Rank Ells among other leadoff hitters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Rank Ells among other leadoff hitters

These are who I consider to be the best career leadoff OBP hitters past and present.  The number of AB's at the leadoff position will of course vary but where does everyone think Jacoby will end up by the end of his career and is there anyone you would add to the list?  I wonder how some of the below players feel about the 153mil 7 year deal Ells got, or even worse Crawford?

Shin-Soo Choo .423 with 31 SB’s

Ricky Henderson .401 OBP with 1406 SB

Matt Carpenter .399 OBP with 9 SB’s

Tony Gwynn .389 with 92 SB’s

Rod Carew .386 OBP with 43SB

Tim Raines .385 OBP with 808 SB’s

Ichiro .378 OBP with 341 SB’s

Derek Jeter .377 OBP with 308 SB’s

Pete Rose .375 OBP with 191 SB

Brett Butler .374 with 483 SB’s

Kenny Lofton .372 OBP with 622 SB’s

Dexter Fowler .368 with 55 SB’s

Bill Matlock .362 with 22 SB's

Paul Molitor .365 with 370SB’s

Craig Biggio .362 OBP with 414SB’s

Norichika Aoki .362 with 40 SB’S

Johnny Damon .354 with 307 SB’s

Davey Lopes .352 with 433 SB's

Lou Brock .348 OBP with 938 SB’s

Ian Kinsler .346 with 115 SB’s

Jacoby Ellsbury .345 with 202 SB’s

Jose Reyes .344 with 391 SB’s

Kirby Puckett .342 with 50 SB’s

Tommy Harper .338 OBP with 318 SB's

Maury Wills .330 OBP with 586 SB’s

Willie Wilson .326 with 668 SB’s

Carl Crawford .325 with 154 SB’s

Vince Coleman .324 OBP with 752 SB’s

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Rank Ells among other leadoff hitters

These are who I consider to be the best career leadoff OBP hitters past and present.  The number of AB's at the leadoff position will of course vary but where does everyone think Jacoby will end up by the end of his career and is there anyone you would add to the list?

[/QUOTE]

I forgot, look who leads the list, this is why I think so highly of Choo.  I think he would be a great leadoff guy in Boston but like others I agree he may be too expensive when Boras is done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Ellsbury is near or at the top of the best leadoff hitters in the game...Did the Yankees overpay...yes, but they did sign a very good player. One that can impact the game with his bat, glove and his legs. I personally think it's to bad that the Sox and Ellsbury couldn't work out a deal to keep him. I'm also ok with he and Boras choose to test the market and get the best deal and it appears that they've done just that. Thanks for the memories, don't let the door hit you on the a _ _ on the way out. Ells is now a Yank and as such, he's dead to me...lol

Moving forward while I agree that Choo would fit in very nicely, not sure the Sox are going to pay the guy 20M plus per which is what the market is for an outfielder with his ability. My gut tells me that Bradley Jr. will be our starting center fielder next year and hopefully for the foreseeable future. I could also see them signing a player like Davis to man the position in the short term to buy them another year to see if Bradley is the long term answer.

Wining the World Series after rebuilding the roster with players that fit the sox profile last year buys Cherington some wiggle room entering this year. My guess is that he'll use the same prudence moving forward and resist the new shiny toy and continue to look for guys that are gamers. While many among us pine for the superstar signings...hopefully he'll just continue to build solid ball clubs with character guys that show up everyday to play ball and win games. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Ellsbury is near or at the top of the best leadoff hitters in the game...Did the Yankees overpay...yes, but they did sign a very good player. One that can impact the game with his bat, glove and his legs. I personally think it's to bad that the Sox and Ellsbury couldn't work out a deal to keep him. I'm also ok with he and Boras choose to test the market and get the best deal and it appears that they've done just that. Thanks for the memories, don't let the door hit you on the a _ _ on the way out. Ells is now a Yank and as such, he's dead to me...lol

Moving forward while I agree that Choo would fit in very nicely, not sure the Sox are going to pay the guy 20M plus per which is what the market is for an outfielder with his ability. My gut tells me that Bradley Jr. will be our starting center fielder next year and hopefully for the foreseeable future. I could also see them signing a player like Davis to man the position in the short term to buy them another year to see if Bradley is the long term answer.

Wining the World Series after rebuilding the roster with players that fit the sox profile last year buys Cherington some wiggle room entering this year. My guess is that he'll use the same prudence moving forward and resist the new shiny toy and continue to look for guys that are gamers. While many among us pine for the superstar signings...hopefully he'll just continue to build solid ball clubs with character guys that show up everyday to play ball and win games. 

I completely agree with what Cherington has and will do with the club.  I also think Ells will have an impact on the Yanks and the their team (in general) could be competing for the AL East title if they can sign Cano and find some pitching.  McCann alone was a great move, adding Ells and Cano would be making great strides for the Yanks.  Lastly, although the Yanks insist they have no plans on moving Gardner they seem a bit loaded in the OF, don't have a very good farm and will need pitching which may only be done through trade.

Not sure how they plan on finding quality pitching if they sign Cano and want to in fact stay within the luxury tax guidelines.