Questions about David Price...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Questions about David Price...

He's been one of my favorite pitchers in baseball since I saw a 22 year old kid take the mound against the Sox in the 2008 playoffs and pitch with the poinse, confidence, and control usually reserved for guys with years of experience.

I was thinking to myself "given that this kid started pitching early, he must be a FA in the next year or 2". Well, according to baseball reference, he's not a FA until after 2015:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/priceda01.shtml

He'll be 30 his first season after signing what will likely be a huge contract.

I'm confused...how did this guy remain under TB control for so long? I was thinking the Sox would have a shot at him, on the open market, at 28 or so.

At any rate, the thinking nationally seems to be that TB will deal him after 2013, as arbitration will likely balloon to 13mil+ for the 2014 season.

I KNOW TB will NOT deal him this offseason, but he's a guy worth keeping tabs on going forward. If TB does look to deal him before 2014, and with 2 years of control remaining...I'd make a play for him. At that time, the Sox should be seeing production from their stocked farm system...hopefully they continue to do a good job of stocking it, and this is a guy that could makea  difference for them, for 2 years, on a team that, hopefully, will be contending again in 2015/2016.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Questions about David Price...

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

I'm confused...how did this guy remain under TB control for so long? I was thinking the Sox would have a shot at him, on the open market, at 28 or so.

The Rays managed David Price's service clock well as Price will enter the 2013 with three years and 164 days of MLB service (or just days shy of four years).

Recall that Clay Buchholz pitched a no-hitter in 2007 but would not have become a free agent until age 30 after the 2014 season if Buchholz had not signed a contract extension in April 2011.

Price pitched three years at the college level, delaying the start of his MLB time, while Buchholz, who is one year older, signed his pro contract two years before Price did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If Tampa were to deal Price, it would cost the farm for anyone, especially a division rival. Im not even sure they would answer the phone if they saw cashmans, Ben's, AA, or Duke's phone number. Just let it go straight to VM.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The way TB pitchers have done the year after they are traded or signed away as FAs might be cause for them to want to trade within the division.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Rays need offense and they cannot afford a top free agent hitter.  So they need to trade one of their starting pitchers.  

It would be nice if the Rays trade Shields to the Red Sox.   :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Tampa were to deal Price, it would cost the farm for anyone, especially a division rival. Im not even sure they would answer the phone if they saw cashmans, Ben's, AA, or Duke's phone number. Just let it go straight to VM.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Southpaw...While there may be a 1% chance they would trade Shields within the division if the trade was ridiculously lopsided, there is no chance they'd trade Price to a division rival.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Price is a good pitcher....if Rays ever trade him, Rays are done.  I dont care they keep saying that they have a talent farm system where they can keep replacing players who walked away or got traded.  But in the last two years, they gave up alot of good players, and they will lose Upton along maybe Price and Shield if one or two are traded.

I know Rays is looking for more bats.  Why can they just spend $$$ that they had use for Upton and Pena to get some bats?  

Well, I dont care what Rays is going to do off season.  Just hope they do trade Price and Shield where they can weaken the team.  Just like the Yankees...hope they fail to resign Kuroda, Swisher and Soriano.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Price is a good pitcher....if Rays ever trade him, Rays are done.  I dont care they keep saying that they have a talent farm system where they can keep replacing players who walked away or got traded.  But in the last two years, they gave up alot of good players, and they will lose Upton along maybe Price and Shield if one or two are traded.

I know Rays is looking for more bats.  Why can they just spend $$$ that they had use for Upton and Pena to get some bats?  

Well, I dont care what Rays is going to do off season.  Just hope they do trade Price and Shield where they can weaken the team.  Just like the Yankees...hope they fail to resign Kuroda, Swisher and Soriano.

[/QUOTE]

They cant get anybody to go to that cave they call a stadium. They put some $$ into the team before and nobody showed up until the playoffs and the next year was the same thing. The team comes off of a WS appearance the year before and still have issues with attendance.

Id wait until they move to a real stadium where fans will go to. That might not be realistic in Florida though. More of a football state than baseball. Besides ST.

An out of state move would be ideal. They dont deserve a team in Tampa/St.Pete.