the culture.   And he is a winner.  I am not sure the Sox need another bat, or that letting Ortiz go helps their cause.

Besdies, if they had the chance and resources, they should go after King Felix.  Pitching over hitting anytime.   Especially if Dice-K needs T-John surgery.

Pujols is a stud, he would mash in Fenway.   The Boston Bombers .... that sounds pretty good actually ...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

You suck thread author - you really do.  You make the worse subject matter available to mankind - your act blows.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

aDRIAN, PUJOS, YOUK...WOW. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]aDRIAN, PUJOS, YOUK...WOW. 
    Posted by adam4522[/QUOTE]you mean pujols-adrian-youk! or gonzo-pujols-papi/craw-youk...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Please coordinate with the other thread in which the Red Sox get Kemp and Ethier in the Dodger fire sale. 

After they sign Pujols to back up Adrian, I feel it is my birthright as a Red Sox fan to demand that Beltre be brought back as the back-up 3B.  I won't be happy until Felix Hernandez is the official spot starter and Buster Posey is the bullpen catcher. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Is this a trick question?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

In Response to PUJOLS OR ORTIZ AS NEXT YEAR'S DH?:
    [QUOTE]it would not shock me if the sox swooped in with a gonzo-type deal for albert for about 5 years to serve as the primary DH. dont forget he can also play some third base and be the emergency first baseman if gonzo went down. lets run through the numbers. it will cost about $14m per year to bring back ortiz for at least 2 years. talking about 29m and likely a vesting option for year 3. slump or not, i love ortiz but as a right-handed hitter in our dominant lefty line up, pujols offers more value (at less than 10m more per year) and is still a better overall hitter than david. plus if you free him from the confines of st. louis and that pitcher-friendly ball park,as with gonzo he too should THRIVE! for pujols, it would be better than going across the street to the cubs for his long term legacy. kind of like ortiz going to the yanks on his own.  downside is that ortiz would likely end up in NY for 2 years until a-rod and jeter are total liabilities in the field. crawford likely will be in the 5 hole behind pujols with youk hitting sixth. or knowing tito, he may hit pujols sixth. either way, craw gets moved to fifth. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]
    =====================================================
      The Sox would never pay more than around 8 mil for a fulltime DH.(nor should they) Pulos is not coming here. Forget about it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

I very much doubt that the Sox would try to get Pujols after signing Gonzales to a long term deal.  It just doesn't make sense.  And they have Crawford & Lackey's contracts too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

25 mil for a part time player...no thanks....get another starter or rf

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Geo is a big fan of Ortiz, see his comments in 2009 and 2010.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Pujols to Boston is a stupid conversation but it will be interesting to see how STL plays this out.  The conventional wisdom is that they can't let him walk but if he really wants a 8-10 year deal at 20+ per, does that make baseball sense?  I wouldn't want the Red Sox to give a 10 year contract to a 32 year old, no matter who it was.  What if Albert's slow start turns into a down year, where his numbers are way lower than career averages.

Pujols biggest problem may be that BOS/NYY/PHI/NYM/, the teams that traditionally make the biggest moves won't be in on him.  Seems maybe Albert can gain some leverage with the Cubs being interested but I don't buy that he really wants to go to Chicago.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm not comfortable with pay someone north of 25 mil to DH, but imagining that lineup is very intriguing.  

IF IT DID somehow magically happen, Pujols hits 4th hands down.  

Ells
    Pedey
    Gonzo
    Pujols
    Youk
    Crawford
    Salty
    Kalish
    Iglesias

Like I said this is a dream, and I understand why some people find posts like this stupid but I am easily entertained and love imagining it. 

But Gonzo and Pujols would be as good as if not BETTER than old school Manny Ortiz.  WOW, if only Pujols could be had for a DH salary.  Honestly for his bat, I wouldn't mind paying 16-18 mil a year but realistically he will command much more than that. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBosox1. Show BBosox1's posts

[QUOTE]I very much doubt that the Sox would try to get Pujols after signing Gonzales to a long term deal.  It just doesn't make sense.  And they have Crawford & Lackey's contracts too.
    Posted by joyceand[/QUOTE]

Who thought up this foolish question?   Ortiz might be gone but Pujols will certainly not be with the Sox!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]Please coordinate with the other thread in which the Red Sox get Kemp and Ethier in the Dodger fire sale.  After they sign Pujols to back up Adrian, I feel it is my birthright as a Red Sox fan to demand that Beltre be brought back as the back-up 3B.  I won't be happy until Felix Hernandez is the official spot starter and Buster Posey is the bullpen catcher. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

LOL...Don't forget to make a move to get Masterson back, and make a quickie offer to Cincy for Arroyo to back up Lackey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Geo is a big fan of Ortiz, see his comments in 2009 and 2010.
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]

i like Papi, but I wouldnt sign him either...as a matter of fact, I have no idea why we re-signed him when we could have had VMart as a dh/catcher....but he is hitting well again....was i supoosed to give him wet kisses when he took three months to get a home run as our starting dh????

dumb

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Honestly, Pujols would be great, but I don't think it's gonna happen. The Ethier idea really intrigues me though. How'd you like to see him in RF come end of July? Hmmmmmm.....Isn't he a left handed batter though? I think he is......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Hopefully, the Cards will extend AP and need to deal or not resign Carpenter and Y Molina - those are the guys I'd want!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]Honestly, Pujols would be great, but I don't think it's gonna happen. The Ethier idea really intrigues me though. How'd you like to see him in RF come end of July? Hmmmmmm.....Isn't he a left handed batter though? I think he is......
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]drew will be designated for assignment. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]Hopefully, the Cards will extend AP and need to deal or not resign Carpenter and Y Molina - those are the guys I'd want!
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]carpenter? would rather take a flyer on karen carpenter...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Buy Low.......He could have a bounce back year in 2012.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Big Papi is looking good. His valaue is inherent to Boston...